Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

3 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

I just have one question! how do you know all this!? I work for the company and I don't be knowing this stuff as far as what's on what route!

I use a website called TransSee, on that website you are able to track a bus number on what route it operates on 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This dude is like the bus grim reaper, another bus pine rides has an mechanical problem :lol:

Also around the 4 minute mark the B/O of the defective Orion says she doesn't like the Gilligs.. I wonder what's the most popular bus model for B/O's of NICE Bus? I've heard an NICE B/O say he doesn't like the Orions cause of the mirrors. Probably varies from op to op.

Also LOL at the mechanic telling the op to drive the bus anyway with the messed up suspension but she didn't want to :lol: I wonder if such things happens at NYCT & MTA Bus? of course road calls happen with MTA buses I mean mechanics suggesting B/Os drive defective buses.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:42 PM, trainfan22 said:

This dude is like the bus grim reaper, another bus pine rides has an mechanical problem :lol:

Also around the 4 minute mark the B/O of the defective Orion says she doesn't like the Gilligs.. I wonder what's the most popular bus model for B/O's of NICE Bus? I've heard an NICE B/O say he doesn't like the Orions cause of the mirrors. Probably varies from op to op.

Also LOL at the mechanic telling the op to drive the bus anyway with the messed up suspension but she didn't want to :lol: I wonder if such things happens at NYCT & MTA Bus? of course road calls happen with MTA buses I mean mechanics suggesting B/Os drive defective buses.

I Just wanna start off by saying that the guy shooting the video sounds like a complete idiot as he doesn't know how things operate. YOU CANT FORCE A DRIVER THATS FINISHED HIS RUN TO TRADE A BUS AND SIT WITH THE BROKEN BUS, NOR CAN YOU FORCE TO DO THAT RUN, ESPECIALLY IF HES ABOUT TO CLEAR. Secondly. Thats all the do is PAY OVER TIME

Speaking as a Nice bus operator now. I prefer the New Flyers. Mainly 1970-1999. The Orions are good if you get a good one, but as stated a lot of the mirror controls don't work so you have to move them manually and its. headache if you can get it right with all the back and forth... at first I didn't like the gilligs, but its not a bad bus... The problem is that Tall dudes that like to sit high up can't because the steering wheel doesn't adjust high enough, so you have to adjust the way you like to normally sit. But runs nice thou! 

Normally, there's a spare bus kept at Hempstead, but I don't know what Time it was... My bus messed up a few times there , and I was told to take the spare bus so something happened that a spare wasn't there!.. But 1891&,1893 have died on me before so im not surprised 1895 died!

• 2 weeks later...

So far, the following Gilligs have hit service on the following routes on the following dates…

2093 - n15, n43 & n15

Entered service: 10/28/2022

2095 - n16

Entered service: 11/2/2022

2087 - n4, n40/41 & n4

2089 - n25, n58, n25, n58 & n25

2099 - n49, n54, n48 & n55

Entered service: 11/3/2022

2091 - n22

Entered service: 11/4/2022

2107 - n22

Entered service: 11/12/2022

2101 - n20H & n22

Entered service: 11/28/2022

2102 - n4 & n40/41

Entered service: 11/30/2022

2094 - n35

2100 - n4

2096 - n1, n25, n58 & n25

Entered service: 12/1/2022

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Real time arrival koisk at Mineola, from NICE Bus's Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl14zBbPoMd/

lvu1KSD.png

Oh damn, not on the ground....

Looks dope, but I give it no more than 2 weeks before one (or both) of them are significantly vandalized.... Vagrant situation around Mineola RR now rivals Hicksville, if not surpassed it :(...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 3:56 AM, aemoreira81 said:

Curious: with Sunrise Mall’s demise imminent, what does NICE plan to do with all the routes that currently terminate there?

Also, how high is that Gillig order going? Replacing 1840-1884 as well?

My best guess is extend the routes to Amityville LIRR or cut them back to Massapequa Park LIRR.

Curious: with Sunrise Mall’s demise imminent, what does NICE plan to do with all the routes that currently terminate there?

