Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Huh. You cut almost half the service to the Q27 as scheduled currently. Surely, they can't manage to run the line efficiently after such a reduction in service. But won't there be overlapping issues with the 26/27? Like why not just schedule them as 27 shortturns, some go only to horace harding as is. Will QV and CS manage to run the 26/27 during the rush hours? 26 takes quite a lot of buses to run now!

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

1)The overlapping issue on the Q26/Q27 is a moot point since during those times, the Q27 would run only LTD service west of QCC. The Q26 would be the only local route. Essentially, there will be empty buses in the AM which start from QCC or Auburndale on the Q26, which would pick riders up at local stops, and LTD stops, over the Q27 which would likely have multiple standees if not crushloaded. Riders on 46/47/48 Avenues wouldn't have such crowded buses in the morning because there are no riders from south of QCC getting on those buses. Outside of the rush though, there is slightly more service between QCC and Flushing.

2) From Flushing in the AM, riders going to areas south of QCC would either have to walk from QCC or take the Q27 LTD. Local buses would still serve Cardozo (the 56 Avenue/223 Street Stop) on the way to QCC in both directions (or they can take the Q27 to 58 Avenue). All local service during the times the Q27 operates LIMITED goes up Parsons Boulevard and Sanford Avenue (and does not follow the Q27 along Kissena south of Sanford or Holly Avenue west of Parsons Boulevard). That's why it doesn't get the Q27 designation.

Alternatively, you could do the following:

1. Extend the Q26 Hollis Court Branch to QCC via HHE, while making the buses running to QCC via 47 Avenue operate via Kissena and  designated Q27 local.

2. Run all Q26 buses via 47 & 48 Avenues instead of Hollis Court Boulevard and QCC.

3) The areas which would see a significant service decrease which may need to be replaced with something is the areas along Springfield Boulevard, namely south of QCC. That's why I have the Q78 operating. Since the headways during the rush hour on 46 Avenue basically the Q27 headways alone, you do save resources by not having to run them down to Cambria Heights. i calculated a savings of 10 buses in the AM). So I used 8 buses to run the Q78 along Springfield Blvd up to Bayside/Bay Terrace on 15 minute headways in the AM, 60 minutes midday, and 30 minutes in the PM.

I know the headway during midday hours isn't ideal, so perhaps those two buses can also be added back onto the Q78 to provide 30 minute service during midday. Those other 2 buses could be added in the AM so the headway can be every 12 minutes instead (and be either every 15 minutes in the PM rush, or increase the midday schedule to run every 30 minutes. Alternatively, you could dedicate those extra buses to PM service, making the headway also every 15 minutes, while adding more midday service, making the route run every 30 minutes during middays, thus making it somewhat more attractive for north-south travel in that general area of Queens (which is currently hard to do without making multiple transfers).  

PM service along Springfield, most importantly south of QCC, is left with only LTD service, which runs on the same headway in my proposal. However, the Q78 would operate to Cambria Heights during these times (via QCC) and would help relieve the Q27 going south during those times.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few proposals related to the Q26, Q27, Q31.

Q26/Q27: 

The purpose is to increase the service frequencies on weekdays, mainly because of the large crowds of students from QCC, in to the crowds of students from other schools, in additions to current buses being unable to meet demand at times.

For the Q26, service would have two service variations. The current variation, and another to QCC which "diverts" off the Q26 at Hollis Court Boulevard, following the Q27. The span of Q27 LIMITED service will be expanded

In the AM rush hour to Flushing and PM  to Cambria Heights, have the Q27 run LIMITED from Flushing to QCC. There would be no local Q27 service during this time. Q26 service will be expanded.

Here's the rundown of service for the Q26 & Q27 (Spans)

Even though it looks like only a minimal amount of trips were cut, the Q26 trips are much shorter than the Q27. The Hollis Court portion of the Q26 received a service and span decrease. Furthermore, the Q26 would start with the Q27 on Roosevelt Avenue, and run with the Q27 until Kissena & Sandford, then use Sanford to Parsons, and follow its route (the Q12 is there for riders at missed stops towards Flushing). 

The cuts along Springfield are indeed drastic (more than half of service is eliminated on the Q27 in the AM). During the time periods where the Q27 loses a significant amount of service, I would try out running a service from Cambria Heights to either Bay Terrace or the current Q31 terminal in Bayside (which I will call the Q78). This service would traditionally run during weekday rush hours, but will also have some midday service. It would maintain a link between Bell Blvd north of Northern, and Springfield Blvd (see below). It would actually create a direct connection between these periods.

