What's Your Heritage?

Jashawn R.

Lets see...

Polish

Irish

English (UK)

Italian (Sicily)

Native American

some of my ancestors are Mayflower descendants and I have ancestors on both sides of the Civil war...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, that's a lot of nationalities. I know someone from Trinidad who is mostly of Indian descent, and who has a little Chinese in there.

That's what I said. I've met plenty of mixed Trinidadians but never one with this much mixture.

Its only 6 nationalities :P lol, in my ancestry a lot of people married people of different races. I have a black ancestor that married a white ancestor for example.

Well you know it's summer vaction when the teens on the boards go digging into the time machine for a thread that over a year old :o . Any reason MTAfanboy why made you want to comment on this topic? Just curious no harm and your choice here on this boards.

FYI. In US even though you have those "nationalties" you considered a "Black" man lol. I dont understand why everywhere i go to describe a Black person on job application, medical visits, etc they only list "African-American." Not every Black person was born in the US.

I'M 100% BBC

BROOKLYN-BORN CHINESE

MY PARENTS WILL BE SO MAD IF THEY KNOW I'M NOT DOING SOMETHING RELATED TO MY STUDIES HERE.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

...and my dad named me after his Jewish friend. I guess he was high when he was choosing my name, although it's not necessarily a Jewish name. My middle name is Gaster, which is basically a stomach.

:angry:

I was born around the border of Borough Park, where most of the Chinese people in the neighborhood lived.

Anyway, that's the story of my life. ;)

FYI. In US even though you have those "nationalties" you considered a "Black" man lol. I dont understand why everywhere i go to describe a Black person on job application, medical visits, etc they only list "African-American." Not every Black person was born in the US.

If you think about it, technically, that's correct if the person was born in an African nation (they are African because of their ancestry, and American because, well, they live in America). Of course, it gets a little more complicated if somebody is West Indian because while ultimately their roots are African, their more recent ancestry is in the West Indies.

That whole thing is changing now anyway... I mean there are so many mixed and biracial people that they're going to have to do away with that nonsense sooner rather than later and folks will just have to accept it. Hell, plenty of Latinos have black blood in them and I'm sure they don't consider themselves "black" but rather mixed which is what they are.

That whole thing is changing now anyway... I mean there are so many mixed and biracial people that they're going to have to do away with that nonsense sooner rather than later and folks will just have to accept it. Hell, plenty of Latinos have black blood in them and I'm sure they don't consider themselves "black" but rather mixed which is what they are.

They should list "mixed race" in job applications, college admission medical visits, etc for us mixed mutts VG8 lol. Seriously the recent 2010 census for 1st time ever, actually allowed Blacks of mixed race to be considered "mixed race" and not only "Black/Afro-American."

Born and raised in The Bronx. I am hispanic of dominican descent. Both of my parents are dominican and I speak both english and spanish fluently. I am also part Spanish as well.

Well you know it's summer vaction when the teens on the boards go digging into the time machine for a thread that over a year old :o . Any reason MTAfanboy why made you want to comment on this topic? Just curious no harm and your choice here on this boards.

LOL people get bored sometimes, and I found the thread rather interesting, just wanted to share a bit about myself that is all... And I wasn't born in US but I am a citizen (my mom was born here) so I consider myself African American but I see lol. My African/Caribbean heritage actually make up the largest portion of my heritage.

Same thing with many Asians. There are alot of Asian Americans of bi-racial heritage that prefer to identify themselves just the way they are rather than what society dictates to them how they should identify themselves.

They should list "mixed race" in job applications, college admission medical visits, etc for us mixed mutts VG8 lol. Seriously the recent 2010 census for 1st time ever, actually allowed Blacks of mixed race to be considered "mixed race" and not only "Black/Afro-American."

I agree. I mean my last job actually listed me as "white" probably because my boss was Italian, so he just figured I considered myself white, even though I'm clearly mixed, but I don't even bother answering that section usually and if I do, I just put mixed or other. IMO it is dumb to have to "choose" one thing if you're a mixture of various things. It's like a dog... If the dog is black and white, do you call the dog just "black" or just "white" or do you call the dog as he is? Same thing here. This nonsense about having to "choose" a side is clearly outdated and racist quite frankly and luckily our society is starting to figure out how stupid it is, but it will take time. I think my generation and folks younger than me that didn't go the whole segregation era have a different mindset and we were raised differently from say my mother and father. I mean now and days you see all sorts of folks together, so you're going to have kids of various mixtures and after a while it becomes too difficult to try to put each person in a little box so to speak.

