What was everyone doing the morning of 9/11/2001?

N-Trizzy2609

Since we now less than a week from the 10th year since maybe the worst day in American history occured, i will now briefly tell my story.

I was working for then NYC Councilman Ken Fisher as an asst. press aide in his campaign to become Brooklyn Boro President. Was on the phone with my ex-girlfriend from New Hampshire as i leaving for work on primary day. She screamed and told me to turn on the tv and hung up.

Watched the tv and thought at first, it was a terrible accident. Then left the house and was in my car when the 2nd plane hit. Got to the 2nd office in Brighton Beach as Fisher was also teaming up with Community Activst Joe Hockhauser for the city council seat for CI/Gravesend/parts of Bensonhurst area. Saw the campaign manager who was not aware that the 2nd WTC tower was hit. I basically told him that the primary had been cancelled by Gov. Pataki.

On my way home driving heard on 1010 WINS, when the first tower collapsed. My then girlfriend called me crying as i was unaware of the horrors that was occuring in Lower Manhattan.

Then got home to watch moments before the 2nd WTC tower went down.

The campaign/primary was cancelled and just like much of the world that day watched the rest of that nightmare day at home. I did not cry/weep until a couple of days later when i saw the memorial cermony/national day of mourning that friday 9/14/11. My G/F at that time and me wept together.:cry:

Soon after when the primaries was held 2 weeks later on 9/25/11, Ken Fisher lost the BP primary to Marty Markowitz and a year later i broke up with my girlfriend. Still a period in my life i never forget.:)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trainmaster 5 story was inspiring :tup:

I was Driving A School Bus at the time and since that was my last week I'll never forget it cause I was going to QSC.

I couldn't believe how many Fire Trucks I saw racing down Lex ave ,That's when I looked South for a moment on 3ave ,I could see Smoke so I parked my bus and went into Dalton ,What I saw on T.V. will never leave my mind and till this day I will never forget being by bellvue and seeing those Trailers with all the Dead inside (Creepy I Swear).I saw so many people screaming and crying ,Even for me it was touching but I ain't gonna lie to y'all ...KR shed a Tear or 2 .

Seeing these people going nuts for their loved one really made you think.

For almost all of us on the boards epecially those now ages 15-40 in 2011, this was the tragic news event that changed our lives forever. For those born between 1930-'55 including baby boomers which my parents are a part of, the '9/11' event for them was the JFK murder in 1963.

My mom has lived through both JFK and 9/11. she was an eyewitness seeing the smoke of the 2nd plane hitting the WTC as well in sky from her old home in Coney Island a decade ago as well.

2nd Grade.

My school had a parking lot across the street from the school where we would play during morning brake. I remember break being really short that day (like 5 minutes).

When we were walking back across the street, we had to look to see if any cars were coming and when we did, we saw the first tower with smoke coming out of it.

Obviously none of knew what was going on, but we got to go home early. I remember I wanted to watch TV, but couldn't (b/c of the antenna on one of the towers).

The more interesting story is what happened with my dad. At the time, he was a lieutenant at a precinct in Queens (110th Precinct, I think). Anyway, he finished his shift that day, but one of his bosses needed him to drop something off in Lower Manhattan.

So he's on the (E) train going to the WTC station and the train stops at Canal Street. He gets off and said he saw thousands of people running north, away from WTC.

He goes south, toward it and stops at a precinct a couple blocks away asking if they needed any help. They put him on the phone station since all the cops/civil employees who worked there were at the site. He handled calls for 12 hours by himself and needed to see a doctor afterwards because his ears were messed up.

My mom was freaking out because she didn't know where he was and he worked for 28 hours straight or something like that.

For almost all of us on the boards epecially those now ages 15-40 in 2011, this was the tragic news event that changed our lives forever. For those born between 1930-'55 including baby boomers which my parents are a part of, the '9/11' event for them was the JFK murder in 1963.

My mom has lived through both JFK and 9/11. she was an eyewitness seeing the smoke of the 2nd plane hitting the WTC as well in sky from her old home in Coney Island a decade ago as well.

I have also lived through both events and I remember where I was in 1963. I was a freshman at Erasmus Hall H.S., standing outside during lunch period, when the first news hit. Nobody believed it until an older man came out of the cafeteria located on the corner of Flatbush and Church with a transistor radio and told a few of us about it. After lunch period was over and I returned to class there was a school-wide PA announcement about the death of JFK and I think we we all sent home. I remember older guys talking about war with the Russians on the way home, even though the circumstances of the shooting weren't clear at the time. Everyone spent the weekend watching TV news and many of us saw Jack Ruby get shot. Comparing the two events today I personally think the 9/11 tragedy and the events leading up to it remind me of Pearl Harbor because the country let it's guard down in both instances and we were unprepared even though the warning signs were out. That, and the amount of fatalities on 9/11, will stick with me forever.

