Both LIRR tunnels finished

TwoTimer

Its work complete, one of two 200-ton, 22-foot-tall tunnel boring machines digging the tunnels and caverns that will bring Long Island Rail Road trains into Grand Central Terminal is being buried this week, 14 stories below Park Avenue.

Of course, it's already been underground since 2007 when it began digging the tunnels. But now it's being "buried," or permanently sealed behind a wall at the end of the last tunnel it built and encased in concrete. Believe it or not, it is actually saves money to bury the machine at the end of the tunnel rather than try to retrieve the spent monster from the far end of the tunnel or sell it for scrap.

Read more: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=320

post-4660-133288582624_thumb.jpg

post-4660-133288582624_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, it is actually saves money to bury the machine at the end of the tunnel rather than try to retrieve the spent monster from the far end of the tunnel or sell it for scrap.

Really? That is interesting. Good to know there's progress on this project.

I am sure the LIRR extension to Grand Central will finish and open ahead of the SAS so called '1st leg' to 96th St and 2nd.

Still good news as this will lessen some overcrowding going for LI riders going to the East Side. Thus the (E) subway line will likely be freed from the stuffed SRO it currently has weekdays.

Only negative is that could the (4)(5)(6) handle any more riders from the LIRR? Some LIRR riders will no doubt use the Lex to get to work in the Wall Street area instead of say using the LIRR to Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn and transfer to the (2)(3)(4)(5) lines.

Some LIRR riders will no doubt use the Lex to get to work in the Wall Street area instead of say using the LIRR to Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn and transfer to the (2)(3)(4)(5) lines.

There are lots of things that the MTA is working on, they are referred to as "East Side Access readiness" projects:

-Main Line Corridor Improvements (3 track/grade crossing elimination)

-Double track KO to Farmingdale

-Jamaica redesign to simplify and increase MAS

-New platform at Jamaica for "cross-borough scoot" between Atlantic Term and Jamaica

-Great Neck pocket track/Colonial Road Bridge

-Port Washington yard redesign

-Kew Gardens platform extension to 6 cars

-Mid-Suffolk electric yard in Yaphank

-Massapequa pocket track

-DMU procurement for east of Speonk/KO service

-M9 procurement

Unfortunately, many of these projects will not be completed by ESA's opening, even if that's early 2017.

I don't know what will become of the through trains to Brooklyn from Huntington, Ronkonkoma, and Babylon. I hope they still run through, but I doubt it. And Hunterspoint Avenue/LIC will see reduced service, maybe abandonment as passenger stations.

And I'm afraid the MTA won't be able to afford the ENORMOUS increase in operating costs associated with what will be the one of the largest service expansion projects in LI history.

Also, is the construction of a new Sunnyside station still in the plans?

When GCT link opens along with Sunnyside, I can see the (MTA) closing either Hunterpoint, LIC(most likely) or both.

There are lots of things that the MTA is working on, they are referred to as "East Side Access readiness" projects:

-New platform at Jamaica for "cross-borough scoot" between Atlantic Term and Jamaica

-Massapequa pocket track

-M9 procurement

Unfortunately, many of these projects will not be completed by ESA's opening, even if that's early 2017.

I don't know what will become of the through trains to Brooklyn from Huntington, Ronkonkoma, and Babylon. I hope they still run through, but I doubt it. And Hunterspoint Avenue/LIC will see reduced service, maybe abandonment as passenger stations.

And I'm afraid the MTA won't be able to afford the ENORMOUS increase in operating costs associated with what will be the one of the largest service expansion projects in LI history.

-Massapequa pocket track

-M9 procurement

He was talking about the congestion problem on the Lexington Avenue Line. With no word on the completion of the SAS, if it ever will be, its gonna be hell once 2017 comes around.

We bury people, people in their cars, knick knacks, and now machines. Soon we'll be burying houses, if we haven't already.:P

I don't necessarily see why ridership on the Lexington Ave. lines will increase. ESA simply means that riders can get to the (4)(5)(6) without taking the (E) from Penn to Lexington Ave. It just takes out an extra transfer, that's all.

ESA might open up options for people to take the (4)(5)(6) where they couldn't before. For example, someone going to 53rd and Lex might take the (6) instead of the (E), someone who might have gone from Penn Station to the Upper East Side via the M4 or something might take the (4)(5)(6) instead.

I'm not entirely sure myself, those were just some examples I could think of.

When GCT link opens along with Sunnyside, I can see the (MTA) closing either Hunterpoint, LIC(most likely) or both.

Unless the diesel trains would terminate at Sunnyside, closing HPA or LIC would be a nightmare because they have to access LIC yard, and Jamaica is already at capacity during rush hour, nowhere to terminate trains there

I dont think they will close those station down.

Not all of the Diesel trains can access Penn or GCT, unless they are Dual Mode.

Mind you, that LIRR has DE30 which is all diesel, and those can't enter Penn. DMs can pretty much do.

-Massapequa pocket track

-M9 procurement

Is all of that really necessary? I know the Main Line ROW and the Jamaica improvements are imperative, but is a cross borough scoot really important to LIRR passengers?

They'll afford it. I don't see the state leaving them SOL/JWF in terms of funding. Plus there's the option of increasing fares to help pay for the new expenses.

I don't necessarily see why ridership on the Lexington Ave. lines will increase. ESA simply means that riders can get to the (4)(5)(6) without taking the (E) from Penn to Lexington Ave. It just takes out an extra transfer, that's all.

Not everyone goes that route. Some passengers are going into Lower Manhattan and would gain better access with the (4) as opposed to the (E), and some passengers benefit from getting off at GCT as opposed to Penn Station. It's already been projected that there will be at least some ridership increase on the Lexington Avenue line.

What would help alleviate overcrowding on the (4)(5) and (6) is if the Brooklyn LIRR line went into Lower Manhattan. Of course that isn't happening in our lifetimes so we'll just have to deal.

As stated above, the 4xx series DE30's cannot access Penn nor GCT because it emits Diesel fumes therefore Hunterspoint will still be open to Passenger Service, however LIC might be shut down until there is sufficient demand in the devoloping neighborhood.

Personally, I am confident all lines can handle the extra load except Port Washington which really needs that pocket track at Great Neck and a re-design and streamlining of the Port Washington Yard as also noted above.

Why would LIC be shut down and Hunterspoint be used as an end point?

Archived