No 7. Line Extension Project Update

IRT Bronx Express

Work also began in September on the project's last major contract. This systems contract includes rail track, all mechanical, electrical and related systems throughout the tunnels, station, ventilation buildings and the main subway entrance at 34th Street. Completion of this contract is the last piece needed to initiate service on the No. 7 Line Extension in December 2013.

Read more here.

I want to be excited about this project but I'm not. Knowing that this extension doesn't have the 41st and 10th Ave station that it should have puts a dark cloud over this project for me and it's a damn shame too because it would be really worthwhile if they had just did the friggin station to add to the station at 34th St-Hudson Yard. Also, the 2nd Ave project is WAY more important than this. Just my 2 cents.

I want to be excited about this project but I'm not. Knowing that this extension doesn't have the 41st and 10th Ave station that it should have puts a dark cloud over this project for me and it's a damn shame too because it would be really worthwhile if they had just did the friggin station to add to the station at 34th St-Hudson Yard. Also, the 2nd Ave project is WAY more important than this. Just my 2 cents.

More important or not, this is still a huge step, in my opinion. The guy said it's 10 months ahead of schedule, but in reality it's more like 22 months ahead of schedule, because everybody thought it would be delayed. Great job, MTA!

It helps being the mayor's personal pet project it seems. Hopefully the next mayor will take a shine to SAS.

Guest lance25
More important or not, this is still a huge step, in my opinion. The guy said it's 10 months ahead of schedule, but in reality it's more like 22 months ahead of schedule, because everybody thought it would be delayed. Great job, MTA!

It's ahead of schedule because half of the project was shelved. As previously stated, the station at 9th & 41st will not be built. It would be something if the entire project as originally intended was on or ahead of schedule.

@Princelex: I agree with you. Until the Hudson Yards really takes off, all this will be is another 63rd Street, i.e. a tunnel to nowhere.

For what has been done, it is good that it is getting done quickly BUT like lance25 said, its because they have less to do than what they should've been doing. It's a half-assed project. Period

It helps being the mayor's personal pet project it seems. Hopefully the next mayor will take a shine to SAS.

Let us hope and pray cause this bullshit of a mayor sure has his priorities in the wrong place.

It's ahead of schedule because half of the project was shelved. As previously stated, the station at 9th & 41st will not be built. It would be something if the entire project as originally intended was on or ahead of schedule.

@Princelex: I agree with you. Until the Hudson Yards really takes off, all this will be is another 63rd Street, i.e. a tunnel to nowhere.

And that's another reason why I'm not excited about this project. I can see it doing a little bit of something for the immediate area surrounding the stop but I won't be shocked if the desired results for the Far West Side aren't met overall. With what they are proposing to do for the neighborhood, they might as well build a new subway line on 10th or 11th Ave and not just tease the area with one stop. It's strange to me.

Its all about the Developers , and that Hudson Yard Redevelopment project has alot of friends in the MTA and city Hall. If you think this is a NYC problem your wrong , 6 New Infill stations will be added to the HBLR to the benefit of Developers and not the community. Although the community will benefit in the long run from all these projects , they would get rid of gritty and dirty areas of the tri-state. The only problem I have with these extensions are , the cost. The Developers who demand the extensions to build there massive projects should chip in some $$$.

I agree about the 41st and 10th avenue. The TA could have at least placed a shell but whatever, an extension is an extension I guess.

Guest lance25
I the future station depiction i see an R32. fail.

It's subliminal advertising obviously. Those R32s just won't die so the new plan is to add CBTC compatibility to the R32s, shave back the platforms on the Flushing stations and run those trains there. The R142As/R188s will run elsewhere.

Please don't take the preceding as a factual statement.

And that's another reason why I'm not excited about this project. I can see it doing a little bit of something for the immediate area surrounding the stop but I won't be shocked if the desired results for the Far West Side aren't met overall. With what they are proposing to do for the neighborhood, they might as well build a new subway line on 10th or 11th Ave and not just tease the area with one stop. It's strange to me.

