For the First time, J/Z Ranks No. 1... 2 and C come in dead last

tvega961

i say this city is because for some reason people think they should have a train every second and never have any track work or construction, ive seen people say when they were doing work on the WPR line redoing the tracks, people all mad and saying they didnt know and the MTA didnt say anything or they didnt hear the announcements on the platforms or on the trains, and i know that is more bs than Bush saying we wherent in a recension, its funny i havve a 11yo that can travel on his own on the trains with all kinds of work over the weekends and he gets home fine.

One particular example of empty (;) trains is the beginning of PM Rush Hour. The first (:( trains to and from the Bronx don't reach 145th St until about 4:15 PM. Until then, you have (B) trains arriving, terminating and leaving on the middle track mostly empty while (D) trains leave packed in both directions.

It's the Concourse riders having on consideration of the local (B) train.8/10 the (B) beats the (D) to 145th in the AM rush S/B.Sometimes the (B) beats the (D) to 59th St.

For the PM rush (D)'s are packed up the ass while (B)'s are every 6-9 min I would say and have decent amount of people in cars with space the majority get off 167th and 174th then its pretty damn empty the rest of the way.

i say this city is because for some reason people think they should have a train every second and never have any track work or construction, ive seen people say when they were doing work on the WPR line redoing the tracks, people all mad and saying they didnt know and the MTA didnt say anything or they didnt hear the announcements on the platforms or on the trains, and i know that is more bs than Bush saying we wherent in a recension, its funny i havve a 11yo that can travel on his own on the trains with all kinds of work over the weekends and he gets home fine.

Yeah, well you wanna know something? I check the website too for detours and such and while they put up most of them, they don't always get all of them down and I have complained to them on a number of occasions because it screws up people's commutes unnecessarily and leaves folks stranded in some cases. They are doing better with it, but improvements are certainly still needed.

No one is disputing that construction work must be done on weekends. It's just it, in my opinion at least, construction work is a pretty weak excuse to reduce frequencies.

Especially because, even when that particular line is not undergoing construction, it's still going to have the reduced service.

One particular example of empty (:P trains is the beginning of PM Rush Hour. The first (;) trains to and from the Bronx don't reach 145th St until about 4:15 PM. Until then, you have (;) trains arriving, terminating and leaving on the middle track mostly empty while (D) trains leave packed in both directions.

The (MTA) should really think about starting afternoon service to the Bronx a half hour earlier or so.

The (D) is also packed after 6:50pm from 145 St (the last (B) train at 6:48pm at 145 St). (B) needs to be extended until around 7:30pm at least.

Cutting the (Q) back to 57 St from 10am-3pm and after 9:00pm would be a way to try and make this cost neutral.

The (D) is packed well into the evening, not only for another hour or so. It's just the population of western Bronx is so dense, the (4) has the same issue at 149-GC and both trains at 161. The two services together just isn't enough. And it's a slow emptying that doesn't complete until Fordham for both services.

The (D) is packed well into the evening, not only for another hour or so. It's just the population of western Bronx is so dense, the (4) has the same issue at 149-GC and both trains at 161. The two services together just isn't enough. And it's a slow emptying that doesn't complete until Fordham for both services.

The last 5 (:P trains should also be extended to the Bronx since they have to run there anyway. That would be a low or no cost way to relieve some part of the (D) evening crowding.

The last 5 (:P trains should also be extended to the Bronx since they have to run there anyway. That would be a low or no cost way to relieve some part of the (D) evening crowding.

One can make an argument to let it run up there (to Bedford) the entirety of the PM rush and late evenings (the (D) can be express until 8pm or 830, the extra hour people on here been clamoring for), and just end (:o service outright an hour earlier (about 90 mins earlier southbound). Its not like express service is actually needed along Brighton after 9PM anyways (its just a luxury). This would put the last northbound express leaving Brighton just before 9 (at 9 when express in Brooklyn is restored), reaching Bedford around 1015 as the last train (CPW will still have two locals serving it northbound until about 10, which is still pretty good). Going south, the last train would leave Bedford around 9, putting it at Prospect Park as the last express around 10 (leaving CPW with just the (C) southbound starting around 915). I work the (B) a lot in the evenings going south, I practically don't pick up anybody going south until I reach midtown.

