NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

With discussions with a few people on the n21/n27/n23 changes. This is what should be done instead.

-The n21 should have reduced service [or even better, full service] during off-peak hours INSTEAD of no service.

-The n27 should NOT be cut back to Roslyn LIRR, rather have it's current routing, even with reduced service.

-The n23 should NOT run to Hempstead T.C., it should retain it's routing and maybe head to Roosevelt Field.

-The n80/81/73 should be running Peak Hour Service ONLY.

-The n74 would mitigate the lost service on the n80/81/73 without breaking a sweat.

How does running the N74 on Wantagh Avenue mitigate lost service on the N80/N81 on Hicksville Road?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see JFK, LIRR to the airtrain is simple and affordable. It would be nice to have a bus going to the terminals instead of having to walk from the airtrain, also during peak hours it sucks having to get on the LIRR when it is packed carry around all of your luggage.

I try to avoid LGA because I have to take supershuttle, and it costs about $50 plus tips, cabs are a lot more money. You can't say supershuttle is faster than a bus because the last time I took Supershuttle to LGA they picked me up (like a half hour early so I had to rush around bc I wasn't ready yet), drove me all the way to commack, picked up some guy and then drove us to LGA. Not to mention I was dropped off an hour and 45 minutes before a 6(something) flight so there a lot of sitting around.

Sure people splurge when they are going on vacation, but in this economy don't you think people would want to save the extra $50 to $100 bucks and spend it something on their vacation? There are also a lot of people on LI who travel for work/business...

I think there could be a good market for express bus service from certain LIRR stations to LGA with comfoprtable seats and a place to store bags under the coach (or on racks in the bus like parking lot shuttles) if there was a good ad campaign making people aware of the service.

LGA TO LIRR well that was what my BQE LES/williamsburg-LGA line was for actually with stops at woodside and jackson heights. LGA to LI can work Since the LIRR is nowhere near there. Try N21/27 over LIE to LGA with limited stops between for best connections. FYI N21/27 idea is based on april proposals!!!!!

Edited by qjtransitmaster

If I was NICE Bus Designer

N2/N8: Begins along Convent Av.

N2 goes counterclockwise and return follows N8 to Franklin Sq, then via Tulip Av.

N8 goes clockwise to Green Acres Mall, then up N2 to Dutch Broadway, follows N2 via Franklin Av to Tulip Av.

This way, people along Franklin Av between Tulip Av & Dutch Broadway wouldn't lose direct bus to/from Green Acres Mall.

N23/N27:

Without changing N27, I would just extend N23 via Old Country Rd to Roosevelt Field Mall via Old County Rd.

N24: Keep as it is.

N78/N79: Keep as it is.

N21: Keep as it is. Bryant Av and Shore Rd customers will not have to walk or drive to nearby N27 or N20 bus stop during off-peak.

Riders Union Demands Answers From NICE | Verizon FiOS1 News - Long Island

The Long Island Bus Riders Unions are addressing the owners of NICE buses on the cutting of bus routes. NICE announced last month that they would cut some of their bus services due to low day ridership. In return, the Riders Union is demanding the documents showing ridership impact data claiming that mid-day and weekend ridership accounts for nearly 25 percent of ridership totals and the cuts will hurt riders.

The service cuts are set to take effect April 8.

Mid-Day and Weekday ridership could possibly account for nearly 25% of ridership totals, but I highly doubt that the routes affected constitute a majority of that ridership. Maybe 0.25%

I was on the Southern State Parkway last Saturday, As I approached the Merrick Ave exit I saw a N51 going northbound across the overpass. There was either ONE passenger standing by the door, or a traffic counter or something, the rest of the bus was EMPTY.

I was on the Southern State Parkway last Saturday, As I approached the Merrick Ave exit I saw a N51 going northbound across the overpass. There was either ONE passenger standing by the door, or a traffic counter or something, the rest of the bus was EMPTY.

The N51 is not THE most used route in the NICE system. But the N45 is muchmuchmuchmuch worse. The N45 probably averages 1 or 2 people a trip. The N51 can actually pick up passengers (7:40ish out of Merrick and others). Not all the N51s are empty. Some probably are full 1/3ish. Maybe 1/2 the bus was full at most I've ever seen it.

But today i saw an N51 with an N58 LED display in front, stuck in the middle of transferring screens. Although on the back, it read N51. weird.

The N51 is not THE most used route in the NICE system. But the N45 is muchmuchmuchmuch worse. The N45 probably averages 1 or 2 people a trip. The N51 can actually pick up passengers (7:40ish out of Merrick and others). Not all the N51s are empty. Some probably are full 1/3ish. Maybe 1/2 the bus was full at most I've ever seen it.

But today i saw an N51 with an N58 LED display in front, stuck in the middle of transferring screens. Although on the back, it read N51. weird.

Well since the N43 was created the N45 performed at low levels. Before that the N45 was very full. The N43 actually has ridership since it connects Roosevelt Field to Freeport in One Route. Rather than taking the N40/N41 to the N22.

Well since the N43 was created the N45 performed at low levels. Before that the N45 was very full. The N43 actually has ridership since it connects Roosevelt Field to Freeport in One Route. Rather than taking the N40/N41 to the N22.