QV would run the Q78, and QV & CS will split the Q26/Q27.....

Sorry man, but I'm not reading all those arrival times in the spoilers... Quite sure you can come up with a better way to convey what you want readers to grasp/take away from your plan here.....

Anyway, My immediate reaction to this is.... It's looking like you want to split the Q27 - without actually saying you want to split the Q27...

As I understand it, these are the bullet points I take from it all... Feel free to correct any misinterpretations...

Q26: branched to run b/w [Flushing & QCC] or [Flushing & Hollis Court blvd]...

Rush hr service expansion

Q27: Increased span of LTD service...

Rush hrs, LTD runs b/w Flushing & QCC... No Q27 local service (Q26 takes its place)

"Q78": runs b/w Cambria Hgts. & [bay Terrace] or [bayside]... mainly would run during rush hours, but has some midday service....

---------

Looking at rush hour service here.... You'd opt to expand service on the Q26, but cut local service on the Q27 west of QCC.... Concurrently, opting to truncate Q27 LTD service to run b/w Flushing & QCC.... You say you'd increase the span of Q27 LTD service, but what's the point of having midday LTD's run from Flushing to Cambria Hgts. when you'd have local service (as the "Q78") along Springfield running from Cambria Hgts. to (either) Bay Terrace or Bayside???? I don't get that....

Posting a bunch of arrival times like that doesn't make it all too easy as a reader to get the full gist of what you're conveying.... So I'll ask separately - How would the increased Q26 service compare to the current amt. of local service that is provided on the Q27 b/w Flushing & QCC? I'm asking that because on the surface, it doesn't look like you're increasing service at all.... It resembles more of a balancement than anything; unless LTD service (regardless if it's truncated to end at QCC during peak times) is drastically increased..... How many more Q27 LTD's would there be, in juxtaposition w/ Q26's? And again, how does that compare with the current service pattern with Q27 locals & LTD's?

To sum it up, aside from making more of a use of the Q26, I'm not seeing much of a benefit to all this (including the "Q78", which I don't see really helping SE Queens or NE Queens)... Over-complication, to have the whole thing resemble one huge wash in terms of service-wise....

Q31: I feel that there is connectivity issues in the intermediate area around Utopia Parkway after the Q31 turns off Utopia and travels on 46 Avenue. I have not seen many people utilize the service on the 46/47/48 Avenue corridor as well. I would have buses run on Northern Boulevard instead of 46 Avenue between Utopia Parkway & Bell Boulevard. Additionally, the Q31 will operate to Bay Terrace Shopping Center at all times. Select AM rush and PM buses will serve 32 Avenue and 26 Avenue. That would keep service to Holy Cross High School. Connectivity would be maintained from the Q31 to the Q27, and a direct connection will be created, which would be an improvement for the few riders who use the service (well, during rush hours). 

My problem with that route is that it's meandrous in NE Queens, period....

Specifically though, it's not that it uses that corridor in question, but too much of it.... I wouldn't even have the Q31 running along Bell, I would have it running along Francis Lewis (to eventually end at Bayside HS).... After turning off Utopia (due north), buses would retain the current route up until Francis Lewis - where it would then run straight up Francis Lewis to 32nd, then take 32nd to where it would end at Corp. Kennedy.... Instead of that stop being a NB Q28 & a SB Q31 stop (as current), it would be a NB Q28 stop & the last dropoff stop of the Q31.....

I would not extend that route to The Bay Terrace..... Don't see much of anyone south of say, Auburndale, really tryna get up there.... I'd argue that Bay Terrace folks don't really/don't even patronize that place (well, as much, anyway)..... When you have the Mall at Bay Plaza attracting Queens residents & not the other way around for Bronx patrons with The Bay Terrace, it speaks for itself..... Yes, both routes end at Flushing, but IMO, the Q13 & the Q28 are enough for that mall.....

I'd have no qualms with having no north-south service in the immediate area east of Francis Lewis, south of Northern... BUT if it is was dire to maintain such a connection, I'd take those same Q26's that are being extended to QCC, to run up Cloverdale & 223rd to get to Northern after the fact.... Where it would end along Northern, would be key.... Personally, I wouldn't entertain any implementation of that.....

Edited by B35 via Church

** split post**

Q9 extension to Lefferts Avenue via Rockaway Boulevard

For what reason though?

