Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its getting to the point where I feel like boycotting NICE.

Don't see what that's supposed to accomplish. The little bit of money that you give to them is a drop in the bucket. I mean, sure you'll probably get to your destinations faster/more reliably, but you could've done that from the beginning.

Of course, if LIB was still around it would've showed up if the N73 would still exist under their angel wings.

Well, to be fair, at least if he knew the bus didn't run, he would've planned for it from the start, and might've been able to catch an earlier train and earlier N35. I'd question how much more reliable the N35 would've been, though, compared to now.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

SATURDAY FUN: The last n73 from Wantagh to Hicksville, to depart at 6:40pm, never showed up. I saw it pass heading south around 6:35pm, but it never came back by the train station. Took the LIRR to Baldwin for the n35. Its getting to the point where I feel like boycotting NICE. What a joke. Mangano can go back to the hole he crawled out of.

How fun lol...

The fact that he's even placing any faith on the system is just as hilarious.  I'm still wondering if this is his hobby or not because he doesn't do or talk about much else.

If he does this as a hobby he'd be like a bird watcher who bitches about being in the woods. 

I've asked him multiple times what he does for a living, he refuses to answers so I've started to assume he's on some public assistance program and spends his time (and the tax payers money) traveling around the nice system so he can bitch about it later..  Unless he'd like to tell us what he does for a living?

Today I had a bus driver that got pulled over and had no license on him. 2 hour 20 min delay. But wait, that was NJ Transit! :D

I guess I deserve it for dissin' NICE so much! :huh:

LMAO, you gotta admit you would've had a field day if this happened on a NICE bus, kinda priceless this happened to you on NJ Transit!   :D

Edited by Burrstone

Just a little insight on the Clever Devices turn warning system (Brett's vid reminded me). An "optical sensor" detects when the bus is turning and plays the announcement on the external speaker.

http://www.cleverdevices.com/pedestrian-warning.htm

Gonna post this in the NJT random thoughts thread as well.

Just a little insight on the Clever Devices turn warning system (Brett's vid reminded me). An "optical sensor" detects when the bus is turning and plays the announcement on the external speaker.

http://www.cleverdevices.com/pedestrian-warning.htm

Gonna post this in the NJT random thoughts thread as well.

It's not when the driver uses the turn signal?  If it is an "optical sensor" they need to adjust it so the announcement doesn't come one every time the driver exits and enter traffic from a stop.

I suggest they put a sensor on the bus that will sense cars beeping behind a stopped  bus.  A bus will make a stop, a car will beep, and the bus will say "this vehicle is at a stop, go around it, no need to beep like a dumbass!"  :D

It's not when the driver uses the turn signal? If it is an "optical sensor" they need to adjust it so the announcement doesn't come one every time the driver exits and enter traffic from a stop.

Does the same thing in NJ. And it will come on over and over again when the bus makes the smallest "turns", changing lanes, making stops, etc. It's funny when it starts to make the announcement when the bus is entering a stop and the B/O opens the doors, both announcements will actually play at the same time and once the turn warning ends the rest of the door announcement cuts off.

Saw surveyers on the n22 today, it was good to see NICE taking an interest in rider opinions, thats more than County or State officials (none of which returned my phone calls about bus problems). Of course I took the survey and filled it out and handed it to them, but they didn't have clipboards so it wasn't easy to write neatly.  :P

How did surveys look like? When I was at Hempstead, student ambassadors were checking the survey.

Maybe I could ask NICE if they could give make me ambassador, so new NICE drivers wouldn't give me hard time.

Are you in school? NICE wants students who take the bus daily to class and want to have an input their community bus service.

Are you in school? NICE wants students who take the bus daily to class and want to have an input their community bus service.

More specifically, weren't they only looking for NCC students?  Or is this open to all students?  What is the compensation?  I know they get to ride the bus for free, any other compensation?

How did surveys look like? When I was at Hempstead, student ambassadors were checking the survey.

Maybe I could ask NICE if they could give make me ambassador, so new NICE drivers wouldn't give me hard time.

It never hurts to ask!

