Which do you favor? IND, BMT, or the IRT?

TrainFanatic

(EDUCATED RESPONSE)

At the moment there's only three 100% IND lines (A)(C)(E) and four 100% BMT lines (Q)(N)(J)(L). The rest are hybrids, spending time in both tunnel systems. As far as this question goes, pends what you talking about...

When it comes to speed not going to mention what used to be, some of us were around (when trains in both divisions hit 50 without too much of a problem) and some of us were not, I go by what is there now. For all the "IND is built for speed people", the fastest tube is in BMT territory (I hit 58 in a R46). But the fastest local station stop is in the IND (Fastest I entered there was 46 in a R46, I can get higher in a R160 but I have to stop at the 8-car so I don't keep power on all the way down).

Current 45+ speed recs (all within the previous 6 weeks):

58 - 60th st tube, R46 (BMT)

51 - Between 34 and W4, R68 (IND)

50 - Northern Blvd cut, R160 (IND)

49 - Entering W4, R68A (IND)

49 - Entering Newkirk, R68A (BMT) *yesterday*

47 - Entering 42nd n 8th, R32 (IND)

46 - Entering 42nd n 8th, R46 (IND)

46 - Entering 63rd Drive, R46 (IND)

In the IRT there aren't as many spots, mostly because the stations are so close together, and even the express runs are generally shorter and timed. The best I've seen in my few years as a C/R:

52 - Joralemon tube, R142

49 - Between Hunts Point and Parkchester, R142A

48 - Between GC and 59, R142

46 - Between Allerton Av and Pelham Pkwy, R142

Of course higher numbers were achieved years ago when things were faster :P I kinda get tired of hearing stores of slant 40s entering Newkirk at 55 and making a station stop lol.

As far as women go...

Latinas - Between 149th-GC and Mosholu Pkwy (4), Bedford Park and 145th (D), 231st - 137th (1), 207th - 168th (A), Junction Blvd - Queensboro Plaza (7), Woodhaven Blvd - 65th (R)(M).

Blacks - Canarsie (L), Bway Jnct (A)(J), Church Av - Flatbush Av (2), Parsons/Archer (E)(J), Allerton Av - 241st (2), Gun Hill Rd - Dyre Av (5), Utica Av (4).

Eastern Europeans - Ave J - Ocean Pkwy (Q), Bay Ridge Av - 95th, Neptune Av - Ditmas Av (F), Graham Av - Bedford Av (L).

Asians - Main St (7), 9Av - Bay Pkwy (D), 8Av - Ave U (N).

Take you pick, the rest of the areas have a little of everything.

Equipment...

The only IND specific train right now is the R32, the only BMT specific train at the moment is the R143, everything else (that's not IRT) is shared by both divisions. I heard a comment about IRT "boxlike" trains, and if anything the R32 is the most boxlike train in the system as it's almost as wide as it is tall.

IRT.....grew up with them when I lived in Harlem and The Bronx......Southern BMT is cool....great photo ops especially (L) and IND is ok!

So did I, and that's why I'm not so fond of the IRT, with the exception of the (5) line between Dyre Avenue and East 180th Street. But when I first read about the MTA's plan to convert the Dyre Avenue Line to B-Division clearances and connect it to the SAS, I was in favor of that plan. I'm still in favor of it. That's why my handle is "(T) to Dyre Avenue".

Lol. Don't leave out Cypress Hills. More than half of the neighborhood is full of Spanish people. I've seen my share of very good-looking Latinas at Crescent St, Clevelend St, and of course Cypress Hills. :cool: 75th St afterschool hours - it's heaven.

Edited by TrainFanatic

(EDUCATED RESPONSE)

In the IRT there aren't as many spots, mostly because the stations are so close together, and even the express runs are generally shorter and timed. The best I've seen in my few years as a C/R:

52 - Joralemon tube, R142

49 - Between Hunts Point and Parkchester, R142A

48 - Between GC and 59, R142

46 - Between Allerton Av and Pelham Pkwy, R142

Of course higher numbers were achieved years ago when things were faster :P I kinda get tired of hearing stores of slant 40s entering Newkirk at 55 and making a station stop lol.

Cool! I always knew the 42nd to 59th [nb] was fast, but always wondered how fast.

As far as women go...

Latinas - Between 149th-GC and Mosholu Pkwy (4), Bedford Park and 145th (D), 231st - 137th (1), 207th - 168th (A), Junction Blvd - Queensboro Plaza (7), Woodhaven Blvd - 65th (R)(M).