I would extend it to where the Q37 ends. (That would cost very little since the Q9 had a long-ish non-revenue turnaround path.)

I would extend it to Lefferts Blvd. AIRtrain, but your suggestion isn't bad either....

...While they're at it they need to close that stupid parking garage on Main next to the railroad bridge...

You talking about for the New World Mall? Man, IDK how many times I've almost got hit by a car coming out of that thing.... I'm generally hesitant about walking on that side of the street because of it..... It's most certainly dangerous & definitely impedes the "flow" of pedestrian traffic.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Sorry man, but I'm not reading all those arrival times in the spoilers... Quite sure you can come up with a better way to convey what you want readers to grasp/take away from your plan here.....

Anyway, My immediate reaction to this is.... It's looking like you want to split the Q27 - without actually saying you want to split the Q27...

As I understand it, these are the bullet points I take from it all... Feel free to correct any misinterpretations...

Q26: branched to run b/w [Flushing & QCC] or [Flushing & Hollis Court blvd]...

Rush hr service expansion

Q27: Increased span of LTD service...

Rush hrs, LTD runs b/w Flushing & QCC... No Q27 local service (Q26 takes its place)

"Q78": runs b/w Cambria Hgts. & [bay Terrace] or [bayside]... mainly would run during rush hours, but has some midday service....

---------

Looking at rush hour service here.... You'd opt to expand service on the Q26, but cut local service on the Q27 west of QCC.... Concurrently, opting to truncate Q27 LTD service to run b/w Flushing & QCC.... You say you'd increase the span of Q27 LTD service, but what's the point of having midday LTD's run from Flushing to Cambria Hgts. when you'd have local service (as the "Q78") along Springfield running from Cambria Hgts. to (either) Bay Terrace or Bayside???? I don't get that....

Posting a bunch of arrival times like that doesn't make it all too easy as a reader to get the full gist of what you're conveying.... So I'll ask separately - How would the increased Q26 service compare to the current amt. of local service that is provided on the Q27 b/w Flushing & QCC? I'm asking that because on the surface, it doesn't look like you're increasing service at all.... It resembles more of a balancement than anything; unless LTD service (regardless if it's truncated to end at QCC during peak times) is drastically increased..... How many more Q27 LTD's would there be, in juxtaposition w/ Q26's? And again, how does that compare with the current service pattern with Q27 locals & LTD's?

To sum it up, aside from making more of a use of the Q26, I'm not seeing much of a benefit to all this (including the "Q78", which I don't see really helping SE Queens or NE Queens)... Over-complication, to have the whole thing resemble one huge wash in terms of service-wise....

My problem with that route is that it's meandrous in NE Queens, period....

Specifically though, it's not that it uses that corridor in question, but too much of it.... I wouldn't even have the Q31 running along Bell, I would have it running along Francis Lewis (to eventually end at Bayside HS).... After turning off Utopia (due north), buses would retain the current route up until Francis Lewis - where it would then run straight up Francis Lewis to 32nd, then take 32nd to where it would end at Corp. Kennedy.... Instead of that stop being a NB Q28 & a SB Q31 stop (as current), it would be a NB Q28 stop & the last dropoff stop of the Q31.....

I would not extend that route to The Bay Terrace..... Don't see much of anyone south of say, Auburndale, really tryna get up there.... I'd argue that Bay Terrace folks don't really/don't even patronize that place (well, as much, anyway)..... When you have the Mall at Bay Plaza attracting Queens residents & not the other way around for Bronx patrons with The Bay Terrace, it speaks for itself..... Yes, both routes end at Flushing, but IMO, the Q13 & the Q28 are enough for that mall.....

I'd have no qualms with having no north-south service in the immediate area east of Francis Lewis, south of Northern... BUT if it is was dire to maintain such a connection, I'd take those same Q26's that are being extended to QCC, to run up Cloverdale & 223rd to get to Northern after the fact.... Where it would end along Northern, would be key.... Personally, I wouldn't entertain any implementation of that.....

I look back at the initial and I should have been more specific. There would be no local Q27 service between Flushing and QCC. So, the Q27 during the rush hour would still run between Flushing and Cambria Heights. The only difference is that it all buses will run LTD between QCC and Flushing in both directions. Outside of the rush and few midday buses with LTD service, all Q27 buses run local. This proposal would have the Q27 LTD run every 6 minutes during the height of the rush hour, in both directions. Currently, the Q27 LTD operates every 6 minutes in the height of the rush hour as well. The difference is in service outside of the height of the rush. 

