Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I just received the same letter, asking to report to Livingston Street later this week. It's the same form and process I went through a little over a month ago. Should I call HR?

Nope your first drug test has expired so you have to do the same thing all over again. I had to take 2 drug test before the medical... Most ppl last year had to do it that way

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope your first drug test has expired so you have to do the same thing all over again. I had to take 2 drug test before the medical... Most ppl last year had to do it that way

So I have to re-fill the paper work and hand it in to HR, the urine test, and then go home again and wait for the call? What abot the booklet I was suppose to return once I go thru final processing?

So I have to re-fill the paper work and hand it in to HR, the urine test, and then go home again and wait for the call? What abot the booklet I was suppose to return once I go thru final processing?

Yup unless they changed it up in the past year you just have to do it all again because they didn't have a spot for you in the last class. Just bring it to there attention and maybe you will get lucky but if it's been more then a month that drug test is expired. Hate to give you that bad news but after the 2nd one I got called in like 3 days. Hope the same for you!

Yup unless they changed it up in the past year you just have to do it all again because they didn't have a spot for you in the last class. Just bring it to there attention and maybe you will get lucky but if it's been more then a month that drug test is expired. Hate to give you that bad news but after the 2nd one I got called in like 3 days. Hope the same for you!

Sounds great. Thank you very much.

I saw the pay chart but it seemed a bit confusing. I know the info is there but I couldn't make sense of it. I understand that initial pay is $31.87 per hour. Does it now take 5 years to reach the maximum hourly rate? And what is the progression to that rate?

I believe start pay for a road TO is $31.87, after 261 days of road service. Which is after School Car, pay will be $34.37 per hr.

Man I never though I was gonna get called on this list, just got my medical letter sitting at 36XX.

I'm currently a B/O with 1.5 years and am seriously considering switching over. It says Train Operator (Yard), does that mean all rookies start in the yard or what? Also it says you will work in all boroughs, so there are no guaranteed depots or you get forced just in the beginning?

Good luck everyone.

I saw the pay chart but it seemed a bit confusing. I know the info is there but I couldn't make sense of it. I understand that initial pay is $31.87 per hour. Does it now take 5 years to reach the maximum hourly rate? And what is the progression to that rate?

There are several rates you will encounter.

-When you are hired, you will be hired at Train Operator (Yard) rate.

-Upon satisfactory completion of schoolcar, you will progress to starting Train Operator (Road) rate.

-After 231 road days, you will progress to full Train Operator (Road) pay.

-During January of 2016, you will receive a contractual pay increase of 2% of whatever rate you are earning at that time (and all rates are affected by this). This raise will be reflected in ALL of the payscales, so if you progress from say, yard to road rate after, the road rate will also be higher than what it is now, for you, by 2% once you earn the progression.

The chart explains most of them, however, when you are hired, during orientation, the folks from HR who handle compensation will be present and you can ask them for all of the rates.

Ms. Rivera returned my call this morning, and looked up my information. She put me on hold and returned after some time, stating that she see's my file and there is no need to come in, since my last drug test has been taken last month, and not more than 90 days. I just need to wait for the call.

Originally, on the voicemail she left this morning, she stated "I would have to come in again if it's more than 90 days, and do the drug test if I want to be in the next class on July 27th" :)

Ms Rivera was very helpful, and did not seem annoyed at all. Thank you!

Edited by ErikNYC

I'm at 180 right now waiting to be called. First time here. List number in the first 150. Turned the job down 4 times already. Seems today is just the drug test and then come back with the new package another day. Lot of people here but for all different titles

I'm at 180 right now waiting to be called. First time here. List number in the first 150. Turned the job down 4 times already. Seems today is just the drug test and then come back with the new package another day. Lot of people here but for all different titles

Yup, you come back with the new package when they call you in for final processing.

Good to know.  So they keep the initial employment packet when you go in for the drug test, than give you a more detailed questionnaire to bring back when you're called in for final processing?

Correct.

I received a call this afternoon from another person, the lady told me to ignore the notice. She also stated that she will be calling me soon. :)

Edited by ErikNYC

Ms. Rivera returned my call this morning, and looked up my information. She put me on hold and returned after some time, stating that she see's my file and there is no need to come in, since my last drug test has been taken last month, and not more than 90 days. I just need to wait for the call.

Originally, on the voicemail she left this morning, she stated "I would have to come in again if it's more than 90 days, and do the drug test if I want to be in the next class on July 27th" :)

Ms Rivera was very helpful, and did not seem annoyed at all. Thank you!

Sounds great man I wish I would have done that. Welcome to the club. It's a great job if you do what you need to do. I have a month left until my first year is in the books and it has been great. It's a lot to learn but if you work hard you will get the job with no problem. You past the first part not you just have to KEEP the job. Also just like with this forum don't be afraid to ask questions. Shoot you can ask me too if I don't know I'm sure I can find out for you. Again welcome to the team!

Sounds great man I wish I would have done that. Welcome to the club. It's a great job if you do what you need to do. I have a month left until my first year is in the books and it has been great. It's a lot to learn but if you work hard you will get the job with no problem. You past the first part not you just have to KEEP the job. Also just like with this forum don't be afraid to ask questions. Shoot you can ask me too if I don't know I'm sure I can find out for you. Again welcome to the team!

Thanks a lot. I will definitely ask away when the time comes. However, I'm not satisfied until go thru final processing lol. My friend is a TSS, he's been working for MTA for twenty years. We just came back from diving in Florida last weekend, and I been questioning him over and over as far as benefits, time off and promotion etc.

Patients is a virtue indeed!

Hey congratulations MTA Hopeful Mat. I've seen you post on the forum and You've been waiting forever, dude. You already know school car ain't no joke. Your going to be stressed out worrying about the do or die signal tests, as my whole class was. Unfortunately you got to take it twice. Also, the quizzes, and practicals you get 2 shots at the practicals. Quizzes you have to pass most of them. Midterm and final you must pass or you have to take the retest, No multiple choice. This is not a program where everyone makes it. Trust me, they are serious about 100% on the signal test and the practicals. You will be shown the door. You can do it . You have to study. Good luck, Your gonna love the job though.

By the way MTA Hopeful Mat,I have a friend waiting to be called and he is 377X. could you please tell me are you I the high -mid - low 37XX.

Did your friend receive anything yet?

As much as i want everyone to be called, it bothers me that i had a one and done signal exam & no second chance. Regardless I'm on the road now so it's refresher courses from now on. Congrats to everyone coming in. It really is a great job.

WestEndMan,

The signal test is still one and done. If you get a question wrong that's your job. The second signal test was added because students left school car to the YX program and some at Road Posting had incidents regarding signals while operating equipment. This second signal test is given after Yard Posting is completed in about 2 months. Also, there is now a signal practical given the same day as your first signal exam. The practical will consist of students being able to execute a Call-On and Key By a red automatic. Several TSS have informed current students this is because students that came before the current crop stated they never were instructed how to operate equipment when coming across those signals. If anything students now have two more occurrences where they can potentially lose their jobs. The signal practical and the second signal exam. To summarize that the new students have it easier is actually NOT the case. Stay well.

Excuse the caps on "NOT" that was Swype on my phone. That wasn't my intention. Stay well.