NICE! Service already deteriorating!

PinePower

Veolia Transportation...

Service Fines, Disregard for Local Laws

Veolia promises to provide "orderly" transitions between bus operators, bragging about their ability to operate with unions and the number of cities that have switched providers. However, after transitioning to Veolia in January of 2011 the City of Phoenix, Arizona was pretty unhapppy with their service. So unhappy, in fact, that the city fined Veolia $3.3 million dollars for having late, broken, and unkempt buses. When a bus arrives ten minutes late, the company gets a $40 fine. To acquire such fines in a period of three months, buses must have arrived late to bus stops nearly 50,000 times.

In retrospect it's pretty amusing reading this looking back on LIB's last couple of months service with buses being pulled out of service and many runs not going out, doesn't it?

In retrospect it's pretty amusing reading this looking back on LIB's last couple of months service with buses being pulled out of service and many runs not going out, doesn't it?

Is veolia that bad with NJT's 800 routes in monmouth?? Veolia god damn mangano is in for hell Any plan I make won't work if buses are never on-time. I guess I will still take a wait and see approach. If they are GODAWFUL by year's end I sense a riot.

The busses are running however the busses are delayed, broken down and getting people around slowly and unreliably. Even if they have Metrocard, it's merely a small benefit and to brainwash people to think that they are being "NICE". In fact Veolia has poor operation records, even people in Vegas [which Veolia operate the Vegas RTC Bus system] complain about the service. Mangano has a poor decision record, he basically want to ditch the poor and don't trim down the wages of higher ranking county employees. He just doesn't want to serve the Nassau Residents good.

LIB had the same issues, it's probably a mix of traffic and the buses.

The thing is, people were talking trash(on here) about LIB already for years. Then as 2011 progressed, the issues were "because Nassau wasn't providing enough funding". Then as Veolia took over, it's because of "Veolia's track record". Suddenly the (MTA) is a saint. It sounds like certain riders riders who post on here just like to complain, and they grab at various reasons to back up the cause of their complaints. I know people who ride NICE bus regularly, and I don't hear a bunch of complaints other than the usual people not moving to the back, standing in the way or trying to skip the line at the bus terminal.

The has it's bad side, however I am still comfortable with the 's service. No matter what, a bus shows up, or there are alternatives near by. Bus bunching and late busses can be the result of traffic. Train issues are mainly due to the 100+ year old infrastructure which I respect, that is why we have Weekend and Late Night G.O.'s to solve these problems. Long Island Bus operates the same as NYCT/MaBSTOA/Bus Company thru my reviews and various rides, they barely have no shows, as like NYC Busses, however they started to screw up right after Thanksgiving 2011 because Nassau refuses to pay their fair share of the cost. In fact Nassau provides so little, even the small system of TOR aka Transport of Rockland cannot exist in it's current form. That explains furthur why Ed. Mangano is so hated.

Bus bunching and late buses are usually the result of traffic, but can also be because of slow drivers. That can affect any system. LIB started to be worse around thanksgiving because of the transition, buses had to be inspected, and drivers took their sick days and vacation time.

You cannot compare Rockland transit to Nassau, Rockland is going to need a higher subsidy simply because they have less riders, less population, and less density. Nassau needs less subsidy than Suffolk for the same reasons, Suffolk has less riders, more area to cover, less density and lower fares.

This talk about Rockland made me curious. I did a google search for Rockland's transit site: Commute within Rockland .

Here is the system map: http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/TOR_RouteMap.pdf.

Here is the Clarkstown minitrans map: System Map Which appear to run on 70min headways.

The 59 appears the be the busiest route. It runs 20 min headways Rush Hours, 30 min headways other times. http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/schedules/59.pdf

The 91 is 2nd http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/schedules/91.pdf 30 min headways.

The rest are at 30 min or 1 hour headways or so, some without Sunday Service.

I'm not so sure that it's "Better" than NICE.

There will always be people who take the time to complain, the general public usually doesn't take the time to come here, register, and post that their was no problems with their NICE ride. To me I think it is a great sign that we are hearing nothing but a few squeaky wheels. This tells me the transit system is getting people where they need to be with very few problems. If they weren't I think we would be hearing much more out cry to the news media like they did with the last couple of months of LIB's service.

