BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, xD4nn said:

Waited for the Q36 at the terminal once and the op dropped his passengers off, puts up NIS, and drives away. Was not fun waiting another 30 minutes for a bus. 

Some routes can end at any terminal. Probably was not the next bus on the schedule and that operator was done for the night...

4 hours ago, Iron Valiant said:

4664 is running on the M116. I wonder if the signage is green.

The displays 4664 use is Luminator Titan, which doesn't display color, so it won't be green. Additionally, Luminator Titan doesn't seem to have Fare Free codes, so the signs would just display the regular pre-fare free M116 codes.

16 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Some routes can end at any terminal. Probably was not the next bus on the schedule and that operator was done for the night...

He had a whole bunch of trips left and it was like mid-day. 

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

I can't find any information about this but does it mean anything when a control ID on a bus is two digits followed by an X?  This was observed on an express bus from College Point Depot.

not really. x is not used with run numbers internally (at least on paddles)

x is usually used as a placeholder. for example, if a b/o has run number 021, some operators will display it as x21, 2x1 or 21x. in this case, it's used as a placeholder for zero, for any assortment of reasons, especially when it pertains to the manual run boxes. sometimes, when hitting potholes, the run box's numbers will slip, from zero to x or from 5 down to 4, etc.

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

4 hours ago, xD4nn said:

He had a whole bunch of trips left and it was like mid-day. 

the b/o could've been going on swing (performing a pull-in) been assigned a deadhead or been instructed by console to run light due to lateness. there are MANY reasons why a b/o leaves a terminal without servicing the stand. just because a bus arrives at a terminal, doesn't necessarily mean it's truly assigned to be the next bus to depart from said terminal. ask any b/o. these things do happen, especially during middays.

I sincerely hope people on this forum understand that our full paddle reports are NOT displayed online via apps/websites like TransSee for a damn good reason. TransSee (for example) doesn't display pull outs & pull ins... and they shouldn't.

28 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

the b/o could've been going on swing (performing a pull-in) been assigned a deadhead or been instructed by console to run light due to lateness. there are MANY reasons why a b/o leaves a terminal without servicing the stand. just because a bus arrives at a terminal, doesn't necessarily mean it's truly assigned to be the next bus to depart from said terminal. ask any b/o. these things do happen, especially during middays.

I sincerely hope people on this forum understand that our full paddle reports are NOT displayed online via apps/websites like TransSee for a damn good reason. TransSee (for example) doesn't display pull outs & pull ins... and they shouldn't.

That's one of the reasons they pulled bustrek from being publicly accessible. 

Does anyone think the MTA retiring buses after 12 years is very short and probably more expensive in the long run? I don't really know the logistics and even the financial situation of transit agencies fully enough but just seeing how they are retiring buses that were delivered a little over a decade ago while we still have fully functioning train cars that are 20-50 years old just doesn't make sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Does anyone think the MTA retiring buses after 12 years is very short and probably more expensive in the long run? I don't really know the logistics and even the financial situation of transit agencies fully enough but just seeing how they are retiring buses that were delivered a little over a decade ago while we still have fully functioning train cars that are 20-50 years old just doesn't make sense to me. 

The wear and tear buses in the city go through is a hell of a lot worse than in other cities. Constant stop and go, uneven quality of the roads, maintenance levels, etc. While the (MTA) doesn’t fully follow the retire buses at 12 years old like in other agencies, some are retired sooner to salvage parts to keep the other units alive. It gets more expensive to maintain buses that have parts that are no longer manufactured in high volumes than to simply buy a new one.

2 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The wear and tear buses in the city go through is a hell of a lot worse than in other cities. Constant stop and go, uneven quality of the roads, maintenance levels, etc. While the (MTA) doesn’t fully follow the retire buses at 12 years old like in other agencies, some are retired sooner to salvage parts to keep the other units alive. It gets more expensive to maintain buses that have parts that are no longer manufactured in high volumes than to simply buy a new one.

I see, so its cheaper to retire buses early to keep parts to main the current existing fleet. 

6 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Yes and no.

For one, you can't really compare subway cars with buses. Subway cars don't have to deal with potholes and other things buses do that gradually increase the wear and tear on the fleet. Subway cars are also far more heavy duty than buses and are built much differently.

