Hurricane Irene

Abba

I was told by my tour guide in Washington that 250,000 people planned to come to this dedication ceremony. Unfortunately, it appears that this stupid hurricane will force the cancellation of this event. :P :mad:

Well Andrew sadly late this evening from watching DC's Fox 5 washington local news, the MLK dedication cermony has been cancelled as orgainzers are now trying to schedule a late sept. smaller event. Blame on the B@T@H Irene.:mad:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is no joke I'm sure we remember the Blizzard on 12/26/10 the winds were intense and not even hurricane strength.I remember walking across the Concourse and I was caught I was like literally stopped while in a half step one foot off the ground when the wind was blowing against me and I think it was 25-35 mph. Anything over 40 mph sustained is crazy.

If say Manhattan and other parts of the city gets winds over 75mph, that makes sadly more likely greater chances for injuries even death from taller bulidings. The mega wind speeds thus can lead to broken and fallen objectives like windows, etc.

While even 100 mph in middle of the ocean hurts no one expect fisherman and those in big boats.

If you have a car or van and own a gas powered chain saw you can make

yourself a lot of money come Monday. Tree branches and trunks will be

scattered all over the place. You can basically name your own price, talking

about cutting only, no removal.

You can imagine how backed up tree service companies are going to be

after the hurricane departs.

I just hope Irene blows north by northeast, eventually fizzing & dying out way up east of New Foundland somewhere.

Last I've heard the Jersey Shore's being cleared out. If I heard right NO southbound traffic on the GSP either starting tonight at 8;pm, or tomorrow at some point, after/past exit 90 something.

If I heard RIGHT, Keansburg's being evacuated, & that's directly across from Wolfe's Pond.

I'd be worried about flooding if I lived at The Tides of Charleston or on/off certain other areas of Arthur Kill Rd. Charleston Depot seems fairly/decently high enough/uphill, like its creepy don't open any fireplaces in it neighbor, Kreischer Mansion, & so SHOULDN'T get flooded. But Charleston Depot & Kreischer Mansion subject to wind &/or lightning damage.

Went to weather.com and put in my zip code where I live in Queens

for the hourly forecast and the top wind speed for Sunday is only

53 mph, from midnight on Sunday-18mph winds up to the max of

53 mph with the average winds of around 35-40 mph for most of the

day, and with the rain ending by around 5-6pm. If that info holds true

this is not a big deal at all(wind speed wise).

Has Irene gone big media attention 'down under?" and thanks brother.:tup::cool:

It's getting some coverage during our news times and bullitins. If our media's trend of covering natural disasters continues at least one channel will go to wall to wall coverage.

That's interesting because the weather channel (weather.com) is predicting a borderline Category 1 Hurricane/Strong Tropical Storm (sustained 70-80 mph winds) for our area. There's even a Hurricane WARNING in place.

I personally think this storm is being underestimated as well as overestimated (mainly the former though).

Just did the same thing... hour by hour wind speeds for my area do not get above 49mph. Consider this, though: Thursday they said the eye would arrive around the JFK area but now it's supposed to make landfall halfway across Long Island.

EDIT: Just read this, and now it makes sense. Since the eye will be well to the east of us, we won't get the strongest winds... but in return we get a lot of rain.

Sadly Irene has claimed her 1st victims. The cable news channels says at least 4 people are dead including a child in Va. Beach area who was killed when a tree fell into his house.

That is awful to hear. This is not only a very large hurricane but a slow

moving one at that. Going to watch this from a safe distance at home

and not stay too close to my windows.

Archived