Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I was just talking to an older t/o in the crew room who said that nobody's really retiring because they can't afford to, and with all these classes there's like 100 people on the board every day doing nothing. But common wisdom on here says t/o's are leaving in droves and we're so short down here. So which is it???

I don't know if they have another exam coming up soon, but alot of guys have the time but not the age from what I hear. Once the age factor hits, I figure heads will retire.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far what my TSS's say, retirement can be scheduled & from what they know, coming by year's end into next year, you'll see retirements taking place. Also they told us, don't listen to guys in the crew rooms. They look at you(new guys) as the replacements. Just keep doing right by yourself & things will go well.

I'm on hold right now until I can get my cardiology report until I can get that hopefully tomorrow I should be good I'm in a panic right now cause I really want to get this October class I can't afford to wait another month. so for the time being I'm stuck in New York.

I'm on hold right now until I can get my cardiology report until I can get that hopefully tomorrow I should be good I'm in a panic right now cause I really want to get this October class I can't afford to wait another month. so for the time being I'm stuck in New York.

Stay positive. I was there today w8n to find out my situation . It's been one thing after another with me and this position since Feb. Being that I was a conductor in 97, I have to w8 for a departmental eval b4 I can be fingerprinted. At this point I'm good if I do or don't get this position. You hang in there Pelham.

As far what my TSS's say, retirement can be scheduled & from what they know, coming by year's end into next year, you'll see retirements taking place. Also they told us, don't listen to guys in the crew rooms. They look at you(new guys) as the replacements. Just keep doing right by yourself & things will go well.

Don't believe that hype. Experienced employees are one of the best resources to learn the job once you are on your own.

But be careful who you listen to. Ignore the f*** ups and those with attitude. There are lots of people who are willing (and able) to help you if you ask.

This rift between new and experienced workers is dumb and divides us. Each generation has its good ones and its screw ups.

A question for the guys who have been in for a bit, what kind of bag will i need, any good recommendations and what should i look for as far as note books ect. I want to get the stuff while I'm in Florida where it's cheap lol

I use a solid backpack with hidden wheels for those days I just don't feel like carrying it on my shoulder. Lots of padding on the straps.....the phone books like we call them are a little heavy. I personnally use a one subject spiral notebook, and have a mini pad I put in my shirt pocket for when we're out on the yard tracks or on a train & don't have our books with us. Helps when jotting down some important stuff you might need later on.

just a standard north face or jansport bag will suit you just fine, it will be full but you can fit it all in one. i am not a fan of the roll around bags, they look really really unprofessional and you looks super lazy trying to roll it around by the train tracks

Just got done with the yard posting now it's on to YX. Time flies down here before you know it that bag will have rules and tools only. I seen a new class at 239 yd the other day was that anyone in here?

Congrats. Remember to ask questions if you don't know moves! YX will be what you make of it. If you try to learn the moves at locations, write them down, and try to remember them...you'll get a lot out of it - more than those of us who went straight to the road. If you just see it as working a senior job and sitting down watching TV, well then you'll be able to have great convo's about every episode of Maury, and you'll be a master chef from watching the Chew.

But only one of those will be beneficial to your career! Good luck, and all the best.

Edited by SubwayGuy