Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an effort to provide a ray of light to those still (patiently) waiting, I offer this:

According to a high-ranking RTO person, the hiring projections for 2014 are robust, to say the least.

This person stated a hiring rate of 40 T/Os per month, for the duration of 2014. If that holds up, thats another 400+ positions to be filled. In addition, they plan to hire 60 C/Rs per month through June 2014. After that, another 30 C/Rs per month for the remainder of the year.

Keep in mind that from the eligible list, there are many candidates who: don't respond to the offer/are no longer interested, fail the background check, fail the drug test, and/or fail medical exam. If you get that initial letter, you are in good shape, provided: you aren't a convicted murderer or rapist, you come clean about any other convictions you may have, you can pass a simple urinalysis, and you are in decent health. [With that said, its not uncommon to catch a "medical hold" anyway. The hold can usually be cleared with a letter of some sort from your own physician. Its a pain in the ass-- but it can be overcome. Make sure to do it quickly.]

Other advice I can offer: Keep your appointments, and arrive to 180 Livingston early, and with all of the required documentation, filled out correctly. They are sticklers for paperwork. "Accounting for periods of unemployment" means exactly that; what did you do while you were out of work? Its not a trick question. Perhaps you lived with family members, collected unemployment, lived off savings, went to college, etc. Fill it out completely!

Best of luck. We've all pretty much been where you are.

Edited by BrianRichards

Hey BR. Thanks for the info. It's nice to see that even though you have already been through the process and are well on your way you found time to come back and provide some hope to a lot of us out there. You too Yoshi. Thx for info. Good luck to you guys and to all those waiting like me. #2100's

Good luck! Are you closer to 1900 or 2000 if you don't mind me asking? My list number range is 2000-2020. I'm just trying to gauge when I should expect that call.

I forgot to say thank you for responding. I hope that everything went well yesterday! @jromanva

Edited by BkBound

No problem BkBound, and thanks! @Trainman, it didn't go actually.  They told all the T/O's that were there (at least 100) for medical that we were all actually there for a 2nd drug test, which I had specifically asked when they called me. According to most they were advised it was for medical also.  There were applicants there who had taken the d/t from Oct -Dec, and even a few promo applicants so I really can't guess how soon I will actually be called.  I guess people who had requested to be taken off are asking to get back on about this time.  I'm patient, I've waited this long so I can wait a little longer and I really need this.  (I had practically written my resignation notice though LOL)!

There are some people who took both 8094 and 8098 and got called for 8094 as far back as 2 years ago and is finally getting the call for 8098. Now that not considered a promotion if they the OC for both tests.

Those people are treated exactly the same as promotional employees. This is a common misconception that needs to be cleared up. Just because you don't take a "promotional" exam does not mean you need to resign your current position with MTA to accept a new one in a different title from an open competitive list. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING that says the word "resignation" on it! I will explain why below after the details:

Assuming you already work for NYCT* - You ONLY have to sign paperwork deferring your start date in the new title until the date you being training for your new position.

*If you are changing agencies (IE from LIRR to NYCT, this does not apply to you as depending on which agencies and unions are involved, different combinations can take place.)

-Your pension stays exactly the same, and your service time is continuous. Your pass number will not change (unless you are changing agencies, but if that's the case, I already said this doesn't apply to you).

-Your vacation, sick time, personal balances (AVA, OTO, PLD, Birthday), benefits, and payroll deductions carry over without interruption. However, any future vacation dates you have picked in your old title will be CANCELLED (as you are now in a new title), and the vacation time will remain in your bank. You will have to deal with your training unit and the pick section to reschedule, if that is possible (you are not allowed to miss training). If your vacation cannot be rescheduled, you will be paid for it up to one week.

It is basically a promotion, but you must state that you came from the O/C test, O/C list, and make sure you properly fill out all the sections of the paperwork once you're brought back to 180 that deal with "have you/do you currently work for NYC Transit"

In other words, if a C/R takes an O/C exam to become a T/O, and decides they don't like it, they can go back to C/R within 12 months without penalty...see 9B. They will get their old seniority back, have continuous service, and be awarded any raises they would have received staying as a C/R the whole time when they go back. This is why it's critical that anyone doing it this way FILLS OUT THE PAPERWORK correctly at 180 Livingston. If you already work here, you do not forego this right just because you're coming off an O/C list...see 9B:

hst9tt.jpg

Edited by SubwayGuy

Those people are treated exactly the same as promotional employees. This is a common misconception that needs to be cleared up. Just because you don't take a "promotional" exam does not mean you need to resign your current position with MTA to accept a new one in a different title from an open competitive list. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING that says the word "resignation" on it! I will explain why below after the details:

Assuming you already work for NYCT* - You ONLY have to sign paperwork deferring your start date in the new title until the date you being training for your new position.

