Transit Officials Want Pedestrian Plazas Throughout All Five Boroughs

"Pedestrian plazas are popping up across the city and transportation officials what the plazas in every community board district. NY1's Grace Rauh filed the following report.

On a sunny day, there may be nothing better than to rest in one of the city's many pedestrian plazas, but not everyone is thrilled by the addition of these new open spaces.

At a City Council hearing in Downtown Manhattan Wednesday, members grilled officials from the city's Transportation Department about traffic, safety statistics and exactly who decides when and where one of these plazas goes.

"Why can't we just get back to basics, and worry more about paving the streets than we are about installing bike lanes and putting in pedestrian plazas where communities don't want them," said Queens Councilman Eric Ulrich."

Read more: http://www.ny1.com/text/?ArID=138537&SecID=1000

The pedestrians have been nice. I have certainly used some of them myself, having had lunch there by 23rd and Bway on a few occasions in the shade. :cool: However, what troubles me is why the city is so concerned about adding more plazas, while our city streets are falling apart???

As Councilman Ulrich said, "Why can't we just get back to basics, and worry more about paving the streets than we are about installing bike lanes and putting in pedestrian plazas where communities don't want them[?]" We need to focus on getting the streets paved and using better materials so that they don't fall apart merely a few years after being paved and focus more on decreasing congestion. Also, where is the money coming from to pay for these plazas?? Don't get me wrong, I think they're good for the city overall, but we have more important priorities at the moment.

This is NY the politicians could care less about the roads if anything if MTA had it's way the only paved roads in NYC would be roads with bus routes on them. and the parkways would fall apart and give them an excuse to add another rail line!!! seriously the MTA could give a rats ass about the needs of a motorist if anything in their world driving in NYC will be so unbearable that no one would do so. And all their trains and buses and expresses be full at all times. In any other city the roads will get paved and repaired not here!!!!! They don't want cars here cause if they did they would have better infrastructure.

...and I better see those same transit officials SITTING in those pedestrian plazas.

I remember when some guy had his laptop out, while reading his newspaper, over there on 23rd/24th st.... I was crossing 5th when a projectile (and I saw it fly off too) knocked his laptop on the ground.... It was the gas cap cover off a yellow cab.

I stood there & laughed.

Good. That's what you get for sittin at those f***** things.

I'm still waitin for the day some automobile (or even a bike) veers off & knocks over those tables & chairs placed in those ped. plaza's.... I don't see how people can sit in those goddamned things... last thing I want in my food, drink, lap, clothing, is tire wear & tear, and the smell of exhaust.....

...and I better see those same transit officials SITTING in those pedestrian plazas.

I remember when some guy had his laptop out, while reading his newspaper, over there on 23rd/24th st.... I was crossing 5th when a projectile (and I saw it fly off too) knocked his laptop on the ground.... It was the gas cap cover off a yellow cab.

I stood there & laughed.

I'm still waitin for the day some automobile (or even a bike) veers off & knocks over those tables & chairs placed in those ped. plaza's.... I don't see how people can sit in those goddamned things... last thing I want in my food, drink, lap, clothing, is tire wear & tear, and the smell of exhaust.....

You know I've sat there a few times myself eating lunch, but away from the traffic by the sidewalk, but I've thought to myself, "What if a car looses control??" :eek:

Why are they grouping bike lanes in with pedestrian plaza's in their comments?

Do these people seriously think that everyone needs to drive within the city & bike lanes all removed?

Plazas are nice, i enjoy them, however they have nothing to do with bike lanes AT ALL.

- A

I stood there & laughed.

The only thing that Plaza did was make it easier to cross the street. Asides from that, there's really no reason for it. There's a park that's literally across the street that one can do the same thing in without smelling like a car engine.

Rename the city to Plazaville............

City prefers to spend money on building Plazas but can't spent on IMPORTANT things... Maybe FUND the NYPD to have more cops or the (MTA)...

What a waste of money in this economy!

The pedestrians have been nice. I have certainly used some of them myself, having had lunch there by 23rd and Bway on a few occasions in the shade. :cool: However, what troubles me is why the city is so concerned about adding more plazas, while our city streets are falling apart???

As Councilman Ulrich said, "Why can't we just get back to basics, and worry more about paving the streets than we are about installing bike lanes and putting in pedestrian plazas where communities don't want them[?]" We need to focus on getting the streets paved and using better materials so that they don't fall apart merely a few years after being paved and focus more on decreasing congestion. Also, where is the money coming from to pay for these plazas?? Don't get me wrong, I think they're good for the city overall, but we have more important priorities at the moment.

Hello Staten Island, USA:(

The only thing that Plaza did was make it easier to cross the street. Asides from that, there's really no reason for it. There's a park that's literally across the street that one can do the same thing in without smelling like a car engine.

That park can get really crowded, not to mention the bums sitting along 23rd st, which leaves next to nowhere to sit. I never sit there where those bums sit at. The plaza there at 23rd does serve as a boom to the businesses around there because folks sit and have drinks and food and such. Quite frankly I don't see the fumes being that big of a deal if you're away from the street and by the sidewalk. Can't be any worse than sitting on the benches there outside of the park.

Why are they grouping bike lanes in with pedestrian plaza's in their comments?

Do these people seriously think that everyone needs to drive within the city & bike lanes all removed?

Plazas are nice, i enjoy them, however they have nothing to do with bike lanes AT ALL.

- A

They are related because the current DOT administration is pushing both ideas. With the zoning incentives given to developers to create midtown plazas, you have to ask yourself if more are indeed necessary in this area, or is the idea just to have less space for cars. Some bike lanes were installed not to help cyclists but only so a lane of traffic could be removed.

I think he is referring to the state of the roads and the congestion here.

And sadly, I have to agree with Councilman Eric Ulrich on this one. We have plenty of bad roads all over this city, even if Ulrich represents some of the biggest car-centric neighborhoods in Queens with some of the longest commutes in the city (Howard Beach, Ozone Park, Woodhaven, and the western portion of the Rockaways).

They are related because the current DOT administration is pushing both ideas. With the zoning incentives given to developers to create midtown plazas, you have to ask yourself if more are indeed necessary in this area, or is the idea just to have less space for cars. Some bike lanes were installed not to help cyclists but only so a lane of traffic could be removed.

Nothing new concidering how anti-car he is....

I'll tell them where they can shove those goddamn pedestrian plazas.

"We have so many pedestrians and so much need to be able to sit and enjoy the weather and to read," said Manhattan Councilwoman Gale Brewer.

Do you normally sit in the damn street to read, or is the street for traffic and the sidewalk for the other B.S.?

basically NYC DOES NOT WANT YOU TO DRIVE PERIOD!!!!! That is why they could care less about the roads. That is why lanes are removed. Why dont ppl get it cars go nowhere in NYC period!!!! The streets are the worst!!!! and the city loves it that way for a reason. The idea is to bully the cars out of NYC!!! That is what the DOT wants.

Archived