BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

39 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

When I was a driver I was one of the very few that actually enforced the fare. It seems nowadays fare beating is considered the norm and trying to enforce it automatically turns into backlash from passengers or from your managers. Which sucks, because it was never this bad 10-15 years ago. Hell, every time (MTA) puts out a “please pay your fare” PR message on social media, they get a shit ton of hate replies demeaning them for…enforcing the rule?

I truly do hope (MTA) upsizes the eagle team drastically and this new DA actually prosecutes fare beating with a hefty fine.

I believe some transit agencies check the contactless payment cards randomly. But if they do, I think they would have to be police.

edit: has anyone even noticed that there’s lots of people who vape on the trains now? 

Edited by Brillant93

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I believe some transit agencies check the contactless payment cards randomly. But if they do, I think they would have to be police.

edit: has anyone even noticed that there’s lots of people who vape on the trains now? 

Vape??? They smoke weed, crack, etc and whenever used to complain to NYCT on WhatsApp they say they would send someone and never do.

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I meant to say before 2008. And that incident is exactly why the authority should have beefed up security and police responses on board their buses.

Good luck with that. Imagine them trying to have cops on every single local bus in the city, it'd be a resource problem on both ends. It would be nice to see MTA PD finally in the subways and buses. I very rarely see them anywhere else outside of Woodside, Jamaica, Grand Central or Penn Station. Police responses can be slow at times too.

Edited by Cait Sith

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Vape??? They smoke weed, crack, etc and whenever used to complain to NYCT on WhatsApp they say they would send someone and never do.

Yep, I've experienced this too many times on the (2) & the (L)... Wouldn't doubt for a second it happens on other lines as well.....

Come to think of it, I've seen one dude one night earlier this year shootin up (heroin) on the (L) as well.... I usually don't take the (L) from Manhattan, but I didn't feel like taking the M15 down to Delancey for the (J) to get to WBP....

44 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

....It would be nice to see MTA PD finally in the subways and buses. I very rarely see them anywhere else outside of Woodside, Jamaica, Grand Central or Penn Station. Police responses can be slow at times too.

Hell, I would see them more on the LIRR than I would on the NYC subway.... News to me that they're even at Woodside....

But yeah, they'd randomly ride on Brooklyn/Atlantic terminal trains [LIRR].... Sometimes they'd take main line trains as far east as Hicksville, to then switch over to a WB train & ride back to Jamaica or whatever...

Edited by B35 via Church

20 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Do you think the MTA are going to have some sort of eagle team on all the bus routes once OMNY goes into full effect? Its not practical for bus drivers risk their lives asking for fare and a lot of people just walk on the buses without paying now. I would imagine they'll use a device to check and see if OMNY cards were swiped and if you have a transaction receipt on your phone. 

Nahh they certainly don’t have enough resources to do that and they won’t do it as long as NY continues to be soft on crime. Just look at what happened not too long ago with the migrant being allowed to avoid jail time despite attacking a NYPD officer over in Time Square. 

Also if I recall the NYPD is having trouble hiring new officers (no surprise) because within the past few years many have left the force. Who would want to work as law enforcement in a city that will just release dangerous criminals back out on the street despite some being arrested repeatedly. Why would I put my life on the line to get beat up by someone who will just be released later on in the day. It’s not worth it in my opinion.
Farebeating before 2020 wasn’t as rampant as it is now. All the driver has to do is make a mistake and leave the back doors open on any route and someone is bound to go through them. The key to stopping farebeating is to show folks that there are real consequences to their bad actions. 

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

When I was a driver I was one of the very few that actually enforced the fare. It seems nowadays fare beating is considered the norm and trying to enforce it automatically turns into backlash from passengers or from your managers. Which sucks, because it was never this bad 10-15 years ago. Hell, every time (MTA) puts out a “please pay your fare” PR message on social media, they get a shit ton of hate replies demeaning them for…enforcing the rule?

I truly do hope (MTA) upsizes the eagle team drastically and this new DA actually prosecutes fare beating with a hefty fine.

It's crazy cuz almost nobody pay their fares on the Q6 but yet peeps got bags of clothes and got money but yet can't pay $2.75 for a fare??? 

But watch when people start boycotting the MTA cuz of the fare to make it free

On 2/19/2024 at 3:28 AM, Cait Sith said:

Good luck with that. Imagine them trying to have cops on every single local bus in the city, it'd be a resource problem on both ends. It would be nice to see MTA PD finally in the subways and buses. I very rarely see them anywhere else outside of Woodside, Jamaica, Grand Central or Penn Station. Police responses can be slow at times too.

