NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

I may have misread the docket. According to the current map, the N22 doesn't operate along Old Country Road (OCR) between Hicksville and Roosevelt Field. With the planned N78/79 cutback, service would be lost along OCR. The N24 extension would cover the gap. That's how its advertised in the docket.

Passengers can transfer now between the N78/N79 and N22 at Hicksville.

The problem is the now very long "N24" subject to traffic coming to/from Queens via Jericho Turnpike/Jamaica Ave. When the LIE and Northern State/GCP are sometimes parking lots, both Hillside and Jericho are used as defacto alternative routes.

There is 1 advantage for the N24 extension to Hicksville. That for first time Queens and Western Nassau riders along Jericho now have a 1-seat ride to/from the numerous department stores along Old Country i.e Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

With that said, due to the almost traffic delays during weekdays along Jericho and also in the RFM area, that why IMO as a compromise at least weekdays the N79 should still run between RFM and Hicksville to provide a back-up to the N24.

And if bus bunching/delays are a huge problem for the N24 as i stated before that new Hicksville-RFM-Jamaica via Old Country route should have a rush hour 'limited' as well. If you read my posts earlier in the thread I would have a N24a Local running between East meadow and Jamaica as a Jerico Turnpike local.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They already short turn a few at Mantetto Hill Road and Woodbury road.

I see. Thanks.

The problem is the now very long "N24" subject to traffic coming to/from Queens via Jericho Turnpike/Jamaica Ave. When the LIE and Northern State/GCP are sometimes parking lots, both Hillside and Jericho are used as defacto alternative routes.

There is 1 advantage for the N24 extension to Hicksville. That for first time Queens and Western Nassau riders along Jericho now have a 1-seat ride to/from the numerous department stores along Old Country i.e Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

With that said, due to the almost traffic delays during weekdays along Jericho and also in the RFM area, that why IMO as a compromise at least weekdays the N79 should still run between RFM and Hicksville to provide a back-up to the N24.

And if bus bunching/delays are a huge problem for the N24 as i stated before that new Hicksville-RFM-Jamaica via Old Country route should have a rush hour 'limited' as well. If you read my posts earlier in the thread I would have a N24a Local running between East meadow and Jamaica as a Jerico Turnpike local.

I don't really see how a limited would help. All it would do is cause riders at local stops along Jericho Turnpike to wait longer for a bus. (You'd be giving them 30 minute service because they'd only be served by the East Meadow runs)

You know, now that I think about it, maybe the best way would be to extend the N73/74 or N80/81 down Old Country Road (and then on Sundays, the N79 can cover it). Those routes could use the ridership boost, and maybe the fact that those riders would have access to a bunch of connections at the RFM would give the routes a few extra riders on their portions south/east of Hicksville.

If there is a lot of ridership turnover at Hicksville and the RFM, then essentially what's needed is an Old Country Road route. (It doesn't necessarily have to go anywhere after it reaches either of those points). If one of those routes were extended, it would give them the service, but not at the expense of riders east of Hicksville or west of the RFM (because they have to put up with buses that are delayed along Old Country Road), and maybe you could get a few extra riders who are attracted to the direct service to the RFM from those areas along the N73/74 or N80/81 routes.

Only ME! No really takes the 79 from East of Hicksville to West of Hicksville.
Good job seeing through my bluff. You pass my test veolia was smart when looking at the routes.

True. At Hicksville, most riders get off the bus. Then other people get on the bus. At the most 5 people stay on the bus at Hicksville. Same for the Q47. Most people just off the bus at Roosevelt Avenue to take the train. At max 4 riders stay on the bus. I wonder if the N23 will be interlined with another bus line or if it will not interline anymore since the N23 is interlined with the N79 currently. The N79 was made at first to serve areas without the LIRR to connect to the LIRR. That's bascially why NICE and SCT are about.

Yes you are correct. However with that said a merger with N48(off-peak only) or parts of N73 can be possible for the N79 to reduce the number of buses on those lightly used routes.

Good job seeing through my bluff. You pass my test veolia was smart when looking at the routes.

Yes you are correct. However with that said a merger with N48(off-peak only) or parts of N73 can be possible for the N79 to reduce the number of buses on those lightly used routes.

They could interline if you look at the times they have now 79 with 74 78 with 73.

The N50 can be extended to Planview during rush hours to keep it alive, while the N78 would merge with the N50.

I see. Thanks.

I don't really see how a limited would help. All it would do is cause riders at local stops along Jericho Turnpike to wait longer for a bus. (You'd be giving them 30 minute service because they'd only be served by the East Meadow runs)

You know, now that I think about it, maybe the best way would be to extend the N73/74 or N80/81 down Old Country Road (and then on Sundays, the N79 can cover it). Those routes could use the ridership boost, and maybe the fact that those riders would have access to a bunch of connections at the RFM would give the routes a few extra riders on their portions south/east of Hicksville.

