Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Thanks again, I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to get to school car driving or mass trans. (Coming from the island) how long before we get our health benefits ?

90 days after your start date the health benefits kick in.

Edited by Etrain

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again, I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to get to school car driving or mass trans. (Coming from the island) how long before we get our health benefits ?

Talk to your instructors when you reach that point. They will let you know places where parking is easy vs. places where it is not.

Also for people who drive to work, sometimes the place you're going may not be easy to park, but there is a nearby place that is. In that case doing the "park and ride" is also an option.

And as said above, 90 days for health benefits. However the effective date will actually be the beginning of the first month that follows your 90th day as an employee. You should receive your ID cards in the mail before that.

Edited by SubwayGuy

What is deal with this bed bug epidemic on the subways? Any truth to that? Not to change the subject, Once in field how do TO's take lunch and breaks?

Breaks are built into the schedules, which are adhered to provided the railroad is running well. "Needs of the service" will always come first, but you will have pre-planned breaks. If the railroad is bad, then all of that is subject to change based on what is needed to be done and who is available to do it, but days down here where you do not have time to eat are extremely rare. Days where you feel like you are constantly on the train occur more frequently, but that is more a function of the job you are working, and how the railroad is running.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Breaks are built into the schedules, which are adhered to provided the railroad is running well. "Needs of the service" will always come first, but you will have pre-planned breaks. If the railroad is bad, then all of that is subject to change based on what is needed to be done and who is available to do it, but days down here where you do not have time to eat are extremely rare. Days where you feel like you are constantly on the train occur more frequently, but that is more a function of the job you are working, and how the railroad is running.

In other words.. "Bring Lunch"..

A word to the wise. DO NOT eat any food that is going to make you have to go to the bathroom suddenly. Stay away from spicy foods, especially Cayenne Pepper. Nothing worse than going in your pants on the train because you had no choice.

Eeeeppppppppp. :(

Edited by RTOMan

I've been staying away from greasy, spicy & fast food. My biggest flaw is I'm a coffee drinker. I already cut that down. But like my TSS said.....if you belong to a gym...... quit. He wasn't joking. My arms, back, legs, everything is getting a workout, but it also makes me hungrier.

@VinnySea, You'll see the options at orientation. The have options where you dont have to put in anything and they have "high" options, which you can pay extra pre tax. Truthfully, unless you plan on being in a hospital for a year, take the basic, they are pretty much the same.

For the guys coming in for Sept class. 

I've just finished my second week of school car. Let me give you some advice. Be prepared to learn alot. My TSS's are very helpful as are all of them, but I can only speak of the ones I have. Listen to them, dont just HEAR them.....LISTEN & UNDERSTAND what they say. Within the first 2 weeks, I have learned so much, yet its only a fraction of the total stuff we need to learn. For example

learning signals (everyday quiz)

track safety

switches

meeting tower operations

learning procedures for add ins and cuts (coupling & un coupling cars)

pre service yard checks 

walking the yard tracks SAFELY

Operating a train.(yes actually moving a train)

Learning handbrakes

How to do yard moves and learning the lingo on how to speak on the radio.

All this in just 2 weeks. Its a lot of stuff. My recommendation to the guys coming in, get a good strong bag because you will be getting alot of stuff to carry(books, equip, safety equip, vest, anything else you might need) You will need this stuff everyday and you will not be in the same place constantly. maybe at most 2 days in a row. Be prepared to do alot of walking with this equipment. I've met alot of guys who thought they were coming in to school car and were going to be at the school all the time....ha ha, not happening. You will get a workout with the equipment being on your backs everyday. Plus, being in the sun, stations and sometimes just outside in general, drink plenty of water. Hydration is key.

Just keep in mind, you are coming into something that is very demanding of your time & body. One piece of advice I was given, whatever I see other veteran T/O's or employees in general doing, DONT DO IT. Do it by the book. Good luck to the guys/gals coming in, you are in for some serious stuff. Your life can be great with the TA, and it can also be a nightmare. Curb any type of arrogance, attitude at the door. For the supposed "Subway Buffs", you are not Mr know-it-alls. Curb that too. Your TSS's are there to help you and teach you everything you need to learn.  

@WestEndMan. Thanks for the info and advice. I'm glad to have people like yourself to help along the way! Not all people are willing to offer their time and energy to help others. Good to know from this forum that there are still good people left in this crazy world!

You guys are going to get called. Just enjoy the freedom now. Take my word when I say that. I'm going on my 4th week. I've learned alot so far. School car will be your life. Studying will be your life. Lugging around that heavy backpack with books & equipment will be your life. Enjoy it. When you get here, you will hate it.......but then LEARN to love it. Its all worth the wait.