I'm just trying to prove that the N51 souldnt be completely cut because it does pick up some people on saturday

when will those riders meet

UOTE=FamousNYLover;531954]If I was NICE Bus Designer

N2/N8: Begins along Convent Av.

N2 goes counterclockwise and return follows N8 to Franklin Sq, then via Tulip Av.

N8 goes clockwise to Green Acres Mall, then up N2 to Dutch Broadway, follows N2 via Franklin Av to Tulip Av.

This way, people along Franklin Av between Tulip Av & Dutch Broadway wouldn't lose direct bus to/from Green Acres Mall.

N23/N27:

Without changing N27, I would just extend N23 via Old Country Rd to Roosevelt Field Mall via Old County Rd.

N24: Keep as it is.

N78/N79: Keep as it is.

N21: Keep as it is. Bryant Av and Shore Rd customers will not have to walk or drive to nearby N27 or N20 bus stop during off-peak.

ok about meetings which one did u invite me too?

Was the N45 on 1 hour headways back then also? Was most ridership along Uniondale Ave only?

I think most people going to Roosevelt Field/NCC from Freeport/Roosevelt took the N40/N41 and transferred in Hempstead, not Mineola.

I'm just trying to prove that the N51 souldnt be completely cut because it does pick up some people on saturday

What do you think they should do? Reduce headways?

Large private transit company lobbies Congress to gut public transit funding - National Green Transportation | Examiner.com

Another NICE article. It mentions the service adjustments so I guess it goes in this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated to the article above:

I was thinking of how the N22/N23/N24/N27/N78/N79 route changes are kinda interesting.

Right now you have the N15,N22,N14,N78/N79 running on Old Country Road from Mineola to Roosevelt Field. Basically that is too much service, because most riders are thru riding along Old Country Road. I don't see many buses stopping between County Seat Dr and One Old Country Road. Essentially there's redundant service. Also many riders who want to continue along Old Country Road have to Transfer to the N78/79. Those on the N23 wanting to go to the mall have to transfer in Mineola to to the N22/N24 or N78/79.

Ok lets analyze:

-N15 already a well used route, not always "full" along Old Country Road, runs frequently. Will be 15 min headyways rush; 20 mins midday.

-N22: Busy route. Because of splitting of service (N22/N22A/N22l/N22X) only the N22 will serve Old Country Road. The N22A will only serve the Clinton Rd Stop, the N22L avoids it completely, N22X is express to/from the mall. Each N22 service will run every 30 mins.

-N23: The N23 Will still go to Mineola during peak periods. If riders want to go to Roosevelt Field, they will have to transfer to the N22 or N24 which should have room for those passengers, Not virtually empty N78/N79's. During all other times, instead of having to deal with transferring, the N23 will go directly to the Mall, (and Hempstead) so there will be less need for Old County Road Service.

-N24,N78/N79: The N78/N79 runs at a combined 30 min headyway, the N24 already runs at 30 min headways. By extending the N24 to Hicksville you provide the same service Between Mineola and Hicksville without the redundancy. It also provides a one seat ride to Jamaica without having to transfer at Roosevelt Field or Mineola. The N78/79 has large turnover at the Hicksville Train Station anyway, most ridership is west of the Hicksville LIRR but they needed the N78 for the combined 30 min headways. Now, since the N24 will provide that service, they can reduce the N78 to rush hours only as that's the only time the unique segment of the line was used, and the N79 can remain on hourly headways. If N79 ridership increases, this change will make it easier to increase N79 headways to every 45 mins at minimal cost if necessary.

So now the Old Country Road corridor west of the mall, will have it's service reduced, while having buses more fully utilized and making it easier to get to all the restaurants/source mall etc, along Old Country Road.

-N27: Roslyn Road is essentially a Residential street, most riders are probably thru riders between the Roslyn LIRR station and Jericho Turnpike. On the other side of the tracks the N23 is making the same journey, but serving a commercial strip. So they decided to reroute the N23 along the N27 south of Jericho Turnpike. And have anyone going towards Glen Cove make a timed Transfer at the Roslyn RR station. They probably found that most riders transfer at Mineola to go towards the Mall anyway.

[if there are 15 people Northbound on the N23 from Jericho Tpke and 15 on the N27 Northbound, you might as well have 30 people on the N23 go up to the Roslyn LIRR, and have those 15 people Transfer to the N27, then when the N27 gets to Northern Blvd, more people transferring from the N20 can fill that bus up since the N21 doesn't get much riders north of Northern Blvd off peak]. Pinepower used to talk about "Crowded" N27's but those seemed to be during rush hours after missing runs and also seem to be south of Roslyn Road, the route that the modified N23 will take.

Edited by N6 Limited

Adam's got that photography swag, his stuff is in almost every article involving LIB/NICE... even in the NCC newspaper when the privatization business was going down they used (and credited him for) one of his old LIB photos of an N16 at the DSS building. (They did spell his surname wrong, though...)

But why would a transit company lobby against its own ****? This is some garbage.

Adam's got that photography swag, his stuff is in almost every article involving LIB/NICE... even in the NCC newspaper when the privatization business was going down they used (and credited him for) one of his old LIB photos of an N16 at the DSS building. (They did spell his surname wrong, though...)

But why would a transit company lobby against its own ****? This is some garbage.

What is DSS?