Could you had not waited until at least sept. 1 to create this?

Comepletely irrelevant to topic.

No rules on the forum stating a specific date you can post a thread.

Let's think about it next time before we go off the deep-end with a thought and it backfires.

Your right, but I rather start it early before someone bet me to it with the topic since the 10 year anniversay is approaching.

It shouldn't matter who starts the topic; we all were affected that day no matter how you look at it.

And, now to post 'on-topic'-

It was my 2nd week of high school as a freshman, in our Living Environment class when we got word about the towers. At the point the staff's office was flooded with parent phone calls, and many coming to the school themselves to pick-up their child. My mother came faster than you can "sweet potatoe pie" as they called the classroom ext. number and went downstairs.

We're in the car heading down Atlantic Avenue and couldn't believe the traffic. There was clearly noway around it. The radios were flooded with the tragegic news.

Finally getting to the hood everyone is outside in disbelief. I didn't understand it myself as I assumed the towers were hit but didn't know they collapsed (destroyed), which then blew my mind.

I stayed out of school for a few days as my mother and I stayed glued to the TV set. And good thing we had cable at the time as the over-the-air TVs were fucCed with no signal, hence the towers falling with their reception antennas

Nothing more to add as it was just a gloomy few weeks afterwards.

But I'll tell you one thing- ten years went by in a blink; I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was at preschool in Manhattan doing fun stuff so I didn't know what happened. When school is over our teacher said that we have to stay in the school. I was trapped there for hours because I couldn't leave Manhattan. When it's okay to leave I took the school bus home.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.I was in my 4th grade class at that time. I remember how everyone was getting picked up by their parents and I wondered what was going on? then my mom picked me up from my school. I asked here what was going on? she tells me that an airplane went into the WTC. at that moment I thought about my dad because at that time he was working in lower manhattan. when he came home I can see that he was alright. Everyone in my family had trouble sleeping for about a week due to 9/11. I also remembering seeing both towers go down on the T.V it was a day I'm sure no one especially new yorkers and people in D.C will ever forget.

First day of high school taking public transportation, One of the teacher told Me that plane hit the WTC and I was shocked when I saw it on the TV that they set up at the cafeteria. I was more shocked since I took Field trips to the WTC in the 4th and 5th grade on the top floor and imaging people scream for help on the top floor,I had thows dreams for weeks after 9/11. :)

Little off Topic but a big memory of that day. * This may surprise people what i say. While i am not a big Howard Stern fan i was in car with my former campaign boss with the Ken Fisher team that day. As i drop him home (he was a big Stern fan)i actually was amazed at the great coverage he provided that day. This was of course Howard being on 'free' radio on his old 'K-Rock' show in NYC and synidcated across the country. Here the first moments while he was 'live' with his show.

*PG Warning for Language.*

1)Howard Stern 9/11 Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6xlkxKEG3Q

2)part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH1q6B3b0vE&feature=related

I was in school when the events occurred, in fifth grade. Around 9:00 people on the school were going frantic and then the school slowly emptied out as parents were picking up their kids left and right. We got out at 1:45 that day and first thing I saw on TV was the news as I didn't have cable yet. The only channel we had was CBS 2 as the other TV stations' transmitters that were on top of the WTC were destroyed.

Sept. 12th, no school all day. Sept. 13th, barely anyone showed up. It was a slow and dreadful week for everyone.

As I stated earlier, 10 years ago tonight, I watched this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9qiqv83so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5o-bLfFUGk&feature=related

Great episode. I found it ironic, looking back at what happened 10 years ago tomorrow, that the broadcaster referred to the Tony Hawk news as an Extreme Bulletin. What did you do the night before this attack?

Tuesday, September 11th, 2001 at that time, my mom and I were living in American Roommate name Ralph`s apartment on 1771 1st Av.

It was my usual school day, but I had doctor`s appointment at Mt. Sinai Hospital, so my mom and I were not morning news people, so not knowing we walk to hospital. I wrote note to Hoyt Transportation Inc. which was base from Queens day before.

After Doctor`s appointment, my mom went home and I went to 5th Av/102nd St bus stop, where M106 West Side came perfect timing.

When I paid my fare on M106 with Student MetroCard.

I overheard conversation between B/O and one passenger, that says, PLANE HIT TOWER.

I was not paying attention and I was eager to go to school, no matter what.

I got off at Central Park West/97th St and entered IND Central Park West 96th St Station to take either downtown (:P©. Free transfer.

