BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Bus ridership seems so light today, who knew the student population contributed so much to bus crowding... Or maybe I was on the tail end of buses bunching?

The latest rumblings on the ex-Bees was that the last of those buses were supposed to be retired very soon, if not already...

My BxM1 had a decent load, but traffic was better than usual. Got in in 45 minutes and had time for an espresso and pastry before going to the office.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

174 has problems with GPS and the sign but it was still out yest. Got probably my last ride.

I got my last ride on one of those buses a year ago on the Q112. The MTA changed the wAy those buses sounded. When they came they sounded like an slightly off pitch Orion V 1994-1996 buses we had at the MTA. Later on they sounded like both the 1995 and either 1997 or 1999 Orion V the MTA owned.

174 has problems with GPS and the sign but it was still out yest. Got probably my last ride.

Plus what were these buses still doing in service in 2015? Way past retirement age and for an Orion V I'm surprised the frame didn't rot away. The MTA sure got their money's worth out of these buses.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Plus what were these buses still doing in service in 2015? Way past retirement age and for an Orion V I'm surprised the frame didn't rot away. The MTA sure got their money's worth out of these buses.

Does the MTA run on a 12 or 18-year replacement cycle? If it's 18, it's not that overdue for retirement. It may be a lucky unit that didn't corrode as badly as the others.

Does the MTA run on a 12 or 18-year replacement cycle? If it's 18, it's not that overdue for retirement. It may be a lucky unit that didn't corrode as badly as the others.

Many last up to 15 years, but if the model is in REALLY good shape, like the RTS, it would see around 20 years of service.

Actually, these Orions turned out to be one of the best models ever made in the company, which is why many lasted a while in MTA Bus.

I remember when Baisley Bus Depot first got those Bee Line Orion V's, I was on board and when the bus started to move, I heard this very loud sound coming from the rear. I was not sure what to make of it  but it was probably the engine or whatever. The sound I heard felt like it was going to pop. Oh, my last ride on the Orion V was last year before It was gone.

Many last up to 15 years, but if the model is in REALLY good shape, like the RTS, it would see around 20 years of service.

Actually, these Orions turned out to be one of the best models ever made in the company, which is why many lasted a while in MTA Bus.

the Bee-Line V's were the best ones they ever had. best sounding ones as well. Bee-Line knows how to maintain their buses

Let's not say all of that now.....

If this is reference to the 6000s, they were rushed and were pretty horrible from the get-go, especially with the shotty suspensions.

If this is reference to the Bee-Lines, they were only good because they spent most of their life in a company that had top-notch maintenance from the get-go. Once they made it to the shores of MTA Bus, they got beat down very quickly....

The BEST Orion Vs(in my opinion) we've ever had for MTA as a whole were the 1993-1996 Orion Vs(the original 101-184, 185-680)

Edited by Cait Sith

Let's not say all of that now.....

If this is reference to the 6000s, they were rushed and were pretty horrible from the get-go, especially with the shotty suspensions.

If this is reference to the Bee-Lines, they were only good because they spent most of their life in a company that had top-notch maintenance from the get-go. Once they made it to the shores of MTA Bus, they got beat down very quickly....

The BEST Orion Vs(in my opinion) we've ever had for MTA as a whole were the 1993-1996 Orion Vs(the original 101-184, 185-680)

I think the bee-lines and the older 1993-1996 MTA Orion V's were the best sounding ones.

I saw 6124 at the Eltingville Transit Center today!

The bright yellow Gun Hill Road depot sticker caught my attention when it rolled up. Unfortunately, there was no destination on the destination sign, but my suspicions is that it was an s74.

All I have is a very grainy cell phone picture but I definitely saw it!

Edited by 161passenger

I saw 6124 at the Eltingville Transit Center today!

The bright yellow Gun Hill Road depot sticker caught my attention when it rolled up. Unfortunately, there was no destination, but I my suspicions is that it was an s74.

All I have is a very grainy cell phone picture but I definitely saw it!

Yes, that bus is currently out of Charleston.

As of now. How many 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova Bus at East New York Depot are left.? Mostly 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova Bus at East New York Depot supposed to be retire now.. But not jealousy.. Is Jamaica Depot is willing to give up 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova bus send it to Eastchester Depot.. It is easy for Eastchester Depot to retire 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova Bus..  

As of now. How many 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova Bus at East New York Depot are left.? Mostly 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova Bus at East New York Depot supposed to be retire now.. But not jealousy.. Is Jamaica Depot is willing to give up 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova bus send it to Eastchester Depot.. It is easy for Eastchester Depot to retire 1995 - 1996 RTS Nova Bus..

Nope ECH got rid of their 1996's in 2012 because they would break down on the Q50 and then they would have to be towed from Queens to the Bronx. The Orion V's were doing better so they were transferred to ECH. The reason why the 1995-1996 Orion V's were at ECH is because there were only a few in service and they would not have to be brought from Queens. Better to be retired at ECH because they are also the scrap depot.

Also the 1995-1997 Nova Bus RTS's are numbers 8750-9349.

8750 and 8751 are the 1995 units and were retired long ago.

8752-9249 are 1996 units

9250-9349 are 1997 units and they were originally used on express routes and had coach seating.