AM Rush (Flushing to QCC portion):

For example, after 8:20 AM, the Q27 LTD operates every 10-12 minutes from Cambria Heights, with the last bus at 9:16 AM. With my proposal, the LTD runs every 7-8 minutes until 9:50 AM, and then the last bus departs Cambria Heights at 10:00 AM (everything after is local until the start of PM LTD service). All the AM buses go back to Cambria Heights from Flushing, so the frequencies from Flushing that I noted above end about 70 minutes later. LTD along 46/47/48 Avenues are more frequent and plentiful in general.

From about 6:15 AM to 7:46 AM, there are 15 LTD buses (compared to 7 on the current LTD) going to Flushing, running every 6-8 minutes. There are 19 local buses, about every 6 minutes (compared to 31 on the Q27 local and Q26), compared to current Q27 service, running every 3-4 minutes. There is a net reduction in 4 buses during this time along the corridor.

From 7:46 AM to 9:47 AM, there are 17 local buses (compared to 29 on the current Q26 and Q27 local), and 16 LTD's (compared to 16 Q27 LTD). There is a net reduction of 12 buses along this corridor.

From 9:47 AM to 10:35 AM, there are 6 local buses (compared to 11 on the Q27 local), and 6 LTD buses (compared to 0 as scheduled). There is a net increase in one bus along this corridor.

PM Service (Flushing to QCC Portion):

In the PM, LTD service to Flushing along 46/47/48 Avenues (especially the amount of trips and span) are a significant improvement over the current PM LTD service to Flushing (currently non-existent). Service runs every 6-8 minutes, but the later buses depart every 10 minutes (from 5:53 PM-7:43 PM from Cambria Heights, 7:03 PM-8:53 PM from Flushing). 

Towards Cambria Heights, there's more LTD service, to the advantage of riders between Flushing and QCC. From the time period between 2:10 PM and 5:24 PM, the Q27 LTD is every 6-8 minutes (30 total departures, compared to 3 as currently scheduled). During the same time period, the Q26 local is every 6 minutes, with the exception of the first few buses). There are 34 local departures during this time, compared to 36 on the current Q27 Local, and 7 on the Q26). While there's an decrease of 9 local departures during this time, there's an increase of 27 LTD departures during this time. This means during that time period, 64 buses depart Flushing, compared to 46 with the current schedule. The Q26/Q27 run every every 3-4 minutes combined, instead of the Q27 local running every 4-7 minutes. There is a net increase of 18 buses along this corridor.

From 5:24 PM to 8:53 PM, there would be 26 Q27 LTD departures (compared to 31 on the current schedule), and 28 local departures (compared to 44 on both the Q26 and Q27 as currently scheduled). The LTD runs every 6-8 minutes (similar to the Q27 LTD right now), while the Q26 operates every 6 minutes (the current Q27 operates every 6 minutes, and the Q26 operates about every 10 minutes). There would be a drop of 6 bph on from Flushing on the local, and a slightly lower drop on the LTD). There is a net reduction of 21 buses along this corridor. 

Towards Flushing, the Q27 runs every 4-5 minutes (12-15 bph) and the Q26 every 20 (3 bph), so the combined frequencies are a lot more than the current service, but there's a decrease in local service.

Springfield Boulevard Corridor:

There would be a net reduction in bus service during this corridor at almost every period. The only exception is middays and the PM rush period going SB, where the Q27 and Q78  both operate along Springfield Boulevard south of Horace Harding.The increase is by 1-2 buses per hour. Note the Q78 runs every 30 or 60 minutes during the midday. It will relieve Q27's going SB to Cambria Heights from QCC and Cardozo. That's why you still need the Q27 along Springfield Boulevard.

I'll get to the Q31 later on.

While were on the topic on flushing bus service i do think they should research making main street a transit mall like in downtown brooklyn or research other successful ones around the country, my only issue is the fact that we would be blocking a main thoroughfare in eastern queens

Edited by BreeddekalbL

I look back at the initial and I should have been more specific. There would be no local Q27 service between Flushing and QCC. So, the Q27 during the rush hour would still run between Flushing and Cambria Heights. The only difference is that it all buses will run LTD between QCC and Flushing in both directions. Outside of the rush and few midday buses with LTD service, all Q27 buses run local. This proposal would have the Q27 LTD run every 6 minutes during the height of the rush hour, in both directions. Currently, the Q27 LTD operates every 6 minutes in the height of the rush hour as well. The difference is in service outside of the height of the rush. 