If there is a lot of ridership turnover at Hicksville and the RFM, then essentially what's needed is an Old Country Road route. (It doesn't necessarily have to go anywhere after it reaches either of those points). If one of those routes were extended, it would give them the service, but not at the expense of riders east of Hicksville or west of the RFM (because they have to put up with buses that are delayed along Old Country Road), and maybe you could get a few extra riders who are attracted to the direct service to the RFM from those areas along the N73/74 or N80/81 routes.

If you going to run the N79 on sundays only Checkmate then you might as well run it 7 days a week. Or just run the N80/81 or 73/74 sundays only between RFM and Hicksville.

Checkmate I know you never been on it before but from my several times riding the N79 at least 8-10 riders(usually more)transfer to the N22/24 at RFM to travel to/from Queens. Old Country in the Carle Place/Westbury area *just east* of RFM is like Hylan in SI filled with Wal-Mart, Target and several major box stores along that coordior. I don't think (other than the weekday issue of traffic on Jericho/Hillside Ave.)extending the N24 is worse idea.

I see. Thanks.

That is one way. The other was merge N80 with N20(great neck short turns only) via LIE HOV. Then convert N81 to a crosstown the N81 idea however ppl seemed to like alot. N73/74 mixed feelings It ends right at the parkway 10 mins away from jones beach if extended during the summer it's like an unofficial restoration of the N87. I heard from SEVERAL bus operators that buses CAN use the loop parkway so the parkway bus argument is complete BS to think I actually fell for that BS is beyond me. Many ppl did agree that long beach via stint on parkway can improve ridership on the N74/73 But old country is another way also. Most of the so called reductions are NOTHING compared to what the MTA tried to do I had to explain it to a few ignorant students that overblowed the co called cuts that never were. Then they were like OHH I SEE Edited by qjtransitmaster

That is one way. The other was merge N80 with N20(great neck short turns only) via LIE HOV. Then convert N81 to a crosstown the N81 idea however ppl seemed to like alot. N73/74 mixed feelings It ends right at the parkway 10 mins away from jones beach if extended during the summer it's like an unofficial restoration of the N87. I heard from SEVERAL bus operators that buses CAN use the loop parkway so the parkway bus argument is complete BS to think I actually fell for that BS is beyond me. Many ppl did agree that long beach via stint on parkway can improve ridership on the N74/73 But old country is another way also.

NO! No! No! QJ.B):eek: You never learn. There no ridership along the LIE HOV. You never heard of the LIE is a parking lot even on the HOV weekdays.

If anything the only LIB/Nice routes that could use highway service is the peak hour N22/24 along Northern State/GCP(too bad it not designed for bus use.)

And what did i say about mergering the N20(even w/ 'short turn" Great Neck trips)w/ the N80. You aware weekdays Northern Blvd can be a parking lot well into Brookville. Maybe extend the N80/81 could be extended to/from CW Post weekdays only. Have you ever been on LI Bus QJ?QJ no rude remarks to me in your replies.

The N50 can be extended to Planview during rush hours to keep it alive, while the N78 would merge with the N50.
Suggested it already to NICE in a typed proposal I made.

Right now, N46 interlines with N50 at Bellmore.

True But removing N50 from bellmore might actually be a good thing IF timed with N55/54 and N35 en rte to LB via centennial and long beach road/austin blvd.

If you going to run the N79 on sundays only Checkmate then you might as well run it 7 days a week. Or just run the N80/81 or 73/74 sundays only between RFM and Hicksville.

Checkmate I know you never been on it before but from my several times riding the N79 at least 8-10 riders(usually more)transfer to the N22/24 at RFM to travel to/from Queens. Old Country in the Carle Place/Westbury area *just east* of RFM is like Hylan in SI filled with Wal-Mart, Target and several major box stores along that coordior. I don't think (other than the weekday issue of traffic on Jericho/Hillside Ave.)extending the N24 is worse idea.

True But at rush they'd be better off letting N6X do that job instead cause N24 is a disaster at rush!!!!! Veolia put in thought when they made their proposals something MTA never does. They actually rode the buses UNLIKE MTA fatcats.

Oh yes. QJ avoiding answering my replies to his 'einstein' ideas again below.

NO! No! No! QJ.B):eek: You never learn. There no ridership along the LIE HOV. You never heard of the LIE is a parking lot even on the HOV weekdays.

If anything the only LIB/Nice routes that could use highway service is the peak hour N22/24 along Northern State/GCP(too bad it not designed for bus use.)

