Queens comedian races bus across midtown on kids' toy trike, and wins by a country mile

Shortline Bus

The M42 bus is so slow, a grown man on a child's Big Wheel-like trike can beat it across midtown.

Mark Malkoff, 35, challenged one of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's notoriously sluggish buses in a mile race on 42nd St. from 10th Ave. to Madison Ave. and won by two minutes and 38 seconds.

"The race made me feel like I was part Evil Knievel, part Lance Armstrong and part Steve-O from the 'Jackass' movies," Malkoff told the Daily News yesterday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/06/2011-04-06_big_wheel_leaves_midtown_bus_in_dust.html#ixzz1IlBVQgt2

post-3473-133288582592_thumb.jpg

post-3473-133288582592_thumb.jpg

some people just have way too much time on their hands

could not have said it better myself.:)

Seriously someone or some group i.e a local morning show like Z-100's Elvis Duran show will use a turtle(in 'turtle vs hair' race)to see if that 'faster' than the (M42) route.

Seriously someone or some group i.e a local morning show like Z-100's Elvis Duran show will use a turtle(in 'turtle vs hair' race)to see if that 'faster' than the (M42) route.

He looks like a goof riding that bike

The M42 bus is so slow, a grown man on a child's Big Wheel-like trike can beat it across midtown.

Mark Malkoff, 35, challenged one of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's notoriously sluggish buses in a mile race on 42nd St. from 10th Ave. to Madison Ave. and won by two minutes and 38 seconds.

"The race made me feel like I was part Evil Knievel, part Lance Armstrong and part Steve-O from the 'Jackass' movies," Malkoff told the Daily News yesterday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/06/2011-04-06_big_wheel_leaves_midtown_bus_in_dust.html#ixzz1IlBVQgt2

Wow that is Dumb! That Bus has about 200 Horsepower how could it lose to a trike

:cry: Laughing

Also, what exactly was he trying to prove that we didn't already know? Unless I'm too lazy to walk, odds are I'd be better off walking from the Port Authority to 5th & 42nd because between waiting and boarding the bus, walking is the obvious faster choice.

My question is why is the (MTA) addressing 34th st but not any of the other crosstown buses? When compared to 34th st., 23rd & 42nd are just as bad if not worse.

34th Street has more buses traversing it (it has express buses coming from Staten Island and Queens, not to mention those shuttle buses that connect with the ferries to NJ)

In addition, the other corridors have alternatives for a greater portion of the route (except for the M23). The M42 has the (7) and (S) for a sizable number of the customers.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that they're desirable alternatives for most people, since they only stop at a limited number of points along the crosstown streets, but they are enough of an alternative to suck some ridership from the crosstown buses.

When you consider local buses only, the M16/M34 have roughly the same number of riders (roughly 17,000 per weekday) as the M23. When you add the express bus riders, it makes 34th Street the better candidate for improvements.

On a side note, I think the buses further uptown, where there is no crosstown subway whatsoever should also be getting improvements. The M79, M86 and the 125th Street buses get more ridership than the Midtown buses.

34th Street has more buses traversing it (it has express buses coming from Staten Island and Queens, not to mention those shuttle buses that connect with the ferries to NJ)

In addition, the other corridors have alternatives for a greater portion of the route (except for the M23). The M42 has the (7) and (S) for a sizable number of the customers.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that they're desirable alternatives for most people, since they only stop at a limited number of points along the crosstown streets, but they are enough of an alternative to suck some ridership from the crosstown buses.

When you consider local buses only, the M16/M34 have roughly the same number of riders (roughly 17,000 per weekday) as the M23. When you add the express bus riders, it makes 34th Street the better candidate for improvements.

On a side note, I think the buses further uptown, where there is no crosstown subway whatsoever should also be getting improvements. The M79, M86 and the 125th Street buses get more ridership than the Midtown buses.

42nd street has also has a ferry bus as well several express buses that travel along it (X17J, X22, X30, X31) and other express buses as well.

23rd street also has several express buses (X2, X14, X27, X28, X10 and X12 to name a few)...

