BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 2/2/2024 at 11:38 AM, JoshTheScrub said:

If you was talking about this than yes I vividly remembering seeing this pop up on the news 

It's never good when politics bleed into civil services because its mostly about money, not the people.

To this day, why the TA listened to these outrageous claims is beyond me. IIRC, this is also what accelerated the RTS retirement by 6-7 months.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

To this day, why the TA listened to these outrageous claims is beyond me. IIRC, this is also what accelerated the RTS retirement by 6-7 months.

I miss the RTSs…Just imagine what it would be like if the mta still had them in 2024.

So I saw some Grand Ave and Gleason buses doing driver training in the Flushing and Mitchel Gardens area I wonder why they go that far just for training.

Also, are QM21 bus drivers using Queens Blvd now? I saw 2 today which I was surprised about.

7 minutes ago, IAlam said:

So I saw some Grand Ave and Gleason buses doing driver training in the Flushing and Mitchel Gardens area I wonder why they go that far just for training.

Also, are QM21 bus drivers using Queens Blvd now? I saw 2 today which I was surprised about.

The QM21 has two drop-off stops along Queens Blvd (83rd Ave, Main St).

5 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The QM21 has two drop-off stops along Queens Blvd (83rd Ave, Main St).

I mean using QB over the expressway like it expected to do. I saw them at the mall near Grand Ave.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:29 AM, TyBusLover1 said:

I miss the RTSs…Just imagine what it would be like if the mta still had them in 2024.

Ehh in my mind, id see them being electrified... but then again that's difficult and time consuming.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:24 PM, danielhg121 said:

The accordion joint is probably not too difficult to replace but the bus is 13 years old at this point. Who knows maybe a frankenstein may occur? 

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets retired, but that looks fixable, just a new accordion and it should be back to normal

On 2/14/2024 at 8:42 PM, IAlam said:

The training buses can be taken anywhere in the city. There was a Gleason bus in Staten Island today. During my 10 day training, I drove in all except Staten Island. 

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

9273 was on the Q53-SBS early today. Currently, they are running only 40 footers. Credit to r142a_7795

Dang these buses are nice and hopefully I'll see em on them JFK routes, but why the back part lookin like its about to fall off 

19 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

It was weird to see that some routes didn't use artics today while other routes did (due to the snowfall in the morning), though the plus side is that some of those units got a needed break.

It was a wise decision after this https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3bbZWHtpSS/?igsh=MnppaHpnc2c3bG43 and this https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3VMwBbgRKO/?igsh=a2VmdndxeGVicnps happened

42 minutes ago, JoshTheScrub said:

A lot of the routes, including the B1, still used artics today with little to no issues. Even during the snowfall on Tuesday, a lot of the artic buses ran fine with a few isolated incidents that can also happen to standard-sized units.

Do you think the MTA are going to have some sort of eagle team on all the bus routes once OMNY goes into full effect? Its not practical for bus drivers risk their lives asking for fare and a lot of people just walk on the buses without paying now. I would imagine they'll use a device to check and see if OMNY cards were swiped and if you have a transaction receipt on your phone. 

5 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Do you think the MTA are going to have some sort of eagle team on all the bus routes once OMNY goes into full effect? Its not practical for bus drivers risk their lives asking for fare and a lot of people just walk on the buses without paying now. I would imagine they'll use a device to check and see if OMNY cards were swiped and if you have a transaction receipt on your phone. 

When I was a driver I was one of the very few that actually enforced the fare. It seems nowadays fare beating is considered the norm and trying to enforce it automatically turns into backlash from passengers or from your managers. Which sucks, because it was never this bad 10-15 years ago. Hell, every time (MTA) puts out a “please pay your fare” PR message on social media, they get a shit ton of hate replies demeaning them for…enforcing the rule?

I truly do hope (MTA) upsizes the eagle team drastically and this new DA actually prosecutes fare beating with a hefty fine.

Edited by Lawrence St

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

When I was a driver I was one of the very few that actually enforced the fare. It seems nowadays fare beating is considered the norm and trying to enforce it automatically turns into backlash from passengers or from your managers. Which sucks, because it was never this bad 10 years ago. Hell, every time (MTA) puts out a “please pay your fare” PR message on social media, they get a shit ton of hate replies demeaning them for…enforcing the rule?

I truly do hope (MTA) upsizes the eagle team drastically and this new DA actually prosecutes fare beating with a hefty fine.

People seem to forget the murder of the Flatbush driver in Dec 2008 (15 years ago) for not giving the farebeater murderer a transfer. I’m pretty sure nowadays it’s discouraged to engage with farebeaters so things don’t escalate. It’s odd how people say things weren’t bad back then when there are cases where you can point out the opposite.

3 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

People seem to forget the murder of the Flatbush driver in Dec 2008 (15 years ago) for not giving the farebeater murderer a transfer. I’m pretty sure nowadays it’s discouraged to engage with farebeaters so things don’t escalate. It’s odd how people say things weren’t bad back then when there are cases where you can point out the opposite.

I meant to say before 2008. And that incident is exactly why the authority should have beefed up security and police responses on board their buses.