Worst Bus Ever

BM5 via Woodhaven

Dont worry it's going back to Triboro/LGA....give us the Q69:tup:

LaGuardia had better maintainence and buses came more on time then College Point. Not to get off topic but while I was on the 10-minute-late College Point Q38 bus, I saw a QM6 stopping at Woodhaven Boulevard. Turns out the bus broke down. I think it was #3296, which is from CP. And there you have it kids, thats why the Q38 should go back to LGA. College Point has bad maintainence anyway.

MTA- Screwing your way, coming to a bus or subway near you

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say the M31 in Manhattan is one of the worst. It runs way too infrequently that people traveling along York Avenue will usually just take a cab if the bus isn't already there.

The M22 also runs way too infrequently. As the only crosstown bus Downtown it really should have significantly increased headways so that it'll actually be faster than walking.

Tell the MTA to restore the M22 to the way it was and you'll be happy. Chambers Street is the main choking point of the line in both directions.

LaGuardia had better maintainence and buses came more on time then College Point. Not to get off topic but I think I saw a QM6 stopping at Woodhaven Boulevard. Turns out the bus broke down. I think it was #3296, which is from CP, a good reason for why the Q38 should go back to LGA

QM6s dont stop at woodhaven, and 3296 is a LGA bus. What you might've seen was a QM12

Don't know about you but (B46) and (Q44) are good to me guess its luck. (M35) really those ppl don't pay then reduce their service sharply.

I would resort to the shoe leather express before using B35 lol.

If the ppl really don't pay I would simply punish em by axing weekend service reducing service to every 30 mins and cutting out early at 7PM

M22 is too slow to take seriously the shoe leather express is cheaper and faster.

Cut the routing that slows down S53 period. Give em a rte that runs based on the demand which isn't much. OK if you don't like B25 there is always the (C) and (A) trains don't like it walk.

For the M35, a good idea for the knuckleheads that don't pay the driver is to eliminate the M35, and bring in the X80, so that Randall and Ward's Islanders learn their lesson to pay on the bus and riders have to pay $5.50 instead of $2.25, which is a dollar more than twice of what they pay, or 5.5 times more than their free ride. How do you like it now, Randall and Wards Island?!

College pt. used to be the Main HQ for MTABus and we got stripped ....LGA has shitty Maint. but you don't see me saying that ever 23 seconds cause I got peeps who work there but CPT is one of the Largest Depots out there so slow your role and only I can crack on us cause cough cough I work there...

ps 3296 is a LGA bus

College pt. used to be the Main HQ for MTABus and we got stripped ....LGA has shitty Maint. but you don't see me saying that ever 23 seconds cause I got peeps who work there but CPT is one of the Largest Depots out there so slow your role and only I can crack on us cause cough cough I work there...

ps 3296 is a LGA bus

Thats what I thought. Thanks. :tup:

For the M35, a good idea for the knuckleheads that don't pay the driver is to eliminate the M35, and bring in the X80, so that Randall and Ward's Islanders learn their lesson to pay on the bus and riders have to pay $5.50 instead of $2.25, which is a dollar more than twice of what they pay, or 5.5 times more than their free ride. How do you like it now, Randall and Wards Island?!

The X80 only charges in one direction.

Plus, if they don't pay on the M35, what makes you think they'll pay on the X80?

If they can't get to the mental hospitals on the islands, it not only hurts themselves, but if they're crazy and on the streets, it affects everybody in the surrounding community. Plus, I'm sure the medical treatment or whatever they're receiving there costs a lot more money than the bus ride to get there.

I gotta throw the B35 into this one. Buses always come in bunches, and the limited doesn't really make much of a difference over the local espically between Utica Av & Flatbush Av

Cut the routing that slows down S53 period. Give em a rte that runs based on the demand which isn't much. OK if you don't like B25 there is always the (C) and (A) trains don't like it walk.

The thing with the B25 is that it carries a good load of people throught the day, plus none of the stations along the (A)(C) lines are wheelchair accessible with the exception of Jay St.

