NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My plan rather:

n48/n49/n50 - Existing service levels, no modifications.

n73/74 - Plainview extension during peak hours/all other times Broadway Mall.

Note: A transfer doesn't hurt, the n79 schedule just have to be aligned and allow delay time, e.t.c. Also, ridership data suggests that the n79 has more passengers via Old Country Road./Roosevelt Field Mall/Mineola, the Hempstead routes wouldn't gain ridership.

Yeah, obviously during the height of the shopping season, as for the n22 via Northern State/Grand Central, I don't think turns are the problem, the parkway actually would speed up the route, however the main concern is Clearance, I have to examine data closely, and lane-by-lane Clearance at each overpass.

1) Depending on which specific overpass, and notice that most bridges/overpasses are curved so you'd have to look at lane-by-lane data.

2) I am still looking at a viable routing since it's not implemented yet, however I don't know what the (MTA) and NYC/NYSDOT would say, I also need to look at data specifics and travel patterns, so keep tuned.

3) Understand we are targeting the regulars who cannot afford a car and the Long Island Railroad most likely. However, I'd still think that the Bus System needs to be more welcoming toward bus riders and reliable, this is not the case as of now, especially with funding issues from Government -> Transit Agency.

I actually think the system should try to get new riders and reach out to non transit users who normally drive try to reduce car use a side effect more reliable service.

On april 8, NICE bus plans to majorly improve some lines.

This is from the NICE site: LINK

We are adding two new Express routes (n6X and n22X) to make it faster to get to the 179th Street subway station in Jamaica in rush hours. There’s no extra charge for riding an Express bus.

We are improving the N22L and many other routes.

We are adding running times on busy routes so schedules synch up and people can make better connections.

We are coordinating schedules better with the LIRR.

Service to Mercy Medical Center will be restored.

There is no increase in fares.

No routes are being eliminated.

SERVICE IMPROVEMENTS/NEW LINES

n4: there are no longer any short-turns

n6 Express: This new express route will replace the N6L and will operate from Hempstead Transit Center to the 179th Street/Hillside Avenue Subway Station in Jamaica. The bus will make limited stops in Hempstead then run express between Westminster Road and 179th Street. We believe that commuters will really appreciate this new express service to the 179th Street subway station! Service will operate every 10 minutes. For customers traveling west of 179th Street in Jamaica or to local stops between Hempstead and 165th Street Terminal, please use the n6 local.

n6 Local: Based on customer feedback and independent research, running time will be added on the n6. Also, to reduce crowding between 7pm and 8pm, additional trips will operate eastbound to Hempstead.

n17: This new route will offer restored service to Mercy Medical Center running from Rockville Centre and the Hempstead Transit Center.

n20/21: Based on customer feedback and independent research, running time will be added on the n20/21.

n22 Express: This new express route will run between Hicksville and Jamaica and will make local stops between Hicksville and Roosevelt Field. The route will then run express to the 179th Street/Hillside Avenue Subway station in Jamaica. From 179th, it will make all local stops to the 165th Street Bus Terminal.

n22 Limited: Will no longer operate via Old Country Road and Mineola Blvd between Hicksville and Jamaica to provide a faster trip. For service along the corridor, please use the n22 local or express.

n25: Based on customer feedback and independent research, running time changes and additional resources will be added to the route to improve on time performance.

n40/41: Based on customer feedback and independent research, additional northbound trips will be added on the n40/41 between 8am and 9am to reduce crowding.

n43: Midday service and Saturday service will operate every 30 minutes instead of every 45. Weekday service to Hempstead Transit Center will also be added.

n72: Based on customer feedback and independent research, additional westbound trips will be added at the start of service.

However, not all is additions. Cuts/Service changes are being made

n2/n8: These two routes will be combined to run in a loop as described below:

n2: The n2 will travel along its current route from Covert Avenue to Green Acres Mall but instead of turning around at the mall, it will continue along the n8’s route northwards up Hook Creek Blvd, Dutch Broadway and then back to Covert Avenue.

n8: The n8 will no longer run along Franklin Avenue. Service will begin at Covert Avenue along with the n2 and continue west on Dutch Broadway and Hook Creek Road toward the Green Acres Mall. From the Mall, the n8 will continue eastwards towards the Valley Stream LIRR and follow the n2 route back to Covert Avenue

n4: Peak service will operate every 10 minutes instead of every 7.5, in both directions. All trips will operate from Jamaica to Freeport eastbound and Freeport to Jamaica westbound.

n6 Local: Peak service will operate every 10 minutes in both directions. n6 midday and Saturday service will now operate every 12 minutes instead of every 10, in both directions. Additional service will be provided eastbound between 7pm and 8pm to reduce crowding.

