Studies Done By the DOT Regarding Service To LaGuardia, Queensboro Bridge Buses, and more!

checkmatechamp13

great I guess I wasn't the only one smart enough to know LGA needs better service!!!! Q33/47 dont count nor Q72 they are dog slow. Most of these rtes they are suggesting are very similar to my ideas!!!

great I guess I wasn't the only one smart enough to know LGA needs better service!!!! Q33/47 dont count nor Q72 they are dog slow. Most of these rtes they are suggesting are very similar to my ideas!!!

Oh, lord what could they be? :P

There is no suggestion of any routes... This is the DOT we're talking about here....

What the heck are you talkin about ?

Stop readin what you want to read, and consider what's actually being SAID:

LaGuardia Airport is the only major airport in the New York metro area without a rapid transit connection, and much of western Queens lacks easy access to the subway for local travel. The idea of providing rapid transit for the airport and the surrounding community has been studied many times over the years, but nothing has ever been implemented.

Case you still don't see it, it mentions RAPID TRANSIT....

Twice.

Rapid transit = travel by way of RAIL, as opposed to the bus.....

Simple concept.....

The corridor is currently served by the M60,Q33, Q47, Q48 and Q72 bus routes, but service on these routes is often slowed by narrow streets and long dwell times.

This is doin nothin more than IDENTIFYING the problem, regarding those bus routes that happen to serve LGA..... god damn.....

Isn't it funny how everyone is always stealing his ideas...? :(

Word...

Quick story...

It's like what my aunt does when she's watching Jeopardy.... The category can be "planets".... Alex reads the answer for a particular planet, and she'll sit up there & go "uranus, neptune, venus, jupiter, saturn...." One of the contestants responds correctly in sayin "what is jupiter" (for example)..... and she'll be like:

I got it right... I said Jupiter !!!

(yeah, on like the 4th damn try)

What this guy is doin, is no different.... dude (supposedly) has ideas for EVERYTHING transit related.... he blurts out the most ill-thought out, random isht you'll see on any forum.... When (or if) some iota of w/e he may have mentioned actually comes into fruition, I can guarantee he'll be the first dude to be like:

Yup, that was my idea - they finally listened to me...

(no, not the whole idea... just that little part of it [that was probably unintentional on your part])

It's a cheap way of tryna feel more important (smarter) than you actually are...

If I list all possibilities, I can never be wrong....

There is no suggestion of any routes... This is the DOT we're talking about here....

What the heck are you talkin about ?

Stop readin what you want to read, and consider what's actually being SAID:

Case you still don't see it, it mentions RAPID TRANSIT....

Twice.

Rapid transit = travel by way of RAIL, as opposed to the bus.....

Simple concept.....

This is doin nothin more than IDENTIFYING the problem, regarding those bus routes that happen to serve LGA..... god damn.....

sorry I get it back to suburbs for me

Hoqever rail is ideal but bus over highway should be the 1st step

will bus over highway be a good first step?? cause its a cheap way to get ppl aquainted with non stop

Here is where I will agree w/ the railfanners/railbuffs....

Some type of rail transportation to/from LGA should (have long been) considered.... The buses that emanate from different points of the city to the airport, are doing the bare minimum a job.... Local bus routes that serve an airport is not the sole focus of/behind that particular bus route's existence..... Said routes also have to provide transport in w/e neighborhoods they locally run through, as well.....

a bus route directly to an airport (serving no other intermediate points) in this city, iddn't practical (see NYAS)... due to the fact that there are THREE airports in the general vicinity of the boroughs (EWR LGA, JFK)... and believe me, people will (and do) exercise their options.... Not to mention the congestion on our roads, etc etc.....

Way I see it, we have AirTrain from Jamaica to JFK.....

I say it's high time we have AirTrain from Astoria Blvd subway to LGA !

I'd rather see the (N) and (Q) extended to LGA (leave out that pesky transfer), but I can hear the Astoria titty attack already over the idea of an extension of the el, or even worse the horrors of building a subway.

Some type of rail transportation to/from LGA should (have long been) considered.... The buses that emanate from different points of the city to the airport, are doing the bare minimum a job.... Local bus routes that serve an airport is not the sole focus of/behind that particular bus route's existence..... Said routes also have to provide transport in w/e neighborhoods they locally run through, as well.....

a bus route directly to an airport (serving no other intermediate points) in this city, iddn't practical (see NYAS)... due to the fact that there are THREE airports in the general vicinity of the boroughs (EWR LGA, JFK)... and believe me, people will (and do) exercise their options.... Not to mention the congestion on our roads, etc etc.....