Saw surveyers on the n22 today, it was good to see NICE taking an interest in rider opinions, thats more than County or State officials (none of which returned my phone calls about bus problems). Of course I took the survey and filled it out and handed it to them, but they didn't have clipboards so it wasn't easy to write neatly.  :P

I swear, you'll find anything to complain about.  You say it's nice that NICE is taking an interest in peoples opinions, within the same breath you bitch that they didn't bring a clipboard for you to write on.   :rolleyes:   How many people were filling out the comment form?  Imagine how many clipboards these people would have to carry for everyone on the bus to use?   :rolleyes:

More specifically, weren't they only looking for NCC students? Or is this open to all students? What is the compensation? I know they get to ride the bus for free, any other compensation?

They were primarily focused on NCC students since several routes go through there and available connections are widespread. However, they could also look at Hofstra or Adelphi students who walk to the bus.

More specifically, weren't they only looking for NCC students?  Or is this open to all students?  What is the compensation?  I know they get to ride the bus for free, any other compensation?

It never hurts to ask!

I swear, you'll find anything to complain about.  You say it's nice that NICE is taking an interest in peoples opinions, within the same breath you bitch that they didn't bring a clipboard for you to write on.   :rolleyes:   How many people were filling out the comment form?  Imagine how many clipboards these people would have to carry for everyone on the bus to use?   :rolleyes:

It didn't bother me they didn't have a clipboard, I just suck at writing without one. They were only having a few ppl at a time fill one out. 

n87 schedules are not available yet.

You know, between you and Pinepower, you really need to stop complaining about everything NICE does wrong and learn to appreciate what they are providing. Its 25 days until buses to Jones Beach start rolling which gives them more than enough time to get schedules up. Remember last year, they didn't post schedules until the week before, just like the (MTA) .

Well you know how NICE is....

Yeah, but since they're not the (MTA) , we have to blame them for everything!

You know, between you and Pinepower, you really need to stop complaining about everything NICE does wrong and learn to appreciate what they are providing. Its 25 days until buses to Jones Beach start rolling which gives them more than enough time to get schedules up. Remember last year, they didn't post schedules until the week before, just like the (MTA) .

Yeah, but since they're not the (MTA) , we have to blame them for everything!

Thank you! It's okay to complain once or twice about it but not like a broken record each time. By the way, on my statement, I was trying to get at that NICE isn't the perfect transit agency and can make flaws at times.

Two Fails:

SERVICE ALERT!: Monday, March 11th 9:50 AM n54 delays!
This just in from the Command Center...we have reported delays on the n54 route due to a mechanical breakdown...a substitute bus has been dispatched from Hicksville. Expect delays in service until this new bus can cover these trips. Thank you for your patience!

On April 8th, 2021, NICE was proud to announce restoration of the n17 service to Mercy Medical Center. The service, which transports patients, visitors and staff to the Center from Rockville Centre and Hempstead, was discontinued 18 months ago. Sister Mary Alice Aschenbach, vice president of Pastoral Care, along with the hospital's administration, worked hand in hand with NICE to reinstate service. Sister Mary Alice praised NICE by saying "They were instrumental in having this vital service restored, and we commend them for their responsiveness to our needs."

Two Fails:

SERVICE ALERT!: Monday, March 11th 9:50 AM n54 delays!

This just in from the Command Center...we have reported delays on the n54 route due to a mechanical breakdown...a substitute bus has been dispatched from Hicksville. Expect delays in service until this new bus can cover these trips. Thank you for your patience!

On April 8th, 2021, NICE was proud to announce restoration of the n17 service to Mercy Medical Center. The service, which transports patients, visitors and staff to the Center from Rockville Centre and Hempstead, was discontinued 18 months ago. Sister Mary Alice Aschenbach, vice president of Pastoral Care, along with the hospital's administration, worked hand in hand with NICE to reinstate service. Sister Mary Alice praised NICE by saying "They were instrumental in having this vital service restored, and we commend them for their responsiveness to our needs."

Typical bus breakdown and a small spelling mistake (obv. 2012). Nothing major.