n14: Morning service will operate every 20 to 25 minutes, timed to the express trains from Rockville Centre to Penn Station. Afternoon service will operate every 20 to 25 minutes, timed to the express trains arriving at Rockville Centre from Penn Station.

n15: Midday and Saturday service will operate every 20 minutes instead of 15.

n16: Stops between Rockville Centre and Silver Lake will be discontinued. Trips that only operate between Hempstead and Roosevelt Field will be eliminated. They will be replaced by the n43 that will be extended to Hempstead.

n19: Peak service will operate every 30 to 40 minutes instead of every 20 to 30 minutes. Midday service will run every 60 minutes instead of every 30. Saturday service will operate every 60 minutes instead of every 30.

n20: Peak service will operate every 5 to 10 minutes. Midday and Saturday service will run every 20 minutes from Great Neck/Roslyn to Flushing. Saturday service to Hicksville will not change. The n20 Sunday service will run every 30 minutes from Great Neck/Roslyn to Flushing. Hicksville service will still operate every 60 minutes. Please consult your schedule for departure changes.

n21: This service will operate peak hours only. For service midday, nights and weekends, please use the n27 with a timed transfer to reach the n20 at Glen Cove Road/Northern Blvd.

n23: Peak service will operate between Manorhaven and the Mineola Intermodal Center. Service will not be available at stops along Willis Avenue between Hillside Avenue and Mineola during mid-day, nights and weekends. The n23 will instead run on Roslyn Road south of Hillside Avenue along the n27 route to Roosevelt Field and Hempstead. Midday trips will operate into 60 Charles Lindbergh. For service to Mineola during these off peak hours, please transfer to the n22 at Hillside/Willis Avenues.

n24: A new branch will operate to Hicksville LIRR via Old Country Road. Service to 60 Charles Lindbergh will be eliminated. Peak service will operate every 15 minutes instead of every 10, in both directions. Buses will alternate between Hicksville LIRR and East Meadow. Midday service will operate every 30 minutes between Hicksville and Jamaica via Roosevelt Field and Mineola Intermodal Center. Service to East Meadow will only operate during the peak, for midday service please use the N51. Service to 60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd will be available via transfer to the n16, n23 (midday)/n27 (peak). Please consult your schedule

n27: Peak service will operate between Glen Cove and Hempstead. Midday, night and weekend service will only operate between Glen Cove and Roslyn LIRR. For service midday, nights and weekends between Roslyn LIRR and Roosevelt Field/Hempstead, please transfer to the n23 at Roslyn LIRR. Stops along Roslyn Road between Roslyn LIRR and Hillside Avenue will not have service during these times. Some n27 trips will operate into 60 Charles Lindbergh.

n31/32: Midday service on this combined route will be available every 20 minutes instead of every 15.

n45: This service will operate during peak hours only. Saturday service will be discontinued. For service along Uniondale Avenue to Roosevelt Field, please use the n43. For service between Uniondale Avenue and Bellmore, please use the n51 (weekdays) or the n43 to the n19.

n48/N49 Midday service on this combined route will be available every 60 minutes instead of every 30. For additional Front Street service between Merrick Ave and Hempstead, please use the n46. For additional service along Newbridge Road, please use the n50. n48 Saturday service will be discontinued, please use the N49 instead. The n49 Saturday service will, however, run every 40 minutes instead of every 60 minutes. The n49 will have some minor schedule changes on Sundays, please consult your schedule.

n51: Saturday service will be discontinued

n54/55: The n55 will be extended to Amityville LIRR, Monday through Saturday. Please consult your schedule. Midday service on this combined route will be available every 60 minutes instead of every 30. Saturday service will operate 40 minutes.

n62: This service will operate peak hours only.

n70/71/72: Combined midday service on these routes will operate every 20 minutes instead of every 15.

n72: Midday service to Babylon will now run every 60 minutes instead of every 30.

n73/74: Peak service on the combined route will operate every 40 minutes instead of every 30 minutes. n73 midday service will operate every 60 minutes. n74 midday service will be discontinued, but will be available on the N73.

n78/79: Service will not operate between Hicksville LIRR and Mineola Intermodal Center at all times. For service between Hicksville LIRR and Roosevelt Field/Mineola via Old Country Road, please use the n24, which will be extended to Hicksville LIRR via Old Country Road. n78 midday service will be discontinued, but service will be available on the n79. Saturday-Sunday departure times will change, so please consult your schedule.

Yikes... thats a huge change on the 78/79.

A little editorial from Newsday:

Veolia bus cuts in Nassau aren't severe

When it comes to cutting Nassau County's bus service, it's important to keep things in perspective.

Almost a year ago, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced extensive cuts to Long Island Bus. Some 25 routes, or 52 percent of its service, would have stopped. About 16,000 people would have been left with no transportation and 18 percent of Nassau's disabled riders were threatened with a loss of service.

