Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.qchron.com/editions/north/oakland-gardens-wants-q-back/article_c6c1a19b-eeb1-504d-b169-989110ef0f3a.html

I say bring back the Q75 to Oakland Gardens and Bayside and extending it to Queensborough CC, from 165st Terminal but via Midland Parkway. This line was always packed during rush hours and during the day it died down but I think if it connects to the college it would be packed or maybe even to Northern BLVD to connect with the Q12.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjTK5cBbyb78.kKqFAET9YBtg

Edited by nuyorican

http://www.qchron.com/editions/north/oakland-gardens-wants-q-back/article_c6c1a19b-eeb1-504d-b169-989110ef0f3a.html

I say bring back the Q75 to Oakland Gardens and Bayside and extending it to Queensborough CC, from 165st Terminal but via Midland Parkway. This line was always packed during rush hours and during the day it died down but I think if it connects to the college it would be packed or maybe even to Northern BLVD to connect with the Q12.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjTK5cBbyb78.kKqFAET9YBtg

Just looking at the article

Weprin noted that a lot of people who previously used the Q75 now drive to work in Manhattan, which runs counter to the Bloomberg administration’s attempts to reduce traffic congestion.

They couldn't just walk to the QM5? If they took the local bus, and then decided to drive to Manhattan, why didn't they opt for the express bus, since it's cheaper than driving into the city?
Granted, I don't think the Q75 should come back. Most of the riders were people who missed the Q17, or those few riders from Fresh Meadows that decided to not take the express bus (which I bet some fled to the 88 or the 17).
Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Q78: Local weekday only service between Jamaica and Fresh Meadows via Hillside Av, Midland Pkwy, and 188 St. Bus will operate from 6AM to midnight between the 165th St Bus Terminal and 188 St/64 Av every 30 minutes.

Edited by lara8710

Q78: Local weekday only service between Jamaica and Fresh Meadows via Hillside Av, Midland Pkwy, and 188 St. Bus will operate from 6AM to midnight between the 165th St Bus Terminal and 188 St/64 Av every 30 minutes.

Since I frequent the area a lot, I can tell you, that is completely not needed. It takes the same route as the Q17, except for the Midland Pkwy segment. Midland Pkwy doesn't need the service either, most of it is walkable distance to Hillside (south of the GC) and to 188 st (north of the GC). 

Q77 is unofficially a school route, for the most part.... running it to JFK airport would have schoolkids along the way, making their way to other bus routes.... Hell, also, the route lags along the way just as the Q3 does, so the last thing that is needed is two slow ass routes running b/w JFK airport & 165th st. terminal.....

...and what's with the frequency of all these oddball ideas being thrown around? We, not too long ago, banned someone for trolling the forum in such a matter....

Who? I forgot actually. But I am curious what can speed up the Q3?

Alternating Q17s

Eliminating Q17 short turns, every other Q17 trip would start/end at Springfield/73rd (or somewhere near there), following the Q88 after 188th St.

There is no need for the Q17 to travel all the way to Springfield the Q88 covers that fine. The Q88 needs to be more reliable and show up on time instead of lagging and always showing up late. The Q17 short turns are kind of useless as people get confused and still take it even if they want to get off past 64th Ave causing them to crowd on the regular Q17. There needs to be more Q17's heading towards Jamaica during the school year because that part is horribly served and worst since the Q75 is gone. The Q17 may not show up for at least 20-30 mins and is extremely crowded and they bunch up in twos. So yeah I would agree just get rid of the short turns and run them to Jamaica.

Lol.... Yeah right......

.....But I am curious what can speed up the Q3?

For starters, speeding up whilst inside JFK..... I don't know what it is, but there is a stark difference w/ how fast Q10 & B15 ops drive whilst inside JFK, compared to Q3's.... I don't think I've ever rode a Q3 out of JFK that didn't crawl the route within airport property.... Saying it another way, it feels like forever for buses to get from T5 to Rockaway Blvd (the area around JFK Depot).....

As far as the route outside JFK, well, I don't think you can speed up the Q3, since the ridership is well spread out along farmers.....

Is it due to length or poor frequency?