To simplify this question better, the topics for the Worst bus are:

Frequency

Headways

Realiability

Mantainence

Rapidness

What THEN would you do for the route to get better

Using this criteria....

1) (actual, real time) frequency- AFAIC, this goes to the M20... even though the damned thing's "supposed" to run @ 15 min. headways, be prepared to wait up to a 1/2 hour b/w buses.... only time you'll ever really see 2 (or more) M20's in close vicinity of each other, is heading SB south of like 14th.... where you get one bus sittin stuck in one spot in traffic (usually at a bus stop), and a bus on either the left-most lanes ends up passing it (forget about that bus making any stops along 7th/varick if it's on one of those left lanes)... see that all the time around houston & christopher sts....

nothin much can be done to fix that, since a bevy of motorists use varick st to enter the holland....

2) headways- Bx24; 30 min headways all day IINM....

you don't wanna know my answer as to how that should be "fixed".... lol.....

....can also throw the Q21 into this category... but I didn't make it the primary choice b/c it's main purpose is to act as a supplementary route (for the most part)....

3) reliability- q19 immediately comes to mind... only other thing to increase that route's reliability is by increasing service (which isn't warranted, to be honest)...

on the astoria end (heading towards flushing), some b/o's tend to leave whenever they want.... buses along that route are hardly ever on schedule b/c of it..... worse, you get some that don't even complete the full route over to 21st - esp. if buses empty out @ the (N)(Q) station... I've seen buses go OOS on a couple occasions right after discharging pax @ the subway....

I don't wanna call those drivers lazy, but I do think since b/c the majority of the ridership around the subway station goes to the M60, some 19 drivers use that to their advantage....

waiting for a Q19 mid-route along astoria blvd @ times feels like you're in no-man's land... there is no reason three Q49's should enter & leave the term. over there on 102nd, before a 19 shows up (either direction, but I was waitin for a flushing bound bus that instance)

4) maintenance is depot specific, not route specific...

5) "rapidness" (lol): the M42.... how do you speed up that route? can start by banning taxi's & other commercial vehicles clogging up 42nd st.... of course, that's not realistic....

seriously though... all the taxi's around GCT exacerbate matters (east side), as well as holland tunnel traffic (west side)....

not this again...

someone else on this forum also mentioned gettin rid of the M35 & replacing it with express bus service....

by doing that, you're not sticking it to randall's/wards islands... all you'd end up doing is makin those cab drivers (not the yellow cabs either) that loiter around MNRR 125th st, richer....

on another note...

I mean, besides... what line would they throw rookie drivers @ 126th on, to get their feet wet then? ;)

not this again...

someone else on this forum also mentioned gettin rid of the M35 & replacing it with express bus service....

by doing that, you're not sticking it to randall's/wards islands... all you'd end up doing is makin those cab drivers (not the yellow cabs either) that loiter around MNRR 125th st, richer....

on another note...

I mean, besides... what line would they throw rookie drivers @ 126th on, to get their feet wet then? ;)

I started at 126st Depot and never once drove the M35....Not even in line training. I was on the extra list for about about 5 weeks without getting it and then picked a run on the M15 local. Lucky me, I guess

Using this criteria....

1) (actual, real time) frequency- AFAIC, this goes to the M20... even though the damned thing's "supposed" to run @ 15 min. headways, be prepared to wait up to a 1/2 hour b/w buses.... only time you'll ever really see 2 (or more) M20's in close vicinity of each other, is heading SB south of like 14th.... where you get one bus sittin stuck in one spot in traffic (usually at a bus stop), and a bus on either the left-most lanes ends up passing it (forget about that bus making any stops along 7th/varick if it's on one of those left lanes)... see that all the time around houston & christopher sts....

nothin much can be done to fix that, since a bevy of motorists use varick st to enter the holland....

....can also throw the Q21 into this category... but I didn't make it the primary choice b/c it's main purpose is to act as a supplementary route (for the most part)....

3) reliability- q19 immediately comes to mind... only other thing to increase that route's reliability is by increasing service (which isn't warranted, to be honest)...

on the astoria end (heading towards flushing), some b/o's tend to leave whenever they want.... buses along that route are hardly ever on schedule b/c of it..... worse, you get some that don't even complete the full route over to 21st - esp. if buses empty out @ the (N)(Q) station... I've seen buses go OOS on a couple occasions right after discharging pax @ the subway....

