BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

Meredith is going to shut down after the end of the 2024 Summer Pick. This is due to the fact that they have a 15-year lease since 2009, and that the (MTA)did not want to renew the lease.

they leased a plot of land for 15 years, with no plans whatsoever to build anywhere on the island in the meantime, and no contingency plan(s) going forward. so what exactly was the point of having a Meredith "Depot" in the first place? is it a case of they just don't need a 4th depot or annex on staten island anymore or was this another case of wasted time/money with the "powers that be" sitting around circle-jerking with their thumbs up their collective asses? I'm seriously asking... no sarcasm.

2 hours ago, xD4nn said:

After 5 years, a NG has finally returned to Jamaica and operated on a Jamaica route.

Which one? *edit it’s 4682.

1 hour ago, RSMG106 said:

Meredith is going to shut down after the end of the 2024 Summer Pick. This is due to the fact that they have a 15-year lease since 2009, and that the (MTA)did not want to renew the lease.

WHAT!?!?

Edited by TyBusLover1

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

they leased a plot of land for 15 years, with no plans whatsoever to build anywhere on the island in the meantime, and no contingency plan(s) going forward. so what exactly was the point of having a Meredith "Depot" in the first place? is it a case of they just don't need a 4th depot or annex on staten island anymore or was this another case of wasted time/money with the "powers that be" sitting around circle-jerking with their thumbs up their collective asses? I'm seriously asking... no sarcasm.

If it were up to me, the (MTA)should at least purchase the plot of land, or at least build another depot in Staten Island. Yukon, Charleston, and Castleton may get overloaded with buses and routes from Meredith. With the (MTA), they don't care about what is happening when it comes to depots.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

When Meredith first opened, that took a lot of stress away from Yukon and Castleton specifically since they always had a ton of express buses OOS. Charleston also had their fair share of problems maintenance wise in the beginning. And with it being a weekday-only depot and a mostly rush-hour depot, that kept the mileage on a lot of those 2400s down.

At least with it going away by the summer, it'll kill off the shortages that Castleton is having(but definitely not their maintenance woes). But now, my question is whether or not Yukon or Charleston will have space for the extra buses that Meredith has gotten, especially the 1500s. Having been in and out of Charleston personally.....I have doubts.

With the fare-free program that happened just now ending in March 30th, I wonder if the Q4 took most of the riders from the Q5, Q83, Q84 and Q85 due to the route being free. By looking at the Queens Map, the routes and walking distance isn't far from each other. 

Edited by Calvin

Just now, Calvin said:

With the fare-free program that happened just now ending in March 30th, I wonder if the Q5 took most of the ridership off the Q85 to and from Green Acres Mall due to the fare being free. 

I thought only the Q4 was free? 

3 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I thought only the Q4 was free? 

Yes, it is. I was going to fix this part. It's definately the 4 that's free until the 30th.  

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

Whether or not the (MTA)is going to extend the routes free by 6 more months, there are plans from NYS lawmakers to have 10 more bus routes free, and to increase frequencies.

https://www.amny.com/transit/state-lawmakers-fare-free-bus-congestion-pricing/

14 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Has farebeating ever gotten this bad? I was on a route and I watched everyone and I was the only one who paid to get on. 

Let's see how this pans out since nobody cares about paying their fares. Also... putting more routes? sheesh they going ahead with doing that to increase congestion pricing 

6 hours ago, xD4nn said:

After 5 years, a NG has finally returned to Jamaica and operated on a Jamaica route.

They're back for a short time but so glad 🥹 

Meanwhile me, I'm waiting for that new XD40 out of JFK to pop up, I just hope they take care of the buses 

10 hours ago, JoshTheScrub said:

Let's see how this pans out since nobody cares about paying their fares. Also... putting more routes? sheesh they going ahead with doing that to increase congestion pricing 

They're back for a short time but so glad 🥹 

Meanwhile me, I'm waiting for that new XD40 out of JFK to pop up, I just hope they take care of the buses 

Meanwhile 5 years later: 2023-2024 xd40 spotted at eastchester awaiting scrap.

On 3/8/2024 at 7:20 AM, Brillant93 said:

Has farebeating ever gotten this bad? I was on a route and I watched everyone and I was the only one who paid to get on. 

Having rents avg $2500 doesnt help matters. 

On 3/8/2024 at 7:22 PM, Cait Sith said:

When Meredith first opened, that took a lot of stress away from Yukon and Castleton specifically since they always had a ton of express buses OOS. Charleston also had their fair share of problems maintenance wise in the beginning. And with it being a weekday-only depot and a mostly rush-hour depot, that kept the mileage on a lot of those 2400s down.

At least with it going away by the summer, it'll kill off the shortages that Castleton is having(but definitely not their maintenance woes). But now, my question is whether or not Yukon or Charleston will have space for the extra buses that Meredith has gotten, especially the 1500s. Having been in and out of Charleston personally.....I have doubts.

I was thinking about that too. Yukon has 135 express buses Charleston has 150 and Castleston has like 70. I think most of Meredith routes would go to The Castle since they had the less amount of buses

Edited by R179 8258

On 3/8/2024 at 7:46 PM, RSMG106 said:

Whether or not the (MTA)is going to extend the routes free by 6 more months, there are plans from NYS lawmakers to have 10 more bus routes free, and to increase frequencies.

https://www.amny.com/transit/state-lawmakers-fare-free-bus-congestion-pricing/

Just make the crosstowns free and be done with it.

Supposedly the Fare Free trial will continue for the routes that are free right now, with the article writer speculating that it might end in late September. This comes at a time where lawmakers are pushing to make more routes free (15 more in the proposal) because of congestion pricing.

https://www.silive.com/news/2024/03/mta-fare-free-bus-pilot-to-continue-on-5-select-nyc-routes-including-1-on-staten-island.html

The Old Generation buses are almost finished from passenger service. There's at least 8 units left and XD-40 units 9313, 9314 and 9315 are lined up in the back of the depot ready to enter service. With more XD-40s and Novas coming in to JFK, they could be done by the middle of spring break (next month in April) or at most the end of spring season. 

JFK also have 7 Hawker Next Gen units left at the depot (3808 and 3810 are used for parts). 

Edited by Calvin