Broadway Line Transfer Ideas

CDTA

The only one here that makes sense is the Prince Street (R) ( (N) Overnights) station to the Broadway-Lafayette (B)(D)(F)(M) station and the Bleecker Street (6) ( (4) Overnights) station, especially with the transfer on the uptown part of Bleecker Street on the (6) opening soon and even more so if it can include additional exits north on Broadway between Houston and Bleecker, which would benefit NYU. It would allow those looking to get the (R) specifically from the (6) to make that transfer at Bleecker rather than at Union Square and also allow for a transfer between the 6th Avenue and Broadway Lines south of 34th Street.

The other two transfers are redundant and unecessary.

The (N) goes there all times.

In any case, there's no point. If you can transfer between the (R) and (6) at 14th Street and Canal Street, there's no point in having another transfer at Bleecker Street. As for the (B)(D)(F)(M), there's no point. You're better off just waiting until 34th Street or transferring in Brooklyn.

7th Av (B)(D)(E) and 57th Street (N)(Q)(R) is pretty close.

Man now all type of foamer ideas are out of the block lol. Trainguy there a transfer already for the Bway and 6th Ave lines. It called the Hearld Sq.-34th Station. And for transfer link (I admit it's very long walk)there Times Sq. and 42nd St & 8th(PABT/Times Sq. West)for the Bway and 8th Ave lines.

Man now all type of foamer ideas are out of the block lol. Trainguy there a transfer already for the Bway and 6th Ave lines. It called the Hearld Sq.-34th Station. And for transfer link (I admit it's very long walk)there Times Sq. and 42nd St & 8th(PABT/Times Sq. West)for the Bway and 8th Ave lines.

Listen wise guy, it says IDEAS.

Also some transfers aren't going to make sense thanks to distance. Some of the transfers can be out of system transfers. This would be popular and workable in practice. An example of a place where such a transfer would make sense is Broadway (G) and Hewes Street (J)(M)(Z). Four blocks is too long for a physical transfer so an out of system transfer would work wonders here.

The (N) goes there all times.

In any case, there's no point. If you can transfer between the (R) and (6) at 14th Street and Canal Street, there's no point in having another transfer at Bleecker Street. As for the (B)(D)(F)(M), there's no point. You're better off just waiting until 34th Street or transferring in Brooklyn.

The main point of this is to have a second transfer between the Broadway and 6th Avenue lines, and in this case also give riders on the (M) looking for 23rd/5th and 28th/Broadway in particular the ability to transfer to the (N)/ (R) at Broadway-Lafayette. I suspect such a transfer point between those two divisions would be heavily used, and you would have the side benefit of also being able to switch to the Lexington line via that transfer as well. A major side benefit of this would be some additional entrances/exits on Broadway at Houston and possibly Bleecker for NYU students and such who use the Broadway line and are closer to Prince than 8th Street the option to enter for that station on Broadway at Houston and possibly north of there..

Another idea is a more direct connection from platform to platform at 34th. They do pass over each other, at a slight angle. Toward the south end is where Bway is directly over 6th Ave. (You can see where they line up on the ceiling of 6th Ave).

Hey guys as like some of you, I have been looking into some of these transfer points and old stuff that is no longer there.

Looking at old maps, videos, studies etc.

I was at Canal on the J/Z line thinking how it use to be with the old crossover ( had fun at that station).

Anyway I came across this while googling. It is in 3 parts.

It will give you an insight on what MTA, Planners and the City thinks when it comes to topics like this one.

It a study but info will help you in planning your ( infamous ) ideas.

BROADWAY JUNCTION STUDY and more.

http://www.nyc.gov/h...unction_pt1.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/h...unction_pt2.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/h...unction_pt3.pdf

S/F,

CEYA!

Nice. (Though it's a bit outdated now). Wish I could find something from there on the new 42nd St. passageway (6th-7th) they are not openign up yet.

In the meatime, I see they mentioned this:

To help balance platform loading, the Eastern Parkway entrance to the J/Z Line platforms should

be rehabilitated and reopened – especially if increased activity comes to the study area. For the

A/C platforms, stairways to Sackman Street (a short distance from Eastern Parkway) should

ultimately be constructed at the west ends of both platforms.

Not outdated until a new study is done.

This is what most will look at still when in planning.

They need to open up the old staircases, like the Eastern Parkway.

Increase activity will come to the area as we see with alot of areas with them changing zones.

S/F,

CEYA!

I mean it's outdated in reflecting the M still going to Bay Parkway (So the notion of reviving the "K" is actually in there too, and it mentioned the need to study whether that, or the (V) extended to Church would be better).)

Its good to read the study and see what has been implemented from it.

I still would like to see unused stuff get back into service.

Like reopening these other entrances again.

With so many people now and neighborhoods growing it can be used.

I checked out your blog the other day EricB, nice.

Seen it as iI was going through my Penn Station / 6th ave searches.

M train info was talking about it history over the years.

It talks about alot about others lines and nieighborhoods too.

S/F,

CEYA!

Guest Lance

They could just knock down the wall @ the BMT 7th Avenue station, because the IRT local tracks are there. For the (4)(5), they could build a platform and stairs.

Again, the question that needs to be asked is: what will be gained by this proposal? Building a transfer between the IRT Eastern Pkwy and BMT Brighton lines at Grand Army Plaza/7 Av would serve the exact same purpose the current Atlantic Av-Pacific St complex does right now.

True, but if it really is as simple as knocking down a wall, laying some tiles and creating some transfer (either OOS or non-OOS), then it's quite a cheap project to do (cheap in contrary to other ideas/plans).

Building a platform and stairs for (4)(5) is OOTQ.

I don't know what the track elevations are, but I don't think they would line up nicely. If I remember correctly, the tracks are different depths between the BMT and IRT and they sort of form a "double-helix" pattern.

If you're still talking about 7th Ave, the IRT Bklyn bound local is about the same height as the BMT, but the Bklyn bound express passes between the two, at a lower level. Not sure where either of the Manhattan bound tracks pass through there in relation to the others (under the BMT or on the other side of it, etc).

My proposed transfers that haven't been mentioned yet (as far as I know).

Hoyt St (2)(3) and HoytSchermerhorn (A)(C)(G)

Courtlandt St (R) and Fulton St (A)(C)(J)(Z)(2)(3)(4)(5)

Bedford Park Blvd ( B ) ( D ) and Bedford Park Blvd - Lehman College ( 4 )

Queensboro Plaza (N)(Q)(7) and 21 St - Queensbridge (F) and Queen Plaza (E)(M)(R)

Broadway ( G ) and Hewes St ( J ) ( M ) or Lorimer St ( J ) ( M ) (whichever is closer).

(Emoticon limit? Really?!)

Archived