12 years is the average age of a bus. Federal regulations require that a bus is retired after 12 years minimum of service, or 500,000 miles accumulated, but for agencies like the MTA and NJT, the 12-year mark usually tends to be over that. There were some fleets that were unjustifiably retired early such as the 1994 TMC RTSs(8600s), as those had a lot of life left in them and were in great shape, but were retired early because of the Next Gen Hybrids. There were other buses that were retired early due to reliability and mechanical issues.

Is 12 years too short? In my opinion, yes. San Diego, for example, is currently retiring their 2013 XN60s at 10 years and replacing them with more XN60s due to them accumulating 500k miles, however, San Diego resells their fleet too after they are retired, and those XN60s are in amazing shape.

Is it more expensive in the long run? Definitely not, as they can get parts from those buses and use it on their existing fleet.

8 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Yes and no.

For one, you can't really compare subway cars with buses. Subway cars don't have to deal with potholes and other things buses do that gradually increase the wear and tear on the fleet. Subway cars are also far more heavy duty than buses and are built much differently.

12 years is the average age of a bus. Federal regulations require that a bus is retired after 12 years minimum of service, or 500,000 miles accumulated, but for agencies like the MTA and NJT, the 12-year mark usually tends to be over that. There were some fleets that were unjustifiably retired early such as the 1994 TMC RTSs(8600s), as those had a lot of life left in them and were in great shape, but were retired early because of the Next Gen Hybrids. There were other buses that were retired early due to reliability and mechanical issues.

Is 12 years too short? In my opinion, yes. San Diego, for example, is currently retiring their 2013 XN60s at 10 years and replacing them with more XN60s due to them accumulating 500k miles, however, San Diego resells their fleet too after they are retired, and those XN60s are in amazing shape.

Is it more expensive in the long run? Definitely not, as they can get parts from those buses and use it on their existing fleet.

Thanks for clarifying, because I thought 12 years was too short but never took into account the wear and tear buses went through. But why does the MTA make orders for buses to be replaced when the orders will be completed and its time to replaced the buses they just purchased since the orders take long? 

12 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Thanks for clarifying, because I thought 12 years was too short but never took into account the wear and tear buses went through. But why does the MTA make orders for buses to be replaced when the orders will be completed and its time to replaced the buses they just purchased since the orders take long? 

I feel like that question needs to be worded better because it can mean several different things.

It largely depends on the use case of the fleet planned to be retired. There are some instances where fleets were retired before an order arrived due to reliability and mechanical problems. There are other times where fleets remained in service while their replacements were coming in because they were holding up well and were reliable. The RTS is probably the greatest example of that. The MTA is not the only one that does this, a lot of agencies across the US does this as well.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:03 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

...just because a bus arrives at a terminal, doesn't necessarily mean it's truly assigned to be the next bus to depart from said terminal.

Hell, I actually assume the opposite.... E/g - if a EB B35 does the turnaround to layover alongside the daycare center along New Lots, I assume it's going to go OOS afterwards.... It's not until that bus powers on & displays Sunset Park 1 av or "MCDONALD" (like it's a neighborhood or something... I always get tripped out by that) that I start motioning towards the bus.... I SMH when people start motioning towards the bus when the bus powers on, when the signage says not in service & the thing speeds off past the stop.... The acceleration of a previously idle bus at a terminal moving towards a bus stop & that of speeding past one, are stark.....

On 1/9/2024 at 8:50 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

not really. x is not used with run numbers internally (at least on paddles)

x is usually used as a placeholder. for example, if a b/o has run number 021, some operators will display it as x21, 2x1 or 21x. in this case, it's used as a placeholder for zero, for any assortment of reasons, especially when it pertains to the manual run boxes. sometimes, when hitting potholes, the run box's numbers will slip, from zero to x or from 5 down to 4, etc.

Am I dating myself, or was there not a practice years ago where 'x'-runs were used for put-ins or otherwise irregularly-scheduled service? I remember you'd have your regular departures and then a couple x-runs particularly during the PM rush that had run numbers of a totally different form. This was also back when a lot of OA depots had simple run numbers like 001-040 instead of three-digit runs like MTAB was using. Most put-ins borrowed from another depot would run with an x- run.

