BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/13/2024 at 9:45 AM, B35 via Church said:

Hell, I actually assume the opposite.... E/g - if a EB B35 does the turnaround to layover alongside the daycare center along New Lots, I assume it's going to go OOS afterwards.... It's not until that bus powers on & displays Sunset Park 1 av or "MCDONALD" (like it's a neighborhood or something... I always get tripped out by that) that I start motioning towards the bus.... I SMH when people start motioning towards the bus when the bus powers on, when the signage says not in service & the thing speeds off past the stop.... The acceleration of a previously idle bus at a terminal moving towards a bus stop & that of speeding past one, are stark.....

Speaking of that, the B35 can pull in or out to either end of the line (I hate having to do that on a paddle because the trek down Linden/Caton is a slog unless its late night) so it's very wise to wait until that sign changes. Most guys who are pulling in will make that right at Mother Gaston and go straight to Linden but then there are those who take a quick personal to use the bathroom somewhere and then leave. Then you got those who are late, take the personal and get put in place right after. It can go either way.

Sidenote: I also think that short sign for the locals is pretty stupid. They could have had it say KENSINGTON-McDONALD AV or something at least...

Was going to post this in one of the redesign threads but I figured this would be a better one. But one of the arguments to bus modernization is that bus stops should be spaced out more but in my opinion looking at these new bus redesigns less bus stops would force more people to not take the bus. I could personally see rush routes and limited routes having spaced out stops but to me there should be a local route to supplement those two like the traditional limiteds and SBS. 

15 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Was going to post this in one of the redesign threads but I figured this would be a better one. But one of the arguments to bus modernization is that bus stops should be spaced out more but in my opinion looking at these new bus redesigns less bus stops would force more people to not take the bus. I could personally see rush routes and limited routes having spaced out stops but to me there should be a local route to supplement those two like the traditional limiteds and SBS. 

One thing that pissed me off about the redesign plan was all the unnecessary stop removals. For example the Q64 is a short route. It 21 minutes to complete the route on average during rush hour and during other hours typically 12-16 minutes from end to end. Out of the 19 stops it has 7 are being proposed for removal but only two of them make sense due to the said stops being very close to another stop but overall why cut stops on a short & quick route like that and discourage ridership? 

The problem is to truly improve bus service more has to be spent which isn’t going to happen. As a result we got proposals which in my opinion are underwhelming and don’t truly address the needs of riders. Yes many routes do need some of its stops to be eliminated and consolidated but that shouldn’t solely be the basis of improving service. I can only speak for Queens since I’ve only lived there but even with stop removals that is not going to stop routes like the Q54 from having 25 min+ gaps in the middle of the day or the Q25 bunching up in 5’s despite bus lanes being put up in Flushing and Jamaica. Then they are proposing wasteful routes like the Q75 to overserve Union Turnpike or the Q62 which is suppose to be some weird combo of the Q15, Q20A and Q25. Then you have the express bus network that they did basically nothing with. I believe there should be some new Queens express routes that start in that general area between 14th street and Houston Street instead of everything being geared to Midtown between 36th & 57th streets. 

17 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

But the stops are spaced way too close together as it currently stands. That contributes to the slow speeds the bus currently travels at. 

I believe most people will get to the new stops just fine in most parts

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

But the stops are spaced way too close together as it currently stands. That contributes to the slow speeds the bus currently travels at. 

I believe most people will get to the new stops just fine in most parts

Read my comment below. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

One thing that pissed me off about the redesign plan was all the unnecessary stop removals. For example the Q64 is a short route. It 21 minutes to complete the route on average during rush hour and during other hours typically 12-16 minutes from end to end. Out of the 19 stops it has 7 are being proposed for removal but only two of them make sense due to the said stops being very close to another stop but overall why cut stops on a short & quick route like that and discourage ridership? 

The problem is to truly improve bus service more has to be spent which isn’t going to happen. As a result we got proposals which in my opinion are underwhelming and don’t truly address the needs of riders. Yes many routes do need some of its stops to be eliminated and consolidated but that shouldn’t solely be the basis of improving service. I can only speak for Queens since I’ve only lived there but even with stop removals that is not going to stop routes like the Q54 from having 25 min+ gaps in the middle of the day or the Q25 bunching up in 5’s despite bus lanes being put up in Flushing and Jamaica. Then they are proposing wasteful routes like the Q75 to overserve Union Turnpike or the Q62 which is suppose to be some weird combo of the Q15, Q20A and Q25. Then you have the express bus network that they did basically nothing with. I believe there should be some new Queens express routes that start in that general area between 14th street and Houston Street instead of everything being geared to Midtown between 36th & 57th streets. 

So, I agree with you. I used to think that removal of bus stops would be beneficial, I do think so in a big way it does, but it depends if that route is supplemented with a local route. Look at some of these routes I can't imagine if someone is elderly or disabled and would have to travel farther to get to a bus stop. I also think if you're someone who lives in a transit desert it would push you to drive more. I think removal of bus stop works if there are way too many stops close to each other. For example a bus stop that is on one block and the next block has another stop, that could be removed.  

3 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I heard 9043 ran on the Q35 recently. is it safe to say the end is near for the old gens/next gens?

The LFS will happen more often when they get more units, the Q21 and Q22 has yet to be seen with it. But, for now, the old gens are near to full removal at JFK. You'll see next gens more but won't be instantly gone for a while. Only time they'll retire the next gens out of said depot is if the unit cannot be repaired.  

Edited by Calvin

Unfortunately due to my age and time of hire, the oldest buses I've driven were the old gens and I only got to drive them a few times, the last one being 3771 out of Zerega. But I honestly liked driving them. That's why I'm happy to drive the 1200 series LFSAs as much as I can

6 hours ago, josephnyy42 said:

Unfortunately due to my age and time of hire, the oldest buses I've driven were the old gens and I only got to drive them a few times, the last one being 3771 out of Zerega. But I honestly liked driving them. That's why I'm happy to drive the 1200 series LFSAs as much as I can

The xe60s are coming soon...

6 hours ago, josephnyy42 said:

Unfortunately due to my age and time of hire, the oldest buses I've driven were the old gens and I only got to drive them a few times, the last one being 3771 out of Zerega. But I honestly liked driving them. That's why I'm happy to drive the 1200 series LFSAs as much as 

Do they have any contingency buses at your depot