IMHO a bus system like Nassau's isn't going to be perfect everyday. With so many buses on the road things happen, buses break down, and traffic, traffic traffic, come on it's nassau county! Every bus isn't going to be on time, and heavens forbid sometimes a bus may not go out.

NO company out there could make a system this size have no late or missed buses, things happen.

Even if this system was magic I have a feeling some members on here would find something to complain about and blame/hate Veolia for!

this guys . lmfaoooo

i used to watch his videos on youtube about missing runs lol i swear thats all he does . & complain

Back when Veolia hired the passenger counters I bet he was one of them on the bus, counting, bitching, and telling everyone Veolia was going to do a worse job. lmao

This talk about Rockland made me curious. I did a google search for Rockland's transit site. Commute within Rockland . Here is the system map: http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/TOR_RouteMap.pdf.

Here is the Clarkstown minitrans map: System Map Which appear to run on 70min headways.

The 59 appears the be the busiest route. It runs 20 min headways Rush Hours, 30 min headways other times. http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/schedules/59.pdf

The 91 is 2nd http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/schedules/91.pdf 30 min headways no Sun Service.

The rest are at 30 min or 1 hour headways or so, some without Sunday Service.

I made a map for this system:

File:RocklandBusMap.pdf - Wikimedia Commons

File:RocklandBusMap2.pdf - Wikimedia Commons

91 has Sunday service. Also, the quantity and length of mid-route diversions up there are INSANE.

I made a map for this system:

File:RocklandBusMap.pdf - Wikimedia Commons

File:RocklandBusMap2.pdf - Wikimedia Commons

91 has Sunday service. Also, the quantity and length of mid-route diversions up there are INSANE.

Pretty cool maps!

Oh the Sunday service for the 91 is on the side of the route map. LOL. Thanks.

I saw on some maps that there could be diversions with winter weather, I know its hilly up there so I can understand that. Are there other types of mid-route diversions?

There will always be people who take the time to complain, the general public usually doesn't take the time to come here, register, and post that their was no problems with their NICE ride. To me I think it is a great sign that we are hearing nothing but a few squeaky wheels. This tells me the transit system is getting people where they need to be with very few problems. If they weren't I think we would be hearing much more out cry to the news media like they did with the last couple of months of LIB's service.

IMHO a bus system like Nassau's isn't going to be perfect everyday. With so many buses on the road things happen, buses break down, and traffic, traffic traffic, come on it's nassau county! Every bus isn't going to be on time, and heavens forbid sometimes a bus may not go out.

NO company out there could make a system this size have no late or missed buses, things happen.

Even if this system was magic I have a feeling some members on here would find something to complain about and blame/hate Veolia for!

My concern is how can Veolia run with a much lower budget. Something would have to give, service, fares, or maintanance. Of course, the whole problem with LIB (and probably with NICE) will be the level of funding. Veolia has managed to do something the MTA hasn't been able to do in a long time, and that's get most of the fleet in running condition. But some of those Orion V CNG's are showing their age, and new buses will be needed.

There are many things like traffic that are out of Veolia's control, as well as accidents. On Sunday an N22 was missing because a van sideswiped it in Hicksville. So far they seem to react better to problems than the (MTA).

Of course only time will tell..

....and the guy sounds like a broken record when he comes on the forums.

It's not just about his commentary about NICE (while it is included)....

Like I said before, the validity of his claims are not in doubt.

No one's giving Veolia any pats on the back here, that's for sure.....

I've praised NICE in my videos too. Things were going very well the first few weeks, but then again school wasn't in session. Now that the schools are back that's often a source of delays (pax loading and traffic).

The problems out here are magnified when a bus doesn't show up or is very late. When headways are generally every 30-60 minutes, it definately means a much longer wait. In the city, most lines run every 5-15 minutes, so a missing bus isn't as catastrophic.

