Alstom or Siemens?

Dan05979

Witch Propulsion do you prefer?

After being on all these trains, I prefer the Kawasaki Siemens Propulsion.

R-160KawasakiSiemens.jpg

Also doors are quite when opening and closing.

Sounds much better than the Kawasaki/Alstom Propulsion. These start off like a violin then a singing bird. And Doors make a whirring noise when opening and closing.

R-160KawasakiAlstom.jpg

I like Siemens better. They're both fine, but the Alstom traction is so high-pitched and it gets kinda annoying when you're on a train. You can barely hear it on the 142s but on the 160s it really does give you a headache sometimes. Now why couldn't all the 160Bs have Siemens, and just the 160As have Alstom?

I'm slightly more attracted to Alstom. Thou as for any propulsion, I love it when rapid acceleration and deceleration is done (entering a terminal, going through a switch or curve, etc) and the propulsion combined with the track gap sounds becomes music. :cool:

Here's a perfect example:

Gotta say Siemens...love the music they play taking off and its more quiet at high speeds

I like Siemens better. They're both fine, but the Alstom traction is so high-pitched and it gets kinda annoying when you're on a train. You can barely hear it on the 142s but on the 160s it really does give you a headache sometimes. Now why couldn't all the 160Bs have Siemens, and just the 160As have Alstom?

That's cuz you hear the HVAC more lol

Although I commute with Alstom R160 sets most often I gots to say Siemens. They're (Siemens R160) one of the reasons why I ride the (Q) train. It's a variety in comparsion to the sets with Alstom which to which is merely 3/4's of the R160 Subway car fleet. Then again with the Alstom sets they don't sound as bad as I thought they did. I love the sound of it when the train accelerates. The thing is the siren-y type noise it does gets kind of annoying. Otherwise the Alstom Propulsion isn't all that far off.

Sounds much better than the Kawasaki/Alstom Propulsion. These start off like a violin then a singing bird. And Doors make a whirring noise when opening and closing.

Kawasaki Alstom Propulsion doesn't make a whirring sound. The R160A (Manufactured by Alstom) makes those whirring door sounds!

In my opinion, I prefer the Alstom Propulsion (R160A and R160B) better than the Siemens. Smoother braking and performance, accelerates great, and comfortable ride! Even though they are a little high pitched from the outside, I like it!

I used to like the Siemens, but today, I think the Siemens is okay. The only disadvantage is the poor braking and it accelerates too fast! They're also loud!

Kawasaki Alstom Propulsion doesn't make a whirring sound. The R160A (Manufactured by Alstom) makes those whirring door sounds!

Yup my mistake I meant to write that, Shame on me.

I don't know if these two make a difference on a 160 for braking for the T/O but this is my opinion and thoughts as the person in the middle.

Archived