Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

@VinnySea, thanks for the detailed response.  I appreciate it, I follow your logic.  I'm just hoping to get started soon.

@Ken, congrats on getting your start date.  So it looks like they're booking school car 1-2 months out...

General question since people are discussing parking - I get it that there are lots of pay lots in downtown Brooklyn and difficult street parking where the school is in Brooklyn (Midwood?).  When people get assigned work in the yards, do most drive or take the train?  Is parking difficult at most train yards?

Depends on the facility. Let your instructors know you plan to drive and they will go over the parking situation at each location with you the day before you are to report there. They are really helpful people who will give you tips on areas to look for parking, as well as directions to the facility which can vary significantly from directions to the nearest train station for at least a few locations. If there are places where parking is ill advised, they will also tell you as much and recommend you take the train.

Where you report will be determined by the schedule (which the instructors can change), also, you may not always end where you start. Your instructors should always make those things clear to you so that if you drive, you don't wind up clearing somewhere different than where you parked your car.

Edited by SubwayGuy

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ceerock congrats. Dress code is as followed. (Until you get your uniforms) light blue button down dress shirt, I got 2 at walmart for $24. Dark blue pants....I mean pants, not dress jeans. Shoes or boots, black. You get your ID card which is also your employee metrocard. Yes, you ride for free.

@ceerock congrats. Dress code is as followed. (Until you get your uniforms) light blue button down dress shirt, I got 2 at walmart for $24. Dark blue pants....I mean pants, not dress jeans. Shoes or boots, black. You get your ID card which is also your employee metrocard. Yes, you ride for free.[/

@westendman thanks, sorry spell check I ment LIRR. Do we get to ride rail road for free?

@ceerock congrats. Dress code is as followed. (Until you get your uniforms) light blue button down dress shirt, I got 2 at walmart for $24. Dark blue pants....I mean pants, not dress jeans. Shoes or boots, black. You get your ID card which is also your employee metrocard. Yes, you ride for free.[/

@westendman thanks, sorry spell check I ment LIRR. Do we get to ride rail road for free?

On a whole the LIRR doesn't accept MTA passes but there are times few and far in between where conductors will honor MTA passes.For the most part do what W.E.M. said.

Doesn't the new contract permit MTA employees to ride the LIRR and Metro North for free, at least for commuting to/from work?

Is the issue that the contract hasn't yet taken effect?

It has taken effect, but the pass is only for those who live outside the 5 boroughs. Those of us who live in NYC don't get a pass

Doesn't the new contract permit MTA employees to ride the LIRR and Metro North for free, at least for commuting to/from work?

Is the issue that the contract hasn't yet taken effect?

This is a separate employee pass. In order to be eligible for this, the employee must have an address on file with the MTA that is outside of the five boroughs in a service region of either railroad, but not both.

So if you live in Westchester County, for example, you will get a Metro-North Commutation Pass. Long Islanders, for example, will get the LIRR Commutation Pass. The two commutation passes, nor your EPIC pass with NYC Transit, "as the rules are written", are not interchangeable for use on either railroad.

Hey guys just made a month in school car this past week. I want you to all know that you have to and must study the signals. 4 people 4 just failed the signal exam. That test is 25 questions 15 mult choice and 10 written questions. Look at that test as 25 questions for 25 years at this job we all want. We all waited 5 plus years to get the call don't blow it on this signal exam. Study as much as you can with your classmates. You will be a small family and you should want to see everyone past. Again study them signals and know what they mean not just what they look like. Congrats to everyone that came in this past class and the new sept class good luck. 

You take the signal exam after 1 month.? I have most of the signals down, still a few sketchy ones but getting there. I better study the sketchy ones a little harder. We havent even met our TSS's yet, let alone get our schedule.

Edited by WestEndMan

Being I haven't even met my TSS or have been assigned a schedule, I'm guessing my 1st official week is Tuesday. Still, one month for an exam seems quick. From what the other TSS's mentioned, they made it seemed like you take the exam 2 months down the line.

Being I haven't even met my TSS or have been assigned a schedule, I'm guessing my 1st official week is Tuesday. Still, one month for an exam seems quick. From what the other TSS's mentioned, they made it seemed like you take the exam 2 months down the line.

No the signal test is two months from the start but when crazy things like 4 people failing the test everyone in school car hears about it.

LOL. Sorry i was just tryin to get you guys to understand how important signals are. Them 4 people wasted two months because they didnt take the time to study. Its not like they missed one answer but they got 76's and 84's i dont even know what to say to that.

Edited by HopefulTO