Nova Bus LFS Discussion

East New York

Novabus LFS $40,454,918 est.

-60 standard configuration($446,000), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Carrier HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

-15 optional configuration($446,809), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Carrier HVAC, electronic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

-15 optional configuration($453,319), Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

-$40,261,830 for 90 buses.

-$67,240 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$45,000 for tailpipe emission profile testing.

-$80,848 for training

*Delivery Complete

• 8000-8029: Castleton

• 8030-8059: Ulmer Park

• 8060-8089: Queens Village

All I can say is that whenever one pulls up on the (Q46), everyone starts groaning. At the stops, everyone goes "oh no, that bus has no seats on it. It was made for wheelchairs or something. Seems like the B/O's aren't thrilled with them either, from the complaints I have heard them make.

I like the new look and don't mond stranding, but it seems like the (MTA) has yet to convince everyone else in Queens to like them

All I can say is that whenever one pulls up on the (Q46), everyone starts groaning. At the stops, everyone goes "oh no, that bus has no seats on it. It was made for wheelchairs or something. Seems like the B/O's aren't thrilled with them either, from the complaints I have heard them make.

I like the new look and don't mond stranding, but it seems like the (MTA) has yet to convince everyone else in Queens to like them

lol... If you don't mind standing then it isn't a problem. I think the worse thing about those buses is the seats in the back and the lack of AC back there. Just terrible. Other than that it is a fun bus to be on, but it feels small though. The one improvement is more aisle room, but it seems like seats were compromised in the process, so basically since most folks hate standing, it is no surprise that folks in Queens are moaning. I kind of wonder why more artics aren't being used on some Queens lines. It seems like the local buses suffer a lot from crowding.

Well, we'll see if New Flyer XD40's are better for the B/O's but it appears that those same Queens' folk will be complaining. Based on the pics, trevor/kr & acela posted, our XD40's also have 33 seats (same as the Novas).

This past thursday while I was on an LFS on the (Q46) I overheard one of my friends complaining about the seats that face each other to avoid socialization with other people. But at least the new specs have a little more room in between compared to the old specs on Staten Island & Brooklyn (I think).

I have a mixed reaction to these buses, mostly bad. I'll supply a list of pros/cons to make things easier.

Pros:

1. New bus=strong A.C.

2. Wide front doors, so people can board & depart easily. :tup::tup:

3. The back seats that face each other are great for socialization.

Cons:

1. The bus is too small on the inside - I'm 6'4", so this is pretty small to me. :tdown:

2. The back doors are too narrow. :mad:

3. The inside swing doors are dangerous, with the warning sticker that shows what the door does is in a place that no one would take the time to find. That sticker really should be put on the door itself, not everyone can read the words "stand back" (other languages). The visual on the sticker would work better.

4. The back seats that face each other are too close, cramping in to fit is very hard to do. :P

5. This bus seems to give me stomach problems. When the POWER brake is put on, this bus violently jerks down to a stop. Not a great feeling at all. I typed the word power in caps because that's where the majority of the problem lies in. Take us to our destination, don't try to kill us during the ride.

6. This bus is very low to the street, and I feel that sometimes when it hits the wrong bump.

7. Because the A.C. is so strong, I shiver on long trips - I use the (B6) from Ave J to East 108th St, and I had gotten an ear infection from the transition of cold bus to hot outside. :tdown:

8. Because the A.C. is so strong, it also cooks the engine. I was on a (B6) Limited that had the A.C. so strong, that the bus was smoking and the driver nor the passengers smelled the fumes until someone pointed it out to the driver at Utica Av & Av H. :eek:

Yeah, that's enough for me to grade - 1 out of 10 stars - get this bus outta here! NOW! :mad:

Well, we'll see if New Flyer XD40's are better for the B/O's but it appears that those same Queens' folk will be complaining. Based on the pics, trevor/kr & acela posted, our XD40's also have 33 seats (same as the Novas).

Oh goody. Can't wait to hear more complaints. I spoke to a B/O tonight on the Q46 who said all the QV B/O's are jumping to operate the RTS's over the new ones while they can.

Look at the photos VERY carefully. It's actually 35 to be exact. There are 2 more seats in the back (behind the second aisle) that are facing inward of the bus across each other like the XDE40s in Brampton.

Look at the photos VERY carefully. It's actually 35 to be exact. There are 2 more seats in the back (behind the second aisle) that are facing inward of the bus across each other like the XDE40s in Brampton.