N71 is getting extended to Amityville as per SCT plan (presumably they discussed it with NICE). I believe the N54/55 already go to Amityville, so it's just the N80 that needs to get extended (S1, S2, S4, and S10 will terminate at Amityville from the SCT side)

On 12/18/2022 at 8:50 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

N71 is getting extended to Amityville as per SCT plan (presumably they discussed it with NICE). I believe the N54/55 already go to Amityville, so it's just the N80 that needs to get extended (S1, S2, S4, and S10 will terminate at Amityville from the SCT side)

Its Unconfirmed yet. I was just asking a supervisor about that. They may not want too many Nassau buses out there since the n54/55 goes to Amityville already.. that's what I was told thou!

top of the year we will have 6 New Flyer Electric Buses going in

On 12/7/2022 at 12:38 AM, B35 via Church said:

Oh damn, not on the ground....

Looks dope, but I give it no more than 2 weeks before one (or both) of them are significantly vandalized.... Vagrant situation around Mineola RR now rivals Hicksville, if not surpassed it :(...

For a while didn't LIB/NICE have these at every bus bay? 

Still good to have it before it breaks, wish they would put something similar at Roosevelt Field

23 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

Its Unconfirmed yet. I was just asking a supervisor about that. They may not want too many Nassau buses out there since the n54/55 goes to Amityville already.. that's what I was told thou!

Hopefully they just go through with it. By that logic, there shouldn't be too many buses terminating in Jamaica or Flushing, despite those being major hubs. With Amityville being advertised as a timed transfer point, I think it would greatly increase ridership on the n71 and n80 if those were to be extended out there. (The n80 to the S2 would basically be a substitute for the minimal service on the Central Branch between Hicksville & Babylon, and the n71 to the S2, S4, or S10 would somewhat substitute for the loss of the old n72.

18 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

For a while didn't LIB/NICE have these at every bus bay? 

Still good to have it before it breaks, wish they would put something similar at Roosevelt Field

I believe the new ones are at the same bays the old ones were at... Differences being that the old ones were much smaller, and (at least) they were overhead.... I used to get a kick out of seeing 99 (mins) displayed on the n23 :lol:...

Agree with you about RFM; the schedules they have posted at that booth/room by lane 1 (WB n22) are old... Something else they need to do at RFM is improve the lighting over there... Far too dark during the later hrs. of the day & the early part of the AM peak (5-6am or so)....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 12/21/2022 at 8:19 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Hopefully they just go through with it. By that logic, there shouldn't be too many buses terminating in Jamaica or Flushing, despite those being major hubs. With Amityville being advertised as a timed transfer point, I think it would greatly increase ridership on the n71 and n80 if those were to be extended out there. (The n80 to the S2 would basically be a substitute for the minimal service on the Central Branch between Hicksville & Babylon, and the n71 to the S2, S4, or S10 would somewhat substitute for the loss of the old n72.

By saying the n71 to Amityville (with the connection to the routes in the impending SCT redesign) would somewhat substitute for the loss of the old n72, that's still undermining the demand for service along 109 b/w the 2 counties... The shifting of where folks would xfer to buses at (from Sunrise to LIRR Amityville) doesn't solve that problem.... AFAIC, having the n71 run to Amityville should simply be about ending the route somewhere that half-ass passes for a place to end a route at, since Sunrise's set to go kaput... SCT missed an opportunity to have a route run b/w Farmingdale & Babylon via the old n72, but that's a completely separate issue....

On 12/21/2022 at 8:19 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Ridership to Amityville is not Heavy. When I do the n55, Its only one stop from Sunrise to Amityville Station. Im normally carrying NOBODY there! maybe its because of the time I have the run, but I will say coming back I carry about 4/5 people tops.... SO I don't think ridership on the N71 or N80 would change drastically.

They will never stop buses from terminating in Jamaica or Flushing! Ridership is too heavy. Especially on the n6 and n4..

Quick update on NICEs active fleet as of 12/27/2022:

Orion VII NGs: 1806, 1808, 1810-1815, 1817-1825, 1829-1837, 1839(027)

Orion VII 3Gs: 1840-1861, 1863-1876, 1878-1884(043)

XN40s & XN60s: 1885, 1887-1888, 1890-1896, 1898-1999(107 XN40s and 5 XN60s)

Gilligs: 2000-2015, 2017-2042, 2044-2079, 2086-2118(111)