*If you are changing agencies (IE from LIRR to NYCT, this does not apply to you as depending on which agencies and unions are involved, different combinations can take place.)

-Your pension stays exactly the same, and your service time is continuous. Your pass number wiull not change (unless you are changing agencies, but if that's the case, I already said this doesn't apply to you).

-Your vacation, sick time, personal balances (AVA, OTO, PLD, Birthday), benefits, and payroll deductions carry over without interruption. However, any future vacation dates you have picked in your old title will be CANCELLED (as you are now in a new title), and the vacation time will remain in your bank. You will have to deal with your training unit and the pick section to reschedule, if that is possible (you are not allowed to miss training). If your vacation cannot be rescheduled, you will be paid for it up to one week.

It is basically a promotion, but you must state that you came from the O/C test, O/C list, and make sure you properly fill out all the sections of the paperwork once you're brought back to 180 that deal with "have you/do you currently work for NYC Transit"

In other words, if a C/R takes an O/C exam to become a T/O, and decides they don't like it, they can go back to C/R within 12 months without penalty...see 9B. They will get their old seniority back, have continuous service, and be awarded any raises they would have received staying as a C/R the whole time when they go back. This is why it's critical that anyone doing it this way FILLS OUT THE PAPERWORK correctly at 180 Livingston. If you already work here, you do not forego this right just because you're coming off an O/C list...see 9B:

hst9tt.jpg

-Your pension stays exactly the same, and your service time is continuous. Your pass number will not change (unless you are changing agencies, but if that's the case, I already said this doesn't apply to you).

hst9tt.jpg

Drug test or medical exam??

This is the first letter I've received to go to 180 Livingston from reading the forum the first letter is the drug test. The letter states " pre interview and medical examination which will include basic audiometric (hearing test). They also sent me documents to fill out.

This is the first letter I've received to go to 180 Livingston from reading the forum the first letter is the drug test. The letter states " pre interview and medical examination which will include basic audiometric (hearing test). They also sent me documents to fill out.

I hope u get it. Good luck!!!

I hope u get it. Good luck!!!

Thanks Trainman it was nice to say "I hope u get it". I have a great employment history, and background with no arrest record. As far as I know I'm in good sight, hearing and overall health. I'm really looking forward to this job if it comes through. I never had a job that I really, really wanted this bad. I'll keep my fingers crossed and will be praying for this one though. However, not going to get my hopes too high because I have to prepare myself for potential disappointment because I hear they are really nit picky and who know what they will do.

Yes. It's been about 5 weeks since the first one I took. I imagine they have to be nearing the 2000's and my original DT will expire b4 they reach my number. So it's a waiting game again. Everything I have read I'm betting on an April class. I have gone back previous pages and it seems that the pattern is a hundred names a month. Go SeaHawks!!

Yes. It's been about 5 weeks since the first one I took. I imagine they have to be nearing the 2000's and my original DT will expire b4 they reach my number. So it's a waiting game again. Everything I have read I'm betting on an April class. I have gone back previous pages and it seems that the pattern is a hundred names a month. Go SeaHawks!!

I hear u. It sounds bout rite. Wish u luck. Keep us posted on status. GO BRONCOS!!!

just to clarify.  I got a pre-medical letter a couple of weeks ago to go down to 180 Livingston on Wednesday the 5th of February.  this is the same letter that I received back a couple of months ago; or at least should have received.  IN MY case the original letter was dated Nov. 12 to go down to 180 Livingston on Nov 22, because of an issue with the postal service I did not get the letter until mid Dec.  I went down to 180 Livingston on Dec 22 and got my DT done.  So no problem there.  from what I have read the DT is good for 90 days.  so that is why I imagine that I have received the second letter to go and take another DT seeing that my 90 days will be expiring if they go by the original date that I would have taken my first DT.  I don't pretend to know exactly but from everything I have read this seems to be the case.  LETTER is for DT  CALL is for final processing.  Hope this helps  GL to all.  oh yeah any body in the 2000's get a call yet.

Just got the letter in the mail today to go down next week for DT list number is between 2425 and 2450. Now my question is since I have the appointment for the DT for the conductor this friday (less than a week apart) obviously I would rather do this should I just report to both?

I probably will but when the time comes for appointment since both are really close together I would rather take this than the conductor position. How would that work?

Oh also I noticed my letter said for train operator (yard) is this what everyone says on their letters or is this something like the open position I would be going for is to drive the trains in the railyard or whatever?

Edited by NYTech2000

Received my letter today for 180 Livingston St. Feb 12 list # 240x). Didn't expect to be called until May @ the earliest. Nice to know the list is moving along. My delima is do I give up 20 years of the Post Office for an obviously better job.