BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah drivers are still allowed to take their usual break after they complete a run. So imagine if a bus is running very late and another one just a few minutes. They arrive at the terminal and leave at the same time and they both hit traffic and have to pick up and drop off people. The third bus might be behind them and that is how these routes are always bunched up throughout the day. This occurs on the Q25 a lot. I just hate those middle school kids from 237 that get on the bus because they are soo loud and annoying. The drivers always talk about how they want to skip that stop. I'm lucky to be going to college next year which hopefully means I can avoid the Q25 or Q17/ Q88 which show up late and always bunch up.

The Q64 is one of the few routes in the city that actually shows up on time. The worst I've been on was the Q56. You can wait an hour for the bus and that is because they want people to use the (J)

That's because it is very short, and has very frequent service. The frequent service hides the fact that it is bunched up, but at Kissena, you can see the stop just fill up, drain into a bus, then a second bus comes 30 seconds later empty.

Yeah I just wish 237 didn't have to be so... so immature. And 30% immature is enough to cause trouble.

They are doing the school trippers in the wrong direction. They should send some extra Q25 or Q17 down there to pick up the kids. Maybe from Flushing or Holly then down to Fresh Meadows, or for the Q25, I think they should just keep going down.

Maybe I'm from a different generation and all, but isn't "bus" transportation really for the paying population of riders?  People choose to use bus transportation as an alternative to either doing it themselves or hiring it out, so to speak  If it's going to be a school bus-replacement, then why should the regular-riders be inconvenienced?

IMHO, the city is "saving" (note the quotes) by letting the youngsters get "free" transport, instead of hiring it out to other operators (like First Student).  But then tells the riding public -- and this works in Detroit as well as NYC -- "oh well, this is how it goes ... deal with it."  Uhmmm ... how do regular paying riders -- who remember wouldn't be there because of choice -- stomach that?

Detroit has chased away regular riders because of such policies, and certain routes/times are "off-limits" because of the young population to many regular riders.  I realize there's a bit of a difference (OK, maybe a huge difference) in scale betwen NYC and Detroit, but in any event, it doesn't bode well when all transit agencies are trying to attract more riders overall.

Personally, IDC, but my mouth is such that if I'm effectively paying your way (in more ways than one), you'd better behave accordingly.  Besides, what B/O can really "justify" customer complaints for any length of time until it 'reflects' on them?

Over a decade ago, one DDOT B/O actually told a youth "don't mess with the bus driver" when trying to use a 'free' card instead of paying regular fare when it was appropriate.  Felt proud for that B/O.  Sure I wasn't the only one, and sure that maybe the youth got the message.  Today ... not so sure.  But we're all still paying the price, so to speak ... and from what I've seen, the outcome isn't so good.

Just MHO.  Welcome yours.

Just wondering...

Why doesn't MTA allow full-wraps for buses like other TAs?  One would think with the largest media-buy and all that even Outfront would be wanting it.  Sporadic here in Motown, but sometimes it's a multiple-buy with DDOT and SMART getting buses covered by same advertiser.  Part of MTA rules I'm guessing.

That's because it is very short, and has very frequent service. The frequent service hides the fact that it is bunched up, but at Kissena, you can see the stop just fill up, drain into a bus, then a second bus comes 30 seconds later empty.

Yeah I just wish 237 didn't have to be so... so immature. And 30% immature is enough to cause trouble.

They are doing the school trippers in the wrong direction. They should send some extra Q25 or Q17 down there to pick up the kids. Maybe from Flushing or Holly then down to Fresh Meadows, or for the Q25, I think they should just keep going down.

The Q64 is suppose to run the way it does. In the morning one bus starts at 164th street and one at Parsons Blvd. By Parsons and Kissena there is only SRO on the Q64 the bus that starts at Parsons is suppose to help people up people that obviously couldn't get on the first. In my opinion when BP gets artics sometime next year they should have a few that run in the Q64 for rush hour to eliminate having to run two buses behind one another.

So there are 2 prevosts from Yukon to Ulmer Park, where will the MCIs go and 2185?

The older 2400s (first batch) in Staten Island will go to Ulmer Park which will push out and/or retire the MCIs there while SI will get the newer 2500s.

2185 probably will not leave Ulmer Park; if anything it'll finally become part of the museum fleet.

The worst I've been on was the Q56. You can wait an hour for the bus and that is because they want people to use the (J)

I must disagree, considering that the Q56 is one of 4 lines I use to get home. I give that line 2nd place, the Q54 is the best, the Q24/Q41 collectively are the worst.

I must disagree, considering that the Q56 is one of 4 lines I use to get home. I give that line 2nd place, the Q54 is the best, the Q24/Q41 collectively are the worst.

Your right I've seen Q24's bunch up like no tomorrow. My experience with the Q41 is that whenever I took it from Jamaica 165th the bus would most of the time be a Q8 or Q9 that completed it's route and changed to the Q41. If they came late that would mean the Q41 was very late. I remember all the time a second bus behind it leaving about 5 minutes later. Most JFK routes are like that anyway. The Q6 is not that much better and the Q60 is a different story.

I wonder why the Q24 has a lot of problems. I get why the Q56 is acting up a lot because the (J) runs above and it's easy to pull buses off a route like that. The Q24 is by itself and in my opinion I think having it run to Bushwick is not necessary. It doesn't pick up a huge load over there anyway

What are some other routes that have bad reliability?

