Blogger's Plan to Send L to United Nations

MTR Admiralty

By the time the MTA gets around to continue the Second Ave. Line that far south, and complete it, the U.N. might have new digs elsewhere. Any ideas about a (2) or (5) service extension to Lucerne, Switzerland? At least the orientation of the Brooklyn College/Flatbush Ave. terminal is approximately in the right direction to continue there.

That'd be cool. I'd get to visit Switzerland for $2.25. Count me in. :tup:;)

The blog NY by dZine featured a post for a Crosstown L train:

The blogger intended to extend the L train to 23rd Street and 11th Avenue, via new tunnelling, and proposed to link that to the new station by Hudson Yards, in an original plan.

Now he wants to send the L, via 34th Street, 5th Avenue and 41st Street to United Nations. What are your thoughts?

tumblr_lv8gv6X2ps1r3aqywo1_r3_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1327186119&Signature=k4ZFN3wB6ZO%2FAETgvCg35djSWBM%3D

Original post

"(L) Train to the U.N." ta loca "(L) Train to the U.N.!" That kind of subway extension would make the MTA and the whole state of New York go broke. It's almost like trying to extend the (L) Line to the Canarsie Piers while running along the street level of Flatlands Av. How in the world is that gonna happen? Trick question: It can't!

My palm is coming towards my face!

Why is it needed? not only is it a roundabout-****-eyed route, but you have the future (T) train, & you can just make a new station on the (7) line, right there!

Why not just have the (L) extended to the (7)'s new terminal.

Or, you can just transfer at 1 Ave to the (T) & take it to 42 St, one block away.

Not just that but having a second inspection of this map it is impossible. Multiple subway lines cross 34th Street making it practically impossible to construct a subway line underneath, and even more impossible is his turn at Fifth Avenue, or should I say... FIFTH AVENUE? THAT IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE AVENUE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET. NOT ONLY WOULD IT BE EXPENSIVE NIMBY'S WOULD BE KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR. Dumbest idea ever. It's a great day when a future potential architect can always knock down another architect ;).

Not just that but having a second inspection of this map it is impossible. Multiple subway lines cross 34th Street making it practically impossible to construct a subway line underneath...

There are multiple things wrong with this plan, but to be fair, this isn't one of them. This extension would cross exactly as many lines as the (7) already does at 41st/42nd (since they've already punched through under the 8th Avenue Line), and nearly as many as the (L) already does at 14th or the (E) at 53rd (since neither crosses the Eighth Avenue Line). It would be difficult, but I wouldn't say "practically impossible", given that other Manhattan crosstown lines already exist.

I believe, but I'm not certain that the track depths at 14th & 8th would allow some sort of (L) extension to be constructed... just not this one.

If I could prop every last one of you in this thread, I would.

Problem is, he couldn't be more wrong with such a foolish proposal....

B35's plan for this blogger: STFU.

Perhaps Dave can hook up with Belvedere Partners and utilize his talents to design some crapitectural monstrosities Belvedere is known to construct. Including that proposed line extension with his resume should cinch that gig.

Oobi.gif

I had a *headdesk* moment reading it (and I don't even live there)!

The author gets a B for effort, an A for the map, but a D+ for execution, knowing that there are many alternatives to connect the west side and the east side (and around).

Plus the (7) and (T) will fill in the gaps (in due time).

My palm is coming towards my face!

Why is it needed? not only is it a roundabout-****-eyed route, but you have the future (T) train, & you can just make a new station on the (7) line, right there!

It would be very difficult, if not impossible to built a UN station at 1 Avenue on the (7). The Steinway Tunnel is at a very steep grade at this point. 1 Avenue is also the location of the crossover within the tunnel.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible to built a UN station at 1 Avenue on the (7). The Steinway Tunnel is at a very steep grade at this point. 1 Avenue is also the location of the crossover within the tunnel.

IIRC, this was mentioned (at least the grade part) in the docs for the SAS, I think it was the FEIS? I remember reading it a few years ago.

