Can the MTA/NYPD actually do anything about the homeless?

CTK246

I sware, the homeless problem on the subway is getting worse and worse everyday. The worst is the southbound (N) from 6am-9am. There will be at least one homeless person in each car, sometimes two. It's also a terrible gamble going on the car you go on, 80% chance it smells horrible because of a homeless person.

About a week ago, I went on a car, and the powerful stench of feces slammed me in the face...there was stained, (fresh) looking fecal matter smudged on the seat...with the homeless man across from it.

The issue is worsening, so I just want to know if the MTA or any other force can do anything about it, and if they can't, what do you suggest they do about it?

They could, but it comes from the top down. Bloomberg refuses to hire a sufficient amount of police to patrol the system. Supervision is busy getting summonses in order to satisfy commissioners to save everyones a$$es. There's no money in writing summonses to the homeless, and therefore the city doesn't care about the problem. The broken window policy (where small crimes lead to big crimes and quality of life is of utmost importance) is being overlooked. Bring back Giuliani lol

The homeless aren't the ones doing murders and grand larcenies and burglaries. Back on topic, as long as they follow the rules of the subway, they're allowed to be there. Gone are the days where there are working restrooms at each terminal and at many stations along the line, then maybe they wouldn't stink as much.

Please, NYPD are too busy hunting down Muslims, shooting unarmed black kids and arresting grad students with signs to ACTUALLY improve life in this city.

So let's just tell everyone to take lost time and send 'em home for the night.

and not a beat was skipped

The homeless aren't the ones doing murders and grand larcenies and burglaries. Back on topic, as long as they follow the rules of the subway, they're allowed to be there. Gone are the days where there are working restrooms at each terminal and at many stations along the line, then maybe they wouldn't stink as much.

And there may not be much they can legally do if the homeless are following the rules.

As bad as the subways were in the early 1980s when I rode them, I can't remember them being that bad.

The (E) is the the worst I seen as far as homless population, next is the (N) then the (A)

As a regular E train rider I can agree with this especially in winter as all E stations are below ground. There is a concept of public nuisance which should allow these mentally unstable people to be thrown off the trains. I have stepped into cars on the E train where the stench from the homeless is overwhelming. I watched just the other day from the Manhattan bound Court Square platform as a Queensbound E pulled in with 2 packed cars sandwiching an empty car, aside from 1 homeless looking person. Last Friday I rode a very crowded Queensbound E train around 1AM which had homeless persons in each of the 3 cars I checked. I recall being at the Forest Hills station many years ago and a police officer boarding local trains starting out and banged his nightstick on the seats to wake up the homeless and boot them off. These people should be rounded up, stripped, hosed down with Lysol and then given clean clothes as their old clothes get burned. If you can't take minimal care of yourself you should forfeit your rights for the sake of the greater good.

Some people just can't take the life as it is. I was on the (A) earlier today and witnessed a very disturbing scene, a man was just going at people. Cursing and punching the seat. I just wished that someone would shut him up.

One thing that sickens me, are the lawyers who pretend to defend homeless' rights. While in reality they are indifferent and only there for big paycheck from the City.

Please, NYPD are too busy hunting down Muslims, shooting unarmed black kids and arresting grad students with signs to ACTUALLY improve life in this city.

Don't forget bothering photographers and blaming them as terrorists.

NYPD: "NEW YORK'S FINEST"

My as$!

Give that to the FDNY!!!! These are the REAL heros!

What happened to protecting us? Nah, some of them just like to play the dumb game and really make things look bad, when they are not. Same for those who make up there own rules, instead of obeying current rules out there!

Hey Mark I want you to say that to the 800+ police officers that died on 9/11 rescuing people.

Those police officers were true officers, protecting and rescuing people. Until you get pulled over by the real ******* police officers for retarded offenses (illegal right hand pass, are you serious?) then I'd say you can understand where Mark is coming from.

--Just wanted to note to you Roadcruiser1, if you were getting robbed and let's say the cops didn't do anything about it. How would you comment to that? I'd really love to know that.

Those police officers were true officers, protecting and rescuing people. Until you get pulled over by the real ******* police officers for retarded offenses (illegal right hand pass, are you serious?) then I'd say you can understand where Mark is coming from.

--Just wanted to note to you Roadcruiser1, if you were getting robbed and let's say the cops didn't do anything about it. How would you comment to that? I'd really love to know that.

Personally I know that some cops aren't great, but some are good. We can't just be ignorant and judge them because of the actions of some officers.

NYPD: "NEW YORK'S FINEST"

My as$!

Give that to the FDNY!!!! These are the REAL heros!

Watch what you say, just because there bad apples in the NYPD doesn't mean every cop is an animal. There Hero's just like FDNY.

