Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Personally I think the only platforms that should be lengthened are the ones served by the (M) (if possible).

I mean sure, but what happens when something goes wrong on 6th or Myrtle? Then we have trains stranded going places where they physically can’t platform. That’s why if you ever did that, you’d at least have to lengthen as far as Bway Jct and Chambers — at which point it seems sensical to go the whole way. 

In the interim, if we really need more than 480’ trains there, we could probably run 9 car sets without platform mods — remember we used to run 8 cars of 67’ standards on those lines. The only issues then would (possibly) be with ENY yard track lengths. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

That's what I last heard about the relay tracks. Your solution was the only viable option that came to mind.  IIRC much of the unused trackage along the Nassau line is/was being removed anyhow with only the basics left to maintain.  BTW Wallyhorse your proposal for 600 foot platforms along the Eastern BMT could only be viable if the structure was torn down and the current services were placed underground in Brooklyn and Queens IMO. They're not running wooden el cars or lightweight equipment these days.  Reinforcing the structures and maintenance would be extremely costly. Carry on. 

First up would be the ones on the Nassau portion up to an including Essex Street.  Many of them likely only have to be lengthened 65 feet or so because it's been noted before that those platforms used to serve eight-car BMT Standard trains that were 534 feet, so those likely can be lengthened to handle 600 foot trains.

The rest would be much, much later.

Southbound (A) trains are running local from 59 St-Columbus Circle to W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Southbound (A) and (C) trains are stopping along the (F) line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to Jay St-MetroTech.

These service changes are because a train's brakes were automatically activated at Fulton St.

Expect delays in (A) , (C) , (E) and (F) train service.

This may or may not evolve. I'm guessing there's no way to adequate reroute trains, so they'll have to just hold trains if it's necessary. However, Subway Time is reporting 'Delayed' readings on the Northbound board. So, we might be dealing with something a little more complex than what's below:

Delays  Posted: 09/04/2018 11:34PM 

Southbound (A) and (D) trains are running with delays because a train's brakes are automatically activated at Jay St-MetroTech Ctr

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

This may or may not evolve. I'm guessing there's no way to adequate reroute trains, so they'll have to just hold trains if it's necessary. However, Subway Time is reporting 'Delayed' readings on the Northbound board. So, we might be dealing with something a little more complex than what's below:

Delays  Posted: 09/04/2018 11:34PM 

Southbound (A) and (D) trains are running with delays because a train's brakes are automatically activated at Jay St-MetroTech Ctr

I got caught in this one. They suspended (D) service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, so in my efforts to get from Manhattan to Culver, I ended up having to come via Williamsburg (including a nice long session sitting on the Metro Ave. (G) platform). Good times, folks...

Edit: this is what they have now (~1:35)

There is no (A) and (D) train service in both directions between Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

Northbound (A) trains end at Broadway Junction.

Southbound (A) trains end at 59 St-Columbus Circle.

Northbound (D) trains end at Jay St-MetroTech.

Southbound (D) trains end at Canal St. 

As an alternative, from Canal St customers can take the (F) train for continue service to/from Brooklyn arriving on the (Q) platform. [bolding is mine]

These service changes are because a train's brakes were automatically activated at Jay St-MetroTech.

Pray, MTA, how does one transfer from the (D) to the (Q) at Canal? 

Edited by RR503

4 hours ago, RR503 said:

I got caught in this one. They suspended (D) service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, so in my efforts to get from Manhattan to Culver, I ended up having to come via Williamsburg (including a nice long session sitting on the Metro Ave. (G) platform). Good times, folks...

There is no (A) and (D) train service in both directions between Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

As an alternative, from Canal St customers can take the (F) train for continue service to/from Brooklyn arriving on the (Q) platform. [bolding is mine]

These service changes are because a train's brakes were automatically activated at Jay St-MetroTech.

I wouldn't touch the subway in this weather. Must be walking in the pits of hell in this heat and humidity. I saw so many people wiping their faces yesterday. I was only it for 5 minutes and I was starting to sweat. By then the express bus came.

7 hours ago, RR503 said:

What I would have done is, instead of that nonsense (which suspended some Fulton service rather unecessarily) would have been to route the (D) to Court Square, so at least people have transfers to the (L) and (E)(7) into Manhattan. The (A) should have terminated at Jay Street, so that people can transfer to the (N) for continuing service to/from Manhattan.

