BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some of CP's older model MCIs are in storage, 2102 is the only one that's seen in service 

That's not true, 2065 and 2118 have been in service, although sporadically. I don't know about 2073 or 2080, I remember them being in service a few weeks ago, and 2096 I haven't seen in a long time.

While we're on the topic of MTA Bus' old MCI's, the SC buses are a bitch to catch. They always start on the BM3/4 downtown loop in the afternoon, or in the evening (8:00 PM and after). They seem to be on the BM2 in the morning though.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

That's not true, 2065 and 2118 have been in service, although sporadically. I don't know about 2073 or 2080, I remember them being in service a few weeks ago, and 2096 I haven't seen in a long time.

While we're on the topic of MTA Bus' old MCI's, the SC buses are a bitch to catch. They always start on the BM3/4 downtown loop in the afternoon, or in the evening (8:00 PM and after). They seem to be on the BM2 in the morning though.

While we're on the topic of old and new buses, if you want to catch newer MCI's or Prevosts out of Charleston, your best bet is to look for X22's.  The X17's (especially on weekends tend to run the 43xx MCI's). That's been the trend of late.  The X22 is basically the pearl of the depot (at least it seems that way).

While we're on the topic of old and new buses, if you want to catch newer MCI's or Prevosts out of Charleston, your best bet is to look for X22's.  The X17's (especially on weekends tend to run the 43xx MCI's). That's been the trend of late.  The X22 is basically the pearl of the depot (at least it seems that way).

That's correct to a certain extent.

X17's on weekends are usually assigned Prevosts and CT's (there was a Yukon Prevost on the 17 yesterday, btw). I just happened to get that unlucky 43XX to Manhattan yesterday. I would've prefered having one of the 28xx buses over the 43xx ones, but you don't always get what you want

The X17/X22 to me seem like a tie, I have seen them on the 22 during the rush, but during the 17A as well, some 17J's, and in general, in 17 during off peak hours. They'll jump out on any line, although some don't see it often (X31) as others.

Majority of the time during the rush, the 6 7400s are out, the 3 Green MCIs are out randomly

That's correct to a certain extent.

X17's on weekends are usually assigned Prevosts and CT's (there was a Yukon Prevost on the 17 yesterday, btw). I just happened to get that unlucky 43XX to Manhattan yesterday. I would've prefered having one of the 28xx buses over the 43xx ones, but you don't always get what you want

The X17/X22 to me seem like a tie, I have seen them on the 22 during the rush, but during the 17A as well, some 17J's, and in general, in 17 during off peak hours. They'll jump out on any line, although some don't see it often (X31) as others.

Yes, they're on the X31 the least, but considering how fewer runs the X22 has in comparison to the X17's branches, the chances are higher that you'll find what you're looking for the X22.

Yes, they're on the X31 the least, but considering how fewer runs the X22 has in comparison to the X17's branches, the chances are higher that you'll find what you're looking for the X22.

That hardly matters. Drivers get to pick/gets assigned what bus they get. One day you'll see a bunch Downtown, the next you'll see a bunch in Midtown, ect ect ect. There's no best bet. Plus, with the amount of trippers Charleston has on the x1-9, it just comes down to luck and positioning, as only a few show up at a time on a route.

LGA should be getting their XD40's within a few weeks because this order is very fast.

When will we start seeing more LFS's arrive?

April, as per the delivery schedule.

Edited by Cait Sith

The x19 would be the best bet for the latest and greatest, almost all buses I have ridden on have been new or newish (just my take)  then I might say the x17A and then x22. In my observations as rider on the x19/x22, I see the x17A's at Broadway/Barclay when I'm there.

I've noticed a healthy mix on the x17's on weekends between new and not so new.

Edited by 161passenger

Majority of the time during the rush, the 6 7400s are out, the 3 Green MCIs are out randomly

The "Green MCI's" are not so random. In the afternoon usually there's two of them, and then they're back in the evening to do another trip. I was gonna go catch some evening action on Friday, but instead they had CT's, but w/e. There will be also the instance where it occasionally pops up on the 1. I've seen it on the 2 in the evenings too, as late as 10:30 PM. 