And with how low the trust is with the police, having them in almost every single bus can go south fast. Cases like a passenger getting aggressive or a cop shooting as a first resort leading to backlash and protests will halt this idea fast.

On 2/18/2024 at 5:27 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

People seem to forget the murder of the Flatbush driver in Dec 2008 (15 years ago) for not giving the farebeater murderer a transfer. I’m pretty sure nowadays it’s discouraged to engage with farebeaters so things don’t escalate. It’s odd how people say things weren’t bad back then when there are cases where you can point out the opposite.

Well, i'm not one of those people who would act as if things weren't bad back then, but I am more so saying along the lines of public behavior now vs back then. I mean years ago many people wouldn't fare beat but now its sort of a thing that is commonly done without any sort of remorse. It really has no bearing on the MTA but just the public in general. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Well, i'm not one of those people who would act as if things weren't bad back then, but I am more so saying along the lines of public behavior now vs back then. I mean years ago many people wouldn't fare beat but now its sort of a thing that is commonly done without any sort of remorse. It really has no bearing on the MTA but just the public in general. 

But it also doesn't help when conductors on LIRR are getting screamed at or hit with their own printers for trying to enforce even the slightest of rules, or when bus drivers have to fend off attackers with knives...

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

But it also doesn't help when conductors on LIRR are getting screamed at or hit with their own printers for trying to enforce even the slightest of rules, or when bus drivers have to fend off attackers with knives...

Man... these poor MTA workers going through it, it's sad.

And going off topic, I worked city seasonal aide for city parks during the summer and lemme tell y'all, people get mad when you enforce a rule on them (most of them comply, some turn violent) they wanna turn up because they can't follow one simple rule. These people don't treat us city workers with respect... like we gotta defend ourselves on the job before someone actually hurt us or kill us for the littlest things. 

1 hour ago, JoshTheScrub said:

Man... these poor MTA workers going through it, it's sad.

And going off topic, I worked city seasonal aide for city parks during the summer and lemme tell y'all, people get mad when you enforce a rule on them (most of them comply, some turn violent) they wanna turn up because they can't follow one simple rule. These people don't treat us city workers with respect... like we gotta defend ourselves on the job before someone actually hurt us or kill us for the littlest things

I've noticed that issue got really bad since covid. People are so angry, they are just looking for any reason to verbally or physically assault anyone. Respect for others has gone to zilch since covid. I even heard a report on the news that some researchers are trying to measure levels of anger in the population because all these researchers have noticed anecdotally how much more angry people have become

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've noticed that issue got really bad since covid. People are so angry, they are just looking for any reason to verbally or physically assault anyone. Respect for others has gone to zilch since covid. I even heard a report on the news that some researchers are trying to measure levels of anger in the population because all these researchers have noticed anecdotally how much more angry people have become

I mean, have you seen the 20 years leading up to COVID smacking us in the face?

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Oh boy. I can't tell you the amount of times I try to enforce something and I get immediately screamed at, or someone threatens to harm me. 

Point is, (MTA) needs to do something about this, agency wide. We shouldn't have to be defending ourselves for doing our jobs. Have more police presence, speed up response times, and actually enforce the #1 which causes most of these problems in the first place, which is farebeating.

Edited by Lawrence St

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh boy. I can't tell you the amount of times I try to enforce something and I get immediately screamed at, or someone threatens to harm me. 

Point is, (MTA) needs to do something about this, agency wide. We shouldn't have to be defending ourselves for doing our jobs. Have more police presence, speed up response times, and actually enforce the #1 which causes most of these problems in the first place, which is farebeating.

I see the Eagle Team on the M15 much more frequently in the last few weeks (as in, I never saw them once for about 7 years on the line), but even they have no power to actually stop someone who just walks away from them. I've even see Transit cops working with the Eagle Team, and they let people slip right past them without getting tickets.

9 minutes ago, TyBusLover1 said:

My thoughts on this is that, they should go through with the idea to restore the B71 route because the increase of population.

I say restore the B71 as well. I also think the B23 should be restored, with an extension to Bay Ridge (Southern End) and Beverly Road (Northern End). The extension means that it would serve 71st Street directly.

43 minutes ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

I say restore the B71 as well. I also think the B23 should be restored, with an extension to Bay Ridge (Southern End) and Beverly Road (Northern End). The extension means that it would serve 71st Street directly.

Maybe the B23 is next.

A lot of people came to Chinatown in Manhattan in celebration of the Lunar New Year Parade. Although, at that hour between 1-3 PM that passed, M103 bus service was very limited. There were 5 M103's coming in from City Hall at the same time that happened at 2:30 PM. Some M103s that's at the direction toward City Hall were instructed to stay put and wait till it's clear to move while a M103 behind has to follow the M103 up front to clear the way.