You and others love to often blow my definition of "crowded" out of proportion. In the video tied to this thread there seems to be some confusion. The 1800 series N22 that passed while I was waiting for mine was overcrowded. There were standees from the front driver area all the way to the back including the 2nd level. Unless others were getting off, it probably was unable to pick up anymore people. My bus was crowded, but not over-crowded. You have to remember the seating layout here holds less standees. With the 2x2 seating there's less room in the aisles, plus there's a standee limit (never enforced). The N22 is a busy line, and if a bus is missing it usually results in overcrowding. I could easily see 10 - 15 minute headways on the N22 most of the day, and perhaps 24/7 service as well. I think it gets every bit as busy as the 4. The RF-Hicksville leg does very well as it serves towns with alot of people without cars.

Veolia needs to adjust schedules to provide more frequent buses on lines like the 22, while scaling it back on lines that carry less.

I am not in love with the (MTA), and perhaps Nassau bus riders will be better off without them, but the whole process was done wrong. Mangano should've provided more funding to the bus system and made sure the arrangements (with metrocard,etc) were brought to the public well in advance of the end of the year. But it was all done in secrecy, and the contract's details were hushed until things got down to the wire.

My concern is how can Veolia run with a much lower budget.

The biggest difference is NICE bus is being run as a business and not a municipal agency. There is a HUGE difference and you cannot look at this in the point of view of the (MTA) did it for this, so how can Veolia do it for less... The reason is IMHO (MTA) LIB's was bloated, and Veolia is looking at spending the money they have in the most effective way possible.

Veolia has managed to do something the MTA hasn't been able to do in a long time, and that's get most of the fleet in running condition. But some of those Orion V CNG's are showing their age, and new buses will be needed.

Sure, and from what we have been told on these boards they will get some new buses. Veolia is working with what they have, the buses are owned by Nassau County, when they can get grants to buy new buses, they will. No transit agency that I am aware of in the country fronts the full cost of new buses, they buy buses when they get grants covering a majority of the money needed. There are transit agencies around the Country working with a lot older equipment that NICE uses.

There are many things like traffic that are out of Veolia's control, as well as accidents. On Sunday an N22 was missing because a van sideswiped it in Hicksville. So far they seem to react better to problems than the (MTA).

I have not checked on the NICE service advisory section of the website since NICE service started in January, bu I hope they are doing a better job of communicating delay's, reroutes, and cancelled runs better than the (MTA) did. (MTA) seemed to ignore anything was going on, or simply didn't care about it's riders. I cannot tell you how many times I would see routes delayed or cancelled and we are talking all day stuff like for fires or construction and the (MTA) website would say "good service" :mad: Really? My wish list would be for NICE to update the riders of any delays so they can make alternative plans.

The biggest difference is NICE bus is being run as a business and not a municipal agency. There is a HUGE difference and you cannot look at this in the point of view of the (MTA) did it for this, so how can Veolia do it for less... The reason is IMHO (MTA) LIB's was bloated, and Veolia is looking at spending the money they have in the most effective way possible.

Sure, and from what we have been told on these boards they will get some new buses. Veolia is working with what they have, the buses are owned by Nassau County, when they can get grants to buy new buses, they will. No transit agency that I am aware of in the country fronts the full cost of new buses, they buy buses when they get grants covering a majority of the money needed. There are transit agencies around the Country working with a lot older equipment that NICE uses.

I have not checked on the NICE service advisory section of the website since NICE service started in January, bu I hope they are doing a better job of communicating delay's, reroutes, and cancelled runs better than the (MTA) did. (MTA) seemed to ignore anything was going on, or simply didn't care about it's riders. I cannot tell you how many times I would see routes delayed or cancelled and we are talking all day stuff like for fires or construction and the (MTA) website would say "good service" :mad: Really? My wish list would be for NICE to update the riders of any delays so they can make alternative plans.

Actually on Saturday, February 4th, 2012 only, Veolia did not any information about Chinese Lunar New Year Parade in Flushing, so there was no notice on website or at bus stops when I asked NICE Dispatcher that day.

Actually on Saturday, February 4th, 2012 only, Veolia did not any information about Chinese Lunar New Year Parade in Flushing, so there was no notice on website or at bus stops when I asked NICE Dispatcher that day.

It's things like that I wish they would inform passengers about, so they can plan alternatives or plan extra time.