Same thing with many Asians. There are alot of Asian Americans of bi-racial heritage that prefer to identify themselves just the way they are rather than what society dictates to them how they should identify themselves.

Exactly. I saw a white and Asian couple on the M3 on Sunday and the kid looked like a mixture of both. Now and days I think our generation grows up with the idea of folks identifying with all of their mixture(s) as they should. Of course some folks are still stuck on the one drop rule nonsense, but I think more folks are saying screw it. You gotta live life the way you want to live it and not live it according to what some Joe Scmoe says who doesn't know Jack squat about you. My apartment building has quite a few mixed folks. My neighbor for example is Latino, but he's Ecuadorian and Puerto Rican and quite frankly clearly looks biracial (black and white mix) IMO, but he told me he has a great mix of things in between, which makes sense since Latinos are usually pretty mixed anyway. On the floor below me there's another mixed chick (perhaps Latina or biracial) and then there's me who is also mixed. On the floor above me we've got a mixed couple living together as well, but most of the folks are young like myself so it's a reflection of how our society is changing.

Actually no.... I've been mistaken alot for a Caucasian/Italian guy....

Interesting... I've met a few PR and Mexican mixed dudes. A lot of PR folks I meet are trigueños and most Mexicans are mestizos, so I figured that would be the mix, but you do have some PRs that have more white than anything. Green or blue eyes for example, though brown eyes are more common.

Interesting... I've met a few PR and Mexican mixed dudes. A lot of PR folks I meet are trigueños and most Mexicans are mestizos, so I figured that would be the mix, but you do have some PRs that have more white than anything. Green or blue eyes for example, though brown eyes are more common.

I have too... I'm pretty light-skinned for a Latino dude... It's rare but I too have seen PR dudes with blue-green eyes... My eyes are Brown...

I have too... I'm pretty light-skinned for a Latino dude... It's rare but I too have seen PR dudes with blue-green eyes... My eyes are Brown...

Speaking of Italians and Latinos though, when I lived in Italy I saw some Italians that could be considered to be Latinos and the reason being is that in Southern Italy in particular the Spaniards were there for a while so that along with the Moors makes for some interesting features and complexions, plus some Italians are mixed like myself so they looked like Latinos, so you've the light Italians with light eyes and such and more swarthy Italians as well with the brown eyes and black hair and such. There was a guy in my old office whose family was from Calabria that would get tan in summer and he would be darker than me... I mean seriously tan. We would all look at him like damn dude! I mean he looked white otherwise so that's why it was shocking to see him get that dark in the summer time.

In fact when I was traveling in Siena, this Italian guy got me pissed off because he thought I was Dominican so he asked me if I spoke Spanish in Spanish and I replied yes. It became apparent that after a few sentences his Spanish wasn't that good, so I tell the guy in Italian, it's okay you can speak in Italian because I speak Italian, but he continues in this broken friggin' Spanish anyway! Ugh, I got so annoyed that I just walked away from him. He was a religious type (Catholic guy) so I guess he figured I must've just came from DR or something and he would try to practice his Spanish on me. <_<

Now I've had Latinos and Spaniards in Italy talk to me in Spanish or ask if I spoke Spanish to help them with directions or restaurants or whatever and they were respectful, but this guy, practicing on me like that...

Speaking of Italians and Latinos though, when I lived in Italy I saw some Italians that could be considered to be Latinos and the reason being is that in Southern Italy in particular the Spaniards were there for a while so that along with the Moors makes for some interesting features and complexions, plus some Italians are mixed like myself so they looked like Latinos, so you've the light Italians with light eyes and such and more swarthy Italians as well with the brown eyes and black hair and such. There was a guy in my old office whose family was from Calabria that would get tan in summer and he would be darker than me... I mean seriously tan. We would all look at him like damn dude! I mean he looked white otherwise so that's why it was shocking to see him get that dark in the summer time.

In fact when I was traveling in Siena, this Italian guy get me pissed off because he thought I was Dominican so he asked me if I spoke Spanish in Spanish and I replied yes. It became apparent that after a few sentences his Spanish wasn't that good, so I tell the guy in Italian, it's okay you can speak in Italian because I speak Italian, but he continues in this broken friggin' Spanish anyway! Ugh, I got so annoyed that I just walked away from him. He was a religious type (Catholic guy) so I guess he figured I must've just came from DR or something and he would try to practice his Spanish on me. <_<

Now I've had Latinos and Spaniards in Italy talk to me in Spanish or ask if I spoke Spanish to help them with directions or restaurants or whatever and they were respectful, but this guy, practicing on me like that...

