Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohh well if you don't use your bus you lose your bus plain and simple.

Tell that to the people in SE Nassau.

Does NICE have feeder routes?

The N14 & N62 are feeder routes. If you want to consider the routes that go into Queens as feeder routes to the subway, you can add those routes to the mix.

I heard Glen Clove has lots of poor people. I think she might be one of them.

Define "lots". Glen Cove doesn't have a high poverty rate.

The N14 & N62 are feeder routes. If you want to consider the routes that go into Queens as feeder routes to the subway, you can add those routes to the mix.

The few people that do ride those routes were very vocal at meetings and to their legislators. The riders in Glen Cove dont get involved for certain reasons that I'm not going to get into here.

I think it's more a matter of complaining. Glen Cove riders just dont complain, because they dont care. Yes I realize the n27 runs to RF weekdays but they need to have the service pattern that runs middays extended to weekends too. The n23s are jammed and riders are still missing connections in Roslyn. But they dont complain, so I guess they deserve it? And here's a new rumor from a bus operator I know, the n35 may not run past NCC to Westbury anymore. The n22 is crowded enough, if that happens it game over for me in Westbury and time to pack my bags since the n35 is the bus I take and am not gonna jam on the n22 and walk past a bunch of drunks downtown in summer.

Err Isn't N35 ridership in westbury higher than it's baldwin segment? If N35 was extended to jericho quad I am very sure ridership would increase. I guess Glen cove riders gave up and switched to the infrequent but useful LIRR more useful than weekend N27 that is.

Seriously what riders?

Kay Imma stop joking I wouldn't try to eliminate those routes outright I'd look for restructuring methods to make them more useful.

The few people that do ride those routes were very vocal at meetings and to their legislators. The riders in Glen Cove dont get involved for certain reasons that I'm not going to get into here.

To be honest those routes need to either be restructured or Merged with other lines. Like N62 is can merge with the N40 easily. N14 Not sure if being a feeder is enough to make it work maybe extend then serve centennial ave to link with several other NICE lines like N35,N40/41/43/45 and it can merge with N50 and make itself useful. N50 is not used in bellmore anyway 1 person mostly nobody.

Quoting is still funky I see.

Ohh well if you don't use your bus you lose your bus plain and simple.

Preaching to the choir much. I had to run across hempstead tpk I meant deathtrap to catch a bus that traffic is well it makes queens blvd look safe!!! when I had to take N70/72/71

You do realize N27's weekday service to roosevelt field has been restored full-time right? It's on weekends that it is still well useless.

I think they need to either make N1 go to jamacia full-time or at least into queens Or bring back the LTD. If people wanted faster service to hempstead they would use the LIRR anyway. N6 has a completely different purpose. So what did you think about trailways getting you to WP directly from SE queens? On a side note.

The N1 doesn't need to go to Jamaica full-time, however they did expand the N1 to Jamaica service time frame.

Err Isn't N35 ridership in westbury higher than it's baldwin segment? If N35 was extended to jericho quad I am very sure ridership would increase. I guess Glen cove riders gave up and switched to the infrequent but useful LIRR more useful than weekend N27 that is.

Kay Imma stop joking I wouldn't try to eliminate those routes outright I'd look for restructuring methods to make them more useful.

To be honest those routes need to either be restructured or Merged with other lines. Like N62 is can merge with the N40 easily. N14 Not sure if being a feeder is enough to make it work maybe extend then serve centennial ave to link with several other NICE lines like N35,N40/41/43/45 and it can merge with N50 and make itself useful. N50 is not used in bellmore anyway 1 person mostly nobody.

No, I believe N35 Ridership is highest between Hempstead and Roosevelt Field/NCC . Its Westbury segment is pretty light.

The riders in Glen Cove dont get involved for certain reasons that I'm not going to get into here.

....because you've already gone into it enough in the past....

The riders in Glen Cove aren't all illegal immigrants.

Err Isn't N35 ridership in westbury higher than it's baldwin segment?

It is, but the Baldwin segment is needed for coverage, whereas the Westbury segment has the N22 as an alternative.(I guess if you want, you can count the N24).

....because you've already gone into it enough in the past....

The riders in Glen Cove aren't all illegal immigrants.

It is, but the Baldwin segment is needed for coverage, whereas the Westbury segment has the N22 as an alternative.(I guess if you want, you can count the N24).

The n22 is crowded enough as it is, plus you have students that use the n35 from NCC to Westbury railroad. But an extension to Jericho Quad would add service to a commercial area that would be sure to generate ridership. If you get rid of the n35 north of NCC the n22s will be crush loaded east of RF, and you will lose a one bus connection between the LIRR mainline and NCC. Rush hours you have 20-30 ppl on the bus north of NCC, off hours it drops to around 10. But that's still more than your n51 or n81! It would be an extremely stupid move, especially given what we've been told, that NICE will have more revenue and that service hours will be added, not cut. It's a rumor that came from an Ex-LIB operator, and I hope and pray that's all it is, maybe from a disgruntled employee. 

Edited by PinePower

What was that thing about rumors again... wasn't it to always take them with a grain of salt?

You're right since it makes zero sense at a time when NICE says they will be adding service. But I do think an n35 extension to serve the Brush Hollow/Jericho shopping area would help increase numbers north of NCC.

