Two Months of No Wkend Service on the (Q) | 57th St - Prospect Pk

mark1447

In order to perform track replacement at Atlantic Avenue, the Q will operate between Prospect Park and Coney Island/Stillwell Avenue. There will be no Q service between 57th Street-7th Avenue in Manhattan and Prospect Park in Brooklyn from 12:01 a.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday on the following weekends:

January 7-9

January 14-16

January 21-23

January 28-30

February 11-13

February 18-21*

February 25-27

This project includes the replacement of rails, track support components and the excavation and replacement of the underlying concrete roadbed. For service between 57th Street-7th Avenue and Atlantic Avenue, customers may take the R or N instead. Free shuttle buses provide service between Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street and Prospect Park.

Customers may visit our website at mta.info | Home Page for service status information. Customers may also sign up for free email and text message alerts or dial 511, the New York State travel information line, for MTA customer service and travel information. NYC Transit agents are available to provide assistance with your travel plans daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

*Work will continue until 5 a.m. Tuesday, the 21st.

Press Release

I wonder if they will fix that "bump" in the tracks on the line between PP and 7th Ave Northbound, if you ride over it in a 68/A its really noticeable as it causes the train to bounce! :cool:

I believe they addressed the issue during the similar G.O. last year. They lessened the shacking, but didn't eliminate it completely. Because press release states that they will be working on Atlantic Avenue, I believe the chance of them working on the issue again is slim.

I'm wondering if given the situation with the (7) also in a major G.O. until April on weekends if they should seriously consider having the (Q) do a roundabout route to Manhattan, going to Coney Island via regular route and then to/from Manhattan via the West End and Sea Beach lines using the express tracks (one line to Manhattan, the other from Manhattan) with the (Q) running to Astoria.

Option 2 would be for the (N) to temporarily run express as the (Q) does on weekdays and have a special (Q) start at Whitehall and run as a local to Astoria (essentially the old (W) route).

Either way would help with the (7) G.O. in this case.

There are two threads on this subject with the second one 'Straphangers not happy with weekend service disruptions started on Friday 01/06/12. Both of the threads discuss the problems with the weekend disruption of Q Line Service north of Prospect Park.

It is interesting that the forum has two threads on the subject as the MTA headquarters issued a press release on the the suspension of Q Line service north of Prospect Park on Friday 01/06/12 at 4:10 PM (or before the suspension occurred) and NYCT issued the same exact press release on Monday 01/09/12 at 3:40 PM (or after the 1st weekend disruption had already occurred).

I'm wondering if given the situation with the (7) also in a major G.O. until April on weekends if they should seriously consider having the (Q) do a roundabout route to Manhattan, going to Coney Island via regular route and then to/from Manhattan via the West End and Sea Beach lines using the express tracks (one line to Manhattan, the other from Manhattan) with the (Q) running to Astoria.

Option 2 would be for the (N) to temporarily run express as the (Q) does on weekdays and have a special (Q) start at Whitehall and run as a local to Astoria (essentially the old (W) route).

Either way would help with the (7) G.O. in this case.

They're running extra (N)'s Astoria-34th due to the (7) GO.

Will they be doing the Q shuttle bus?

This project includes the replacement of rails, track support components and the excavation and replacement of the underlying concrete roadbed. For service between 57th Street-7th Avenue and Atlantic Avenue, customers may take the R or N instead. Free shuttle buses provide service between Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street and Prospect Park.

Pay attention!

This is insane... Why couldn't they do the work when they were re-doing all of the stations along the line?? They talk about trying to do large segments at a time... The key word is trying... :P

Because shutting down the (Q) Coney Island to Prospect Park and shutting down the (Q) Prospect Park to 57th Street at the same time means no (Q) at all. Shuttle buses would be swamped.

This is terrible still. 2 months of No (Q) past Prospect Park. Last weekend, it took me almost 2 hours from Brighton to 72 St/Broadway. I don't ever go near Shuttle Buses, so I took the (Q) To Coney Island, the (D) to 59 St, and then the (1). I traveled from 11:15am to 1:15pm. Absolutely horrible! I took the (N) to Times Square from Coney Island on Sunday to see the difference, it was slightly better then the (D). I can always try the (Q) to Prospect Park, then the (S) to Botanic Garden for the (2)(3), but that's also a shlep. These G.O's is insane. And if I recall correct, they replaced the concrete and both tracks at Atlantic Av a few years back. Perhaps they're finally replacing the tracks between Prospect Park and Atlantic then.. :mad:

This is terrible still. 2 months of No (Q) past Prospect Park. Last weekend, it took me almost 2 hours from Brighton to 72 St/Broadway. I don't ever go near Shuttle Buses, so I took the (Q) To Coney Island, the (D) to 59 St, and then the (1). I traveled from 11:15am to 1:15pm. Absolutely horrible! I took the (N) to Times Square from Coney Island on Sunday to see the difference, it was slightly better then the (D). I can always try the (Q) to Prospect Park, then the (S) to Botanic Garden for the (2)(3), but that's also a shlep. These G.O's is insane. And if I recall correct, they replaced the concrete and both tracks at Atlantic Av a few years back. Perhaps they're finally replacing the tracks between Prospect Park and Atlantic then.. :mad:

I would say though that (Q)(S) and then (2)(3) is faster.

Yeah I remember you telling me back in October you weren't into buses very much, but depending where you lied you could always try the B68. It's not very sluggish, but I've only rode the route on weekdays and never on weekends when these G.O.'s take place. The entire run is an hour end-to-end. In that scenario, you could have transferred to the (F) at 15th Street from the B68.

Yeah I remember you telling me back in October you weren't into buses very much, but depending where you lied you could always try the B68. It's not very sluggish, but I've only rode the route on weekdays and never on weekends when these G.O.'s take place. The entire run is an hour end-to-end. In that scenario, you could have transferred to the (F) at 15th Street from the B68.

Or just take a crossstown route to an alternative stations as well. Examples: Avenue U (B3)=(F) at Mcdonald. Kings Highway (B82)=(F) at Mcdonald or (N) at West 7th.

Ave M(B9)=(F) at Avenue N. (B6)or (B11)at Avenue J=(F) at either Bay Pwy./Mcdonald or Avenue I.

Or (B6) (B11) to (2) train at Flatbush/Nostrand.

Newkirk(B8)=(F) at 18th Avenue or (2)at Newkirk/Nostrand. The (MTA) should be offering a 2nd transfer for PPR Metrocards for Brighton riders at affected stations during this time as well.

Archived