Who knows though, maybe they did reroute some (D) trains via Crosstown.

Service Change

Northbound (C) trains are running express from Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle.

Northbound (E) trains are running express from Canal St to 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal.

These service changes are because a train's brakes were automatically activated at W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Expect delays in (A) , (C) and (E) train service.

For service to bypassed stations, transfer to a southbound (C) or (E) train at W 4 St-Washington Sq, 34 St-Penn Station or 59 St-Columbus Circle.

Delays

Southbound (B) and (D) trains are running with delays because of signal problems at W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Posted: 9/5/18 4:01 PM

Based on Subway Time:

(B) and (D) trains are running on the (F) to Coney Island.

Service Change

Northbound (C) trains are running express from Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle.

Northbound (E) trains are running express from Canal St to 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal.

These service changes are because a train's brakes were automatically activated at W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Expect delays in (A) , (C) and (E) train service.

For service to bypassed stations, transfer to a southbound (C) or (E) train at W 4 St-Washington Sq, 34 St-Penn Station or 59 St-Columbus Circle.

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I saw a (D) pull into Coney Island at 6:00. With the (G) running local, I hope they took some common sense measures and ran the 6 Avenue expresses express along Culver as well. Knowing the MTA, they probably also cut the (B) short at Kings Highway and ran it light to the yard, screwing over Brighton customers who could have transferred to the (Q) at Coney Island.

What does the average rider think when they see “ a trains brakes were activated” ? I would think “the MTA really needs to fix those trains!” They should write “emergency brakes” that’s a little better. 

Edited by Abba

27 minutes ago, Abba said:

What does the average rider think when they see “ a trains brakes were activated” ? I would think “the MTA really needs to fix those trains!” They should write “emergency brakes” that’s a little better. 

Bringing in my Aviation perspective the public doesn't digest the word "Emergency" very well and considering the relative frequency of the occurrence (some events which cannot be prevented by the MTA). I can just hear it now "you know MTA, if you have an emergency everyday maybe you're the problem". It's a PR door best left closed in my opinion.

Day two of the West 4 Street Signal Problems:

Service Change  Posted: 09/06/2018 11:40AM 

Some southbound (B) and (D) trains are stopping along the (A) line from 59 St-Columbus Circle to Jay St-MetroTech and then on the (F) line to Coney Island-Stillwell Av because of signal problems at W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Expect delays in (B) , (D) and (F) train service.

------------------------------------------------------

There have been (2) and (3) delays from the early morning, but now it has evolved:

Delays  Posted: 09/06/2018 12:33PM 

(2) and (3) trains are delayed while we perform an urgent switch replacement on the (3) line at Harlem-148 St

Service Change  Posted: 09/06/2018 11:35AM 
(3) trains are running on the (1) line between 72 St and 137 St-City College while we perform an urgent switch replacement at Harlem-148 St.

There is no (3) train service north of 72 St.

To get to Harlem-148 St, take the (2) to 135 St, then transfer to a local bus (M2, M7 or M102): http://bustime.mta.info/

19 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Day two, part two! Will it evolve, stay tuned to find out...

Delays

Southbound (B) and (D) trains are running with delays because of signal problems at W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Posted: 9/6/18 5:54 PM

Something doth tell me that this new interlocking system is troubled...

First it was Herald (Hellwald?) Square’s endless meltdowns, and now this. Add into that the rush hour GO posted over in the PSC thread, and one is left with an unbelievably dark picture of our attempts at ‘modernization.’ Hope this clears... 

Edited by RR503

5 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Something doth tell me that this new interlocking system is troubled...

First it was Herald (Hellwald?) Square’s endless meltdowns, and now this. Add into that the rush hour GO posted over in the PSC thread, and one is left with an unbelievably dark picture of our attempts at ‘modernization.’ Hope this clears... 

If they don't properly fix this, it will fail pretty badly, like the Bergen Street one last March. 

Well, looks like the West 4 Street problem went away for now, but here's another one:

Service Change  Posted: 09/06/2018  8:03PM 

Northbound (W) trains are stopping along the  (Q) line from 57 St-7 Av and end at 96 St.

(N) and (W) trains are running with delays in both directions.

These service changes are because of switch problems at Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

Expect delays in (N) , (Q) , and (W) train service.