NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

I found this information on bus bay assignments: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks_Hempstead_Transit_Center :cool:

Nice find! Since they appear to put similar destinations together, the N43 would have to go next to the N16 or N35, or use their slots, they're all on 30 min headways anyway.

too much service to NCC 640 am a 16 and 43 leave at the same time from RF.

Early birds can study at the library :). Maybe those runs are to get people to the Babylon Branch LIRR Stations?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice find! Since they appear to put similar destinations together, the N43 would have to go next to the N16 or N35, or use their slots, they're all on 30 min headways anyway.

Early birds can study at the library :P. Maybe those runs are to get people to the Babylon Branch LIRR Stations?

The Library doesn't open till 8!

Vote urged on proposed NICE Bus cuts

The "riders union" needs to realize this is what's best for riders. Adjusting service to the budget now is better than waiting until the deficit huge then drastically start cutting routes like the MTA likes to do.

These service adjustments may also increase ridership while saving money. If the system has a surplus this can hold down fares for a longer period of time, and/or let Veolia do capital improvements such as experimenting with new services/routes, etc.

http://www.nicebus.com/Maps_and_Schedules/Route_Information/index.html

"It is with a great sense of pride that we take on this opportunity to operate your transit system. Our goal is to be transparent and honest at every turn. The benefit to passengers is that our proposed service adjustments are less than one quarter of MTA's proposal. And we have included many improvements that passengers will appreciate."

Michael Setzer,

CEO, NICE

How come the news never reports stuff like that? haha

N43 is non stop from RFM to HTC. That's what happens in change of lost service on the n16.The n23/n27 should be combined in one, since I don't see the point ofThe N23 to be onBoth n23 and n27 schedules.

I believe the Non-stop run on the N43 is to make the travel time to NCC very close to the N16 and N35. The move makes sense because it uses existing capacity on on the N43 which already travels through the campus. From an efficiency standpoint it makes sense.

The N23/N27 schedules are fine the way they are. Both of them entirely on one schedule would be too much of a mess. The N27 schedule informs them if and which N23 they'll be connecting to/from and its time points.

Another Article:

Newsday: Lawmaker seeks hearing on NICE Bus cuts

He just wants attention

Edited by N6 Limited

http://www.nicebus.com/Maps_and_Schedules/Route_Information/index.html

The N23/N27 schedules are fine the way they are. Both of them entirely on one schedule would be too much of a mess. The N27 schedule informs them if and which N23 they'll be connecting to/from and its time points.

There are typos in the N27 schedule and on Saturdays, Glen Cove passengers miss the connecting N23 to Port Washington and points north. I wrote to NICE. I expect the internet version of the schedules to be corrected. I don't know if it's too late to correct the paper timetables. NICE hasn't indicated what's going to be done about the missing Saturday connection, which isn't a typo but a planning problem.

Should the N47 be absorbed into other route. Is it used by many people.

In the MTA document of service cutbacks, there are an average of 16 passengers per each N47 trip and an average of 240 weekday passengers would be impacted by eliminating the route.

N47 is rush hour route. It overlaps the N70/71/72 on Hempstead Turnpike, N50 on Newbridge Road, and the N46 between Hempstead and East Meadow.

There are typos in the N27 schedule and on Saturdays, Glen Cove passengers miss the connecting N23 to Port Washington and points north. I wrote to NICE. I expect the internet version of the schedules to be corrected. I don't know if it's too late to correct the paper timetables. NICE hasn't indicated what's going to be done about the missing Saturday connection, which isn't a typo but a planning problem.

Which typos are you referring to? Also, I don't see a missing connection to or from the N23 on Saturday.

Which typos are you referring to? Also, I don't see a missing connection to or from the N23 on Saturday.

Look at the column headings for Saturday and Sunday. You'll see that the M-F don't match. M-F has Arrive Roslyn on BOTH sides of the Y/N.

Below is cut and paste from my message to NICE:

I found more typos but not as serious. Look at the N23 and N27 schedules The arrival time at Roslyn for the northbound N23 in the N23 schedule should be the same arrival time for the northbound N23 in the N27 schedule. The N23 shows arrival time at Roslyn at :00 and :30 but the N27 shows arrival time at Roslyn at :59 and :29. They're only off one minute but they should be the same times.

Saturday and Sunday schedules look OK in terms of no typos. However, in terms of the Saturday schedule, there is no connection from the southbound N27 to the northbound N23. On other days, you can make a Glen Cove to Manhorhaven connection at Roslyn.

Look at the column headings for Saturday and Sunday. You'll see that the M-F don't match. M-F has Arrive Roslyn on BOTH sides of the Y/N.

