Nova Bus LFS Discussion

East New York

As I remembered from a past web archive from MTA webcasts, It's a diesel-electric hybrid from China (SUN-WIN :cool:) that's coming for a demo next year. As Darryl "himself" said at the March meeting. Would that be right.

More accurately, it's a Nova bus powered with the SunWin electric system. And the SunWin bus is not a hybrid, but a (super-capacitor) fully electric bus. Perhaps someone who has been at APTA could confirm that the Nova prototype is a super-capacitor bus with SunWin innards?

More accurately, it's a Nova bus powered with the SunWin electric system. And the SunWin bus is not a hybrid, but a (super-capacitor) fully electric bus. Perhaps someone who has been at APTA could confirm that the Nova prototype is a super-capacitor bus with SunWin innards?

That is correct, the LFS Electric that was on the floor was the SunWin bus.

I kind of doubt that; the MTA doesn't want to pay more for a hybrid bus.

There will soon be a requirement for more hybrids. MTA is balancing the fleet out, and thus ordering standard diesels as well.

That is correct, the LFS Electric that was on the floor was the SunWin bus.

Yep! and so people don't get confused, the bus shown in the pic I took above is an Allison hybrid. (As see in the first 2 of Trevor's pics)

Good that's I thought. :cool: Thanks

The LFS' are now half way throught their Test & Evaluation phase. It appears as is all is well, and the performance of the buses are very good. The only major issue that I have heard of is the MCC (Carrier) A/C being a little weak. MCC is reportedly working with Nova to make sure this is not an issue next summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After riding the BT&E buses, here's my review on the LFS,

NovaBus LFS 3G

IMG_0193.jpg

Review: 3.7 out of 5

Pros-

- Rather fast, speedy little fellow.

- Performs excellent.

- LED interior lighting...

- Quiet on the outside. Louder on the inside.

Cons-

- Carrier HVAC is really not well suited for these buses, terrible airflow and does not really perform the way a Thermoking does.

- Least amount of seats and standing room, not so spacious.

- Jerky ride and performance

- Same ZF Ecolife transmission used in the 3G.

- Jerks way too hard when braking.

- Jerks too hard when switching gears, and braking.

- Jerks even when the bus is moving slow terrible.

- According to Altoona Bus tests, the LFS 3G only gets 3MPG in a city environment...

- Long Overhang tends to be an issue to some reckless ops who exit 165 Terminal fast and bump the road with the overhang. (thud sound)

- Rear doors tend to close on exiting passengers sometimes

- Seating arrangement not a big deal

Honestly I love the LFS and all, it became a favorite to me and I enjoy riding it. It gets me from point A to point B and it's just so unique. Despite its flaw I love it, it's a great bus.

NovaBus LFS 3G

IMG_0193.jpg

Pros-

- Performs excellent.

Cons-

- Carrier HVAC is really not well suited for these buses, terrible airflow and does not really perform the way a Thermoking does.

- According to Altoona Bus tests, the LFS 3G only gets 3MPG in a city environment...

- Long Overhang tends to be an issue to some reckless ops who exit 165 Terminal fast and bump the road with the overhang. (thud sound)

Honestly I love the LFS and all, it became a favorite to me and I enjoy riding it. It gets me from point A to point B and it's just so unique. Despite its flaw I love it, it's a great bus.

the rear doors closing on people is the bus driver closing the doors...not the bus itself...

NovaBus LFS 3G

Pros-

- Performs excellent.

Cons-

Those Altoona records do not apply to the BTE. None of the MTA BTE buses have been tested at Altoona in their current configurations. The info that you are providing is from 2008. That was an EPA07 model.

Those Altoona records do not apply to the BTE. None of the MTA BTE buses have been tested at Altoona in their current configurations. The info that you are providing is from 2008. That was an EPA07 model.

Oh Ok. That wouldn't stop bothering me because 3 MPG for a NYCB doesn't seem right...

• 1 month later...
On 8071 on the Q27 and its quite cold as the Carrier HVAC system is inoperable at this time.... SMH. This is not a good look for Carrier at all. There seems to be way too many issues with these HVAC systems. :tdown:

Which is why we should've went thermo king....... -__- Turn on the heat and you get cold air.