However the highways are really bad and another airtrain line will be a godsend. It should link jamacia LIRR with flushing with LGA and why stop there have it go to GWB by cutting through Bronx.

The highway buses I suggested already serve neighborhoods. and DO NOT originate from areas NYAS operates!!!! I agree with railfanners that there needs to be airtrain from jamacia to LGA connecting with the port washington LIRR at flushing. Then have buses from other areas like if they want quick from 3rd ave bronx just extend BX55 if BX15 a local can enter manhattan why can't BX55 enter queens BX55 is a damn limited stop!!!! so its not even at a standstill like the BX15. The NIMBYs in astoria are embarassingly powerful we should start with regional travellers first as traffic on LIE needs to be addressed. Heck BX55 can alternate to LGA nonstop or jackson heights via astoria. Another bus to LGA via BQE but as an extension of one of the buses there. NO I am not thinking about Q33. But a short rte.

I'd rather see the (N) and (Q) extended to LGA (leave out that pesky transfer), but I can hear the Astoria titty attack already over the idea of an extension of the el, or even worse the horrors of building a subway.

sad but true. Those astoria ppl are very anti transit the only way that would work is imminent domain kick em out by force!!!!! There is no reasoning with NIMBYs at all!!!!

None of the highway ideas have anything to do with these ideas

What they should do is route all those express buses via the Midtown Tunnel in the PM. Cut the QM3 PM stops west of the GCP. This would eliminate all of the ugly Queens Blvd traffic light delays. The local buses should stay as they are.

As for LGA service, a bus lane and frequent shuttle service between Astoria Blvd (N) and the airport would do well as a precursor to a rapid transit extension that may never happen.

The Jamaica plan eerily reminds me of the Flushing traffic calming plan, like the Flushing plan, it may not work (other than the Q44 not making that turn, I don't see any improvements)

Downtown Brooklyn needs a customer information improvement: by looking at the map, I have no clear idea where I should be waiting for a certain bus route.

Bx55 to LGA is a great idea but I don't really think the ridership would be there with M60 operating.

But Why not extend the (N) to LGA via the Grand Central Pkwy similar to the JFK Airtrain its not that far and NE Queens in general would benefit.

Highway bus service maybe an express bus wouldnt be a terrible idea.

I seriously think some routes (downtown brooklyn I'm talkin about) should be moved onto Schermerhorn st...

- Livingston is the mess that it is (I'm sorry, that bus lane is NOT helping)....

- buses crawl along Fulton Mall due to the speed restriction... and the fact the roadway itself, compared to the sidewalk [both sides] being less than half the size... I always felt there was too much sidewalk space along the fulton mall strip)....

- Flatbush av extension is always gonna be a traffic nightmare....

....and here you have next to nothin (traffic-wise) runnin along Schermerhorn....

Hoyt-Schermerhorn on the (A)(C)(G) should be far more used than what it is... It's so obscure, I bet a lot of people that work/go to school downtown don't even know it's there... Everything is so fixated around Jay st-Metrotech....

...the cadman plaza area, I still say that area binding cadman plz west, johnson, cadman plz east, & tillary should have been carved into a bus terminal... people loiter around over there for the fulton av buses (and the 103) anyway... Have that happen, and you wouldn't have the B62, B61/65, B45, and the B54 ALL terminating in different sections of downtown....

What they should do is route all those express buses via the Midtown Tunnel in the PM. Cut the QM3 PM stops west of the GCP. This would eliminate all of the ugly Queens Blvd traffic light delays. The local buses should stay as they are.

As for LGA service, a bus lane and frequent shuttle service between Astoria Blvd (N) and the airport would do well as a precursor to a rapid transit extension that may never happen.

The Jamaica plan eerily reminds me of the Flushing traffic calming plan, like the Flushing plan, it may not work (other than the Q44 not making that turn, I don't see any improvements)

Downtown Brooklyn needs a customer information improvement: by looking at the map, I have no clear idea where I should be waiting for a certain bus route.

BX55 to LGA will be supported by huge crowds from subways in bronx and an additional extension beyond LGA to absorb the former Q74 select trips only thus adding rapid LGA access from other areas of queens via transfer. Other select trips absorb Q48. The N already has frequent M60 service that basically goes to LGA fast its not like the M60 crawls as it does not by any means. An airtrain connecting the different LIRR lines and LGA would be much more beneficial. As it creates a crosstown kind of rail line.

Bx55 to LGA is a great idea but I don't really think the ridership would be there with M60 operating.

But Why not extend the (N) to LGA via the Grand Central Pkwy similar to the JFK Airtrain its not that far and NE Queens in general would benefit.

Highway bus service maybe an express bus wouldnt be a terrible idea.

