Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Just got the letter in the mail today to go down next week for DT list number is between 2425 and 2450. Now my question is since I have the appointment for the DT for the conductor this friday (less than a week apart) obviously I would rather do this should I just report to both?

I probably will but when the time comes for appointment since both are really close together I would rather take this than the conductor position. How would that work?

Oh also I noticed my letter said for train operator (yard) is this what everyone says on their letters or is this something like the open position I would be going for is to drive the trains in the railyard or whatever?

When you report this Friday bring both letters!

Even though Friday's appointment is for Conductor and you'd rather take the Train Operator position they may still allow you to take the drug test for Train Operator if you explain that's the one you'd prefer to take. Also getting that done and getting the call back for the physical in a week could be the difference between getting into the 2/24 class as opposed to the March class. Everything still will be based on list number order but if you are still within that order then you might as well squeeze your way into the 2/24 class just in case some people who are ahead of you don't respond to their letters.

All letters state Yard. That's how they know to pay you at the entry rate for the position. Honestly it has nothing to do with the yards.

Received my letter today for 180 Livingston St. Feb 12 list # 240x). Didn't expect to be called until May @ the earliest. Nice to know the list is moving along. My delima is do I give up 20 years of the Post Office for an obviously better job.

That's a tough one. See that depends on what type of pension or retirement fund you are working with at the Post Office and your current age.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Friday's appointment is for Conductor and you'd rather take the Train Operator position they may still allow you to take the drug test for Train Operator if you explain that's the one you'd prefer to take. Also getting that done and getting the call back for the physical in a week could be the difference between getting into the 2/24 class as opposed to the March class. Everything still will be based on list number order but if you are still within that order then you might as well squeeze your way into the 2/24 class just in case some people who are ahead of you don't respond to their letters.

All letters state Yard. That's how they know to pay you at the entry rate for the position. Honestly it has nothing to do with the yards.

That's a tough one. See that depends on what type of pension or retirement fund you are working with at the Post Office and your current age.

If you're in FERS then transit has a better pension. Roll over any 401k plan that you may have. As a train operator you start at a little over 30.00 per hour. So unless you're a supervisor its a no Brainer. Edited by Postal 1

Received my letter today for 180 Livingston St. Feb 12 list # 240x). Didn't expect to be called until May @ the earliest. Nice to know the list is moving along. My delima is do I give up 20 years of the Post Office for an obviously better job.

Unless you are a supervisor its a no brainer. Was it for a Drug Test or Final medical?

That would be ideal you think they would work it out that way though and allow that? Also, does the process go by that fast after the drug test? I am seeing people post after a few months about going down for a second drug test and still waiting before anything.

What everyone needs to understand about the long waits after taking the drug test is that you're running into vacation periods. In school car a lot of personnel responsible for training new hires go on vacation during the Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Year's holidays and also during midsummer. Hence why the class sizes are usually smaller during the mentioned times of the year. So if there's no room for you in a small class you wait until the next class and next available instructors.

Right now with things revving back up again expect a week or slightly longer between drug test and phone call for medical.

In your case NYTech2000 there is a chance and there's no shame in giving it a shot.

Whats going on everyone? Just wanted to thank you all for keeping me in the loop of whats going on.  I got my letter to report on 2/10 for the drug test.  List# 2270-3000.  Just thought I would post as well to keep any new comers in the loop as well.  My fingers are crossed hoping everything goes well and I can get this opportunity.  This would definitely be a life changer for me.  Good luck to everyone else waiting for letters, I'm hoping this continues to move at swift pace.  Thanks again to everyone who posts to this topic.  Appreciated.  

QUESTION?  What is a realistic time frame from DT to Starting?  Im just trying to get a ballpark figure here.  I know everyones situation is different.  Im just wondering if it would be weeks? Months? or maybe 1 year from now.  Im so anxious and eager to start! LOL 

QUESTION?  What is a realistic time frame from DT to Starting?  Im just trying to get a ballpark figure here.  I know everyones situation is different.  Im just wondering if it would be weeks? Months? or maybe 1 year from now.  Im so anxious and eager to start! LOL 

^^ You just answered your own question.