In contrast, cuts now planned by the new private bus operator, Veolia Transportation, are pretty tame.

The changes mostly involve running buses less often on some routes. A Hempstead-to-Jamaica circuit will be served every 12 minutes rather than every 10, but express buses will be added, cutting 20 minutes off some commutes. A route between Wantagh and Hicksville will be served every 40 minutes instead of every 30 during peak hours; it will run only hourly off-peak. Four midday routes will be eliminated and two lines will stop running on Saturdays. Alternative routes for both lines are nearby.

This service costs Nassau County $6 million less per year than it paid the MTA in 2011, and $30 million per year less than the MTA wanted to keep operating the buses.

Veolia has been in charge for eight weeks, and the reviews, for now, are mostly positive. Some riders say the buses are cleaner, the service better and staff more helpful. An advisory panel reviewing the cuts might find some adjustments need to be made. But Veolia said up front it would rework routes and service. An efficient transportation system can't keep operating the same way in an ever-changing world.

I spoke to a driver this morning pick lists should be available for them in aporx. 2 weeks.

That means that all the decisions have been made. You can't design pick lists until all the bus schedules are determined. The runcutters are checking their work to ensure there's an operator for every scheduled trip every day.

I noticed something... the no Saturday service on the n51, and people between Hempstead turnpike and Merrick road are left w/o service.

as for the n45, no one actually uses it.

Assuming that the MTA and Veolia had the same financial facts, its amazing how each decided to solve the problem. The MTA wanted to eliminate service but Veolia wants to adjust service, without eliminations. In fact, Veolia wants to increase service on some routes.

From a financial standpoint, every company has fixed (indirect) and variable (direct) costs. Fixed costs are generally overhead (buildings, buses, and front office salaries and benefits) and variable costs are the direct costs of operating a trip (salary and benefits of the operator, gas, bus depreciation, etc.) Fixed costs are "fixed" because they don't change based on the level of service.

By the county stating it saved millions of dollars leaving the MTA, this suggests that the county was paying a fortune in MTA overhead and Veolia overhead is much less. Spreading overhead is a mathematical exercise in allocation. Possibly, none of the bridges and tunnel surplus was directed to covering LI Bus costs. ;)

I wanted to quantify the above explanation and I found a partial explanation. I looked at the NICE Veolia contract on the internet. The County's comptroller reviewed the NICE contract and came up with a variable fee rate of $87.12/vehicle hour. The comptroller estimated MTA vehicle hour cost of $128 hour. That's a reduction of $35/hour which is HUGE.

I sent this information to Veolia through the NICE website and I hope to get an explanation. The NICE website states that Veolia has found efficiencies. I want to know what they are.

This implies that the MTA is overcharging the State to operate regional bus and subway services. If Veolia can find efficiencies, why can't the MTA?

Something isn't adding up.:)

I wanted to quantify the above explanation and I found a partial explanation. I looked at the NICE Veolia contract on the internet. The County's comptroller reviewed the NICE contract and came up with a variable fee rate of $87.12/vehicle hour. The comptroller estimated MTA vehicle hour cost of $128 hour. That's a reduction of $35/hour which is HUGE.

I sent this information to Veolia through the NICE website and I hope to get an explanation. The NICE website states that Veolia has found efficiencies. I want to know what they are.

This implies that the MTA is overcharging the State to operate regional bus and subway services. If Veolia can find efficiencies, why can't the MTA?

Something isn't adding up.;)

I do know they said they got a new fuel contract that saves more money than the (MTA) did, but I don't know how much it saved.

if you want new ridership how bout going to Old Bethpage rd and then down sweet hollow road where there is a bunch of business there. as of now only one bus is over there with the suffolk clipper which no one takes. Then have the 79/74 have it go WWM Newsday or Airport plaza.

How about express airport service from Nassau County to JFK & LGA?

During the MTA days picklists were available 2 months in advance at times.

That was impossible in this case. With a planned April 8 schedule change, two months in advance would be February 8. Veolia took over January 1 and didn't release the proposed changes until a few weeks ago. It took the MTA months to analyze ridership before making major schedule and route changes a few years ago. And then there were public meetings.;)

That was impossible in this case. With a planned April 8 schedule change, two months in advance would be February 8. Veolia took over January 1 and didn't release the proposed changes until a few weeks ago. It took the MTA months to analyze ridership before making major schedule and route changes a few years ago. And then there were public meetings.;)

I know that im just passing along info. Also im asking NICE drivers to join us on here. Is the N54/55 an RVC route if it is, is it the longest one. A driver on the n43 told me that's where all the money is.

I know that im just passing along info. Also im asking NICE drivers to join us on here. Is the N54/55 an RVC route if it is, is it the longest one. A driver on the n43 told me that's where all the money is.