On 8071 on the Q27 and its quite cold as the Carrier HVAC system is inoperable at this time.... SMH. This is not a good look for Carrier at all. There seems to be way too many issues with these HVAC systems. :tdown:

Would it be possible for the MTA in the future, say during the 4 year overhaul for them to replace carrier with thermo king? How much does an HVAC system cost?

the rear doors closing on people is the bus driver closing the doors...not the bus itself...

No, that means the sensor isn't working, because if there's people in the doorway the door should be remain open even with the operator having the notch to "lock" the back door. If he leaves it open, it allows the back doors to stay open once the handles have been touched by the passengers.

Would it be possible for the MTA in the future, say during the 4 year overhaul for them to replace carrier with thermo king? How much does an HVAC system cost?

I can't remember how much they cost, but the TK's are a little more expensive, and I dont really see the TA shelling out hundreds of thousands to replace them. And that midlife overhaul is at 6 years.

Do you know if the switch was on? Sometimes the drivers just turn the switch off if they are not comfortable with the temperature.

Do you know if the switch was on? Sometimes the drivers just turn the switch off if they are not comfortable with the temperature.

No, it was broke. The driver and I had a very lenghty talk during his layover. He said it wasn't the first time it's happened either. It came on once for about 2 seconds and shut back off. He said it would do that every hour or so.

My LFS ride is alright, but I think the performance is not as good as the XD40s and 3Gs.

LFS Positive:

- Accelerates Fast! (+5)

- Smooth design! (+5)

- Champion on bumps! (+5)

- Interior LED or lights are excellent! (+5)

- Big doors for people to access through bus easier! (+5)

- Interior Floor Design! (+5)

LFS Negative:

- The braking jerks really hard! (-3)

- The seating arrangement makes the seat not spacious! (-2)

- Less seats because the front took lots of space! (-2)

- Bus jerks a lot! (-3)

- Rear doors close on people when they exit! (-2)

- Small bus! (-2)

Total Points (out of 30): 16/30 <-- That's close to half!

I'd say that this bus might not win the BT&E Programs! :tdown:

My LFS ride is alright, but I think the performance is not as good as the XD40s and 3Gs.

LFS Positive:

- Accelerates Fast! (+5)

- Smooth design! (+5)

LFS Negative:

- Bus jerks a lot! (-3)

- Small bus! (-2)

Total Points (out of 30): 16/30 <-- That's close to half!

I'd say that this bus might not win the BT&E Programs! :tdown:

The braking is the drivers fault.

The back i can agree with BUT it saves me the trouble of breaking my neck to talk to someone.

The rear doors are closed by the driver, not by themselves.

It's not small, its the same size as any other 40ft bus.

The braking is the drivers fault.

Yes, but it's the way the LFS goes while stepping on the brake hard!

The back i can agree with BUT it saves me the trouble of breaking my neck to talk to someone.

The back is always narrow! I don't need to worry about the back anyways!

The front of the LFS takes a lot of space! Front door's big, the front window near the windshield takes space too! So it will not carry a lot of passengers.

The rear doors are closed by the driver, not by themselves.

Yes it does, but people can get hurt from the closing the gliding door!

It's not small, its the same size as any other 40ft bus.

The interior is small! The Orion VII 3Gs are much bigger than the LFS! 3Gs can handle tall people like me!

^You should really know how the LFS is designed before posting anything about whose fault it is or not!

Yes, but it's the way the LFS goes while stepping on the brake hard!

The back is always narrow! I don't need to worry about the back anyways!

The front of the LFS takes a lot of space! Front door's big, the front window near the windshield takes space too! So it will not carry a lot of passengers.

Yes it does, but people can get hurt from the closing the gliding door!

The interior is small! The Orion VII 3Gs are much bigger than the LFS! 3Gs can handle tall people like me!

^You should really know how the LFS is designed before posting anything about whose fault it is or not!

Do you know how the LFS is designed? Furthermore, do you know why the bus was designed in such a way? I would be thinking about these questions before telling someone what you just did. And honestly, I think some people here need to get past some of the things they're complaining about here. The MTA didn't buy the test buses to compare how tall they were or how fast the doors are.

LFS Positive:

- Accelerates Fast! (+5)

- Smooth design! (+5)

LFS Negative:

- Bus jerks a lot! (-3)

- Small bus! (-2)

My only gripe with the LFSs is how the back doors open, but pretty much its fine overall.

As far as space goes the rear facing seats in the back section are fine. I've always liked the configuration on the C40s however- two forward-facing rows, one bench seat and the rear bench seats.

• 1 month later...

Archived