Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I didnt have hope after i got my scores years ago and realized they would never get to my list number but after hearing last called was 7207 thats really close to my number and after patiently waiting for a new exam to do better on maybe i can dig up my hopes i buried on making this exam lol figures crossed

I hope you get in man. I have alot of respect for people who posted here years ago talking about what number they are and many of you made it and even passed school car. Its a dream come true.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so...when you mean train operators are on like a probationary period until they retire you mean like the job is that hard? I've worked long hours. I used to drive limo for 10 to 12 hrs a day. Or perhaps there's so many things that can get you terminated? I understand all that. Safety is the only option. Is there alot of train operators leaving because the job is so unstable? Missing stops maybe or an over run?

Stop listening to the masses, those people say everything negative and nothing positive. Sine you are a limo driver you understand what safety sensitive mean, and how important it is. There are plenty of TO working everyday keeping their jobs. People are not being fired all day everyday. People like you and I, or even worst, working making a living as a TO. If you are a slacker, than eventually it will all catch up to you There are plenty of conductors wishing to one day be a TO, and some who do not, at least they have a choice... Me im all about promotions and not holding yourself back in life. Don't treat the trains like a race car, and follow the rules. Like driving a limo, you must operate much differently than operating you personal vehicle. Once you past probation, you operation skills will be that much better, and you will be proud to have past probation...

@eriknyc, did your classmate fail the practical and then got put back on the list? Was it the same list he/she originally came from? I'm hoping the rumors that list 8098 is being extended and I can get back on board quickly

Start the process and you can possibly be back in by summer. My classmate who fail the practical was back in about three to four months.

Edited by ErikNYC

Stop listening to the masses, those people say everything negative and nothing positive. Sine you are a limo driver you understand what safety sensitive mean, and how important it is. There are plenty of TO working everyday keeping their jobs. People are not being fired all day everyday. People like you and I, or even worst, working making a living as a TO. If you are a slacker, than eventually it will all catch up to you There are plenty of conductors wishing to one day be a TO, and some who do not, at least they have a choice... Me im all about promotions and not holding yourself back in life. Don't treat the trains like a race car, and follow the rules. Like driving a limo, you must operate much differently than operating you personal vehicle. Once you past probation, you operation skills will be that much better, and you will be proud to have past probation...

Yes sir, thanks for clearing up things. And congrats man on being a TO. I'm looking forward to this challenge. Time and patience is all we have.

Although I passed school car, and have one final test to pass, which is probation. It's not easy, but its not hard as well. it's just another challenge, that becomes easier day after day. while learning and operating on different lines. We still make mistakes, but we try and keep it to a minimum. MTA knows we are on probation, and will make mistakes, just keep it to a minimum and don't make the "big" mistakes.

This thread has been an invaluable amount of info. It's interesting to see people who "started at the bottom" to now having years in. Congrats to all of you that made it to permanent and seniority status!

I go in on Thursday for the preliminary stuff. Not expecting anything major out of it. Just happy to get the ball rolling. My number is 69**. What has me concerned is that "the last eligible appointed" is 5399. Not sure what that means but it can't be good. LOL!

Good luck to all those going in Thursday and going forward!

This thread has been an invaluable amount of info. It's interesting to see people who "started at the bottom" to now having years in. Congrats to all of you that made it to permanent and seniority status!

I go in on Thursday for the preliminary stuff. Not expecting anything major out of it. Just happy to get the ball rolling. My number is 69**. What has me concerned is that "the last eligible appointed" is 5399. Not sure what that means but it can't be good. LOL!

Good luck to all those going in Thursday and going forward!

I've studied this particular list. I'm very happy you got in btw. About 11000 people took the exam. Many people moved or couldn't wait or changed adresses. I know someone personally who told me yesterday that he waited about 15 months from applying to being sworn in.

The key to this process is the civil exam. Learn nyc landmarks and brush up on reading comprehension and learn good customer service skills. He said the new civil service exams sometimes within the questions it has the answers.