And what did i say about mergering the N20(even w/ 'short turn" Great Neck trips)w/ the N80. You aware weekdays Northern Blvd can be a parking lot well into Brookville. Maybe extend the N80/81 could be extended to/from CW Post weekdays only. Have you ever been on LI Bus QJ?QJ no rude remarks to me in your replies.

They already short turn a few at Mantetto Hill Road and Woodbury road.

I rode that last PM eastbound short turn (around 18:30) every day for a couple of months—bus pulls in @ Hicksville with about 4-5 riders on board, one or two get off, then a couple get on. Especially considering that that bus was often VERY late and deadheads from Plainview to somewhere, that trip is very likely to be eliminated...

The best service pattern for this area is the current service pattern. Any change will be costly both in terms of ridership/convenience and money for Veolia (since they may end up adding more buses than they remove to ensure reliability)

If they MUST change, then do this:

-N79 from Hempstead to RFM to Hicksville (don't extend the N43)

-N49 rerouted/extended to Whitman

-N78 discontinued/no alternatives

-Cut N24 East Meadow midday service

QJ you still never answered the question if you have ever been on LIB/NICE

I would presume yes, since he was at the Community Meeting and rode the shuttle bus.

If anything the only LIB/Nice routes that could highway service is the N22/24 along Northern State/GCP(too bad it not designed for bus use.)Interesting if via LIE where would you route it from from where to where now you peaked my curiosity??

And what did i say about mergering the N20(even w/ 'short turn" Great Neck trips)w/ the N80. You aware weekdays Northern Blvd can be a parking lot well into Brookville. Maybe extend the N80/81 could be extended to/from CW Post weekdays only WHY??. Have you ever been on LI Bus QJ?[/B]QJ no rude remarks to me in your replies.

If I didn't I would not have even made such ideas buddy Ohh this is a joke. Not a rude remark.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idea is to get an express bus it's NOT about ridership between it's about SPEED!!!!!!! HOV MEANS traffic immunity!!!!!!! You do realize based on reply to red LIE HOV does not = northern blvd brookville right??? The short turn N20 great neck it's ridership plus N80's Plus unknown new riders (express between areas around ronkonkoma line+hicksville+connecting buses to great neck area and other possibilities)= N80 cost of operation being slashed almost in half.

Seriously some form of express service in Nassau is better than NONE plus this cuts down on the cost per rider due to combined ridership+new ridership. Ohh funny you say that cause many ppl at great neck thought it was a good idea. So I do have grounds.

I rode that last PM eastbound short turn (around 18:30) every day for a couple of months—bus pulls in @ Hicksville with about 4-5 riders on board, one or two get off, then a couple get on. Especially considering that that bus was often VERY late and deadheads from Plainview to somewhere, that trip is very likely to be eliminated...

The best service pattern for this area is the current service pattern. Any change will be costly both in terms of ridership/convenience and money for Veolia (since they may end up adding more buses than they remove to ensure reliability)

If they MUST change, then do this:

-N79 from Hempstead to RFM to Hicksville (don't extend the N43)-N49 rerouted/extended to Whitman

-N78 discontinued/no alternatives

-Cut N24 East Meadow midday service

I would presume yes, since he was at the Community Meeting and rode the shuttle bus.

That bold statement was what I said to NICE EXACTLY in those same words!!!!!!!! Already told em that at great neck and I will suggest it again in my proposal. The N24 thing well I am mixed on that.

If I didn't I would not have even made such ideas buddy Ohh this is a joke. Not a rude remark.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idea is to get an express bus it's NOT about ridership between it's about SPEED!!!!!!! HOV MEANS traffic immunity!!!!!!! You do realize based on reply to red LIE HOV does not = northern blvd brookville right??? The short turn N20 great neck it's ridership plus N80's Plus unknown new riders (express between areas around ronkonkoma line+hicksville+connecting buses to great neck area and other possibilities)= N80 cost of operation being slashed almost in half.

Seriously some form of express service in Nassau is better than NONE plus this cuts down on the cost per rider due to combined ridership+new ridership. Ohh funny you say that cause many ppl at great neck thought it was a good idea. So I do have grounds.

Oh how do you know 'people' in Great Neck like this *merged Great Neck

N20/N80 want it? You have proof QJ?

Again your N20/80 express will 'fail' unless you can take off cars off the road. Remember Nassau is the car captial of the NYC metro area.

:cool:

Oh how do you know 'people' in Great Neck like this *merged Great Neck

N20/N80 want it? You have proof QJ?

Again your N20/80 express will 'fail' unless you can take off cars off the road. Remember Nassau is the car captial of the NYC metro area.