OK I went down for my drug test today. They let me do both of them at once since I was scheduled for the C/O today and Wednesday will be the O/P. Ms. Shivers made the call, apparently enough people on this forum recognize her name and tell her about here. I felt bad she has been trying to find this forum I forgot the URL offhand when she asked but it looks like she wanted to join here lol.

Speaking of which she suggested since I am on both lists and the conductor will call months before the operator will that I should take the conductor when they call, then when they call for the operator postpone my name on that list till I get my 1 year probation in for the conductor then reestablish my name on the operator list and take that position. This way I set myself up for if something goes wrong godforbid I have a position to fall back to rather than be out completely otherwise. Makes sense but how would that work anyway?

I am guessing that would put me on another years probation as well as schoolcar again (for the new position) and probably an extra year before getting top pay. Do they fire you for the conductor so you can take the operator position or just let you transfer or what since it is coming in from the open competitive list? That wouldn't make much sense though since if it is a fire and rehire then technically I wouldn't have an old position to fall back on (unlike a promotion). Oh and Ms. Shivers says that the last hired is 1919 on the train conductor list and 1886 for the train operator list as of today.

Also, yeah now that both lists changed their starting pay what is the top pay on both? Actually what is the scale for raises now on both? I know this is the 8098 thread but still asking about both includes it so it should be ok I think.

Just to try to be helpful myself where I can... Mard as a guess I would say you will probably be called at the end of the year or beginning next year based on your list number, the current list number hired, the projected hiring rate of 40 a month on this list from what I read on these forums and a little math. Don't quote me on that though since SubwayGuy is actually more accurate and knows what he is talking about and went through this all already but it's probably the best ballpark figure you can get for right now at least. Allday I heard it is probably a little over $35/hr top pay since the original top pay is $31.87 and since the 1.11 percent payraise after the last union agreement it would bring it up to $35.3757 but by going on that math the starting rates were slightly off so I would expect these to be as well.

Edited by NYTech2000

OK I went down for my drug test today. They let me do both of them at once since I was scheduled for the C/O today and Wednesday will be the O/P. Ms. Shivers made the call, apparently enough people on this forum recognize her name and tell her about here. I felt bad she has been trying to find this forum I forgot the URL offhand when she asked but it looks like she wanted to join here lol.

Speaking of which she suggested since I am on both lists and the conductor will call months before the operator will that I should take the conductor when they call, then when they call for the operator postpone my name on that list till I get my 1 year probation in for the conductor then reestablish my name on the operator list and take that position. This way I set myself up for if something goes wrong godforbid I have a position to fall back to rather than be out completely otherwise. Makes sense but how would that work anyway?

I am guessing that would put me on another years probation as well as schoolcar again (for the new position) and probably an extra year before getting top pay. Do they fire you for the conductor so you can take the operator position or just let you transfer or what since it is coming in from the open competitive list? That wouldn't make much sense though since if it is a fire and rehire then technically I wouldn't have an old position to fall back on (unlike a promotion). Oh and Ms. Shivers says that the last hired is 1919 on the train conductor list and 1886 for the train operator list as of today.

Also, yeah now that both lists changed their starting pay what is the top pay on both? Actually what is the scale for raises now on both? I know this is the 8098 thread but still asking about both includes it so it should be ok I think.

Just to try to be helpful myself where I can... Mard as a guess I would say you will probably be called at the end of the year or beginning next year based on your list number, the current list number hired, the projected hiring rate of 40 a month on this list from what I read on these forums and a little math. Don't quote me on that though since SubwayGuy is actually more accurate and knows what he is talking about and went through this all already but it's probably the best ballpark figure you can get for right now at least. Allday I heard it is probably a little over $35/hr top pay since the original top pay is $31.87 and since the 1.11 percent payraise after the last union agreement it would bring it up to $35.3757 but by going on that math the starting rates were slightly off so I would expect these to be as well.

Should that be the route you go this would apply to you:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/31046-train-operator-exam-8098-dcas-notice-of-result-letter-arrived/page-296?do=findComment&comment=748414

do you need to have a copy of your HS Diploma?  Not sure if this Question was asked already???????