Then how do workers work there, if it's so steep? not that it matters, for all I care, I wouldn't even make a stop there.

I believe, but I'm not certain that the track depths at 14th & 8th would allow some sort of (L) extension to be constructed... just not this one.

I believe that station is 30 feet below street level as opposed to the 20 feet on the 8th Avenue line, so the (L) could continue west.

As said before, I would do it as a 10th Avenue extension that would likely go to 72nd Street/Amsterdam Avenue-Broadway under the (1)/(2)/(3) with obviously transfers to the Broadway-7th Avenue line and also exits at 72nd and 75th Streets on Amsterdam (and with provisions for further expansion down the road on Amsterdam Avenue).

Which is probably redundant (going past 72nd St on the west side). One can even argue 59th-CC with a station under 60st or something as a way to avoid the NIMBYs further north. The one thing about Manhattan is that there is little buildable land left, which means ridership patterns and numbers probably wouldn't change. The sprawl rather pushes into western Queens and downtown Brooklyn and neighboring communities.

That's why I would only look at going to 72nd on my (L) extension, as especially if the Javits Center is torn down and the new development takes place there, the (7) extension that will be in place by the time that happens along with my (L) extension becomes even more important, especially with all the development in recent years along 10th Avenue plus of course the High Line being there. The likely stops would be this on such an extension:

23rd Street (exits at 21st and 23rd Streets)

33rd Street (exits at 31st and 33rd Streets, possibly with a direct underground passage to Moynihan Station)

41st Street (exits at 41st, 42nd and 43rd Streets, transfer to (7) if 10th Avenue-41st Street station is built)

49th-50th Streets (exits as noted)

58th Street-Roosevelt Hospital (exits at 57th and 58th Streets)

65th-66th Streets-Lincoln Center (exits as noted)

72nd Street (terminal under (1)/(2)/(3) for which there would be a transfer with an additional exit at 75th Street and Amsterdam Avenue).

I think the west side is properly served already with the (A)(C)(E)(1)(2)(3). Just keep the focus to east which needs service along 2nd Ave and thats all.

The (L) going on a loop to the UN seems stupid. I would rather take a (4)(5)(6) at 42nd Street and to 14th Street for the (L) then go in a loop like if this was a roller coaster.

The (L) to the (7) Line in Chelsea, I don't have a problem with that, or even Port Authority for access to TSQ and the Bus Terminal, but across 42nd Street, no. You already got the M42 and (7) doing that, as well as the (S) from 7th and Lex.

I think he wanted it to go across 34th st.

Which is ridiculous. I would rather build a new line that could come over from Queens and use such a tunnel if that were done at all.

My (L) extension would include access to the PABT via a transfer point to the (7) at 41st/10th if that station is built since it would also include an exit to the terminal at 9th Avenue (obviously, (L) riders would have to walk through the (7) platform to reach it unless a mezzanine were built above the full length of the (7) station for that purpose).

And as far as the UN, when/if the SAS is built that may very well include a transfer to/from the (7) at 42nd, so that would allow those looking for the UN to walk from the (7) to 42nd/2nd and then only one block outside.

Yeah for only to 5th Ave then up to 42nd Street as per here:

Idea: The L train to the United Nations :: Second Ave. Sagas

I still dont see a point. You already got the +SBS well along 34th Street. No need for a (L)oop (L)ine.

I saw the map awhile ago, and the majority of it would be on 34th. It's only on 42nd for a small handful of blocks. I guess he was trying to solve all midtown issues all at once (and it had nothing to do with trying to serve the UN directly by subway, that was a veil). He really wanted to solve that no direct linkage from GCT to Penn/MSG. Any true railfan would have just curved the system northward at 2Av and call it a day at 125th (with tail tracks going further north). There have been many other parts of the system that have been truncated in similar means (the (Mx) at Bway-Myrtle comes to mind, as it used to continue further south and west).

Archived