Below is cut and paste from my message to NICE:

I found more typos but not as serious. Look at the N23 and N27 schedules The arrival time at Roslyn for the northbound N23 in the N23 schedule should be the same arrival time for the northbound N23 in the N27 schedule. The N23 shows arrival time at Roslyn at :00 and :30 but the N27 shows arrival time at Roslyn at :59 and :29. They're only off one minute but they should be the same times.

Saturday and Sunday schedules look OK in terms of no typos. However, in terms of the Saturday schedule, there is no connection from the southbound N27 to the northbound N23. On other days, you can make a Glen Cove to Manhorhaven connection at Roslyn.

Ah I see some of those issues now.

I don't believe there is supposed to be an intentional connection between the southbound N27 and northbound N23, only in the same direction.

Is anyone going to try the N23/N27 hybrid route just to see how it works?

Ah I see some of those issues now.

I don't believe there is supposed to be an intentional connection between the southbound N27 and northbound N23, only in the same direction.

Is anyone going to try the N23/N27 hybrid route just to see how it works?

I understand that the N23 and N27 schedules might be coordinated for passengers to continue in the SAME direction. However, there's a minimal wait to reverse direction on the other days of the week. I'm only talking about adjusting the Saturday schedule by two minutes. It seems easier to change the N27 schedule to always arrive ahead of the N23 since the Roslyn Station is the most important time point on the route for N27. I don't know if N27 interlines with N21 in Glen Cove. If it does, it could make the schedule adjustment more difficult.

I look forward to NICE's response and will post it here.

Should the N47 be absorbed into other route. Is it used by many people.

should be combined w/ the n46 for sure...

Follow normal n47 until East Meadow Loop. @ Newbridge and North Jerusalem, the n47 absorbs the n46 to Bellmore. AM/PM loop service would still exist. AM toward Bellmore via Prospect/East Meadow and AM toward Hempstead via Hempstead Tpke...

PM vice versa. I'm pretty sure that would work...

should be combined w/ the n46 for sure...

Follow normal n47 until East Meadow Loop. @ Newbridge and North Jerusalem, the n47 absorbs the n46 to Bellmore. AM/PM loop service would still exist. AM toward Bellmore via Prospect/East Meadow and AM toward Hempstead via Hempstead Tpke...

PM vice versa. I'm pretty sure that would work...

N47 who uses it why does it run its mostly empty. N46 should just get powered up then rerouted to roosevelt field via nassau hub and eisenhower park.

I understand that the N23 and N27 schedules might be coordinated for passengers to continue in the SAME direction. However, there's a minimal wait to reverse direction on the other days of the week. I'm only talking about adjusting the Saturday schedule by two minutes. It seems easier to change the N27 schedule to always arrive ahead of the N23 since the Roslyn Station is the most important time point on the route for N27. I don't know if N27 interlines with N21 in Glen Cove. If it does, it could make the schedule adjustment more difficult.

I look forward to NICE's response and will post it here.

The N21 would be cut to run during rush hours only, so there wouldn't be any interlining on Saturday.

I'm too lazy to check. Do they have the N27-N20 connection on the timetable as well (for N21 riders)?

N47 who uses it why does it run its mostly empty. N46 should just get powered up then rerouted to roosevelt field via nassau hub and eisenhower park.

The N21 would be cut to run during rush hours only, so there wouldn't be any interlining on Saturday.

I'm too lazy to check. Do they have the N27-N20 connection on the timetable as well (for N21 riders)?

The only connecting service on the N27 timetable is with N23 because N23 is a continuation of former N27 service.

The only connecting service on the N27 timetable is with N23 because N23 is a continuation of former N27 service.

Right, they don't mention any timed connections between the N20 and N27 at all, though they're scheduled to connect.

Looking at the schedules, during the hours that the currently N21 runs on they have eastbound N20's scheduled to arrive at Glen Cove Road about 10 mins before the N27 to Glen Cove on Weekdays and Saturdays. On Sunday's it's 5 mins.

South-westbound on Saturdays they have Roslyn LIRR Bound N27s' Scheduled to get to Northern Blvd 6 mins before the N20 to Flushing, Sundays and weekdays its 4 mins.

Right, they don't mention any timed connections between the N20 and N27 at all, though they're scheduled to connect.

Looking at the schedules, during the hours that the currently N21 runs on they have eastbound N20's scheduled to arrive at Glen Cove Road about 10 mins before the N27 to Glen Cove on Weekdays and Saturdays. On Sunday's it's 5 mins.

South-westbound on Saturdays they have Roslyn LIRR Bound N27s' Scheduled to get to Northern Blvd 6 mins before the N20 to Flushing, Sundays and weekdays its 4 mins.

I don't know if the N21/27 connection is planned or is a coincidence.