Damn.... He must really like tanning then... I've seen alot of Italians who look Latino too...

I've had some Latino folk talk Spanish around me and I give them that " Are you serious' look.... I responded in Spanish and they were like, "You know Spanish? We thought you were white"

One of my good friends is Black but they constantly confuse him with being Honduran or Dominican.... (Which he hates when they confuse him with being another heritage)

I remember in HS, These chicks I knew (They were Black) Since the beginning of HS, They thought I was white.... I told them I was Latino and even proved it with speaking Spanish.... I guess it's because when I talk English, I have no accent. When I talk Spanish, I have a slight accent... English was my first language...

People who knew I knew Spanish would often use me as a translator...

Damn.... He must really like tanning then... I've seen alot of Italians who look Latino too...

I've had some Latino folk talk Spanish around me and I give them that " Are you serious' look.... I responded in Spanish and they were like, "You know Spanish? We thought you were white"

One of my good friends is Black but they constantly confuse him with being Honduran or Dominican.... (Which he hates when they confuse him with being another heritage)

I remember in HS, These chicks I knew (They were Black) Since the beginning of HS, They thought I was white.... I told them I was Latino and even proved it with speaking Spanish.... I guess it's because when I talk English, I have no accent. When I talk Spanish, I have a slight accent... English was my first language...

People who knew I knew Spanish would often use me as a translator...

lol... The thing with that guy is not so much that he likes tanning, is that he gets really dark when he's in the sun. In other words it's not a fake tan and I get the feeling that he doesn't need to be tanning for a while to get dark. He's probably got some mixture down the line. There was a movie in Italy that I watched in fact on this Italian guy that was mistaken as being black or something because he would get so dark. lol

I've been around Latinos so long that I've seen all types of folks so nothing surprises me and I'm usually pretty good at figuring out who is who. Like my neighbor for example is pretty light, but something about his features made me think he wasn't white. When I finally got a good look at him my immediate thought that was he was mixed (as in white and black) but Latino and of course I wasn't shocked when he said he was Latino. Probably because the majority of my friends are Latino and like I said I've been around so many folks and have traveled a lot so I've seen a little bit of everything. Saw a Greek dude with kinky hair for example. lol

lol... The thing with that guy is not so much that he likes tanning, is that he gets really dark when he's in the sun. In other words it's not a fake tan and I get the feeling that he doesn't need to be tanning for a while to get dark. He's probably got some mixture down the line. There was a movie in Italy that I watched in fact on this Italian guy that was mistaken as being black or something because he would get so dark. lol

I've been around Latinos so long that I've seen all types of folks so nothing surprises me and I'm usually pretty good at figuring out who is who. Like my neighbor for example is pretty light, but something about his features made me think he wasn't white. When I finally got a good look at him my immediate thought that was he was mixed (as in white and black) but Latino and of course I wasn't shocked when he said he was Latino. Probably because the majority of my friends are Latino and like I said I've been around so many folks and have traveled a lot so I've seen a little bit of everything. Saw a Greek dude with kinky hair for example. lol

LOL.... Yeah, He most likely does have some mixture... I'm pretty good at recognizing Latino people too.... Thing is with Latino folks is that alot of them are different when it comes to looks... That's a good variety in my opinion. B)

Yep... I owe you a like because apparently:

lol... Funny story... There was this Peruvian guy in my old office. He hated anyone knowing that he was Latino, so I saw him in the bathroom one day and we're at the sink washing our hands and I'm thinking to myself "What is this guy"? Being mixed myself and a linguist I'm always intrigued by people's backgrounds, so I asked him and he gave me some answer but didn't quite answer my question. Something like a mixture of things or something... If you saw his features he had reddish cheeks and he didn't look quite white IMO. Anywho in talking to a Project Manager that works with him, I found out that he was Peruvian and then when I thought about it and thought about his last name "Ferrer" and how he looked I said to myself. You idiot, with a name like Ferrer of course he is Latino! lol His first name was Harold (Gringo name), so maybe that's why it didn't jump out to me at first.

Archived