M Myrtle Avenue Local

Sam

I don't know if this has been covered, but I'm seeing (M) trains with "Myrtle Avenue Local" rather than "Jamaica Local." When did this happen? It's certainly more accurate since the(M) does not go to Jamaica on either end. Are there other changes being made on other lines in this regard for clarity?

I don't know if this has been covered, but I'm seeing (M) trains with "Myrtle Avenue Local" rather than "Jamaica Local." When did this happen? It's certainly more accurate since the(M) does not go to Jamaica on either end. Are there other changes being made on other lines in this regard for clarity?

Since I live in upstate NY in the Hudson Valley, I am hardly in the 'city' during the week so I hardly catch the (M). Matter of fact I only been on the new orange (M) once since it started last June.

If this change is true to state it's a 'Myrtle Ave' Local then great good job by the (MTA).:tup:

Since I live in upstate NY in the Hudson Valley, I am hardly in the 'city' during the week so I hardly catch the (M). Matter of fact I only been on the new orange (M) once since it started last June.

If this change is true to state it's a 'Myrtle Ave' Local then great good job by the (MTA).:tup:

I live in Manhattan and until a few months ago I've depended on the 6th Avenue line, but I've only been on it twice since it changed over.

The (F) was also changed from "6 AV LCL" to "6 AV LCL/63 ST".

Now if only the (N)'s Sea Beach Exp would change to 4 Av Exp.

Then might as well change over the Culver Local and the West End Local.

The (F) was also changed from "6 AV LCL" to "6 AV LCL/63 ST".

Now if only the (N)'s Sea Beach Exp would change to 4 Av Exp.

I live in Manhattan and until a few months ago I've depended on the 6th Avenue line, but I've only been on it twice since it changed over.

or (N) 4 Av Exp/Sea Beach

(D) 4 Av Exp/West End (when eventually we will get there)

Culver Lcl should be changed to MCDONALD AV LCL

Culver Lcl should be changed to MCDONALD AV LCL

Why ? It runs on the Culver Line, right?. The West End line runs on the West End Line, and the Brighton Line runs on it's line. Same for the Sea Beach or New Lots line. They're not named for the street they traverse.

Why ? It runs on the Culver Line, right?. The West End line runs on the West End Line, and the Brighton Line runs on it's line. Same for the Sea Beach or New Lots line. They're not named for the street they traverse.

Mainly because I don't think the average tourist (or New Yorker for that matter) what Sea Beach or West End is. It'd be more accurate to show what street is being ran as local or express to prevent confusion.

Mainly because I don't think the average tourist (or New Yorker for that matter) what Sea Beach or West End is. It'd be more accurate to show what street is being ran as local or express to prevent confusion.

True. I think the only people who knows what the Culver Line is are railfans and old-timers. Same goes for the rest of the named lines. Thou it wouldn't work for the open-cut lines.

I have to agree on this point. McDonald Av is where the (F) runs down the longest and would make more sense.

Lol, I wonder if the MTA could get McDonalds [fast food chain] to 'adopt'/'corpratize' the stations?

Hem, the Brighton line [though that's the express' terminal] runs mostly b/w 15-16th Sts. Should it be called the 16th St line?

I have to agree on this point. McDonald Av is where the (F) runs down the longest and would make more sense. Lol, I wonder if the MTA could get McDonalds [fast food chain] to 'adopt'/'corpratize' the stations?

Good points on McDonalds. I'm surprised no one at McDonalds has approached the MTA with this!

I have to agree on this point. McDonald Av is where the (F) runs down the longest and would make more sense.

Lol, I wonder if the MTA could get McDonalds [fast food chain] to 'adopt'/'corpratize' the stations?

Hem, the Brighton line [though that's the express' terminal] runs mostly b/w 15-16th Sts. Should it be called the 16th St line?

On the map, it technically runs E 15 St.

That's exactly why I put up those examples. What would you call those lines? What would you call the (J)? I'd love to see what the Dyre line would be called in your scheme. See, it's not so easy.

Guest lance25

You could call it the McDonald Avenue line or the Culver line; most people will still just know it as the long stretch of elevated tracks the (F) uses to get from Church Av to Stillwell Av. Same thing applies for most of the line names outside of the Manhattan trunk lines. It's probably why when an (N) train is rerouted via the West End, it's announced as a Manhattan-bound (N) via the (D), rather than via the West End line.

Strange, I've been seeing some <5>'s (Bronx Expresses) that say "BRONX/LEX AV EXP" instead of "BRONX EXPRESS" on one frame. There was something else I noticed, but I don't recall.

Because the R142 only displays three route trunks in programming. For example:

Manhattan bound <5>

EASTCHESTR-DYRE AV

LEXINGTON AV EXP

BRONX EXP

Flatbush Av bound <5>

FLATBUSH AV

BRONX/LEX AV EXP

EASTERN PKWY EXP

What really is the name of the line where the express is? It runs on Westchester Ave. and then Southern Blvd, but then so do the (6) in different places (they basically switch as you go uptown).

The section on White Plains Rd is the WPR line, but you can't use that since most (5)'s branch off to Dyre. I believe it used to be the West Farms line, before the Dual Contracts extension past 180th. Maybe "West Farms Exp" would still be better anyway. And if the <4> comes back, obviously, the Jerome Exp.

The only thing about "Bronx Express" that has any kind of value, is that it appears here (4:08) when the gorilla falls into the subway, and then comes out with an entire window frame (with sign) around him (plus a hand strap): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvJcjDDy_4U

I always thought you could update that today, with the digital NTT window, and you could even have the sign shorting out!

Is that what all the IRT expresses were called back then? I figured perhaps that's why they used that. Like a traditional thing, almost.

What really is the name of the line where the express is? It runs on Westchester Ave. and then Southern Blvd, but then so do the (6) in different places (they basically switch as you go uptown).

The section on White Plains Rd is the WPR line, but you can't use that since most (5)'s branch off to Dyre. I believe it used to be the West Farms line, before the Dual Contracts extension past 180th. Maybe "West Farms Exp" would still be better anyway. And if the <4> comes back, obviously, the Jerome Exp.

I believe it's called the WPR line from Wakefield all the way to Grand Concourse-149 St. But yes, calling it the WPR Express would cause confusion.

The reason they changed it to "MYRTLE AV LCL" was for the renaming of "Court Square-23 Street". Also the (M) doesn't go through Jamaica at all. It would actually be best if they changed it to "QUEENS BLVD LCL, since Myrtle Avenue is already a local line.

I didnt think Jamaica Local was confusing, it was the local on the part of the BMT Jamaica line that has a local and express segment, from Marcy Ave to Myrtle Ave

Historically speaking, the Jamaica line was always east of the Eastern Pkwy station. The segment that the (M) runs was always known as Broadway Brooklyn before veering off to Myrtle and this train was never associated with Jamaica as nomenclature.

Compare this with the QB line; the Jamaica portion is associated with the line east of Forest Hills.

While we may not be confused because we're transit fans, most novice riders could easily be misled by a train whose lines extends to Jamaica proper on both ends.

Archived