I don't wanna call those drivers lazy, but I do think since b/c the majority of the ridership around the subway station goes to the M60, some 19 drivers use that to their advantage....

waiting for a Q19 mid-route along astoria blvd @ times feels like you're in no-man's land... there is no reason three Q49's should enter & leave the term. over there on 102nd, before a 19 shows up (either direction, but I was waitin for a flushing bound bus that instance)

4) maintenance is depot specific, not route specific...

5) "rapidness" (lol): the M42.... how do you speed up that route? can start by banning taxi's & other commercial vehicles clogging up 42nd st.... of course, that's not realistic....

seriously though... all the taxi's around GCT exacerbate matters (east side), as well as holland tunnel traffic (west side)....

For 2, which I dont think is a very good idea is to combine the Bx23 and Bx24, originating from Pelham Bay Park, around Co-Op City via the Bruckner, and around the Bx24 routing in Country Club back to Pelham Bay Park. It would only benefit weekday riders, since the Bx23 has a higher frequency than the Bx24

For 2, which I dont think is a very good idea is to combine the Bx23 and Bx24, originating from Pelham Bay Park, around Co-Op City via the Bruckner, and around the Bx24 routing in Country Club back to Pelham Bay Park. It would only benefit weekday riders, since the Bx23 has a higher frequency than the Bx24

You don't have to run every bus from Co-Op City to Country Club: You can have most of the buses run from Co-Op City to PBP, and only extend a few buses to Country Club.

The thing that some people brought up is the fact that techincally, this would make the Bx23 a complete loop (since there's no real "terminal" in either Country Club or Co-Op City), so something would have to be done about that.

By the way, you don't have to quote the whole post. If you're only responding to point 2, then erase the other points. It cuts down on clutter.

I hate the S53...it never connects with the S61/62 at Victory/Clove on time. Just as we get to that intersection the other buses already pull out of the stop. I blame the meandering the route goes through in Arrochar.

I think you should place the blame on the S61 and S62 more than the S53 because those two buses tend to show up early. It also seems like they try to time the S53s to meet up with the S48, but not with the Victory Blvd buses. If you look at the schedules, the buses are timed to miss each other by a minute or two in some cases which is ridiculous if you need Victory Blvd because those run less frequently than the S53s. Overall, I'd say that the S53 is the most reliable bus out of Castleton Depot which is saying a lot because they really don't seem to have any supervision out of that depot.

Today the X10 going into the city was SRO by the time we reached Manor and Schmidts Lane because the 13:36 was MIA. I had to make a stop before catching the express bus so I got on early and got a seat, but I had to wait about an hour before I got on, so I would've been pissed after waiting an hour and then having to stand all the way to the city.

Better hope we get that S83 soon. ;)

My college professor knows Allen Cappelli personally, so he (re)sent the proposal to him and we'll see if he can do anything. (He also sent him my S93 extension proposal, since it's dependant on the S83 being passed)

Last night, I ran to Forest Avenue and saw a bus pulling out. There was a woman standing at the northbound S53 stop, and she couldn't tell me if it was an S48 or S98 (if it was the S98, I would've just waited for the S48 which was supposed to come 2 minutes later, but if it was the S48, I wasn't about to wait for the S98). Since I didn't want to risk it, I saw an S53 pulling into the Forest Avenue stop, and we only made one stop between Forest Avenue and Victory Blvd. :tup:

But as far as the OP's question goes, there's just too many variables to consider. There's crowding, bunching, frequency, traffic, etc.

For instance, the S46/S96 can get crowded at certain times of the day and end up getting delayed, but other times they show up on time and with reasonable loads. I'm sure the same can be said of other routes with similar frequencies (Maybe some of the routes in SE Queens or something).

And how do you know what the demand is in the South Beach area? There are a lot of people transferring to the SIR at Grasmere (coming from the S53 in both directions, but a little more going to/from Port Richmond). A lot of people also get on at the last stop on McClean Avenue. That's why the S83 should have the same routing as the S53 if (hopefully when) it's implemented.