Plus where do most riders south of baisley use the Q3 to jamaica or JFK?

are most Jamaica bound riders in that area make their way to other buses like Q83 or merrick Blvd buses?

- Neither.... read post above.

- Riders south of Baisley (south of Linden) on the Q3 are heading towards Jamaica over JFK, AINEC.....

- Far more Jamaica center riders in that area, over riders enduring that long(er) ride on the Q3 towards the (F)....

Just looking at the article

They couldn't just walk to the QM5? If they took the local bus, and then decided to drive to Manhattan, why didn't they opt for the express bus, since it's cheaper than driving into the city?

Granted, I don't think the Q75 should come back. Most of the riders were people who missed the Q17, or those few riders from Fresh Meadows that decided to not take the express bus (which I bet some fled to the 88 or the 17).

To be honest, I don't think they cared to bother delving into taking the express bus.... The immediate reaction to having the Q75 cut, was to get in their personal vehicles & ride it out (pun unintended).... It was their way of basically saying, we're not resorting to paying 2 fares to ride the (F), nor are we resorting to taking a long ass ride on the Q88 to QB, to then have to xfer at Roosevelt for the same (F).... For that, I can't blame them, because I wouldn't do that shit either if I were in their shoes.... You do have people that think like, hey, since you cut our local bus service, that means you don't give a f*ck about us (even though there are other buses in the area).....

The fact of the matter is, there simply weren't enough riders taking Q75's all day in any real consistent basis for the MTA to have kept that route around..... Instead of running it along 188th, I would have had the Q75 as a rush hour only variant, running along Francis Lewis (to 73rd, onward).... Would've went hand in hand w/ the shitty headways of the Q76 & all the people b/w Hillside & the GCP (meaning, within Jamaica Estates) that use the Q76 to get to/from Jamaica....

Edited by B35 via Church

Q64 extension along Jewel and 73 Av to the old Q75 terminal.

Agree with getting rid of the Q34 with increased Q25 service and a Q20B extension.

Also a Q23 extension to LGA.

One proposal would stir things up a lot, but lower the price of express buses. Why? So people in far reaching areas can afford public transit and afford getting to work in the city.

6 dollars per ride both ways.

12 per day

60 for a 5 day week, 72, 84 for 7 days!

This is too much. Not everyone can afford this. People shouldn't need to have to have a car to go places. These aren't the suburbs. 

For the long term extended subway service would help.

In the short term lowering express bus fares would work maybe to 4.00, also with a 1 dollar transfer to express buses from local buses.

Also light rail could be another shorter term alternative to the subway to be worked out.

New express bus routes could be worked out for these communities with regular buses that run non-stop from a certain point.

Another way to help is to lower all in city MNRR/LIRR to 4 dollars anywhere in the city, obviously excluding far rock and belmont pk. This would also provide a cheeper alternative to help serve these underserved communities. 

Also with lower fairs and easier access to transit more people may be willing to move to these far laying neighborhoods, not many to start but as more transit service comes these neighborhoods will be more attractive to buyers.

Q64 extension along Jewel and 73 Av to the old Q75 terminal.

Agree with getting rid of the Q34 with increased Q25 service and a Q20B extension.

Also a Q23 extension to LGA.

One proposal would stir things up a lot, but lower the price of express buses. Why? So people in far reaching areas can afford public transit and afford getting to work in the city.

12 per day

This is too much. Not everyone can afford this. People shouldn't need to have to have a car to go places. These aren't the suburbs. 

In the short term lowering express bus fares would work maybe to 4.00, also with a 1 dollar transfer to express buses from local buses.

Also light rail could be another shorter term alternative to the subway to be worked out.

New express bus routes could be worked out for these communities with regular buses that run non-stop from a certain point.

Another way to help is to lower all in city MNRR/LIRR to 4 dollars anywhere in the city, obviously excluding far rock and belmont pk. This would also provide a cheeper alternative to help serve these underserved communities. 

Also with lower fairs and easier access to transit more people may be willing to move to these far laying neighborhoods, not many to start but as more transit service comes these neighborhoods will be more attractive to buyers.

I wouldn't extend the the Q64, I just don't think it should happen, 73 has the Q88, and the express, which is enough.