What this solves:

1. The logjam trying to get into 145 middle once the (D) express ends yet rush-hour headway is still coming up.

2. Still get Brighton express service until 9 in both directions (its a similar pattern to the way it was years ago until service was expanded).

3. (D) express service in the Bronx a little later in the evening (about an hour or 90 mins more of it).

4. Frequent service on the Concourse until 10, less crowding on the (D) enabling better OTP.

5. Baseball specials are unaffected, can still head out and sit on the middle track at 9 as is custom.

One can make an argument to let it run up there (to Bedford) the entirety of the PM rush and late evenings (the (D) can be express until 8pm or 830, the extra hour people on here been clamoring for), and just end (B) service outright an hour earlier (about 90 mins earlier southbound). Its not like express service is actually needed along Brighton after 9PM anyways (its just a luxury). This would put the last northbound express leaving Brighton just before 9 (at 9 when express in Brooklyn is restored), reaching Bedford around 1015 as the last train (CPW will still have two locals serving it northbound until about 10, which is still pretty good). Going south, the last train would leave Bedford around 9, putting it at Prospect Park as the last express around 10 (leaving CPW with just the (C) southbound starting around 915). I work the (B) a lot in the evenings going south, I practically don't pick up anybody going south until I reach midtown.

What this solves:

1. The logjam trying to get into 145 middle once the (D) express ends yet rush-hour headway is still coming up.

2. Still get Brighton express service until 9 in both directions (its a similar pattern to the way it was years ago until service was expanded).

3. (D) express service in the Bronx a little later in the evening (about an hour or 90 mins more of it).

4. Frequent service on the Concourse until 10, less crowding on the (D) enabling better OTP.

5. Baseball specials are unaffected, can still head out and sit on the middle track at 9 as is custom.

In that case just have the (D) run express until around 8:45pm or later since the (:( and (D) as currently scheduled would be bunched up. The (B) would become similar to the Bay Parkway (M) service from 2001-2004 where it ran on the West End rush hours and weekday evenings until 9:30pm.

Looks like the Baseball Specials are like the worktrains on the <6> middle track.

Also is the (N) really that crowded middays and late evenings to need the (Q)? Since doomsday Astoria has dual service even later into the evening (after 11pm)?

This is news to me. Where are these timetables at?? :confused: Maybe they need to make them more available and then people could plan better.

Having a whole section called "Schedules" at the top and under every "Getting There" section on the (MTA) website frontpage sounds pretty damn available to me. Also, having Service Changes planned for the next 7 days at multiple locations in every single subway station could also help people "plan better". I don't understand why the (MTA) doesn't do that.

Oh wait...

I wouldn't be surprised if a (2) Bronx thru express is introduced again for the most obvious reason. But local riders in the Bronx will object to that idea.

yeah, but If they do that then they should make simpson st an express stop, cause that is a pretty busy stop.

I hope they make the 2 an express in the bronx. I hate having four 3 trains run by me & finally have a 2 train "crawl" into the station I'm in.

On weekends, fugetaboutit! if a 2 train was in the south bronx & I was at times sq I could walk to brooklyn faster before it could even reach chambers st.

It's the Concourse riders having on consideration of the local (;) train.8/10 the (;) beats the (D) to 145th in the AM rush S/B.Sometimes the (;) beats the (D) to 59th St.

For the PM rush (D)'s are packed up the ass while (B)'s are every 6-9 min I would say and have decent amount of people in cars with space the majority get off 167th and 174th then its pretty damn empty the rest of the way.

As a regular Concourse Express rider since 1999 (and overall Concourse rider since childhood), I can tell you that first statement is generally false. The Concourse Express run, despite its curves and numerous timers, does save time over the local (typically 2.5 - 3 mins running time; of course, when the Yankees are in town and the (D) makes the additional stop at 161 this isn't the case). As for the CPW express run, "controversial" as it is for its susceptibility to congestion, I've often saved time there too (usually 3 - 4.5 mins running time). I remain confident in the CPW Exp, given only a few blemishes out of thousands of rides - blemishes, mind you, that can be corrected by modifying some speed restrictions (i.e. fewer GTs) and/or enabling station time control on the CPW Exp tracks.

You are correct about the PM rush, though I'd say the Delta gets packed far more often than just the PM rush, which brings me to...