17 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Am I dating myself, or was there not a practice years ago where 'x'-runs were used for put-ins or otherwise irregularly-scheduled service? I remember you'd have your regular departures and then a couple x-runs particularly during the PM rush that had run numbers of a totally different form. This was also back when a lot of OA depots had simple run numbers like 001-040 instead of three-digit runs like MTAB was using. Most put-ins borrowed from another depot would run with an x- run.

it was definitely an OA thing before the creation of MTA Bus.. and it was definitely utilized thru Local 100 before the consolidation, specifically with wildcat runs & lines with split runs iinm. these days I've only seen x-runs as extras from Manhattanville (specifically on the M98) aside from that, these days it's hella rare. 

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

"MCDONALD" (like it's a neighborhood or something... I always get tripped out by that)

i can't find anyone to explain why the B35 short sign is displayed in this fashion these days. i absolutely hate it, and i don't understand (letalone care) why it was changed.

this is why they're ass backwards.. after an eternity of the B6 sign displaying Bensonhurst ÷ Harway Av, they change it to 25 Av - Cropsey, meanwhile, McDonald Avenue or Av? too confusing/too much going on.. let's shorten it 🤦🏾‍♂️

The streets around Rockefeller Center are back to normal. The M50 makes stops along 49 and 50 Sts between 5th and 6th Avenues with heavy crowds as a common sight between Thanksgiving week of November and before MLK Day of this month (January) a thing in the past until next years holidays. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

can't find anyone to explain why the B35 short sign is displayed in this fashion these days. i absolutely hate it, and i don't understand (letalone care) why it was changed.

this is why they're ass backwards.. after an eternity of the B6 sign displaying Bensonhurst ÷ Harway Av, they change it to 25 Av - Cropsey, meanwhile, McDonald Avenue or Av? too confusing/too much going on.. let's shorten it 🤦🏾‍♂️

That McDonald signage brings me back to the PBL days. Like when the Q8 just said Euclid like it's a neighborhood. I'm not too fond of these corner destinations. It should be neighborhood, street then via whatever. The Q41 is a bit excessive now. LIB I had an issue with too. 

5 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

it was definitely an OA thing before the creation of MTA Bus.. and it was definitely utilized thru Local 100 before the consolidation, specifically with wildcat runs & lines with split runs iinm. these days I've only seen x-runs as extras from Manhattanville (specifically on the M98) aside from that, these days it's hella rare. 

Gotcha, yeah, that's what I was remembering. And Manhattanville does seems to be the last depot to do it with relative frequency, for whatever internal reasons. The 98 has so few runs anyway that maybe it's easy to keep track of extras that way. But I haven't seen an x-run in Bk in ages, and never at MTAB.

Utter chaos over at Queensboro Plaza with all these shuttle buses roaming about.... Saw Q93's, Q94's, Q95's, Q107's, and Q108's....

Got screwed waiting for a Brooklyn bound B62 at the temporary stop 1 block down from the normal 1st pickup stop (which is where they have some of the shuttle buses picking up & dropping off at)... So I went back to the normal 1st pickup stop, hoping that the next B62 out will pickup there.... A dispatcher asked me & this other dude what buses we were waiting for... He needed the Q100 & I wanted the B62.... Dispatcher told us we gotta walk down that way (pointing towards the temporary stops)... I then told him (the dispatcher) that I was just over there about 15 minutes ago & the last B62 out just blew by the stop... In a reassuring tone, he told me don't worry about it, I'll make sure it stops over there for ya... Nice guy.... Kind of reminded me of Norm from that old show Cheers, but that's neither here nor there...

So about 3 or 4 mins. after that, the B62 I eventually got on reached the stop... But he was ALSO about to blow past the temporary stop.... I honestly believe if there weren't those 4 White ladies (1 of which was pregnant) waiting along with me, that b/o would not have slammed on the brakes & just kept on going... One of the other 3 ladies flailed her arms at the same time I was waving my metrocard in an attempt to get dude to stop....

I was going to ride it full to Downtown, but I got so disgusted, I just took it to WBP & caught the B46 & took that home (which I'm glad I did, b/c out of nowhere, I caught a migraine about 5 mins. into that B46 ride - which I'm still afflicted by as I'm typing this).....

So yeah, utter chaos & a terrible job out there with all those shuttle buses.... From the looks of things, nobody really knew what stopped & picked up where - and on top of it, just wtf was doing what,.... I mean, it's good that they've numerated the different shuttle buses (although some buses still had the "SUBWAY SHUTTLE" signage up), but it's like, it doesn't really mean too much of anything if hardly anyone knows what's doing what.... They really need to incorporate the subway bullet/colors on the destination signages for those subway shuttles - very much akin to that of what's done for the Q70.