Bus Operator Exam 2301

maxamillion

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must have missed something here,  when was 2301 changed to PT?

It wasnt its just that MTA is asking that if you dont want to wait till a FT opens there are PT positions that need filling and we are talking about how bad an idea

what do you mean no option?

Example NJ transit, Maryland MTA, and Chicago TA when you apply for the bus op position you are hired PT only there is no choice like most jobs and then have to meet a certain requirement example 520 driving hours and a clean record (which is BS there were more to that that they didnt explain when i got into NJT not to mention the politics of the job) and when FT opens they fill it with PT

yep your right! Don't get me wrong I'm taking the job if offered but I am sort of turned off by the 2301 exam application process and all the things that are going on. There were a lots of stories and news about many bus driver retiring so I thought the 2301 would be a good list. Hopefully I'm not analyzing things too much.

I have taken the 2613 exam and what startles me is that the 2613 application filing started 9 months after 2301 while its process is probably ahead of if not neck to neck with 2301right about now. If the answer key posted on March 20th for 2613 becomes final I will have an 82.5% score. To tell you the truth I'm hoping to and rather get in with TA over MTA and MABSTOA.

Agreed not even taking into the account of being civil service, and NYCERs, TA has all the garages and lines I would want to work out of while I wait for promo test to arrive..and my pops is out of flatbush the way he talks Bus Ops are dropping like flies from retirement he told 9 left last week

Whats strange is I took 2613 also and like everyone else waiting on our official grades and list # I havent even taken the 2301 BOSS yet. #14535 with the way theyre working I expect to test by june the latest. I get the application fee for TA but what does our application fee actually do when applying for OA and BC (other than try and close their debts) the BOSS is something we should be able to log into and do from home it isnt exactly something whose answers we can google

Hey, just joined here. I took the BOSS this past December and got a notice back in February saying "Congratulations! You have successfully completed the Bus Operator Selection Survey." I was also given another random list number. I'm assuming this means I've passed, right? I just passed my CDL permit today and got my medical examiners cirtificate. All I have to do is go down to the DMV my next day off and give them my cirtificate.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much longer the process is? Thanks a lot.

At the end of the day; If you take the part time B/O position, you will be helping to eliminate the full time positions. Think about it for a moment. Think long term. This is not a foot in the door towards getting hired full time! They will still have to hire full time off the list. I am sure if you take the part time position, you will not be liked by the unions and other people trying to get a career as a "FULL TIME" Bus operator.  No one should take the p/t offer. Be a team player and wait it out!

Hey, just joined here. I took the BOSS this past December and got a notice back in February saying "Congratulations! You have successfully completed the Bus Operator Selection Survey." I was also given another random list number. I'm assuming this means I've passed, right? I just passed my CDL permit today and got my medical examiners cirtificate. All I have to do is go down to the DMV my next day off and give them my cirtificate. Just wondering if anyone knows how much longer the process is? Thanks a lot.

I have not a clue how long this process is going to take. But compared to the details of the application we all paid for and what MTA is trying to do with this part time business does not add up at all. Anyhow-you say that you got a new list number? What was your first list number and what is your new list number?

Sorry, my mistake. I thought the random # was slightly different, but I guess not. I don't remember what my original number was, but my current number is on my letter about completing the BOSS.

----

So has anyone actually heard of anyone failing the BOSS?

I have not a clue how long this process is going to take. But compared to the details of the application we all paid for and what MTA is trying to do with this part time business does not add up at all. Anyhow-you say that you got a new list number? What was your first list number and what is your new list number?

Hello fellow Bus drivers and drivers to be,I feel the MTA didn't anticipate so many successfully completing the boss.I think this is why they are offering part time.Obama Care I believe is the major culprit,I'm hearing it's going to mandate companies to offer coverage for all fulltime workers.The health care is optional in your choosing,but it's a mandate to choose.Everyone is going to be penalized for no health care at all ,including companies.

Turned in my medical papers to the DMV. I officially have a class B CDL permit.

I was wondering, does anyone here actually have their CDL license already? I know the MTA trains you and gives you a road test, but wouldn't it be better to have your license beforehand? I called a driving school and they offer 5 CDL lessons for 450 dollars, and 200 to use their vehicle during the road test. They lady on the phone suggested that I get a school bus endorcement too. Does anyone think these are good ideas?

Turned in my medical papers to the DMV. I officially have a class B CDL permit.

I was wondering, does anyone here actually have their CDL license already? I know the MTA trains you and gives you a road test, but wouldn't it be better to have your license beforehand? I called a driving school and they offer 5 CDL lessons for 450 dollars, and 200 to use their vehicle during the road test. They lady on the phone suggested that I get a school bus endorcement too. Does anyone think these are good ideas?