The (D) is also packed after 6:50pm from 145 St (the last (B) train at 6:48pm at 145 St). (B) needs to be extended until around 7:30pm at least.

Cutting the (Q) back to 57 St from 10am-3pm and after 9:00pm would be a way to try and make this cost neutral.

...this point. Clearly the MTA has emphasized cost neutrality when bringing up service change proposals; while I don't know about cutting off-peak weekday Astoria service, it's clear that both the Bronx-bound (B) and Concourse Exp (D) need longer operating hours (as we've said countless times before); I agree with you here.

Exactly.

One can make an argument to let it run up there (to Bedford) the entirety of the PM rush and late evenings (the (D) can be express until 8pm or 830, the extra hour people on here been clamoring for), and just end (B) service outright an hour earlier (about 90 mins earlier southbound). Its not like express service is actually needed along Brighton after 9PM anyways (its just a luxury). This would put the last northbound express leaving Brighton just before 9 (at 9 when express in Brooklyn is restored), reaching Bedford around 1015 as the last train (CPW will still have two locals serving it northbound until about 10, which is still pretty good). Going south, the last train would leave Bedford around 9, putting it at Prospect Park as the last express around 10 (leaving CPW with just the (C) southbound starting around 915). I work the (B) a lot in the evenings going south, I practically don't pick up anybody going south until I reach midtown.

What this solves:

Have you contacted any MTA officials or planners regarding this? Methinks this is an excellent idea worth serious consideration.

yeah, but If they do that then they should make simpson st an express stop, cause that is a pretty busy stop.

I hope they make the 2 an express in the bronx. I hate having four 3 trains run by me & finally have a 2 train "crawl" into the station I'm in.

On weekends, fugetaboutit! if a 2 train was in the south bronx & I was at times sq I could walk to brooklyn faster before it could even reach chambers st.

I dont understand why the (MTA) cant improve the (2). for years its been the same exact service pattern which is bad during rush horrible all other times. except for middays when you can get a seat. The (5) used to be just as bad but it seems to run a bit better during the weekdays. Sadly the (5) is better than even the (4).

I think it's because the (A)'s long line has made it friendly to the homeless population, in addition to the constant littering on the line.

"friendly to the homeless population"? Wouldn't a line that stays underground for the entire run be a better line to 'camp out' in than one that goes above ground and subject to the extremes of the weather outside?

"friendly to the homeless population"? Wouldn't a line that stays underground for the entire run be a better line to 'camp out' in than one that goes above ground and subject to the extremes of the weather outside?

Not necessarily. Any lengthy line that doesn't have a non-revenue track relay is usually one a homeless will try.

I dont understand why the (MTA) cant improve the (2). for years its been the same exact service pattern which is bad during rush horrible all other times. except for middays when you can get a seat. The (5) used to be just as bad but it seems to run a bit better during the weekdays. Sadly the (5) is better than even the (4).

How would you improve the (2)? Honestly, this has me stumped. And yes Jessica is impressive on the (5) isn't she? :cool:

Guest lance25
How would you improve the (2)? Honestly, this has me stumped.

By making the (2) the White Plains Rd Exp obviously. Of course, this doesn't do anything except shift the ridership over to the already crowded (5) trains. Also, you'd have more people transferring at 3rd and 149th or 149th and the Concourse because, generally, most local riders want the (2), not the (5).

And yes Jessica is impressive on the (5) isn't she? :cool:

If by impressive, you mean excessively loud, then, yes, she is impressive. You can hear her announcements from the street.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back on topic...

It's true that the newer trains brighten up the line, but I'm less fond of the (J) during the weekends. The waits for the next train takes forever. At Broadway Junction 2/3 weekends ago, I saw the third Bedford Avenue-bound (L) depart Broadway Junction the station before a Manhattan-bound (J) arrived. Then again, I'm not a regular on the (J), so I can't say if this is the usual, but I still find it hard to believe that the (J)(Z) can come out on top given its lack of real express service.

As for the Brooklyn Broadway line as a whole, my friends who live along the local stops hate the line's new service pattern. There's a sizable Asian population in Williamsburg, and most of them heading to Chinatown get the (M) during rush hours (while the (J)(Z) pass by tauntingly), which takes them away from Chinatown and towards midtown.

Archived