Blacks - Canarsie (L), Bway Jnct (A)(J), Church Av - Flatbush Av (2), Parsons/Archer (E)(J), Allerton Av - 241st (2), Gun Hill Rd - Dyre Av (5), Utica Av (4).

Eastern Europeans - Ave J - Ocean Pkwy (Q), Bay Ridge Av - 95th, Neptune Av - Ditmas Av (F), Graham Av - Bedford Av (L).

Asians - Main St (7), 9Av - Bay Pkwy (D), 8Av - Ave U (N).

Take you pick, the rest of the areas have a little of everythingl.

Nice! ;)

The IRT lines have the best routes (mainly because they were the original subway), and it shows in their crowdedness and headways. Unfortunate the cars aren't so big, and Rogers Junction is atrocious.

The BMT is pretty nice, but its effectiveness is limited to Brooklyn (hence its name). Poor BMT only gets one Midtown line.

The IND built a couple of redundant lines (Grand Concourse line has to be the biggest offender), but you gotta admire the ambition of the Second System and its plans to integrate with the BMT. And to be fair, the Grand Concourse line is necessary due to overcrowding on the IRT.

Lol. Don't leave out Cypress Hills. More than half of the neighborhood is full of Spanish people. I've seen my share of very good-looking Latinas at Crescent St, Clevelend St, and of course Cypress Hills. :cool: 75th St afterschool hours - it's heaven.

Oh yeah forgot bout Cypress Hills/Ridgewood. Most T/O don't challenge 59th and only get it up to bout 45 before coasting/braking.

Wait sorry I'm lost, 59th?

59th Street (Lex Express, both directions). In this case we're talking northbound, as there are no timers to slow you up (yet). It's the IRT equivalent of that nice quick run from 59-42 on the (A).

Edited by TwoTimer

59th Street (Lex Express, both directions). In this case we're talking northbound, as there are no timers to slow you up (yet). It's the IRT equivalent of that nice quick run from 59-42 on the (A).

You know everything. :cool: Were you the one that said you've operated every line in the system some time back?

You know everything. :cool: Were you the one that said you've operated every line in the system some time back?

Nope. Just finished t/o training some time ago, where u do have to operate on every line in the system so i get to fill in the gaps for what i dont know already. I was a c/r in the irt for years so thats how i know bout that div

Cool. Since you had a spot for the BMT did you ever think about making the switch?

No, I didn't. As many RTO employees will tell you, convenience, work assignments, coupled with seniority, usually win out. Many of us admire the system as railfans but have no desire to operate every piece of rolling stock in every division. As a former work train M/M and transfer M/M I have traveled on just about every part of the system, except the 63rd St corridor, so I had no burning desire to operate passenger service everywhere. I've operated equipment to all the yards of the BMT-IND and that satisfied me.

• 10 years later...

It’s hard to choose, I Grew up with both IND and BMT respectively, the (J) / (Z) with its elevated track along Queens and Brooklyn, And The (A) Speeding Along Fulton and 8th ave, the (C) was Meh, but it was useful just in case, (L) always came in handy so did the 6th ave (M) and Queens blvd lines (E)(F) and (R)

For IRT? I always used the (7)  And Once and while the (4) or (6), i And only remember one (ironically) experience with the (1)  it was slow but the stations were beautiful, and there isn’t much to Say about the (S) I used it, but, yeah, it’s just there. 

since I’ve been watching a lot of videos, I must say, You can see the Age of basically all of the lines, Especially the Lexington ave line, which still has its winding curves and tight tunnels, the Nassue St line, It was basically an ambiguous project as you can see by chambers st, But it’s now the runt end of the line for the (J) / (Z) 

22 hours ago, Rogue6 said:

It’s hard to choose, I Grew up with both IND and BMT respectively, the (J) / (Z) with its elevated track along Queens and Brooklyn, And The (A) Speeding Along Fulton and 8th ave, the (C) was Meh, but it was useful just in case, (L) always came in handy so did the 6th ave (M) and Queens blvd lines (E)(F) and (R)

For IRT? I always used the (7)  And Once and while the (4) or (6), i And only remember one (ironically) experience with the (1)  it was slow but the stations were beautiful, and there isn’t much to Say about the (S) I used it, but, yeah, it’s just there. 

since I’ve been watching a lot of videos, I must say, You can see the Age of basically all of the lines, Especially the Lexington ave line, which still has its winding curves and tight tunnels, the Nassue St line, It was basically an ambiguous project as you can see by chambers st, But it’s now the runt end of the line for the (J) / (Z) 

One hell of a way to revive a 10 year old thread.