AM Rush (Flushing to QCC portion):

For example, after 8:20 AM, the Q27 LTD operates every 10-12 minutes from Cambria Heights, with the last bus at 9:16 AM. With my proposal, the LTD runs every 7-8 minutes until 9:50 AM, and then the last bus departs Cambria Heights at 10:00 AM (everything after is local until the start of PM LTD service). All the AM buses go back to Cambria Heights from Flushing, so the frequencies from Flushing that I noted above end about 70 minutes later. LTD along 46/47/48 Avenues are more frequent and plentiful in general.

From about 6:15 AM to 7:46 AM, there are 15 LTD buses (compared to 7 on the current LTD) going to Flushing, running every 6-8 minutes. There are 19 local buses, about every 6 minutes (compared to 31 on the Q27 local and Q26), compared to current Q27 service, running every 3-4 minutes. There is a net reduction in 4 buses during this time along the corridor.

From 7:46 AM to 9:47 AM, there are 17 local buses (compared to 29 on the current Q26 and Q27 local), and 16 LTD's (compared to 16 Q27 LTD). There is a net reduction of 12 buses along this corridor.

From 9:47 AM to 10:35 AM, there are 6 local buses (compared to 11 on the Q27 local), and 6 LTD buses (compared to 0 as scheduled). There is a net increase in one bus along this corridor.

PM Service (Flushing to QCC Portion):

In the PM, LTD service to Flushing along 46/47/48 Avenues (especially the amount of trips and span) are a significant improvement over the current PM LTD service to Flushing (currently non-existent). Service runs every 6-8 minutes, but the later buses depart every 10 minutes (from 5:53 PM-7:43 PM from Cambria Heights, 7:03 PM-8:53 PM from Flushing). 

Towards Cambria Heights, there's more LTD service, to the advantage of riders between Flushing and QCC. From the time period between 2:10 PM and 5:24 PM, the Q27 LTD is every 6-8 minutes (30 total departures, compared to 3 as currently scheduled). During the same time period, the Q26 local is every 6 minutes, with the exception of the first few buses). There are 34 local departures during this time, compared to 36 on the current Q27 Local, and 7 on the Q26). While there's an decrease of 9 local departures during this time, there's an increase of 27 LTD departures during this time. This means during that time period, 64 buses depart Flushing, compared to 46 with the current schedule. The Q26/Q27 run every every 3-4 minutes combined, instead of the Q27 local running every 4-7 minutes. There is a net increase of 18 buses along this corridor.

From 5:24 PM to 8:53 PM, there would be 26 Q27 LTD departures (compared to 31 on the current schedule), and 28 local departures (compared to 44 on both the Q26 and Q27 as currently scheduled). The LTD runs every 6-8 minutes (similar to the Q27 LTD right now), while the Q26 operates every 6 minutes (the current Q27 operates every 6 minutes, and the Q26 operates about every 10 minutes). There would be a drop of 6 bph on from Flushing on the local, and a slightly lower drop on the LTD). There is a net reduction of 21 buses along this corridor. 

Towards Flushing, the Q27 runs every 4-5 minutes (12-15 bph) and the Q26 every 20 (3 bph), so the combined frequencies are a lot more than the current service, but there's a decrease in local service.

Springfield Boulevard Corridor:

There would be a net reduction in bus service during this corridor at almost every period. The only exception is middays and the PM rush period going SB, where the Q27 and Q78  both operate along Springfield Boulevard south of Horace Harding.The increase is by 1-2 buses per hour. Note the Q78 runs every 30 or 60 minutes during the midday. It will relieve Q27's going SB to Cambria Heights from QCC and Cardozo. That's why you still need the Q27 along Springfield Boulevard.

I'll get to the Q31 later on.

I feel that it would be much more easier of those Q17 short turns to Fresh Meadows were extended to QCC via Horace Harding and Springfield to cater to those college students and add a little more service by reducing the amount of trips to Jamaica. It would give the QCC folks their one seat ride to Flushing and reduce the amount of empty buses that appear on Hillside.  It's too late to restructure the Q27 completely because people south of QCC are now using it between Linden and Queens Village in large numbers, plus the wait for the 27 in SE Queens feels longer than Flushing. At least you know the Q27 to Cambria Heights is about to arrive on Main when the 17 to Jamaica shows up.