The demand in South Beach is very high. In fact the S53 gets a ton of turnover and that's another reason why it should have an LTD on the line because the big stops pick up very well and in addition to that, there are too many stops close between that slow down the bus.

The demand in South Beach is very high. In fact the S53 gets a ton of turnover and that's another reason why it should have an LTD on the line because the big stops pick up very well and in addition to that, there are too many stops close between that slow down the bus.

It isn't that much in South Beach. Most of the stops on McClean Avenue only get a handful of riders (except for the McClean Avenue/Father Capodanno Blvd stop), but once it gets into Grasmere (Hylan Clvd/Clove Road and beyond), the stops all have a lot of ridership.

In any case, why are you trying to convince me the S83 is needed? I wrote a whole proposal for Christ's sake. ;)

By the way, you don't have to quote the whole post. If you're only responding to point 2, then erase the other points. It cuts down on clutter.

^^ what this guy said....

@ Q23 Central Term..... like (the way I did) this reply.....

I started at 126st Depot and never once drove the M35....Not even in line training. I was on the extra list for about about 5 weeks without getting it and then picked a run on the M15 local. Lucky me, I guess

heh, yeah, guess you were one of the lucky ones....

Just decided to point that out in my last post, b/c I hear they either throw the rookies on the 15 or the 35 to start out....

I'm on Randalls a whole lot (more than I'd like tbh) and sorry man but they can cut the 35 as soon as they like. Everybody who works there has a car and if you don't and you're like me, you find somebody with a car or you walk over the bridge. They can charter a bus, cause all the M35 does is leave B/Os with a black eye and jack up maintenance costs -- without even getting fare money.

Express buses aren't gonna fix it, either a DOT charter or a dollar van service cause I'll bet you a million dollars that raising the price to $5.50 isn't gonna help the farebeating problem... Kill the M35.

...especially given the riderbase of the M35.

but anyway, I never knew one could walk to/from Randall's island over the triborough... learn some'n everyday....

Wasn't hinting in that direction at all, chief...

I wouldn't compromise the co-op city shuttle (basically what it is) - Those patrons actually use their Bx23....

It isn't that much in South Beach. Most of the stops on McClean Avenue only get a handful of riders (except for the McClean Avenue/Father Capodanno Blvd stop), but once it gets into Grasmere (Hylan Clvd/Clove Road and beyond), the stops all have a lot of ridership.

In any case, why are you trying to convince me the S83 is needed? I wrote a whole proposal for Christ's sake. ;)

Ay yay yay... Should I stop posting again??? I was clearly agreeing that the S83 is needed.... In any event what makes you so certain that ridership in South Beach isn't that high? The stops I was thinking about are the stops that you mentioned in particular (McClean Avenue and that last stop by Fr. Capodanno Blvd). Try using those stops during the rush hour... You also have to remember that the express buses along Capodanno Blvd help out otherwise the S53 would get more usage other there.

I say give them no bus service, and we all know why. Problem solved.

OR simply run the Bx24 every hour. Then we'll see if they learn how to appreciate what they're getting instead of whining.

Ay yay yay... Should I stop posting again??? I was clearly agreeing that the S83 is needed.... In any event what makes you so certain that ridership in South Beach isn't that high? The stops I was thinking about are the stops that you mentioned in particular (McClean Avenue and that last stop by Fr. Capodanno Blvd). Try using those stops during the rush hour... You also have to remember that the express buses along Capodanno Blvd help out otherwise the S53 would get more usage other there.

allow me to Answer the beginning for you...YESSSS

You need a ride down Father Cap.Blvd and just jump off the boardwalk

Geez, I was joking around. Grab a fancy beer and relax. :P I know you were one of the first to advocate for the idea (you and SIR North Shore), so I know you weren't trying to convince me.

