The LIRR/MNR Hurricane Recovery Thread

The TransitMan

So as many of you know, Hurricane Irene is on its way up the coast and the L.I.R.R. has already taken steps. I got two e-mails already and here they are:

1st e-mail:

The LIRR is preparing for the impact of Hurricane Irene. We are making

arrangements to bring in extra personnel over the weekend, preparing our

facilities and infrastructure by clearing drains, securing work sites against

possible high winds, checking and fueling equipment, stocking supplies, & making

plans to move equipment and supplies away from low-lying areas as needed.

Because of the severity of the wind and rain associated with a hurricane, there

may be partial or full shut down of our service on all lines and branches to

ensure the safety of our customers and employees.

Customers should check http://www.mta.info frequently and consider the impacts of this

storm when making weekend travel plans.

2nd e-mail:

The LIRR is canceling some Friday afternoon trains to the East End as it

prepares to protect equipment and infrastructure from hurricane force winds and

flooding expected to hit Long Island on Sunday. Also, Hamptons Reserve service

will not be offered this Friday. Customers are advised to consider the impacts

of the storm when making travel plans for this weekend.

I will use this thread to try to update this as conditions are starting to shift on here on "The Hamptons".

Nassau has plenty of spaces people can stay in; the Field House/gym in Building "P" can hold hundreds of people. I'm thinking the hallways underneath and classrooms can also be turned into temporary quarters. There are vending machines all over the place, so if people need a quick snack or drink, they can just get something. I'm still wondering about what they're doing with the Life Sciences building, which is under construction.

(MTA) just updated the LIRR tab... every branch but the WH (as of 3:40 AM) has service changes and shows the last trains leaving or arriving at certain terminals.

West Hempstead's page says something different, as usual cuz service theres already suspended friday night.

http://jonstrainphotos.com/status/?route=West%20Hempstead

Service restoration of the railroads will be very slow.

Workers have to install crossing gates at 295 railroad crossings. The gates were removed prior to the storm to protect them from wind damage.

Metro-North is seriously damaged, with a mudslide and flooded tracks systemwide.

Metro-North is dire:

• The signal system is not fully functioning on any of the three lines.

• Various sections of track along Hudson line have been damaged by mudslides and washouts. One mudslide in the area of Spuyten Duyvil has also undermined a home that is up a steep hill from the track. Another mudslide in the area of Scarborough has damaged 300-feet of third rail.

• There is no signal or third-rail power on the Upper Harlem Line because of downed transmission poles and water-damaged substations.

• The tracks through Tuckahoe station are flooded with up to 4 feet of water as the Bronx River continues to overflow its banks.

• There is significant flooding at stations and parking lots. The underpass at Beacon Station is completely under water as is the North White Plains station parking lot.

• Trees have fallen on the tracks on all three Metro-North lines.

• West of Hudson, the Port Jervis Line has a dozen severe washouts and both the Port Jervis and Pascack Valley lines have numerous trees on the tracks.

I have to seriously wonder if any service will resume on Metro-North before Wednesday. (Related---this also affects Empire Services, the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen, and Lake Shore Limited.)

Even so, I have to give the MTA thumbs up for being able to secure its equipment. But as I see it, it's gonna be a nightmare for the entire week.

excerpt from the MTA

Could the (MTA) at least run 'shuttle' service on the Harlem line between Mt Vernon West and GCT? That way at least riders in most of Westchester can still have access to the 'city.'

On other hand I understand why they cant run the Hudson Line and New Haven/Stamford line(LI Sound) because of ongoing flooding.

It sucks for me personally since i was planning to go to Manhattan this week for errand. Well i guess Coach USA/Shortline from Newburgh maybe my only option for next few days.

Could the (MTA) at least run 'shuttle' service on the Harlem line between Mt Vernon West and GCT? That way at least riders in most of Westchester can still have access to the 'city.'

On other hand I understand why they cant run the Hudson Line and New Haven/Stamford line(LI Sound) because of ongoing flooding.

It sucks for me personally since i was planning to go to Manhattan this week for errand. Well i guess Coach USA/Shortline from Newburgh maybe my only option for next few days.

Depends on how trees are blocking the tracks. But that area is also too close to the overflowing Bronx River.

I never could understand for Mid Hudson Valley and Fairfield/New Haven Counties MNRR riders, why cant the (MTA) make an agreement with regional bus providers to provide 'alternative service'

in situations like this?

For example in Dutchess, arrange for both Coach USA/Shortline to 'cross honor' Hudson Line riders from New Hamburg/Beacon/Cold Spring in Newburgh.

Or from Poughkeepsie station, riders can use NY trailways at either Kingston or New Paltz to get to NYC's PABT.

I agree with Shortline Bus.