However, in the morning, they're mostly on the 2, and if you're more comfortable going to midtown (like me), you're SOL, because they're usually a Downtown Loop bus. However, they'll be random too.  The 6 7400's are generally all over the place, usually pop up on the BM3 and BM5 though. 

The x19 would be the best bet for the latest and greatest, almost all buses I have ridden on have been new or newish (just my take)  then I might say the x17A and then x22. In my observations as rider on the x19/x22, I see the x17A's at Broadway/Barclay when I'm there.

For those trips, it's better on weekends, because both sides are served by the same 17 at all times. On weekdays it's basically scattered and depends on what they get assigned (like Cait Sith said). However what's now a tad hard to catch are the Yukon units on the X17. They throw the Prevosts on it, but I would like to catch one of their MCI's on the X17. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

That hardly matters. Drivers get to pick/gets assigned what bus they get. One day you'll see a bunch Downtown, the next you'll see a bunch in Midtown, ect ect ect. There's no best bet. Plus, with the amount of trippers Charleston has on the x1-9, it just comes down to luck and positioning, as only a few show up at a time on a route.

I don't get into all of that.  I'm going off of my own observations and I'm sticking to that. I see the X22 every day when walking to and from my office from the BxM1, BxM2 or BxM18, and for the last while I've seen either new CTs or new Prevosts.  All of what you say is true, but without considering all of that and just going off of what I've seen of late, that's what I would do.  To be honest, his best bet would be to do what Matt does... Go out and get shots during the AM peak, then he's almost certain to get a nice mix of express buses, as they'll be all sorts of things out.  If a B/O can pick a bus or is assigned one, it's quite common to get some of the same buses running on the same lines.  All depends on the depot and the B/O.  I've rode the same express bus for weeks at a time in some cases, which can get quite annoying, esp. if a seat is broken, etc.

Yeah the X19 seems to always get a healthy dose of new stuff, but I thought of the X22 because he's usually in Midtown.

Rarely, there can be a MCI from 20xx-21xx, or 28-29xx series on the X17 on a weekend

The oldest thing I see on the X17 these days are those 43xxs.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I've never noticed how useful it is to know the number of a bus. Not really.  :P

I once rode C40LF 555 on Q25 to school. Made a comment about Q44 SBS on it. On Saturday, saw 555 again! I was like, oh, hey! I rode that bus before! Then 3 hours later sat in Dunkin Donuts for like an hour. Saw 555 again in the opposite direction! :o

Then I saw LFS 8050 and 8068 bunched in a pair on the Q17. I stayed long enough to see it come back in the opposite direction, still bunched.

I've never noticed how useful it is to know the number of a bus. Not really. :P

I once rode C40LF 555 on Q25 to school. Made a comment about Q44 SBS on it. On Saturday, saw 555 again! I was like, oh, hey! I rode that bus before! Then 3 hours later sat in Dunkin Donuts for like an hour. Saw 555 again in the opposite direction! :o

Then I saw LFS 8050 and 8068 bunched in a pair on the Q17. I stayed long enough to see it come back in the opposite direction, still bunched.

Yeah drivers are still allowed to take their usual break after they complete a run. So imagine if a bus is running very late and another one just a few minutes. They arrive at the terminal and leave at the same time and they both hit traffic and have to pick up and drop off people. The third bus might be behind them and that is how these routes are always bunched up throughout the day. This occurs on the Q25 a lot. I just hate those middle school kids from 237 that get on the bus because they are soo loud and annoying. The drivers always talk about how they want to skip that stop. I'm lucky to be going to college next year which hopefully means I can avoid the Q25 or Q17/ Q88 which show up late and always bunch up.

The Q64 is one of the few routes in the city that actually shows up on time. The worst I've been on was the Q56. You can wait an hour for the bus and that is because they want people to use the (J)