For example : where is citi-field located in queens: a)brooklyn b)new york city c) queens d) bronx

That's the kind of questions and ofcourse more challenging questions too.

For the signal exam make flash cards and study those he said.

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone has any info re reinstatement? Specifically, I understand there is a right to request reinstatement if you fail out of school car, or quit school car.

But are they actually reinstating anyone at this time?

I failed out of school car and me and some colleagues in the same position requested reinstatement but were denied.

A friend of mine quit school car and they agreed to reinstate him, but haven't called him back in 3 months, and now say he needs to request reinstatement (in writing) again, in order to be considered for reinstatement.

What happened happened, and I know Transit has discretion to choose if they'll take people who are reinstated, or who request reinstatement.

My question is whether Transit hiring policies have changed recently.

One last question - does anyone known why the open-competitive T/O exam was postponed? Do you expect them to do another open-competitive, or just hire from promotional exams?

Thanks.

I've studied this particular list. I'm very happy you got in btw. About 11000 people took the exam. Many people moved or couldn't wait or changed adresses. I know someone personally who told me yesterday that he waited about 15 months from applying to being sworn in.

The key to this process is the civil exam. Learn nyc landmarks and brush up on reading comprehension and learn good customer service skills. He said the new civil service exams sometimes within the questions it has the answers.

For example : where is citi-field located in queens: a)brooklyn b)new york city c) queens d) bronx

That's the kind of questions and ofcourse more challenging questions too.

For the signal exam make flash cards and study those he said.

Thanks Moody. Still waiting to hear back from them for the next step. Only a week now, but it took 7 years to get this far. I'm patient.

I'm WAY too familiar with NYC. More than I care to be at this point. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about reinstatement as well. I went in for drug test back in January and finally got called for final processing in the beginning of April. It was really bad timing so I turned it down and I emailed Mrs Vargas and she said I needed to ask in writing to be reinstated. My question is, how long does that take and is it likely they will accept me back onto the list? Hopefully it won't take too long, I know the list is expiring soon. Thanks.

Good news to those waiting to be reinstated or called for that matter. This list has been extended another yr. It will terminate on Sept 19, 2017 now.

I have a question about reinstatement as well. I went in for drug test back in January and finally got called for final processing in the beginning of April. It was really bad timing so I turned it down and I emailed Mrs Vargas and she said I needed to ask in writing to be reinstated. My question is, how long does that take and is it likely they will accept me back onto the list? Hopefully it won't take too long, I know the list is expiring soon. Thanks.

List extended another yr. Don't worry. You have until Sept 19, 2017.

Hey guys quick question about shifts? How many years does it take to get a steady shift? Do they give you a number of minimum hours in between shifts? And is it the same for conductors too?

All employees that start off in Transit have no seniority "time vested". Like with Transit & other agencies you are like a floater in the beginning. With Transit you will be @ the mercy of the Crew Office. Who knows for how? With more people getting promoted & retiring you will have your turn when you get to pick.

Yea figured that. When i went for drug test in january not sure of her name but the young lady who takes us upstairs and give us a brief understanding of the jobbthe division etc she said train operator would be extended. Also that explains why the june exam has been postponed

Does anyone know of anyone who has recently been reinstated and actually offered a place in a school car class? I'll submit my reinstatement request again soon (first request was denied), since the list was extended another year. Is DCAS/Transit actually bringing back people who failed school car?

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear they extended the list. I emailed Mrs. Vargas and all she said was to request to be reinstated, give my list # and phone number. I didn't know it actually has to be approved. Was I supposed to write my reasoning for turning it down in the first place and try to convince them to reinstate me? My email was very simple so I hope they don't deny it.

One more question, can I live outside of the City and work for them? I read you HAVE TO live in the city unless you get permission. Are they strict about it? Thanks! GL to everyone waiting!