Hello Yankee321,first of all on behalf of myself and other members we would like to welcome you to the forum.Secondly I would personally like to congratulate you on your recent accomplishment,God is good.I would also like to reccomend you  to a school called redhook on the road.They will help you get your cdl or let me say, pay for you to get your cdl if you meet the requirements.I got mine through a voucher at workforce 1 back in 2010.Last I heard workforce 1 discontinued that service back in 2011.If I were you I would check to see if they put it back.I also have a cdl b,with tanker,passenger,schoolbus and taxi limousine endorsements.I would definitely try to get every endorsement in the b class except for the hazmat.I now live in Delaware,school bus companies out here will train you out here for free and let you use there bus if you come in with a class d.Unlike New york pity dmv doesn't charge you for a road test until you pass and then it's only the licence fee,no more than 40 dollars.Also you now have a class c licence,I would try to get a job with an ambulette company like exclusive ambulette,which would sponsor you for your TLC paratransit.You can even get a job with access a ride,just to get the driving experience and an eye catcher on your resume.here are the links.

http://newyork.earnbenefits.org/page.php?pageID=286

http://www.bwiny.org/pages/rhotr.html

http://www.exclusiveambulette.com/index_home.htm

http://www.indeed.com/q-Access-A-Ride-l-Queens-County,-NY-jobs.html

Hello Yankee321,first of all on behalf of myself and other members we would like to welcome you to the forum.Secondly I would personally like to congratulate you on your recent accomplishment,God is good.I would also like to reccomend you  to a school called redhook on the road.They will help you get your cdl or let me say, pay for you to get your cdl if you meet the requirements.I got mine through a voucher at workforce 1 back in 2010.Last I heard workforce 1 discontinued that service back in 2011.If I were you I would check to see if they put it back.I also have a cdl b,with tanker,passenger,schoolbus and taxi limousine endorsements.I would definitely try to get every endorsement in the b class except for the hazmat.I now live in Delaware,school bus companies out here will train you out here for free and let you use there bus if you come in with a class d.Unlike New york pity dmv doesn't charge you for a road test until you pass and then it's only the licence fee,no more than 40 dollars.Also you now have a class c licence,I would try to get a job with an ambulette company like exclusive ambulette,which would sponsor you for your TLC paratransit.You can even get a job with access a ride,just to get the driving experience and an eye catcher on your resume.here are the links.

http://newyork.earnbenefits.org/page.php?pageID=286

http://www.bwiny.org/pages/rhotr.html

http://www.exclusiveambulette.com/index_home.htm

http://www.indeed.com/q-Access-A-Ride-l-Queens-County,-NY-jobs.html

I did heard about that free training. My friend is a bus operator and told me about workforce from dept of labor I tried and was discontinued.

For bus operator is class b what tests I need to take to obtain the permit?

I did heard about that free training. My friend is a bus operator and told me about workforce from dept of labor I tried and was discontinued.

For bus operator is class b what tests I need to take to obtain the permit?

General Core, Air Breaks, and Passenger. Make sure you study really hard for the General Core... It's a kind of tough.

Thanks for your response Yankee.

Oh yeah the General Core is kind of tough.

I took the General Core and Passenger at the same time.

Passed Passenger and Failed Core.

50 questions on the Core exam.

Bravo check with red hook on the road,they have a school and will help you get your cdl b license at there expense.I think you just have to attend the program and stay in good standing.The general knowledge is definitely the most challenging of the written but by the grace of God I passed it 1st time around.I failed passenger 1st try and airbrakes.

*BREAKING NEWS!!!* I believe I may have just delivered a part time letter. has anyone received one ?

Hi I just received a part-time letter as well.

I am not taking the part-time job.

It may lead to a full time job but when that will be the day.

At 17.84 hrly rate for up to 30 hours, not a secured adventure driving a bus all kind of hours and holidays.

May be able to work over 30 hours if driving shuttle buses or express buses.

Congratulations to you for receiving the letter.

Its a positive direction towards your career with MTA

Bravo check with red hook on the road,they have a school and will help you get your cdl b license at there expense.I think you just have to attend the program and stay in good standing.The general knowledge is definitely the most challenging of the written but by the grace of God I passed it 1st time around.I failed passenger 1st try and airbrakes.

I am currently a carpenter and working a lot of overtime and don't have the time to take any classes but I am studying the book to pass the core test. Thanks for your responses I appreciate it.

I really hope people take a stand and not accept this OR position. like I said earlier though each person situation is unique so......

I already decided not to take the part-time.

I agree some people situation is different and may come through for them.

MTA has something up their sleeves. :)

I just received my part-time letter is well. there's no way in the world I'm taking this part time position. its just that I posted earlier, full time work with no benefits.

I could see that MTA are trying to do without benefits. Is not worth working with MTA then.

They will try to revert the benefits like no pension, major medical, etc...

I will continue studying for the core and air brakes in order to obtain the permit.

passenger will be on record for two years which is cool.

Since we already received the part-time letter and if I don't accept what occurs to the opportunity for full time positions.

I still have my letter waiting for the medical.

I appreciate for your responses.

Doesn't everyone who passed the BOSS have a medical letter waiting? I'm really not sure what the best option is. I have a feeling if you take the Part Time you might be stuck with part time.

Archived