You talking about for the New World Mall? Man, IDK how many times I've almost got hit by a car coming out of that thing.... I'm generally hesitant about walking on that side of the street because of it..... It's most certainly dangerous & definitely impedes the "flow" of pedestrian traffic.....

Yep. It was always a stupid idea to have a parking lot there, but at least when it was a Caldor no one used it (lol)

The major problem is that NWM needs somewhere for deliveries. But at the very least they should close the private garage for shoppers. IIRC they give you like three hours of free parking if you shop inside.

** split post**

For what reason though?

I would extend it to Lefferts Blvd. AIRtrain, but your suggestion isn't bad either....

Yep. It was always a stupid idea to have a parking lot there, but at least when it was a Caldor no one used it (lol)

The major problem is that NWM needs somewhere for deliveries. But at the very least they should close the private garage for shoppers. IIRC they give you like three hours of free parking if you shop inside.

the pedestrians aren't the only issue, that driveway is virtually invisible and on top of that the Q65 bus stop blocks part of the driveway, making things worse. Either the city should remove the sidewalk and create a crosswalk or shut down the ramp to the private parking garage at the very least. 

the pedestrians aren't the only issue, that driveway is virtually invisible and on top of that the Q65 bus stop blocks part of the driveway, making things worse. Either the city should remove the sidewalk and create a crosswalk or shut down the ramp to the private parking garage at the very least. 

That's the point we're making.... That's why it's dangerous for pedestrians.

That's the point we're making.... That's why it's dangerous for pedestrians.

Agreed. I also passed there and thats the possible reason why some customers couldn't catch the bus; also, theres a ped light that needs to be removed after that ramp shuts down. However, that is up to DOT.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Edited by chenvinny54

(truncated post... post length reasons... still read the whole post though)

What are your thoughts about making the Q27 a LTD only route then (like the Q44, Q53, etc.), considering your "Q78" & the influx & expansion of service you'd have happen with the Q26?

I understand wanting to get rid of all those Flushing - Cambria Hgts (or the ones that short turn at the LIRR QV) local trips.... What I'm not getting is the real need for the "Q78" - Even you, yourself state that you still need the Q27 along Springfield.... Is the concern, the terminating of too many Q27 locals at QCC (of which would not run to Flushing, since you add an influx of Q26's & Q27 LTD's)? Is that why you have "Q78's" running to Bayside or Bay Terrace instead?

....also awaiting what (else) you have to say about the Q31...

While were on the topic on flushing bus service i do think they should research making main street a transit mall like in downtown brooklyn or research other successful ones around the country, my only issue is the fact that we would be blocking a main thoroughfare in eastern queens

What would be Main street's equivalent to Livingston st for the Fulton Mall strip?

Forget about College point Blvd; travel too far north & you're relegated to the gravel industry.... Hardly commercial Flushing!

Q22 extension to Kings Plaza. Thoughts?

Q22 & Q35 both don't need to run to Brooklyn... This is reminiscent of people on these transit forums suggesting that both of those routes actually be combined.... Wasn't fond of that 10+ years ago & still aren't to this day....

I honestly believe if the Q22 went to Kings Plaza, the Q35 wouldn't exist.... Not worth the tradeoff, IMO.

Save for summers, I actually think the Q22 should be cut back to B. 116th (to end with the Q35); severe waste of mileage b/w 116th & 169th otherwise.... Service would be much better than what it is currently on that route if it ran b/w B. 116th & Mott (A).... Tired of those epic layovers Q22's take on the B. 169th end.....

Edited by B35 via Church

What would be Main street's equivalent to Livingston st for the Fulton Mall strip?

Forget about College point Blvd; travel too far north & you're relegated to the gravel industry.... Hardly commercial Flushing!

On the list of 'ideas that make too much sense and will never happen', it would be nice if there was a way to link Union and Kissena directly.

What are your thoughts about making the Q27 a LTD only route then (like the Q44, Q53, etc.), considering your "Q78" & the influx & expansion of service you'd have happen with the Q26?

I understand wanting to get rid of all those Flushing - Cambria Hgts (or the ones that short turn at the LIRR QV) local trips.... What I'm not getting is the real need for the "Q78" - Even you, yourself state that you still need the Q27 along Springfield.... Is the concern, the terminating of too many Q27 locals at QCC (of which would not run to Flushing, since you add an influx of Q26's & Q27 LTD's)? Is that why you have "Q78's" running to Bayside or Bay Terrace instead?

....also awaiting what (else) you have to say about the Q31...