That exactly is what it is intended to do!!!!!!!!!! High gas prices and HOV immunity add up to the perfect storm to make this route work. Plus timed transfers between LIRR lines will perfect this merger.Remember when Yuki was there with his camera and I suggested it as an express route ppl seemed to agree with it. Next time I will record. And when I contact the great neck mayor I will update you on her response later on. Also This express if it fails then it's ridership will equal the combined ridership of the N80 and N20(between great neck and flushing). If it succeeds then it's operating cost will PLUMMET!!!!!! I have listened to others at NICE and they helped me form a strategy that I didn't have before to make it work. :cool: You don't have to believe the truth if you don't want to.

Plus another express route I will mention later will complete the idea and add on a secondary function beyond the N80/20 LIE. HINT: LIRR doesn't serve this market adequately and can't directly address it. Watch traffic patterns on LIE. There is a hint you will see.

This is actually part of a series of lines or actually part of something else entirely I will tell you the completed form later. Try to not guess cause everytime you do you guess way off base in a way that makes me look bad.

:cool:That exactly is what it is intended to do!!!!!!!!!! High gas prices and HOV immunity add up to the perfect storm to make this route work. Plus timed transfers between LIRR lines will perfect this merger.Remember when Yuki was there with his camera and I suggested it as an express route ppl seemed to agree with it. Next time I will record. And when I contact the great neck mayor I will update you on her response later on. Also This express if it fails then it's ridership will equal the combined ridership of the N80 and N20(between great neck and flushing). If it succeeds then it's operating cost will PLUMMET!!!!!! I have listened to others at NICE and they helped me form a strategy that I didn't have before to make it work. :cool: You don't have to believe the truth if you don't want to.

Plus another express route I will mention later will complete the idea and add on a secondary function beyond the N80/20 LIE. HINT: LIRR doesn't serve this market adequately and can't directly address it. Watch traffic patterns on LIE. There is a hint you will see.

This is actually part of a series of lines or actually part of something else entirely I will tell you the completed form later. Try to not guess cause everytime you do you guess way off base in a way that makes me look bad.

You're nuts:cool:

You're nuts:cool:
You think just like the MTA which is a bit sad.

well according to what happened at the meeting at great neck you sir are completely INSANE FOR NOT EVEN TRYING to get cars off the road. Look at the map then calculate travel time via HOV when you are done looking at everything then come back to me looks like you are not even close that is why transit has such a bad rep ppl like you who are too scared to try something new. The N20/80 TOTAL travel time will be about 12 to 15 mins more than the N20 local hicksville!!!! I guess yuki could care less cause one he heard but choose not to blab cause you can't hide from the truth. What I say is not lies.

You think just like the MTA which is a bit sad.

well according to what happened at the meeting at great neck you sir are completely INSANE FOR NOT EVEN TRYING to get cars off the road. Look at the map then calculate travel time via HOV when you are done looking at everything then come back to me looks like you are not even close that is why transit has such a bad rep ppl like you who are too scared to try something new. The N20/80 TOTAL travel time will be about 12 to 15 mins more than the N20 local hicksville!!!! I guess yuki could care less cause one he heard but choose not to blab cause you can't hide from the truth. What I say is not lies.

I asked about a mets express they said NO! There is no money for experimenting anything Right now due to the budget shortfall.

Okay, off-peak hours the LIE and Parkways are alright! If the highways are jammed, then route the bus via an alternate route, you don't have to be stuck with the same routing! Damn, I am sick and tired of no flexibility! And N20/N80 might work, both routes doesn't run thru super congested areas and are "interlinable". For once I kinda have to say QJ made a-okay suggestion.

(Note: Travelled thru both routes many times, know the area well).

Interesting but the HOV provides immunity to traffic jams right? cause while everyone else is stuck the HOV is still moving with N80/20 skipping most of the traffic. But I do understand what you are saying though. To tell the truth if one reads all of my proposals combined they will find that they are linked by a small thread some of em. All of em actually involve highways and streamlining of some sort on many routes and interchanging heavily in some of em.

However what would you do to my route keystone what alternates are feasible?

I asked about a mets express they said NO! There is no money for experimenting anything Right now due to the budget shortfall.

True the 2nd part that manipulates the N20/80 idea with adding an additional secret ability actually is long term like 3 to 2 years after the other immediate merger ideas take effect. I understand the budget well which is why part 1 is mergers and reroutes to garner more ridership part 2 is restructuring weak lines into something entirely different with express routes additional added on. In reality it's indirect interlining when you map it out hehe. I word my ideas in sneaky ways to make em appear different than what they are. They will soon realize that too if they can actually figure it out.