Coach USA, Trailways of New York, Greyhound\PeterPan, CT Transit 11/I-Bus, Coastal Link, HART CT, Dutchess County Loop, PART, Bee-Line Bus, Leprechaunt Line and NY Waterway Shuttle Buses should cross honor MNRR tickets.

Also, as I see it, the commuter shuttles (except for to/from White Plains) should be canceled until Metro-North service can resume. Augment service on other routes as possible.

For Metro-North, this is where I feel that the MTA scrapped MCIs way too soon; a reserve fleet for this purpose needed to be established.

Also, as I see it, the commuter shuttles (except for to/from White Plains) should be canceled until Metro-North service can resume. Augment service on other routes as possible.

For Metro-North, this is where I feel that the MTA scrapped MCIs way too soon; a reserve fleet for this purpose needed to be established.

You make good points. The MCI's could be handy not only in this but for shuttle bus service in case GO/Construction also shuts down a portion of a MNRR line.

Back to using the regional buses as a replacement. While of course, even a full size 57/60-seat bus from NY Trailways or Coach USA/Shortline can not replacement a 6-car Gensis Diesel train that runs on for instance the Poughkeepsie branch of the Hudson Line.(about 500-600 people on a full train)

With that said, in this very rare situation, you could at least get a couple of hundred of those displaced riders who must get to NYC to work via the bus. Now other than driving to a bus stop of the regional carriers mentioned above or all the way to the 5 boros no one is going to work on Monday.:eek:

(MTA)Long Island Rail Road

The Long Island Rail Road is restoring near-normal service for Monday morning's rush hour on six of its branches, but customers are advised to expect some cancelations and some trains operating with fewer than normal complement of cars. The AM rush service is being restored to and from:

Babylon

Huntington

Ronkonkoma

Port Washington (half-hourly service west of Great Neck; no service east of Great Neck)

Hempstead

West Hempstead

Service remains suspended to and from:

Oyster Bay

Port Jefferson

Long Beach

Far Rockaway

Montauk (east of Babylon)

Greenport (east of Ronkonkoma)

(MTA)Metro-North Railroad

Metro-North Railroad cannot operate regular service on any of its three lines, on Monday, August 29. There is still significant damage to many portions of the Metro-North system. Local streams and the Bronx River continue to overflow their banks.

For up to the minute details visit http://www.mta.info

An update. Metro North will restore 'limited service' on the Hudson and Harlem line this afternoon 8/29/11. Here notice from MTA website.

Metro-North to Resume A Sunday Schedule on Lower Hudson/Harlem Lines at 2 PM; Some Service Suspensions Remain in Effect

Metro-North will begin operating a Sunday schedule at 2 PM today (Monday, August 29) on the Lower Hudson and Lower Harlem Lines. In the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, Metro-North crews continue to work around-the-clock, assess conditions, clear the tracks and repair the infrastructure.

We will continue to restore as much service as possible once we have determined that it is safe to do so.

The following service will be in effect:

On the Lower Hudson Line, a regular Sunday Schedule will be in effect to and from Croton-Harmon only beginning with the following trains:

Inbound Departures from Croton-Harmon:

2 PM from Croton-Harmon: All stops to Grand Central.

2:34 PM from Croton-Harmon: Limited stop express to Grand Central.

Outbound Departures from Grand Central:

2:20 PM to Croton-Harmon: All stops to Croton-Harmon.

On the Lower Harlem Line a regular Sunday Schedule will be in effect to and from North White Plains only starting with the following trains.

Inbound departures from North White Plains:

2:01 PM: North White Plains & White Plains, then express to Grand Central

2:08 PM : All stops to Grand Central

Outbound Departures from Grand Central:

2:25 PM: All stops from Fordham to North White Plains

2:48 PM: Express to White Plains/North White Plains

Customers may use our interactive schedules page to view all train times.

New Haven Line, Upper Hudson, Upper Harlem and New Canaan, Danbury and Waterbury Branch Line Services remain suspended. There is still no signal and third-rail power because of downed transmission poles, trees continuing to fall and water-damaged substations. Following all repair efforts, patrols trains have to operate to ensure the safety of the tracks before resuming service.

Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Line service remains suspended today. In particular, water continues to flood sections of the Port Jervis Line making it difficult to assess the full impact of the hurricane to critical infrastructure.

Off-Peak fares will be in effect, and Metro-North will honor West-of-Hudson tickets on the Hudson Line

Overnight, hundreds of Metro-North crews addressed several mudslides and washouts along the Hudson Line, removed numerous fallen trees on all three train lines, pumped water out of key locations, restored signal and power systems, repaired and replaced switch motors. The difficulty of these efforts were compounded by the significant road closures in the territory.

We urge customers to monitor media reports for the latest information, check the MTA's website at http://www.mta.info and sign up for customer email and text message alerts.

We regret any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this service disruption due to Hurricane Irene.

Archived