The thing with the Q27/78 setup along Springfield is that with the Q27, even on 6 minute headways, the headways on Springfield would be reduced (and I know people do use it along the Springfield segment), so there would be the Q78's in order to reduce crowding. The Q78 existing running north of QCC to Bay Terrace is a result of maintaining connectivity (as a result of the Q31 being moved onto Northern). Otherwise, riders would have to walk to Northern Boulevard from 48 Avenue, or take the Q27 to Utopia Parkway and then transfer. The Q78 would run no more frequent than 15 minutes (and that's only in the AM; all other times it runs, buses run every 30 minutes). 

As far as making the Q27 an LTD-only route, I don't know if I would have that happen. I can possibly agree to making the Q27 run LTD all day (from about 5:45 AM-10:00 PM to Flushing; 6:50 AM-11:10 PM from Flushing) on weekdays between Flushing and QCC, and have the Q26 run as the local while the Q27 operates limited, since Q27s do tend to get crowded even during the midday hours. The QCC and Cardozo students, among others, will slam those buses. I wouldn't necessarily do it for "crowd control", but midday Q27 service would be all LTD on 6-8 minute headways, while Q26 buses can originate at QCC. Perhaps some school trippers can be added during those times that QCC & Cardozo are in session, because of the amount of riders attempting to get on the bus (those school trippers would be Q26s). There could also be LTD service on that corridor during the weekends. What the headways would be for local and LTD's are up for discussion (I'm not too familiar with weekend Q27 patterns and ridership, particularly from Flushing, during the weekend periods).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Q31, the reason I would have it serve Northern, is because it would more directly serve the more commercial parts of Auburndale and Bayside, along Northern Boulevard. On top of relatively few people using the service there, I feel that the route does a poor job of serving the commercial areas in those neighborhoods, as it turns before reaching Northern Boulevard. I was never too fond of the Q31 using that route at all (although I understand that it maintains transfers to/from the Q27 that way to go to SE Queens). There are some commercial portions along Francis Lewis Boulevard, but businesses (restaurants, shopping, health clinics, etc.) are mainly located along Northern. It can head up Bell, and head to Corporal Kennedy & 32 Avenue that way.

At the very least, the Q31 can head to Northern, and then up Francis Lewis Boulevard (and follow your proposed route) so riders can at least transfer to the Q12 or Q13 if they need to instead of having to either transfer to the Q76, or walk to Northern from the Q31). Northern between Francis Lewis and Bell consists more of car dealership (although there are clinics in that area as well).  

I would try out running a service from Cambria Heights to either Bay Terrace or the current Q31 terminal in Bayside (which I will call the Q78). 

I've always liked the idea of a "Springfield Blvd. Crosstown" from Rochdale Village to QCC to Bay Terrace, linking a major population center with lots of activity centers (either directly or with transfers) while avoiding the congestion of Downtown Jamaica.

I've always liked the idea of a "Springfield Blvd. Crosstown" from Rochdale Village to QCC to Bay Terrace, linking a major population center with lots of activity centers (either directly or with transfers) while avoiding the congestion of Downtown Jamaica.

That makes no sense. Who is your market that is going to be going from Rochdale Village to Bay Terrace?

That makes no sense. Who is your market that is going to be going from Rochdale Village to Bay Terrace?

The main market is from Rochdale to QCC.

The other markets are from Rochdale and the rest of southeast Queens, via transfers, to LIJ, St. Johns, Bayside High School, etc. The idea is to open up travel opportunities. Bay Terrace functions as both a destination in itself and a handy place to turn buses around.

I mean, who is taking buses all the way from South Ferry to 125/2nd? Very few people go end to end on such routes, but lots of people should get on and get off in intermediate usage.

As it stands right now, pretty much the only way to go N/S like that is the Cross Island Pkwy. I would ride a bus that would let me avoid the Cross Island.

The main market is from Rochdale to QCC.

The other markets are from Rochdale and the rest of southeast Queens, via transfers, to LIJ, St. Johns, Bayside High School, etc. The idea is to open up travel opportunities. Bay Terrace functions as both a destination in itself and a handy place to turn buses around.

I mean, who is taking buses all the way from South Ferry to 125/2nd? Very few people go end to end on such routes, but lots of people should get on and get off in intermediate usage.

As it stands right now, pretty much the only way to go N/S like that is the Cross Island Pkwy. I would ride a bus that would let me avoid the Cross Island.