There homeless problem in this city has been this way for years, not a lot like it was in the early 90s were there tent next to public parks. There problem is there aren't any sufficient programs to get people back on there feet. specially in economy and who would hire an old homeless man?

even if NYPD give out tickets, how in the world are they going to pay them?

Hey Mark I want you to say that to the 800+ police officers that died on 9/11 rescuing people.

Why would you bring 2001 over here? Did I say anything bad about those who died back there? I'm talking about today dude. 2012 or anything after 2010. And remember I mentioned "Some" so doesn't mean I'm an anticop. Just saying..

I'm sure most of you do have something against MOST cops. I already know a few who does.

This statement applies only to cops who don't follow the laws out there, and try to make up there own rules, or cops who go off the line without a reason. I apologize if it was misinterpreted, but thats about it.

Personally I know that some cops aren't great, but some are good. We can't just be ignorant and judge them because of the actions of some officers.

You are basically saying this: "A cop assaulted me with no intentions what so ever, but it's OKAY because the NYPD are good people; I will not sue or pursue appropriate actions against the assault."

Furthermore, like others say, NYPD will give two sh*ts about maintaining the homeless on the subway. They got bigger fish to catch that actually harm the communities.

You are basically saying this: "A cop assaulted me with no intentions what so ever, but it's OKAY because the NYPD are good people; I will not sue or pursue appropriate actions against the assault."

Furthermore, like others say, NYPD will give two sh*ts about maintaining the homeless on the subway. They got bigger fish to catch that actually harm the communities.

If you knew reading comprehension, you would understand what he's stating. He's saying that you can't make generalizations because of some officers.

The majority of them do their job- DAMN WELL. Getting and killed, leaving three teenage daughters behind to fend for themselves for the rest of their lives. That hero officer you're bashing was protecting YOU and everyone else in this city. I'd like to see you be the next guy that murderer ran into. :mad:

Just because a few officers don't read the patrol guide doesn't mean they are all assaulting every person wearing a Mets jersey. They're at work every day protecting your life. I'd like to see you man up and do that!

It's a shame that the city can't afford to pay our officers what they DESERVE and get the best of the best. Who wants to get shot at for a puny $44k a year?! So stop saying our police officers "assaulted me with no intentions what so ever, but it's OKAY because the NYPD are good people"-- I bet you're the first guy to run to the next transit cop you see because someone walked between cars.

If you knew reading comprehension, you would understand what he's stating. He's saying that you can't make generalizations because of some officers.

The majority of them do their job- DAMN WELL. Getting and killed, leaving three teenage daughters behind to fend for themselves for the rest of their lives. That hero officer you're bashing was protecting YOU and everyone else in this city. I'd like to see you be the next guy that murderer ran into. :mad:

Just because a few officers don't read the patrol guide doesn't mean they are all assaulting every person wearing a Mets jersey. They're at work every day protecting your life. I'd like to see you man up and do that!

It's a shame that the city can't afford to pay our officers what they DESERVE and get the best of the best. Who wants to get shot at for a puny $44k a year?! So stop saying our police officers "assaulted me with no intentions what so ever, but it's OKAY because the NYPD are good people"-- I bet you're the first guy to run to the next transit cop you see because someone walked between cars.

Please get your facts straight. Before you assume that I don't man up and do that. I've worked Nassau Highway Patrol, I know how it feels to be bashed on. And quite frankly, some of my colleagues were ********. Now, you bet that I'd run to the next transit cop when I see someone walked between cars? Please stop with your assumptions. I bet you are the type of people that ass-kiss cops so you can get away with petty crap.

Please get your facts straight. Before you assume that I don't man up and do that. I've worked Nassau Highway Patrol, I know how it feels to be bashed on. And quite frankly, some of my colleagues were ********. Now, you bet that I'd run to the next transit cop when I see someone walked between cars? Please stop with your assumptions. I bet you are the type of people that ass-kiss cops so you can get away with petty crap.

I happen to be a park ranger myself, so lets call the whole assumption thing off. I apologize for the assumptions, but I'm sure you can agree with me that it's tough to be constantly scrutinized for abuse and such when it's not you doing it. I agree there are plenty of less qualified officers out there that shouldn't be cops that give all of us a bad name and I just get fed up with the public berating us because of our uniform. Again, my apologies- but in today's day and age, and especially under the current administration, I'm sure you see where I'm coming from to defend myself and those who take pride and time to know the laws and respect the public like myself.

I definitely see where you are coming, I apologize for coming off like that. I guess it's just different views. I just had bad co-mates and bad experiences with majority of the encounters I had. I still have a few law-enforcement friends but that's like 10%.

There's a guy on the (1) who literally smells like shit. He cleans out a car during the rush. Saw him one day on a PACKED train, he had half the car to himself, the other half of the car was sitting as far as they could with their noses buried in their shirts.

Archived