The n22 is crowded enough as it is, plus you have students that use the n35 from NCC to Westbury railroad. But an extension to Jericho Quad would add service to a commercial area that would be sure to generate ridership. If you get rid of the n35 north of NCC the n22s will be crush loaded east of RF, and you will lose a one bus connection between the LIRR mainline and NCC. Rush hours you have 20-30 ppl on the bus north of NCC, off hours it drops to around 10. But that's still more than your n51 or n81! It would be an extremely stupid move, especially given what we've been told, that NICE will have more revenue and that service hours will be added, not cut. It's a rumor that came from an Ex-LIB operator, and I hope and pray that's all it is, maybe from a disgruntled employee. 

All I said is that the section south of Hempstead is needed for coverage, whereas the section north of Hempstead isn't. It's needed for connectivity and relieving overcrowding, but not coverage.

It's a rumor that came from an Ex-LIB operator, and I hope and pray that's all it is, maybe from a disgruntled employee. 

What was that thing about rumors again... wasn't it to always take them with a grain of salt?

. It's a rumor that came from an Ex-LIB operator, and I hope and pray that's all it is, maybe from a disgruntled employee. 

Pine Power, was this the same driver who told you that the new 1840+ buses weren't going to be put on the road because of a funding dispute between the County and Veolia (and then poof a couple of days later members posted pics of lower 1840's in service)?

Where do you meet all these ex drivers?  Is there a coffee shop up on the north shore or something where you go for your "insider" info? :P

Just having fun BTW... :)

It's interesting, I've been doing some googling and interesting reading tonight.  Google Suozzi's name, look at who he associates with and then google them.  Yes PinePower, you are right there was some "funding issues" from the County's end, starting with Suozzi decreasing the County's funding to the MTA (hmm maybe it was a common theme, even a friend of the MTA seems to have gotten sick of the MTA's greed and bloated budget).

Under Suozzi Helena Williams was the Deputy County Executive..  Williams began working with the MTA in 1985, she served as "labor counsel" and "chief of staff" at MTA Long Island Bus before becoming President od Long Island Bus in 1993.

Helena Williams is President of the Long Island Rail Road (since 2006).

Suozzi unsuccesfully  ran for Govenor of NY in 2006 and wikipedia says "Suozzi's campaign was funded largely by big business, in the form of Home Depot co-founder Kenneth Langone, former NYSE CEO Richard Grasso, David Mack of the MTA, and many individuals on Wall Street who had been investigated and prosecuted by Eliot Spitzer."

David Mack was a Vice Chair of the MTA from 1993 before resigning in 2009.

Now we see Suozzi's "associates."  Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?  I can't wait to see where the election funds come from!

Either A)  Suozzi is not influenced by his "associates" with MTA backgrounds and (after already being frustrated with the MTA) Suozzi will see the value in NICE and fund NICE adequately and the county will have a nice transit system ran with proper funding.

Or B) (the more likely option)  Money talks and the MTA wants MTA Long Island bus back (or at least big wigs tied to the MTA).  Lets face it without the MTA LIB there are a few less high ranking MTA jobs out there that there "associates" could be holding!

Suozzi's "associates" figured they should get an MTA LIB guy  in office and get the MTA back in Nassau.  If Suozzi were to win, he'd be in office until 2018 and the first 5 year term of the Nassau County contract with Veolia ends 12/31/2016...HMMM...

We'll have to wait a little longer and follow the bouncing ball to see what is going on.

And Veolia donated $9,790 to Mangano and the Nassau County Republican office. They didn't get that contract on merit. Money makes the world go round.

Edited by Culver

For this campaign or the last campaign?

For this campaign. I'll check the previous one, too.

Point stands: I agree with your B option. It's about the money. The MTA wants the Nassau contract, and so does Veolia. Veolia's man won the seat, and they'll invest in Mangano now to keep him in power and make sure they have the best chance possible to get the contract again in 2017. Hell, they got a damn funding increase from the state this year despite their service cuts (while the MTA had $20 million taken from them). That's a thank you from the other state politicians who benefited from their donation to the Nassau County Republican office.

For this campaign. I'll check the previous one, too.

Point stands: I agree with your B option. It's about the money. The MTA wants the Nassau contract, and so does Veolia. Veolia's man won the seat, and they'll invest in Mangano now to keep him in power and make sure they have the best chance possible to get the contract again in 2017. Hell, they got a damn funding increase from the state this year despite their service cuts (while the MTA had $20 million taken from them). That's a thank you from the other state politicians who benefited from their donation to the Nassau County Republican office.

[TOO LATE TO EDIT]

These are all 2008-2013 donations Veolia made in NY State that were publicly disclosed (this doesn't count anonymous regional/party SuperPAC donations).

http://www.elections.ny.gov:8080/plsql_browser/CONTRIBUTORB_NAME?LAST_NAME_IN=&NAME_IN=Veolia&position_IN=ANYWHERE&date_from=01%2F01%2F2008&date_to=02%2F15%2F2013&AMOUNT_from=1&AMOUNT_to=1000000&ORDERBY_IN=N

What we're looking for is Veolia Transportation, which started donating in 2012 after they got the contract. A nice thank you from them to Mangano; and then they got more state funding in return in 2013 (which will make their bottom line look nice when their service additions just end up scheduled buses actually showing up). :)

Edited by Culver

Very interesting.  I agree it's about the money, hey that's what politics is right?  Washington is full of lobbyists funding thier M O...

I'd be interested to see what other campaigns Veolia (and the other big transportation companies) fund?  Is it only republic because that's their party of choice or "thier man" who will get them into office.

Will there be any public question sessions for Suozzi?  I'd love to hear his stance on Veolia and who'd he'd like to see run the transit system in 2017!

Culver, would you agree with me in that Veolia provides more service per dollar than the MTA did?