As for a Q20B extension, how would that work. You can't really extend the Q20B, unless you mean a diversion along the Q34 path.

I also don't think the express bus should be lowered to $4. IMO, $6 is a somewhat cheap bargain for me. $2.50 is like robbing the bank. I wouldn't mind paying a higher fare on the subway. 

I also wouldn't do the $4 thing, it's enough city-ticket does that on the weekend. Takes ridership away from the express on certain routes, believe it or not.

I wouldn't extend the the Q64, I just don't think it should happen, 73 has the Q88, and the express, which is enough.

The Q75 wasn't needed then.

As for a Q20B extension, how would that work. You can't really extend the Q20B, unless you mean a diversion along the Q34 path.

Correct

I also don't think the express bus should be lowered to $4. IMO, $6 is a somewhat cheap bargain for me. $2.50 is like robbing the bank. I wouldn't mind paying a higher fare on the subway. 

How about 4.50?

I also wouldn't do the $4 thing, it's enough city-ticket does that on the weekend. Takes ridership away from the express on certain routes, believe it or not.

You don't think a rise in LIRR/MNRR ridership would outweigh the con in taking away ridership?

The Q75 wasn't needed then.

Correct

How about 4.50?

You don't think a rise in LIRR/MNRR ridership would outweigh the con in taking away ridership

I wouldn't go for $4.50, just keep it as it is.

The last sentence, is exactly what the MTA is trying to do, and moreso for the express bus, and not for a good reason. Cuts express bus service in favor for more people taking the MNRR/LIRR. The MTA is slowly doing what it can for the BxM3 (MNRR Hudson Line) and BxM4 (MNRR Harlem Line), making people taking those eliminated trips go over to MNRR, even if there isn't that close. We're suppose to attract, not diminish ridership. There has been times where eliminated lines eventually then had an increase in activity along the lines it served, but it was too late to bring back (mainly because the MTA didn't want to bring such routes back), and I have at least one route on the top of my head. 

why NIMBYs for a bus line?

NIMBY's oppose change.... A bus route cutting easterly-westerly through Hillcrest/Utopia where there currently isn't any service, is definitely a change.... An unwanted change.... I happen to agree with him.

12 per day

Yeah, but you can't have the local bus fare at $2.50 & the express bus fare as low as $4.... A step up charge of a dollar from a local to an  express bus would be futile, since the vast majority don't get off expresses to take locals (I was in a very small minority of express bus riders that fit that very bill).....

The last sentence, is exactly what the MTA is trying to do, and moreso for the express bus, and not for a good reason. Cuts express bus service in favor for more people taking the MNRR/LIRR. The MTA is slowly doing what it can for the BxM3 (MNRR Hudson Line) and BxM4 (MNRR Harlem Line), making people taking those eliminated trips go over to MNRR, even if there isn't that close. We're suppose to attract, not diminish ridership. There has been times where eliminated lines eventually then had an increase in activity along the lines it served, but it was too late to bring back (mainly because the MTA didn't want to bring such routes back), and I have at least one route on the top of my head. 

...which is why it's beyond annoying when QJT, like clockwork, brings up the railroad when we're talking about express bus service on here.

Edited by B35 via Church

I don't know what you're talking about, but the (MTA) actually increased service on the BxM4 during the week.  They only cut one trip on Sundays on the BxM3, and I suspect that's because they want all trips out of Yonkers Depot running no later that 22:00.  The BxM2 and the BxM11 run the latest on Sundays.  The BxM3 is just fine.  It gets enough ridership that I don't foresee any more cuts.

NIMBY's oppose change.... A bus route cutting easterly-westerly through Hillcrest/Utopia where there currently isn't any service, is definitely a change.... An unwanted change.... I happen to agree with him.

Yeah, but you can't have the local bus fare at $2.50 & the express bus fare as low as $4.... A step up charge of a dollar from a local to an  express bus would be futile, since the vast majority don't get off expresses to take locals (I was in a very small minority of express bus riders that fit that very bill).....

...which is why it's beyond annoying when QJT, like clockwork, brings up the railroad when we're talking about express bus service on here.

A service is a service it doesn't matter if it's a bus or train for getting from point A to B. If a premium fare his involved with 2 services the fastest wins.