The running time on the N19 is longer than the N54. Deadhead time to Freeport and Bablyon is definitely more than deadhead time to Hempstead or Amityville at the other end.

I'd be very surprised if the N54/55 was a RVC route. I'd expect the old Bee line routes to be out of RVC.

The JFK Airport Bus from Nassau didn't work out well before, very low ridership, I assume people prefer to use the cabs more, or LIRR -> Airtrain, or LIRR -> (MTA) Regional Bus.

I can see JFK, LIRR to the airtrain is simple and affordable. It would be nice to have a bus going to the terminals instead of having to walk from the airtrain, also during peak hours it sucks having to get on the LIRR when it is packed carry around all of your luggage.

I try to avoid LGA because I have to take supershuttle, and it costs about $50 plus tips, cabs are a lot more money. You can't say supershuttle is faster than a bus because the last time I took Supershuttle to LGA they picked me up (like a half hour early so I had to rush around bc I wasn't ready yet), drove me all the way to commack, picked up some guy and then drove us to LGA. Not to mention I was dropped off an hour and 45 minutes before a 6(something) flight so there a lot of sitting around.

Sure people splurge when they are going on vacation, but in this economy don't you think people would want to save the extra $50 to $100 bucks and spend it something on their vacation? There are also a lot of people on LI who travel for work/business...

I think there could be a good market for express bus service from certain LIRR stations to LGA with comfoprtable seats and a place to store bags under the coach (or on racks in the bus like parking lot shuttles) if there was a good ad campaign making people aware of the service.

I can see JFK, LIRR to the airtrain is simple and affordable. It would be nice to have a bus going to the terminals instead of having to walk from the airtrain, also during peak hours it sucks having to get on the LIRR when it is packed carry around all of your luggage.

I try to avoid LGA because I have to take supershuttle, and it costs about $50 plus tips, cabs are a lot more money. You can't say supershuttle is faster than a bus because the last time I took Supershuttle to LGA they picked me up (like a half hour early so I had to rush around bc I wasn't ready yet), drove me all the way to commack, picked up some guy and then drove us to LGA. Not to mention I was dropped off an hour and 45 minutes before a 6(something) flight so there a lot of sitting around.

I think there could be a good market for express bus service from certain LIRR stations to LGA with comfoprtable seats and a place to store bags under the coach (or on racks in the bus like parking lot shuttles) if there was a good ad campaign making people aware of the service.

Burrstone in replies to easier mass transit connections between LGA/JFK and Nassau not alot to offer. One 'wild card' could be to extend the (Q33) to 61st-Woodside for connections will almost all of the LIRR lines. Or create a new route running between LGA and Woodside LIRR.

Some travel tips. If you near the Pt Washington line, you can right now get off at Main St-Flushing and transfer to the (Q48) straight to LGA.

For JFK (other than the Pt. Washington)get the airtrain at Jamaica-Supthin Blvd. As i myself travel a few times a year JFK should bring back the intra terminal bus shuttle as the airtrain is a long walk.

So hope this helps Burrstone. With that said guys feel free to create a new thread on Nice Bus connections to LGA and JFK. Lets return to the current thread dealing with the April bus changes.

I wanted to quantify the above explanation and I found a partial explanation. I looked at the NICE Veolia contract on the internet. The County's comptroller reviewed the NICE contract and came up with a variable fee rate of $87.12/vehicle hour. The comptroller estimated MTA vehicle hour cost of $128 hour. That's a reduction of $41/hour which is HUGE.

Something isn't adding up.;)

Below is the official answer from the County:

I appreciate your question regarding NICE buses efforts to reduce general operating costs in regards to our contract in Nassau County.

As preciously mentioned, Veolia has been able to reduce costs through various different methods which include, but are not limited to, favorable fuel cost contracts, reduced administration head count, favorable parts procurement agreements, etc. I am not able to supply you with a detailed line by line accounting of these savings but they affect every aspect of our operations in Nassau.

Additionally by carefully and methodically understanding the way our riders use the current system, our system planners have carefully adjusted the system to minimize the effects on riders while maximizing the savings to the County.

We pride ourselves on offering safe, reliable transportation to the Citizens of Nassau County and will continue to look for ways to both improve the current system and increase our service levels.

Thank you,

Danielle Bachor

Communications Manager

Nassau County

Why the generalities sound nice (no pun intended), I don't understand how Veolia found these efficiencies after operating the system for a few months but the MTA NEVER found them.

I don't live in the County but I'm providing this information in case a County resident wants to pursue this issue with the Comptroller.

A side issue is if Veolia could reduce costs by 32%, are MTA costs too high for train service?

The more answers I get, the more questions I have.B):tup: