Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Thanks for the info. SubwayGuy. I got thrown into the A also with 923. But I here about that ATS that it's effed up. Automated train supervision? Right? Or the so an so in the office likes to yell, and blah blah blah! I guess it's like anywhere else. You got good, bad, and ugly.

Yo Mard!!!!! How did you make out today!?

Actually supervision in the A Division (I can only speak for AMs and PMs, since I pretty much never work Midnights) is pretty good. Some are better than others, and there are a few bad apples, but the majority are out to work with you.

The B Division is more of a mixed bag, some locations are very pleasant to work at, others, well let's just say their reputation precedes them.

Care to elaborate on a couple of reasons that CAN get us fired?

Hmm...there are many....here are some of the major ones...

-Hitting multiple signals (especially home signals).

-Repeatedly overrunning stations.

-Repeated wrong routes.

-Damaging equipment where the operator is at fault (ie derailment, collision, splitting a switch in the yard)

-Repeated instances of reckless train operation (ie speeding).

-Repeated instances of lateness or missing work.

-Booking sick multiple times without doctor's lines.

-Excessive use of sick time while on probation (yes, even if warranted, this can get you fired!).

-Coming up dirty for an alcohol or drug test while on probation

-While on probation, if it is determined you lied on your job application or background information paperwork

-Use of the cellphone while operating your train, working the platform, or otherwise on duty, in uniform, and in plain view of customers (ie cell phone use is OK in crew rooms, don't get scared off by this...it's very common sense)

-Illegal behavior, on or off the job (assaulting a customer, getting arrested for DUI on your day off, charged with a crime)

-padding the payroll, or theft of TA property

Edited by SubwayGuy

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. SubwayGuy. I got thrown into the A also with 923. But I here about that ATS that it's effed up. Automated train supervision? Right? Or the so an so in the office likes to yell, and blah blah blah! I guess it's like anywhere else. You got good, bad, and ugly.

Yo Mard!!!!! How did you make out today!?

Actually supervision in the A Division (I can only speak for AMs and PMs, since I pretty much never work Midnights) is pretty good. Some are better than others, and there are a few bad apples, but the majority are out to work with you.

The B Division is more of a mixed bag, some locations are very pleasant to work at, others, well let's just say their reputation precedes them.

Care to elaborate on a couple of reasons that CAN get us fired?

Hmm...there are many....here are some of the major ones...

-Hitting multiple signals (especially home signals).

-Repeatedly overrunning stations.

-Repeated wrong routes.

-Damaging equipment where the operator is at fault (ie derailment, collision, splitting a switch in the yard)

-Repeated instances of reckless train operation (ie speeding).

-Repeated instances of lateness or missing work.

-Booking sick multiple times without doctor's lines.

-Excessive use of sick time while on probation (yes, even if warranted, this can get you fired!).

-Coming up dirty for an alcohol or drug test while on probation

-While on probation, if it is determined you lied on your job application or background information paperwork

-Use of the cellphone while operating your train, working the platform, or otherwise on duty, in uniform, and in plain view of customers (ie cell phone use is OK in crew rooms, don't get scared off by this...it's very common sense)

-Illegal behavior, on or off the job (assaulting a customer, getting arrested for DUI on your day off, charged with a crime)

-padding the payroll, or theft of TA property

Thank you for the info!!!

That's a good look on your part Subway Guy.

Thanks for that info. I actually made a print copy of that valuable information Subway guy. Once again good look. But I do have a question, what is the policy on bereavement? Death in the family? How much time are you allowed off and is it extended only to immediate family?

Edited by SevenEleven

Got sworn in today! I'll be in the 5/19 class! This has definitely been a rough ride for me! Happy I can finally say that I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got sworn in today! I'll be in the 5/19 class! This has definitely been a rough ride for me! Happy I can finally say that I'm in!

I'm genuinely happy for you Dawg. Nice that you got your situation straighten out.

Oh shoot!!!!!! My man is in!!!!! It's on and poppin son!!! ????????????????

Is it about the same number of people who go to A and B divisions? Or does one division typically need a lot more people?

B Division is bigger and gets more over the long haul. But needs of the service dictate how many slots in each, if a choice is presented to an induction group, are available. Some classes do not get to choose, it's all luck of the draw, and goes by seniority, which is based (within the class) off the inductees' list numbers.

Thanks for that info. I actually made a print copy of that valuable information Subway guy. Once again good look. But I do have a question, what is the policy on bereavement? Death in the family? How much time are you allowed off and is it extended only to immediate family?

You are given time off to deal with death in the family, however you must prove everything.

Immediate family members (father, mother, child, spouse) are no problem, however you will have to present a copy of the death certificate as well as a copy of all documentation to prove the relationship - for parents this is your birth certificate with their names on it, for child a copy of their birth certificate with your name on it, for spouse, this is a copy of the marriage license. I believe this is up to three days granted, but someone can correct me on it as I'm not 100% sure.

Other people, you will only get one day for, but it will come out of your bank. Pay attention when "AVA" days are explained to you, and start saving holidays in your bank. Always keep days in your bank for emergencies. You will have to take an "emergency AVA day" in this instance, calling your crew office of course to let them know, and will ultimately have to substantiate it with proof that you attended the funeral from the funeral home itself upon returning, or else you will be carried AWOL for the day in question.

@allday I appreciate that a lot. Thank you! What's your status so far?

@brownhornet you already know how I'm feeling today. Went on a mission and then some but I overcame adversity and made it by a hair. That woman at 180 was a god sent. I'm just pumped up about the opportunity and excited about the future again.

@allday I appreciate that a lot. Thank you! What's your status so far?

@brownhornet you already know how I'm feeling today. Went on a mission and then some but I overcame adversity and made it by a hair. That woman at 180 was a god sent. I'm just pumped up about the opportunity and excited about the future again.

Thanks once again Subway Guy. @ Mard, my situation won't be over until late Sept and then I can continue processing. So for now I'm living through you guys! LOL

Is it about the same number of people who go to A and B divisions? Or does one division typically need a lot more people? B Division is bigger and gets more over the long haul. But needs of the service dictate how many slots in each, if a choice is presented to an induction group, are available. Some classes do not get to choose, it's all luck of the draw, and goes by seniority, which is based (within the class) off the inductees' list numbers.Thanks for that info. I actually made a print copy of that valuable information Subway guy. Once again good look. But I do have a question, what is the policy on bereavement? Death in the family? How much time are you allowed off and is it extended only to immediate family? You are given time off to deal with death in the family, however you must prove everything. Immediate family members (father, mother, child, spouse) are no problem, however you will have to present a copy of the death certificate as well as a copy of all documentation to prove the relationship - for parents this is your birth certificate with their names on it, for child a copy of their birth certificate with your name on it, for spouse, this is a copy of the marriage license. I believe this is up to three days granted, but someone can correct me on it as I'm not 100% sure. Other people, you will only get one day for, but it will come out of your bank. Pay attention when "AVA" days are explained to you, and start saving holidays in your bank. Always keep days in your bank for emergencies. You will have to take an "emergency AVA day" in this instance, calling your crew office of course to let them know, and will ultimately have to substantiate it with proof that you attended the funeral from the funeral home itself upon returning, or else you will be carried AWOL for the day in question.
Exactly... The the class or two before mine all of them got sent to the B division. That's why they only had 12 B division slots this go around and a whopping 30 A division slots. Hey..... It is what it is.... TA property!!!!! Remember that!!!
@allday I appreciate that a lot. Thank you! What's your status so far? @brownhornet you already know how I'm feeling today. Went on a mission and then some but I overcame adversity and made it by a hair. That woman at 180 was a god sent. I'm just pumped up about the opportunity and excited about the future again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm happy for you man!!! Well I'm gonna post an update on this great day today!!! So everybody behind will get a glimpse of the experience

Great news!! I'll see you in there bro!

@Apaca1ypse for sure. We gotta link up once we start 5/19. We need all the support we can get as rookies. And I'm gonna find @brownhornet and @depmaze eventually. We gotta catch up to them!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@allday I know the feeling bro. Hold your head and be patient. Everything happens for a reason. You definitely have our support on here if you ever want to vent. We all been through different scenarios either here or elsewhere. Hold tight your time is nearSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapters 1-3 in the rules and regs. Book fellas @apocalypse @mard!!! ASAP!!!

@Apaca1ypse for sure. We gotta link up once we start 5/19. We need all the support we can get as rookies. And I'm gonna find @brownhornet and @depmaze eventually. We gotta catch up to them!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk@allday I know the feeling bro. Hold your head and be patient. Everything happens for a reason. You definitely have our support on here if you ever want to vent. We all been through different scenarios either here or elsewhere. Hold tight your time is nearSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We definitely gonna catch up!!!!! Congrats again fellas, and good luck to the rest patiently waiting

Got our tools today!!!! Wooooo!!! I'm going in!!! Lol. Shout out to my dude in my class!!! I see you!! ???? ????????????

@Apaca1ypse for sure. We gotta link up once we start 5/19. We need all the support we can get as rookies. And I'm gonna find @brownhornet and @depmaze eventually. We gotta catch up to them! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@allday I know the feeling bro. Hold your head and be patient. Everything happens for a reason. You definitely have our support on here if you ever want to vent. We all been through different scenarios either here or elsewhere. Hold tight your time is near Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you find Brownhornet you will find me.  We are in the same class.  I am loving every minute. We even did a few hours overtime already for a terrorism class. So far all the TSS's we have met are so cool.  They treat us like adults.  This is a grown persons job and yours to lose if you don't follow the rules.  They will get rid of you.  Congratulations to the May 19, class. 

What tools? Specify? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

safety vest, hearing protection, eye protection, gloves, text books,

@Apaca1ypse for sure. We gotta link up once we start 5/19. We need all the support we can get as rookies. And I'm gonna find @brownhornet and @depmaze eventually. We gotta catch up to them! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@allday I know the feeling bro. Hold your head and be patient. Everything happens for a reason. You definitely have our support on here if you ever want to vent. We all been through different scenarios either here or elsewhere. Hold tight your time is near Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you find Brownhornet you will find me.  We are in the same class.  I am loving every minute. We even did a few hours overtime already for a terrorism class. So far all the TSS's we have met are so cool.  They treat us like adults.  This is a grown persons job and yours to lose if you don't follow the rules.  They will get rid of you.  Congratulations to the May 19, class. 

What tools? Specify? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

safety vest, hearing protection, eye protection, gloves, text books,

^^What he said^^