Your right I've seen Q24's bunch up like no tomorrow. My experience with the Q41 is that whenever I took it from Jamaica 165th the bus would most of the time be a Q8 or Q9 that completed it's route and changed to the Q41. If they came late that would mean the Q41 was very late. I remember all the time a second bus behind it leaving about 5 minutes later. Most JFK routes are like that anyway. The Q6 is not that much better and the Q60 is a different story.

I wonder why the Q24 has a lot of problems. I get why the Q56 is acting up a lot because the (J) runs above and it's easy to pull buses off a route like that. The Q24 is by itself and in my opinion I think having it run to Bushwick is not necessary. It doesn't pick up a huge load over there anyway

All these I've seen occasionally, but one route that does TOO MUCH is the Q44. Going through about 4 major transfer points, two in each borough as well as at both terminals. I'm actually a bit surprised it didn't make the top 10 busiest routes in NYC.

All these I've seen occasionally, but one route that does TOO MUCH is the Q44. Going through about 4 major transfer points, two in each borough as well as at both terminals. I'm actually a bit surprised it didn't make the top 10 busiest routes in NYC.

It techinically is if you combine the Q20. A lot of people use the Q20 above Main Street , if the Q44 is backed up or if they want to get a seat.

RTS 9112 on the Q17 today had its back signed up as a B14. Saw the bus going to school and saw it again coming back home. What a coincidence.  :wacko:

And also, there was an RTS 9xxx on the Q17 that is half black, half white on the back, saw it twice. What bus is that?

Where's the list?

RTS 9112 on the Q17 today had its back signed up as a B14. Saw the bus going to school and saw it again coming back home. What a coincidence.  :wacko:

East New York unit. Since theres 5100s there, the old model gets sent to Jamaica

I thought it would go to LGA tbh..

Edited by Calvin

This is what people should think about first before discussing an SBS route.

Requirements For A Bus To Be A Good Candidate For SBS:

• Isolated.

• Has a Major Street It Stays On.

• Has Artics.

• Has All Day Limited Service.

• Has High Ridership.

• Has Steady Ridership Along the Line.

I will use the Q44 as an example. The Q44 meets all requirements. It is isolated (Q20 doesn't affect the Q44 that much), stays on one single street, uses artics, has all day limited service, high ridership, and IIRC, a steady amount of ridership along the line.

Now take the Q25.

The Q25 is not isolated. It runs with the Q17, the Q27, and the Q34, which often bunches with a Q25 local sharing the same exact route. They are not scheduled properly and Q25 will have uneven ridership. It does have one major street, which is good. However, it has only rush hour limited, nor does it have artics and doesn't warrent one. The Q25 will often be empty on weekends, but it needs the 10-15 service because by the time it gets to northern Kissena, it will be nearly packed.

Now, if you don't mind, stop saying the Q25 should recieve SBS. Not saying anyone is doing it, but...

I wonder,

Not to bring up the previous debate concerning this topic, but do bus drivers seem creeped out when a camera is pointed at them, like they try to hide their face for example, or do some just accept it?

It looks like they ignore it. They have to ignore it. Example: Firefighters have to ignore their fear to run into the fire to save people and put the fire out. Otherwise, they aren't doing their job properly.

Where's the list?

http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ffbus.htm#routes

Based on the 2013 ridership, but I doubt anything changed now.

I wonder,

Not to bring up the previous debate concerning this topic, but do bus drivers seem creeped out when a camera is pointed at them, like they try to hide their face for example, or do some just accept it?

Some will be d!cks and tell you to go away, others just wonder what you are doing and sometimes laugh because it happens too often. I've also seen a few drivers that are like "Send me a picture when you are done."

This is what people should think about first before discussing an SBS route.

Requirements For A Bus To Be A Good Candidate For SBS:

• Isolated.

• Has a Major Street It Stays On.

• Has Artics.

• Has All Day Limited Service.

• Has High Ridership.

• Has Steady Ridership Along the Line.

Bx41 had rush hour only LTD service before being SBS.

M34 NEVER had LTD service, and neither did the original M34A/M16.

S79 uses NGS instead of artics.

Nothing bad, just want to point these things out.

Really? Then how is it SBS? Bus lanes don't make a difference.

Heavy ridership line.

The Q60 is like night and day, one day it'll be running on point and then the next day, it's a complete disaster. Out of the 6/8/9/41, the 9 is the best. If my 41 is missing, I'll take the 9 and get off at Liberty. The 8 gets a close 2nd because they tend to run buses much more closer to schedule, one ending at Spring Creek and the other ending at ENY. I haven't been on the 6 that often to say anything but I see a lot of 6s especially after 8pm.

I agree with the Q24, ever since they made that extension, service has gotten worse. I've seen at most 4 buses running back to back. I've always said that it was fine at Broadway Junction because service was much better than it is now. On Saturdays, they got short turns to Broadway Junction, I'm amazed that they don't have that on the weekdays unless a bus is super late smh.

The Q25/34/65 has its issues but not that big. When Parsons gets slammed with traffic, that's when issues arise, but other than that, they're pretty reliable.

Within that area of Jamaica, I'm not sure what other routes could be just as bad, or worse than the Q24 and Q41.

Well, yesterday I moseyed on over to Bay Plaza to run some errands. Took the Bx28 from Valentine and 192. (Should have took the (D) to 205 for a Co-Op bus but it is what it is)...Coming from there, the Q50 was late. 5 Bx23's came before a 50 showed up...the only sliver lining was my first RTS ride on the 50 in 3 years. 5179 BTW. Didn't really get any good speed on 95, but it hauled ass on the Whitestone despite being SRO.