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear they extended the list. I emailed Mrs. Vargas and all she said was to request to be reinstated, give my list # and phone number. I didn't know it actually has to be approved. Was I supposed to write my reasoning for turning it down in the first place and try to convince them to reinstate me? My email was very simple so I hope they don't deny it.

One more question, can I live outside of the City and work for them? I read you HAVE TO live in the city unless you get permission. Are they strict about it? Thanks! GL to everyone waiting!

Certain civil service titles do have city residency requirements, fortunately, Train Operator isn't one of them. Just be mindful that if you're providing your own transportation to work and you're late, you're on your own. If you live far away in other states like NJ, CT and PA, this might make it tough. Transit only validates lateness if you use the subway system. Edited by Y2Julio

@Bx316,

Yes, you can absolutely work any job in Transit, PD, FD, teaching (DoE), Sanitation, most titles in most departments and not live in NYC. There is a specific exemption for Transit employees. The only people for whom residency requirements still apply are mostly white collar (lawyer/analyst/secretary) and political jobs at a few of the other City agencies (like Law Dept.). You can still request a waiver of the residency requirement in those cases, but they don't have to grant it.

Re reinstatement, there just seems to be a lot of unwritten rules and contradictory information. I had submitted a written request for reinstatement directly to Transit, per their request, but DCAS indicated I was off the list. I then wrote to DCAS and they denied my reinstatement request, without explanation.

DCAS maintains the list, I guess, and Transit can only hire people who are on the list. I'm not sure exactly what decisions are made by Transit vs DCAS as to who gets on the list.

Wow thanks guys. Excellent to hear I don't have to live in the City. Currently in PA but hoping to move to Jersey if all goes well.

I will post if I get a call back and find out more about being reinstated. Really sucks that the Timing was off for me, but I really hope to be reinstated.

Wow thanks guys. Excellent to hear I don't have to live in the City. Currently in PA but hoping to move to Jersey if all goes well.

I will post if I get a call back and find out more about being reinstated. Really sucks that the Timing was off for me, but I really hope to be reinstated.

Send DCAS on a sheet of paper your

-Name

-Social Security #

-Job title & exam #

-List #

-And reason why you couldn't make appointment & that you will like to be reinstated.

You can either fax it or bring it over in person to make sure that they actually received it. Being that you are in PA, try & fax it over first. Here is their fax # 1-212-669-2453. Good luck!!!

Thank you. I just called actually. She remembered me and said she is finishing up filling school car with the list she currently has and once she is done with that she will be able to add me to the next one. Not sure exactly how it works but I think I'll be fine. Pretty sure they fill classes a couple months at a time. I'll probably have to wait until at least the fall. We'll see!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just be patient bx316. This job is definitely worth the wait. I'm currently going through schoolcar so if you have any questions when you start feel free to ask.

Thanks man. The only thing I'm most nervous about is moving back into the City for this job and then either hating it, or failing out of school car. Got wife and kids.. The job I have now pays almost the same but no good retirement benefits and health coverage isn't as good. Can you tell me some of the best things you're liking about it so far? You say its definitely worth it and i'm looking for some positive info. 

@bx316, the good news for you is that you don't have to move into the city for this job. Like teachers, cop, firemen, etc., Transit workers have an exemption from the NYC residency requirement. Just be truthful about where you live and make sure you can be at work on time. Transit doesn't care if you live in Suffolk County or Rockland or NJ or the Poconos, but they expect you to be early for work every day, even if your report time is before the first bus or commuter train in the morning will get you to your job site location. You'll get a free ride on subways, NYC local buses and Metro North or LIRR if you live in those areas, but you may have to drive to work anyway if the schedules don't make sense.

Re your old job, see if there's a way to take a level of absence if at all possible. That way, should you fail school car or decide this job isn't for you, you can go back.

I'd encourage you to take the chance, give it all you've got, and see what happens.

Well for me this job is worth the wait because as a train operator you don't have to deal with the public. I am a former bus operator so from my perspective train operator is one of the best jobs out there. All you have to worry about is operating your train safely. Everything else is the conductors responsibility.