I think they want the original and not a copy. They will make their own copies of everything you give them. If you graduated from NYC high Schools they do not give a replacement diploma. If you do not have it you can contact your old high school and request a

"Transcript of High School Record". They had a small fee when I got mines a few years ago.

I go to 180 on Wed and I'm treating this just like an interview . I plan on being there earlier than expected. If they want casual business attire, then that's what I'll give 'em. I am a firm believer that perspective employers watch you from the moment you walk in until you walk out . I don't believe in luck, but I do wish everyone the best on their journey to 180 Livingston

Two questions: Do you have to bring original documents if so what kind & when? Do you have to come in business attire, if so when?

Honestly the first time you go I doubt it matters so much what you wear. You go there to wait on a line, sit down, fill out more papers, pee in a cup, fill out a little more paperwork and get the ok to go home to fill out even more paperwork than you did before this step. The letter they send in the mail says to dress business casual (when I went I seen people dress all different but it is best to follow instructions so might be best to google business casual so you have an idea what to wear). The letter also states what you need to bring if I remember correctly you need your originals of your social security card, H.S. diploma, birth certificate, driver's license/permit/non-driver's I.D. I forget what else but definitely those things.

Some advice though don't depend on your letter for your list number and exam number. They will take that at the start then give you something to fill out asking those things. Also as others stated here the earlier you show up the earlier you will finish and might be a good idea to drink something before getting there. After the first attempt you have to sit there until you can pee and they only give 3 hours although they will give you water.

I don't know about when you get called back but from what I observed for the first time that is what to expect. It isn't an interview but it is always a good idea to leave a good impression where you can.

Honestly the first time you go I doubt it matters so much what you wear. You go there to wait on a line, sit down, fill out more papers, pee in a cup, fill out a little more paperwork and get the ok to go home to fill out even more paperwork than you did before this step. The letter they send in the mail says to dress business casual (when I went I seen people dress all different but it is best to follow instructions so might be best to google business casual so you have an idea what to wear). The letter also states what you need to bring if I remember correctly you need your originals of your social security card, H.S. diploma, birth certificate, driver's license/permit/non-driver's I.D. I forget what else but definitely those things.

Some advice though don't depend on your letter for your list number and exam number. They will take that at the start then give you something to fill out asking those things. Also as others stated here the earlier you show up the earlier you will finish and might be a good idea to drink something before getting there. After the first attempt you have to sit there until you can pee and they only give 3 hours although they will give you water.

I don't know about when you get called back but from what I observed for the first time that is what to expect. It isn't an interview but it is always a good idea to leave a good impression where you can.

Pretty helpful, Thank u!!!

I don't remember them asking for proof of that. Just fill out the previous and current employment history as accurately as you can. They are gonna do a background check so I would assume part of that will provide them the proof they need. Not sure what else they check in a background check I am actually curious about that too.

Went down to 180 livingston on 2/10.  Got there at 630am and was finished by 10am and on my way home.  I was the first person to arrive there for the T/O position to take the D/T.  Keep in mind that by 7am that waiting room is packed with people.  And by 730am forget about it.  There weren't any seats left and people were waiting standing up.  Even though the letter says 730am start PLEASE get there early, very early if you want to get out of there at a reasonable time. Definitely bring a PEN! LISTEN TO INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE LADIES AT THE FRONT DESK.  They will talk very loud and embarrass you if you're not paying attention and not following instructions.  REMEMBER YOUR EXAM # and LIST #. They will take the letter that has that information from you and you will need it while filling out your paper work.  The last thing i was told before leaving is that they would call me in either 2 days or up to 90 days. Make sure you return once called with the 21 page booklet completely filled out.  They are asking for work history with dates from HIGH SCHOOL until now!  SS office can give you a print out of that if needed. Also they need the ID, SS CARD, Birth CERT or PASSPORT, & HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA!  For those of you that can't find it or lost your diploma/GED you can request a new one at this link  http://www.acces.nysed.gov/ged/duplicate_diploma.html  keep in mind that this could take 4 weeks or more to get a copy.  Another option would be to go down 89 washington ave, Albany NY on a Monday, Weds, or FRIDAY between the hours of 1pm-3pm and get a copy the same day if needed.   GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!  Im waiting and praying I get the call soon.. List# 2280-2310