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I can walk across 34 St from 2 Av all the way to Herrald Sq and beat the buses (both M34 & M16). Traffic is that slow

A bus can go much faster than one person on a tricycle, unless you have the actual leg power to propel yourself that fast B)

Plus, don't all cyclists have to obey the traffic signals since they're not allowed on sidewalks?

A good biker can move at about 45mph, though I don't know how that translates with big wheels.

And in theory, all cyclists have to obey traffic laws. In practice however.......Lets just say I saw a guy biking downtown on 1st Avenue in the bus lane, which isn't too rare of an occurrence.

wow the M42 IS NOW N42 FAIL bus at least it isnt empty like M22 and the M5 after 10 pm M5 south of 14th however.

Because those areas are dead after 10PM....duh....but I have seen M5s and M22s with a decent load after 10PM since I live nearby those two lines, so your theory is not 100% accurate....

And also, this lil stunt with that comedian is pure BS, buses have to pick up people, he doesnt, so HE fails....

Because those areas are dead after 10PM....duh....but I have seen M5s and M22s with a decent load after 10PM since I live nearby those two lines, so your theory is not 100% accurate....

And also, this lil stunt with that comedian is pure BS, buses have to pick up people, he doesnt, so HE fails....

interesting well yeah you have a point but 42nd and 23rd need massive speed improvement similar to 34th street 23 has express buses!!! and 42nd has a few and NJ buses some of em and northern crosstowns need speed improvements ESPECIALLY 125TH STREET

42nd street has also has a ferry bus as well several express buses that travel along it (X17J, X22, X30, X31) and other express buses as well.

23rd street also has several express buses (X2, X14, X27, X28, X10 and X12 to name a few)...

All I'm saying is that 34th Street has more express routes traveling along the street, and at more times. The majority of the 23rd Street and 42nd Street express routes are rush hours only, whereas 34th Street has all of the Queens express routes, which have longer hours and, therefore, more buses.

And, like I said, ridership on the local buses is higher on 34th Street than 42nd Street (and only marginally lower than on 23rd Street)

All I'm saying is that 34th Street has more express routes traveling along the street, and at more times. The majority of the 23rd Street and 42nd Street express routes are rush hours only, whereas 34th Street has all of the Queens express routes, which have longer hours and, therefore, more buses.

And, like I said, ridership on the local buses is higher on 34th Street than 42nd Street (and only marginally lower than on 23rd Street)

You're forgetting about all of the BXM buses that terminate/begin on 23rd st., as well as the X63, X64, X68, QM21 and the BM1, BM2, BM3 and BM4 buses. All of the MTA Bus express buses run all day basically and into the night and the (M23) was considered the slowest bus for a number of years. I doubt that has changed. Anytime I'm on 23rd st, I just walk. Not even worth taking the bus unless it is coming and it is during the weekends, but that's a rarity for me. If anything I'll get off of the BM3 there and walk down to Union Square. B)

Since I was early for work today, I decided to try it on 34 St. I started on 1 Av (right after I got off the M15) and I walked all the way to 5 Av. There was already a M34 at the bus stop on 1 Av.

Long story short I won by 2 blocks. By the time the M34 caught up, there was 2 M16s and another M34 behind it

A good biker can move at about 45mph, though I don't know how that translates with big wheels.

And in theory, all cyclists have to obey traffic laws. In practice however.......Lets just say I saw a guy biking downtown on 1st Avenue in the bus lane, which isn't too rare of an occurrence.

Bikes cannot go 45mph. A good biker can maybe maintain a constant speed of 20-25mph.

And cyclists do not have to obey the laws of traffic, they are not motor vehicles. The bike lane on 1st avenue is a joke. When you're on a bike, it's just natural for you to keep right and look over your left shoulder for cars, which is why all the delivery men, which are the only people I ever see riding bikes on 1st avenue, ride in the bus lane instead of the bike lane.

Maybe it's time to have everyone that owns a bike register with the DMV. God knows how many damn car lanes have been taken over by bike lanes. And some bikers still use the sidewalks or ride in the wrong direction making them a hazzard to themselves and others at intersections.

So if there's going to be more bike lanes, then bikes should be registered at the DMV. Enough of the bs of how they should have things their way.

Archived