There seems to be enough of those routes as it is that aren't used enough. When I'm in Northeast Queens (i.e. Whitestone, etc.) buses like the Q76 are pretty empty.

The thing with the Q27/78 setup along Springfield is that with the Q27, even on 6 minute headways, the headways on Springfield would be reduced (and I know people do use it along the Springfield segment), so there would be the Q78's in order to reduce crowding. The Q78 existing running north of QCC to Bay Terrace is a result of maintaining connectivity (as a result of the Q31 being moved onto Northern). Otherwise, riders would have to walk to Northern Boulevard from 48 Avenue, or take the Q27 to Utopia Parkway and then transfer. The Q78 would run no more frequent than 15 minutes (and that's only in the AM; all other times it runs, buses run every 30 minutes). 

As far as making the Q27 an LTD-only route, I don't know if I would have that happen. I can possibly agree to making the Q27 run LTD all day (from about 5:45 AM-10:00 PM to Flushing; 6:50 AM-11:10 PM from Flushing) on weekdays between Flushing and QCC, and have the Q26 run as the local while the Q27 operates limited, since Q27s do tend to get crowded even during the midday hours. The QCC and Cardozo students, among others, will slam those buses. I wouldn't necessarily do it for "crowd control", but midday Q27 service would be all LTD on 6-8 minute headways, while Q26 buses can originate at QCC. Perhaps some school trippers can be added during those times that QCC & Cardozo are in session, because of the amount of riders attempting to get on the bus (those school trippers would be Q26s). There could also be LTD service on that corridor during the weekends. What the headways would be for local and LTD's are up for discussion (I'm not too familiar with weekend Q27 patterns and ridership, particularly from Flushing, during the weekend periods).

I get what you want to do with the "Q78" (improving connectivity north of QCC), I'm saying I don't understand the need for it....

Putting it another way, how many newfound riders can you expect to take the "unique" part of the route, once folks from the south disembark for HHE, Cardozo, or QCC? I mean, running Q78's from QCC via Luke > 216th > 48th > up Bell (past Northern) won't maintain a similar/same amt. of ppl. that would be lost from the Q31 running on Northern instead of 46th/47th/48th, as it's an entirely different riderbase!

Again, while I can concur with the idea of having Q26's replace Q27 local service b/w Flushing & QCC (Q26 local only, Q27 LTD only b/w those 2 points), and while I can understand getting folks on the Q31 (from the south) to Northern Blvd quicker, I don't like the idea of cutting the amount of Q27 local trips you would to try to justify that "Q78"... As an alternative to your plan, I would simply have the:

- Q27 local trips that'd run from Cambria Hgts. end at [QCC] or [HHE]

- Q27 LTD trips that'd run from [Cambria Hgts.] or [LIRR QV] end at Flushing

....while still doing what you want to do w/ the Q31....

=======================================

This is how I'd change things around, regarding those 3 routes in question...

Q26: Span expansion & service increase to supplement the Q27 b/w Flushing & QCC... Hollis court blvd service eliminated...

Q27: Slight amt. of overall local trips cut (a net increase of local service b/w Flushing & QCC would still result, see Q26)... also, span expansion of Q27 LTD service...

Q31: From the 46th/47th corridor, buses would turn off on (and run up) Francis Lewis instead of Bell, enroute to Bayside HS via 32nd...

Basically, I wouldn't bother diverting & re-branding local Q27 trips to have them connect Springfield to Bell, because I see it as a non-starter (see 2nd paragraph)...

There seems to be enough of those routes as it is that aren't used enough. When I'm in Northeast Queens (i.e. Whitestone, etc.) buses like the Q76 are pretty empty.

I feel like that's a bad example, especially on weekends. Yes, there isn't much ridership in that area, but on weekends it dies down in those areas. I would say that weekend ridership above Northern Boulevard is very small, compared to ridership coming from Jamaica and along Francis Lewis Boulevard.

I feel like that's a bad example, especially on weekends. Yes, there isn't much ridership in that area, but on weekends it dies down in those areas. I would say that weekend ridership above Northern Boulevard is very small, compared to ridership coming from Jamaica and along Francis Lewis Boulevard.

If anything express bus service should be improved, and they should add more service to lines that suffer from crowding. Not one express bus with half hour service on weekends. The QM5/QM6 combo comes close, but service also ends too early on lines like the QM2.

The Q76 is much farther west than Springfield though. If I were to go that far west to go north instead of stopping at Springfield, that would easily add an additional 30 minutes to the trip.