Ur actually off the M60 and Bx55 serve 2 completely different travel groups. The M60 serves manhattan ppl and connecting passengers from metro-north bound for LGA honestly M60 needs artics badly.

The Bx55 is targeting Bronx ppl those who arent able to reach M60 so easilly without a tedious transfer. Therefore its like apples and oranges they dont mix cause unlike M60 the BX55 will bypass astoria and remain on GCP another BX rte will go to jackson heights via astoria.

BX55 to LGA will be supported by huge crowds from subways in bronx and an additional extension beyond LGA to absorb the former Q74 select trips only thus adding rapid LGA access from other areas of queens via transfer. Other select trips absorb Q48. The N already has frequent M60 service that basically goes to LGA fast its not like the M60 crawls as it does not by any means. An airtrain connecting the different LIRR lines and LGA would be much more beneficial. As it creates a crosstown kind of rail line.

I seriously do think the Q48 should be redesigned; the scheduling & the physical route itself.... People are more comfortable taking the (7) to 74th & xferring to the Q33, than they are simply taking the Q48 @ Flushing to the airport... that's how erratic, unreliable, and downright slow the 48 is....

That statement you made about the N & the M60 doesn't make a damn bit of sense... and forget about the (former) Q74 going to LGA.....

Ur actually off the M60 and Bx55 serve 2 completely different travel groups. The M60 serves manhattan ppl and connecting passengers from metro-north bound for LGA honestly M60 needs artics badly.

The Bx55 is targeting Bronx ppl those who arent able to reach M60 so easilly without a tedious transfer. Therefore its like apples and oranges they dont mix cause unlike M60 the BX55 will bypass astoria and remain on GCP another BX rte will go to jackson heights via astoria.

nope... he's (Hoodciti) spot on actually....

You're completely ignoring (or oblivious to) why the M60 gets the crowds it does w/i Manhattan, towards Queens....

As good an idea as sending Bx55's into Queens may sound.... You extend that route to LGA, and you will watch M60 ridership drop along 125th.... Don't think for a second that the majority of M60 riders that board in Manhattan, are from Manhattan; quite a bit of em take the subway (from the Bronx) down to 125th, for the M60 to the airport.....

When it comes to service from 74th St to LGA, the best thing should be extending the Q47 to serve all of the terminals since it doesn't have to deal with the traffic along 82nd Street and Roosevelt Avenue. In addition, it's the most direct route to the 74th St terminal, thus making it the primary LGA-to-74th St route.

As for service from LGA to the Bronx, I'd rather create a new route to Yankee Stadium (or possibly to Lenox Terminal to connect to the (3) train, thus allowing an alternative for Bronx-Harlem service), serving Melrose, Mott haven, The Hub, and the Courthouses. I would call this route either the Bx45 or Bx50. I'd rather send the Bx55 to Harlem or leave it alone in order to avoid more delays for 3rd Avenue riders.

When it comes to service from 74th St to LGA, the best thing should be extending the Q47 to serve all of the terminals since it doesn't have to deal with the traffic along 82nd Street and Roosevelt Avenue. In addition, it's the most direct route to the 74th St terminal, thus making it the primary LGA-to-74th St route.

As for service from LGA to the Bronx, I'd rather create a new route to Yankee Stadium (or possibly to Lenox Terminal to connect to the (3) train, thus allowing an alternative for Bronx-Harlem service), serving Melrose, Mott haven, The Hub, and the Courthouses. I would call this route either the Bx45 or Bx50. I'd rather send the Bx55 to Harlem or leave it alone in order to avoid more delays for 3rd Avenue riders.

Or we can extend BX13 which already serves yankee stadium. Bx55 extension to LGA is more of a relief line to take pressure off the M60 which is beyond capacity. Plus if the BX55 bypasses astoria then ppl to astoria will still use M60 and from astoria thus reducing the Bx55's impact on M60 ridership seriously give the ppl what they want direct service

Bx55 extension to LGA is more of a relief line to take pressure off the M60 which is beyond capacity.
That "extension" is nothing but a foamer's dream. Sorry, but how extending the Bx55 is going to help the M60 in any way? Leave the route alone, it's fine operating from Fordham/Williamsbridge to The Hub. Have you ever taken the M60 by any chance?

You're right. You see plenty of people on the Q33 and Q72 (I haven't ridden the Q47 or Q48, but I'm sure it's the same story) who use the buses to get around their neighborhood, without ever using it to get to the airport. Let's face it: The majority of the people who use buses to get to the airport are the airport employees themselves.

Or, rather than create a shuttle, you can just add some M60 short-turns. That, and maybe the MTA can market the M60 a bit more.

Archived