8004 in minor fender bender today

cartmn1210

8004 Was involved in a minor fender bender this afternoon on New Dorp Lane and Clawson St. The bus was standing in traffic and a silver VW passat tried to pass the bus on the left side. What the auto didnt expect was the oncoming traffic which caused her to swerve to the right hitting the bus in the left rear corner. I witnessed the entire accident because I HAD THE BUS:(:P:( The bus suffered minor injuries and was able to be taken into the depot where it was taken in for treatment! lol.:mad: Damn I'm STILL PISSED OFF AT HER!!!!!! :mad: Luckily for the young lady in the VW the NYPD felt that she needed to be rewarded for her involvement by giving her a few summonses!!!!!;) Im on my way home to relax for the weekend!! :P

Damn, sorry that had to happen! Hope everything's ok though...but wow! These buses are barely a week old and are already getting into accidents!

It was my LAST TRIP!!! 10 more minutes and I wouldve been deadheading back in!!! BUt its gonna happen.

It was my LAST TRIP!!! 10 more minutes and I wouldve been deadheading back in!!! BUt its gonna happen.

Man I would've been livid too! Last thing I wanna worry about is writing reports, you just wanna take your bus back to the depot and go home!

No piss test. I did the report. T hey pretty cool about the whole thing. Just pissed off. The gs in maintenance printed me a picture of the scratches and will frame it for me.lol

Good to know everything's alright. Sucks for the new bus, but is this sort of damage covered by Nova or insurance?

Man I would've been livid too! Last thing I wanna worry about is writing reports, you just wanna take your bus back to the depot and go home!

You get paid to write the report i think it 2 hours pay. MTA is self insured, we have our own body shows to fix damage or duct tape works too.

You get paid to write the report i think it 2 hours pay. MTA is self insured, we have our own body shows to fix damage or duct tape works too.

Yeah and what's up w/the duct tape??? :confused: They did that previously @ CAS. I hope I don't see new buses going down Forest Ave w/duct tape on them...

Yeah and what's up w/the duct tape??? :confused: They did that previously @ CAS. I hope I don't see new buses going down Forest Ave w/duct tape on them...

We all want pretty buses but the fact is that it a bus. The main purpose is to move people as safely and as fast as it can. I rather a Bus with duct tape and body damage show up at my bus stop then no bus at all.

Damn buses havent even made it to 2 weeks and already in shit ! . I think the kids broke the window on 8023 because they didnt like the new bus . Or they were just being brats .

Would be so nice if the NYPD set up cameras there the way they have in Manhattan...

Also as a punishment, the kids that threw the stones should have their hands broken. That's a better incentive than having mommy/daddy just pay for their mistakes.

Yikes! But there are pull-ins from the South Shore to Castleton?

Before Charleston opened, the X22 ran out of Castleton and would deadhead from Tottenville back to the depot. I'd see X22s over by Forest coming up from the Expressway heading to Port Richmond Ave to get back to the depot.

Good to know everything's alright. Sucks for the new bus, but is this sort of damage covered by Nova or insurance?

body damage definitely not covered by the warranty agreement with Nova. A BMA is gonna have to replace the panel...and they are gonna bang the lady's insurance really hard for the cost of that panel..lol

Yikes! But there are pull-ins from the South Shore to Castleton?

The only south shore pull ins are the few trips cast had on the 78,n the 54's that finish at hylan n Richmond. Unless u consider the 76 a south shore route. I don't.

We all want pretty buses but the fact is that it a bus. The main purpose is to move people as safely and as fast as it can. I rather a Bus with duct tape and body damage show up at my bus stop then no bus at all.

I could care less about "pretty buses". I care about whether they are safe with duct tape on them. I've seen hand rails being held together w/duct tape too. These are accidents waiting to happen, which someone will be stupid enough to test or will try to use when not paying attention. I'm not sure if they still have local buses out there like this, but this is something I saw quite a bit on the Orions.

I've also seen this on some express buses out of CAS. The overhead lighting is hanging down or partially held up by duct tape and with the potholes on the Gowanus, it doesn't take much for one to bang their head or something. It looks like they got rid of those luckily because I could see someone getting injured for sure.

I still remember this old lady that refused to leave the X10. The B/O stopped short as she was preparing to get off and she went to grab the hand grab on one of the seats and I think the seat moved a bit as the bus jerked and she fell down in the aisle. She had him put the bus out service and requested to file a complaint and would not leave. It was an accident, but the (MTA) leaves itself exposed with these sorts of things. So in sum, I understand your point about having a bus and all, but these are the sorts of risks that are taken when things are fixed properly, especially with duct tape.

If I might, another bit of minutia here. Supervisors responding to accidents are trained to assess all accidents from the standpoint of preventability, not fault.

Succinctly said, preventability means what could the Bus Operator have done additionally, differently of not at all to prevent the accident. When a bus is hit while at a dead stop, the first thing the responding supervisor looks at is the angle of the bus. If in a bus stop, was it parallel to the curb? If outside a bus stop, was it straddling two lanes. And more.

Thus, if the bus is stopped and hit head-on by a vehicle coming from the other direction it will charged as preventable against the Operator if any part of the bus (so much as one inch) is over the yellow dividing line or other pavement delineation.

In "my day" (old fart talk), we, as supervisors/dispatchers, had a mindset to help the Operator "beat the rap." Oftentimes, we engaged in "creative writing" that stated (for example): "bus standing, properly curbed in bus stop" when it was at an angle that left the rear jutting out making it an easy hit for a vehicle moving towards it.

Before you vilify those of us who did such things, please remember that NYCT always has been self-insured. We do our own body work, etc. Besides, NY is a no-fault insurance state. The only time this would be an issue is when there are multiple, severe injuries. And in such cases, the true circumstances always adorned the report.

Nowadays, all reports must include photographs taken by the supervisor. Given the fact that just about everyone carries a cellular phone replete with still and video cameras it is much more risky to "take care of business." I have heard of several cases wherein the Authority already received photographic evidence from well-intentioned passersby even before the bus was moved from the accident location.

Just another example of the incredible responsibilities today's Bus Operators carry on their backs.

The only south shore pull ins are the few trips cast had on the 78,n the 54's that finish at hylan n Richmond. Unless u consider the 76 a south shore route. I don't.

Well to the MTA the S76 is a South Shore route since it's numbered in the S70s-series compared to the S54 which is mainly a cross-island North-South oriented route.

Archived