Late Night Map

6 Lexington Ave

Guest lance25

A couple of errors:

- the Q47 bus doesn't run late nights

- the Far Rockaway branch of the (A) line looks like it doesn't connect to the rest of the (A) line

- Kings Hwy (Brighton) is still missing its ADA accessible symbol

Despite the errors, it's nice to finally see an (MTA)-produced late-night subway map. Sure, it's rarely correct due to late night construction, but it does riders some idea of what services are running at that time. Perhaps the agency should consider placing some in high-traffic stations alongside the daytime map so riders can stop looking for lines that aren't running at that time, like the (5) and (B) in Manhattan.

A couple of errors:

- the Q47 bus doesn't run late nights

- the Far Rockaway branch of the (A) line looks like it doesn't connect to the rest of the (A) line

- Kings Hwy (Brighton) is still missing its ADA accessible symbol

While we're at it, the Atlantic and Lower Montauk Branches of the LIRR shouldn't be there either.

Still, I love this map.

As much as I like this map, even in this age of technological bliss where we can access service advisories, maps and train schedules all on the internet, I still prefer the older maps where they have the chart of each train line indicating their weekday/weekend/late night routes. The only map that is posted in the trains and stations is the weekday map which doesn't help tourists in the weekend who are already confused by the GO's in the weekend. Sometimes I forget if the (E) runs local or express in Queens in the weekends/late nights. Just my opinion.

Not bad! Makes me wonder if they were inspired by the late night maps at nycsubway.org ;)!

I would of made the (A) Lefferts shuttle, the YELLOW (S), especially since the signs are up all the time.

I'm assuming a weekend map is coming next?

Could be, but who knows.. With all these G/Os packing the weekends, who knows if its worth it...

I would of made the (A) Lefferts shuttle, the YELLOW (S), especially since the signs are up all the time.

Could be, but who knows.. With all these G/Os packing the weekends, who knows if its worth it...

The yellow (S): Why do they do it that way anyway?

The late nights are packed with GO's too, so a weekend map is not out of the question. But they're probably just going to redirect people to the "weekender" confusing blinkdot map.

The yellow (S): Why do they do it that way anyway?

The late nights are packed with GO's too, so a weekend map is not out of the question. But they're probably just going to redirect people to the "weekender" confusing blinkdot map.

Well, why have a yellow (S) signed up for the shuttle then? Some what same question more or like. Dk if there are confused passengers who want the lefferts (A) shuttle, but see a yellow BMT (S) instead.

So I have le map and I have to say, it looks very GTAIV to me. And they seem to be really popular since i was at the annex for 5 minutes and like 3 people came in looking for them. That and the security guard was asking why people are coming for them. Even the cashier seemed like he was tired of saying where they were.

But back on the map, I thought it looked smaller to me, but then I noticed that they took away the black shadow and the routes don't pop out anymore.

Well, why have a yellow (S) signed up for the shuttle then? Some what same question more or like. Dk if there are confused passengers who want the lefferts (A) shuttle, but see a yellow BMT (S) instead.
If it's an older sign that doesn't have the new blue S, they really should use the gray (S). But the yellow one is encountered first when scrolling (the gray one is all the way at the other end), so that's why they just stop there.

Cool new map, though!

I'm assuming a weekend map is coming next?

It's not particularly useful unless they plan to have the maps dynamically generated by server-side scripts (which is very hard considering the math involved to draw all the lines in the right places and offsets).

Heres an update to the Map, which has pulled in criticisms:

Subway riders frustrated by new 'Late-Night Map' confusion

The MTA's new "Late-Night Map" -- the agency's latest attempt to help straphangers navigate a plethora of overnight service changes -- has a few problems that are leaving some riders scratching their head.

The errors include subway connections to the Atlantic Terminal and the Hunters Point Long Island Rail Road stations - which do not have overnight service - and markings for other LIRR and Metro-North stations where the trains don't run overnight.

The map also shows bus connections to get to LaGuardia Airport even though there isn't service for most of the night.

But MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan stood by the map, saying each item "resulted from deliberate decisions made by our mapmaker." He added, "They are not the results of oversights."

Donovan said the LIRR connections are there as "a geographical reference on a map that's primarily aimed at showing subway service." Even though a rider can't actually get on a train, "the connection doesn't disappear," he said.

He said the agency would "take a look" at removing the LIRR transfers from future maps.

Bill Henderson of the MTA's Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee called the map "useful," but said the map's indication of LIRR transfers may be confusing.

"I'm not sure that doesn't give people something of the wrong idea," he said. "Ultimately, you gotta look at the schedules if you're counting on being somewhere late at night."

"I have another way to resolve that problem," he added. "Restore service at Atlantic terminal."

Subway riders frustrated by new 'Late-Night Map' confusion - am New York

Archived