Well, it would make it easier to access jobs in the area from Queens, so it'll benefit the area in that sense. As for the area's residents, it would definitely be good if the line were extended further downtown.

Its all about the Developers , and that Hudson Yard Redevelopment project has alot of friends in the MTA and city Hall. If you think this is a NYC problem your wrong , 6 New Infill stations will be added to the HBLR to the benefit of Developers and not the community. Although the community will benefit in the long run from all these projects , they would get rid of gritty and dirty areas of the tri-state. The only problem I have with these extensions are , the cost. The Developers who demand the extensions to build there massive projects should chip in some $$$.

Which areas would get the infill stations? I don't think there are any areas where the HBLR has a wide stop spacing.

And building rail access to areas isn't the cure-all solution for getting rid of the "gritty areas". Plenty of areas have rail stations and are pretty rough.

in what way will they eliminate these areas???

That Hudson Yards development is to build a skyscraper complex similar to the World Trade Center over a train yard. It isn't to bulldoze projects.
me thinks projects need to be eliminated all over the country as they bring in no benefits at all. They only bring in crime and hoodlums from what I heard I have yet to hear good things about projects or benefits they bring which is none.

However if you can prove me wrong plz do I'd love more insight. Back to (7) go for it pet project

The word "project" is applied to any and almost every government funded (and plenty of privately funded) construction and building activities. In addition the word "project" is applied to a variety of operations that often use lots of manpower, coordinated labor actions and related productive activities.

The word "project" has used for such building activities as the Holland Tunnel, the World Trade Center, Rockefeller Center, Cooper Square Houses, hundreds of roads and highways across the country, the First Houses, the Space Shuttle, the Apollo series of moon landings, the Hoover Dam, the Manhattan Project to build the first atomic bomb that was used in WW2, the building of the Second Avenue subway, etc.

Thus the word - only has a connection to public housing because the word "project" has been used on countless other large scale activities.

Just letting it be known that if what was written was an attempt at humor - it failed. If it was an attempt at showing a lack of knowledge on the subject - they succeeded. If it was an attempt at race-baiting and showing prejudice - those activities have no place on this forum.

Just saying the truth.

Mike

Well, it would make it easier to access jobs in the area from Queens, so it'll benefit the area in that sense. As for the area's residents, it would definitely be good if the line were extended further downtown.

Which areas would get the infill stations? I don't think there are any areas where the HBLR has a wide stop spacing.

And building rail access to areas isn't the cure-all solution for getting rid of the "gritty areas". Plenty of areas have rail stations and are pretty rough.[/quote

In Urban Jersey any Rail extension or infill station speeds up Urban Renewal....so it does cure all or most of the area.

North Hoboken - HBLR

Bayfront Extension - HBLR

Canal Crossing - HBLR

Grove / 18th Street - HBLR

Harrison - Morristown line

Ampere - Montclair line

West Orange NLR extension

Wesmont Station - Bergen county line (Under Construction)

North Paterson - Main line

South Street - PATH

EWR - PATH

Bergen - Passaic Rail line

Laurence Harbor - North Jersey Coast line

Hillburn - Port Jervis line

They actually did build space for a future station at 10th Avenue. I highly doubt that they would build a station there though unless if the (7) was extended farther south or west to NJ.

That's where the Port Authority should have chipped in to make sure that station got built, since it can also serve as the Port Authority Bus Terminal stop.

Guest lance25

Why should the Port Authority chip in for something they won't see a dime in returns in? Sure, it would have the added benefit of being closer to the Bus Terminal than Times Square currently is, but it probably won't bring in any more customers than the terminal does already. Riders who need the buses over there will still have to use the Terminal, regardless of whether there's a 10th Avenue station built or not.

It would be convenient, but it sure won't bring in the bucks needed to even out the costs.

Archived