It really erked me that in the last couple of month's of LIB service the (MTA) did not feel the need to inform the riders of all of the runs that were not going out. To me it was a blatant F you to passengers. They knew what buses were not going out, why not put out a service advisory that said what routes at what times would not show up. People could have taken alternative routes instead of waiting in the cold for a bus that was not coming. I remember being on the 45 or 51 during this and a lady came on pretty upset because her boss warned her not to be late again, she explained to the driver this would now be her 3rd time being late, that she showed up to get the first bus (before the one she normally gets) and nether of them showed up. "Why didn't they tell us, so I could have taken another bus!?!" A good question.

My concern is how can Veolia run with a much lower budget. Something would have to give, service, fares, or maintanance. Of course, the whole problem with LIB (and probably with NICE) will be the level of funding. Veolia has managed to do something the MTA hasn't been able to do in a long time, and that's get most of the fleet in running condition. But some of those Orion V CNG's are showing their age, and new buses will be needed.

I heard that EBT under bid Inter County Motor Coach by a Million dollars, and so far they haven't fallen apart. (unless you count not removing the former operators name from the bus after half a month of operating it)

Just to add I've been hearing more disturbing things from a b/o I know, there's many breakdowns everyday, constant tow jobs. Even the 1800s are breaking down, such as one that died on a one way street in Jamaica and another that died before getting out of the depot. Another one broke down in Glen Cove and spilled antifreeze, which Veolia could not clean up because the mechanic didn't have "speedy dry".

And that isn't even all of it...one new driver who broke down called 911 which called a private tow and billed Veolia almost $500.

All I can say is we need HELP, but I know we're being left for dead out here and no one gives a damn...:)

Out of curiousity, are the NICE buses repainted LI Bus vehicles?

Out of curiousity, are the NICE buses repainted LI Bus vehicles?

1816 and 1839 were repainted, and those were buses originally in use on Long Island Bus. Is that what you mean?

I think nostalgia means "are NICE vehicles new buses or just repainted LIB Buses".

If So, they're all LIB buses, only a couple have been "re-branded". They should be getting a delivery of new buses shortly to supplement and replace some of the existing fleet.

You and others love to often blow my definition of "crowded" out of proportion. In the video tied to this thread there seems to be some confusion. The 1800 series N22 that passed while I was waiting for mine was overcrowded. There were standees from the front driver area all the way to the back including the 2nd level. Unless others were getting off, it probably was unable to pick up anymore people. My bus was crowded, but not over-crowded. You have to remember the seating layout here holds less standees. With the 2x2 seating there's less room in the aisles, plus there's a standee limit (never enforced).

The N22 is a busy line, and if a bus is missing it usually results in overcrowding. I could easily see 10 - 15 minute headways on the N22 most of the day, and perhaps 24/7 service as well. I think it gets every bit as busy as the 4. The RF-Hicksville leg does very well as it serves towns with alot of people without cars.

Veolia needs to adjust schedules to provide more frequent buses on lines like the 22, while scaling it back on lines that carry less.

I am not in love with the (MTA), and perhaps Nassau bus riders will be better off without them, but the whole process was done wrong. Mangano should've provided more funding to the bus system and made sure the arrangements (with metrocard,etc) were brought to the public well in advance of the end of the year. But it was all done in secrecy, and the contract's details were hushed until things got down to the wire.

No, we go by what you consider crowded right out of your own mouth in your vid. commentaries....

Yeah the buses out there hold less standees.... Thing is though, once you start seeing standees does not necessarily mean the bus is crowded.... When the bus starts becoming overcrowded, is where you'll notice ppl. start taking up seats where they have to physically sit directly next to somebody... If one seat out of the paired seating arrangement is occupied, and every adjacent seat is occupied (towards the back of the bus), ppl. have a tendency to commence standing.....

Preaching to the choir about how busy the N22 is....

Lastly, Nassau being better off w/o the MTA or not, is not really my concern (that's a moot point) - Although I wish you stop flip-flopping with who you supposedly support.... As far as the intricacies of the whole transition process (b/w MTA -> NICE), and Mangano's shortchanging when it comes to bus service, and w/e other details Nassau's public should've been better apprised of on the matter, yeah I agree with you on that.....

Archived