In any case, how do I know? Simple: I've rode the S53 at various times of the day and the stops on McClean Avenue (aside from Father Capodanno Blvd) didn't really see a whole lot of usage (which is why the limited would pass all of them)

And the express buses have nothing to do with S53 ridership. Yeah, if they weren't there the S53 would see more ridership, but they are there and they're not going anywhere (considering the fact that there's demand for them and they're definitely needed), so there's no point in bringing that up.

But I remember at the meeting we attended you brought up the fact that the S53 is used by a lot of riders trying to connect to the express bus? That came to mind when I got on the S53 last Tuesday and some people dipped in an Express Bus Plus MetroCard. Now that I think about it, that could increase revenue: Instead of people in the West Brighton area (off-peak) taking the S48 to the ferry, they'll pay more and take the S53 to the X1 or X10 (because the service will be faster, more frequent, and more reliable). The MTA can add service to the X1 and X10 for virtually no cost because it's off-peak and reverse-peak service.

OR simply run the Bx24 every hour. Then we'll see if they learn how to appreciate what they're getting instead of whining.

That's exactly how he plans to fix it. You can't have crappy service if there's no service at all. B)

But running the Bx24 every hour would be stupid unless you could interline it somehow. The reason is that it takes only 19 minutes to make the full loop, so you'd have drivers just sitting there for 41 minutes before they start their next trip.

Am I missing some sarcasm with the ital or something? Nah you can definitely walk it, sidewalk on each side of the bridge long as you don't mind heights!

No sarcasm... I was dead ass w/ that.

I didn't know you can walk to Randall's Island....

Never thought about it, to be honest....

:tup:

Sure boss!

The EYE-Tile is at it again...

allow me to Answer the beginning for you...YESSSS

You need a ride down Father Cap.Blvd and just jump off the boardwalk

Hmm... So you're on Father Capodanno Blvd now huh? Hylan Blvd not treating you so good these days...? :P

Geez, I was joking around. Grab a fancy beer and relax. B) I know you were one of the first to advocate for the idea (you and SIR North Shore), so I know you weren't trying to convince me.

I did the fancy beer last weekend and wine several times during the week at lunch so I need sobriety...

In any case, how do I know? Simple: I've rode the S53 at various times of the day and the stops on McClean Avenue (aside from Father Capodanno Blvd) didn't really see a whole lot of usage (which is why the limited would pass all of them)

Yeah well those stops aren't any more different than other stops along the route.

And the express buses have nothing to do with S53 ridership. Yeah, if they weren't there the S53 would see more ridership, but they are there and they're not going anywhere (considering the fact that there's demand for them and they're definitely needed), so there's no point in bringing that up.

Really? See below

But I remember at the meeting we attended you brought up the fact that the S53 is used by a lot of riders trying to connect to the express bus? That came to mind when I got on the S53 last Tuesday and some people dipped in an Express Bus Plus MetroCard. Now that I think about it, that could increase revenue: Instead of people in the West Brighton area (off-peak) taking the S48 to the ferry, they'll pay more and take the S53 to the X1 or X10 (because the service will be faster, more frequent, and more reliable). The MTA can add service to the X1 and X10 for virtually no cost because it's off-peak and reverse-peak service.

Why are you so surprised by that?? If you used the S53 in the morning especially (around 08:45 - 09:00) (but also in the evenings (outside of rush hour), you would see plenty of folks using the S53 to get to Hylan Blvd esp. because of the frequency of the buses and the variety as well, but also the X10 (more so on weekends, but not as frequent, probably because the Hylan lines are more frequent but also because Hylan Blvd has stops that feel safer as opposed to waiting on a friggin service road with next to no sidewalk and no one around really). The fact that you can basically step off of the X1 and have an S53 pull in behind it also helps because your trip can continue without much of a problem.

Look at it this way... The S48 is about 25 minutes to the ferry, then the wait to board the ferry and the ride is a good 30 minutes or more depending on the docking, plus the walk to and the wait for the subway if you have to go further than Downtown. The S53 can be 15 minutes to Hylan Blvd from say Forest & Broadway with no traffic and not a million stops and the X1 is say maybe 20 minutes to Downtown, so the savings in time is quite significant.

Regarding your last statement that I put in bold, I'm not following you.

Archived