Ahh. I see what you are saying. Took me a good minute to notice. Thanks. Unfortunately, people are still going to complain especially those who choose not to sit in the back of the bus.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking over the Altoona test sit eabout the buses they've tested and i found something on the LFS

http://146.186.225.57/buses/354

According to them

"A Fuel Economy Test was run on simulated central business district, arterial, and commuter courses. The results were 2.41 mpg, 2.75 mpg, and 5.20 mpg respectively; with an overall average of 2.97 mpg."

That doesn't sound right....

I have a mixed reaction to these buses, mostly bad. I'll supply a list of pros/cons to make things easier.

Pros:

1. New bus=strong A.C.

2. Wide front doors, so people can board & depart easily. :tup::tup:

3. The back seats that face each other are great for socialization.

Cons:

1. The bus is too small on the inside - I'm 6'4", so this is pretty small to me. :tdown:

2. The back doors are too narrow. :mad:

3. The inside swing doors are dangerous, with the warning sticker that shows what the door does is in a place that no one would take the time to find. That sticker really should be put on the door itself, not everyone can read the words "stand back" (other languages). The visual on the sticker would work better.

4. The back seats that face each other are too close, cramping in to fit is very hard to do. B)

5. This bus seems to give me stomach problems. When the POWER brake is put on, this bus violently jerks down to a stop. Not a great feeling at all. I typed the word power in caps because that's where the majority of the problem lies in. Take us to our destination, don't try to kill us during the ride.

6. This bus is very low to the street, and I feel that sometimes when it hits the wrong bump.

7. Because the A.C. is so strong, I shiver on long trips - I use the (B6) from Ave J to East 108th St, and I had gotten an ear infection from the transition of cold bus to hot outside. :tdown:

8. Because the A.C. is so strong, it also cooks the engine. I was on a (B6) Limited that had the A.C. so strong, that the bus was smoking and the driver nor the passengers smelled the fumes until someone pointed it out to the driver at Utica Av & Av H. :eek:

Yeah, that's enough for me to grade - 1 out of 10 stars - get this bus outta here! NOW! :mad:

LOL!

Did anyone that went to APTA happen to see the Electric Nova Bus? Any comments on it?

I had never even heard about this one.

It's hard to find anything on it, even on the NOVA site that briefly mentions it. What I found was this, which as a picture of it.

http://www.masstransitmag.com/article/10408210/nova-bus-shows-innovation-and-technologies

novaelectric4_10408228.png

Did anyone that went to APTA happen to see the Electric Nova Bus? Any comments on it?

Its quite different, its actually built to MTA specs but with green instead of light blue seats. Very Quiet in operation.

Here is photos from the whole Volvo Group (Nova & Prevost) display...

The Nova Bus LFS HEv Low Floor:

Novabus_Nova_LFSHEVb.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFS-Interior.jpg

The Nova Bus LFS Electric Low Floor:

Novabus_Nova_LFSHEV.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFS-Interiorb.jpg

The Nova Bus LFX Low Floor Articulated:

Novabus_Nova_LFX.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFX-Interior.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFX-Interiorb.jpg

The Prevost X3-45 Commuter Coach:

Prevostcar_Prevost_5102.jpg

Prevostcar_Prevost_X345-Interior.jpg

...One of these will be demoed in New York City soon, can you guess which one?

Its quite different, its actually built to MTA specs but with green instead of light blue seats. Very Quiet in operation.

Here is photos from the whole Volvo Group (Nova & Prevost) display...

The Nova Bus LFS HEv Low Floor:

Novabus_Nova_LFSHEVb.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFS-Interior.jpg

The Nova Bus LFS Electric Low Floor:

Novabus_Nova_LFSHEV.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFS-Interiorb.jpg

The Nova Bus LFX Low Floor Articulated:

Novabus_Nova_LFX.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFX-Interior.jpg

Novabus_Nova_LFX-Interiorb.jpg

The Prevost X3-45 Commuter Coach:

Prevostcar_Prevost_5102.jpg

Prevostcar_Prevost_X345-Interior.jpg

...One of these will be demoed in New York City soon, can you guess which one?

I guess the LFS HEV?

I like the bus a lot. Very quiet. When they cranked that thing up, I could barely hear it. I got video of it that I will post soon as I upload to YT. I also like the Hybrid without the rear window.

2011pics130.jpg

Based on the interiors, I'm guessing we will get the lfs electric low floor next as a demo.

B)

I like the bus a lot. Very quiet. When they cranked that thing up, I could barely hear it. I got video of it that I will post soon as I upload to YT. I also like the Hybrid without the rear window.

2011pics130.jpg

Based on the interiors, I'm guessing we will get the lfs electric low floor next as a demo.

B)

Archived