After I paid my fare, there are no sign of downtrain train until I overheard 2 men said, NO SUBWAY, PLANE HIT TOWER.

Then I ask, PLANE HIT TOWER?

After man who said that replied yes, and I ran to 94th St entrance or IRT 7th Av-Broadway Line 96th St to take either downtown (1) to 59th St or downtown (2)(3) to 72nd St.

Along with other straphangers, we waited for trains.

We only saw uptown (2)(3)(1) rushing by, well as Redbird (5) train.

After redbird (5) train passed, there was PA Announcement:

LADIES & GENTLEMEN! DUE TO PLANE HIT TOWER, THERE ARE NO SUBWAY SERVICES. 2nd swipe.

I rush to Riverside Drive/97th St SB Bus Stop to wait for (M5) Greenwich Village, which came few minutes later and that (M5) came, which was crowded, but I didn`t want to late for school, I was able to squeeze into crowded bus. I was squeezed as sardine as (M5) crawl downtown.

During (M5) ride, B/O and passengers were talking about it.

At 72nd St Subway Station, I change to M57. Free transfers. Wasted on other subway.

I boarded M57 East Side and took to 57th St/10th Av.

When I enter 56th St from 10th Av to HSES, female HSES Security Guard thought I was cutting, even I was not in school yet, because I just got off the bus.

After paraprofessional Yuka Bell came and told her he was in Doctor`s appointment.

It was 4th period at that time, which was my favorite Computer Class.

Everyone was watching the news.

Even all English, History, ESL, MATH teachers were, too.

It was very sad day.

After school, Hoyt Transportation Inc contact HSES that they were stuck because of all bridge and tunnels were shutdown.

When that happened, Yuka call my mom and my mom pick me up.

We walk to 57th St/9th Av bus stop and got on M31 Yorkvlle perfect timing, but when I try to paid my fare with Student MetroCard, it was finish as it said, TOO MANY TRIPS. because I wasted on subway that never comes and I told the B/O, I wasted on subway, and he didn`t say anything.

As M31 cross over 8th Av, I saw smoke coming out from Twin Towers as it crawl along 57th St.

Every passenger were looking at tragic scene.

Ater we got off at front of our house, my mom gave me money for flower and I went to my best firehouse, Yorkville Fire Department to give flowers enroute to MET Museum.

When I went there, everyone was sad just like Dogpatch Engine 55 in movie called FIREHOUSE DOG sad moment.

All firefighters in that house including Ronnie Daly, Douglass Machel, Thomas Gutzler told me that Firefighter Vincent Kane and

ffvkane.jpg

http://bravestmemorial.net/html/members_individual/kane_vincent/newsdaycom_ffvkane.html

Walter+Hynes+2.jpg

http://todayremember.blogspot.com/2011/05/today-we-remember-captain-walter-g.html

After that, I went to MET Museum and went home.

I was at home when 9/11 happened, and I was only fourteen when it happened. The skycraper I lived in at the time (and still do) was built at an angle where we could see the towers peak out. While I was sleeping, my mom burst into my room and told me that a small carrier hit the north tower. Immediately, I woke up and turned on the news and watched the building burn from the top of the building. A few minuted later, I went up to the roof and saw a whole crowd watching it. Then, I saw the south tower's left side explode. At the time, I didn't know that a plane crashed into it. I actually didn't know what was happening until a couple of hours later. It was both surreal and horrifying simultaneously. Then, before the south tower collapsed, I went back inside my apartment, and my mom actually went to work while I was upstairs (she used to be a phone dispatcher a few blocks away from my home). But she was allowed to return home only after fifteen minutes on the job. A little after she arrived home, I went back up on the roof and saw the remaining north tower burning worse and worse, and I knew it wasn't going to stand much longer.

This was a very surreal day, because I had no idea something like this would occur in front of my eyes, especially something very catastrophic. Although my family was fine, it still disturbs and affects me in a way because my mom was almost hired to work in the World Trade Center's north tower. A few years prior (two to three years, I think), she applied for a job in the 104th floor, and she was one of the final two candidates. Mom was actually more prepared than her competitor, but didn't get the job. And I'm very grateful she didn't get it.

It's time...

9-11-01 A National Holiday.

Then you going to get those affected by 'Pearl Harbor' and even to a smaller degree 'Gettysburg' also screaming for a national holiday in America.

IMO 9/11 should not be a national holiday but a day of remberence but i would not sleep if a became a 'holiday' as well either. It would be a shame that say 10 years from now, in 2022 Target stating that '9/11 Holiday Sale on jeans and slacks.'

Archived